The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the new Star Trek game coming out will have an original orchestral score by Giacchino!!!!

http://news.yahoo.co...-035914361.html

Now you know what Michael was doing in 2012.
UPDATE!!

THE ARTICLE WAS WRONG!

It is actually Chad Seiter who wrote the score for the Star Trek video game - he himself confirmed so via a post on the FSM boards

Sorry guys, you get a score by me. At least it was a 120 piece orchestra, not 100.

But I can promise you... it is REALLY cool. I'm very proud of it.

:)

Chad

As for whether or not there will be a CD, he said

I have not looked into it yet, but I would definitely like to put out a CD, or at least a digital delivery. I am incredibly proud of the work and with such a gigantic orchestra, it would be a shame for it never to see the light of day.

Chad

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=94257&forumID=1

Who borrowed from who?

The Postman's theme from Twilight Princess

vs.

Nelec's theme from Super 8 (which actually is the same as his Nazi theme from Secret Weapons over Normandy)

obviously its not a complete match, but its close enough to confuse me when humming either theme.

That sounds awful.

ROTFLMAO

Seriously, though... this is pretty bad. Though there are some

promising facets; most notably, Seiter seems to be recognised that the

2009's theme isn't really a theme, it's a motif - and not a very good

one, at that. It works best when it's driving something else - as in the

fanfare at the beginning, and in the action cue at 1:24, where it

receives a significant expansion, shifts to major key, etc - it almost becomes a theme in its own right...

That said, the music in this trailer is mostly themeless, as is the

modern style. I'm not going to write off the score yet - I think it's

going to have some genuniely impressive moments - but I'm not expecting

too much from Chad Seiter, who proved himself completely not up

to the challenge of Zelda and who isn't really progressing at all from

his "Chris Tilton's Assistant" style - which, given that Tilton himself

is stuck in "Michael Giacchino's Assistant" style... doesn't really give

him a lot of hope.

Still... it could've been worse. I'm tentatively intrigued.

Seriously, though... this is pretty bad. Though there are some

promising facets; most notably, Seiter seems to be recognised that the

2009's theme isn't really a theme, it's a motif - and not a very good

one, at that. It works best when it's driving something else - as in the

fanfare at the beginning, and in the action cue at 1:24, where it

receives a significant expansion, shifts to major key, etc - it almost becomes a theme in its own right...

That said, the music in this trailer is mostly themeless, as is the

modern style. I'm not going to write off the score yet - I think it's

going to have some genuniely impressive moments - but I'm not expecting

too much from Chad Seiter, who proved himself completely not up

to the challenge of Zelda and who isn't really progressing at all from

his "Chris Tilton's Assistant" style - which, given that Tilton himself

is stuck in "Michael Giacchino's Assistant" style... doesn't really give

him a lot of hope.

Still... it could've been worse. I'm tentatively intrigued.

This is a good response indeed.

You shouldn't quote someone from another site without linking back to where you got the quote from

The site had links to copyrighted material.

I imagine Jason going cross-eyed shouting: "ERROR, DOES NOT COMPUTE. ERROR, DOES NOT COMPUTE!"

;)

• 4 weeks later...

MICHAEL GIACCHINO TO PERFORM AT THE VARÈSE SARABANDE 35th ANNIVERSARY GALA!

Still adding to our unbelievable line up for the Varèse Sarabande 35th Anniversary Concert Gala with the Golden State Pops Orchestra ... we are thrilled to announce that Academy-Award winning composer Michael Giacchino will be joining our evening festivities! Though a relative newcomer, compared to some of the composers we have been working with for decades, Michael Giacchino has skyrocketed to the top ranks of film music with such scores as Lost, Alias, Star Trek, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Up, Ratatouille, The Incredibles, Speed Racer, Let Me In and Super 8. Don't miss Michael Giacchino conducting the GSPO on May 11, 2013 as part of Varèse Sarabande's historic anniversary festivities!
Michael Giacchino, Robert Townson and Tim Simonec. Newman Scoring Stage, Los Angeles, CA. March 7, 2013.
Tickets are selling fast. http://www.gspo.com/season.php

• 4 weeks later...

Jim Ware has reported that last night in Lucerne (for the Star Trek: Live To Projection concert), Giacchino himself confirmed that he'll be scoring Brad Bird's Tomorrowland, as well as one of the upcoming Pixar films!

Jim's full report: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22678&p=895465

Upcoming Pixar films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar#Upcoming_projects

Monsters Univerisity: Randy Newman

The Good Dinosaur: Thomas Newman

Finding Dory: Thomas Newman (probably)

Inside Out and Día de los Muertos are the ones he could score.

OK, so here's all the hoped / rumored / potential / confirmed jobs for Giacchio, post-John Carter

2013 (May 17) Star Trek Into Darkness (JJ Abrams/Bad Robot) - Giacchino!

2014 (April 4) Captain America 2 (Russos) - ???????

2014 (May 16) Godzilla (Gareth Edwards) - ??????

2014 (May 23) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves) - ??????

2014 (May 30) The Good Dinosaur (Bob Peterson/Pixar) - Thomas Newman

2014 (Jul 25) Jupiter Ascending (Wachowskis) - Giacchino!

2014 (Dec 19) Tomorrowland (Brad Bird) - Giacchino!

2015 (May ??) Star Wars Episode VII (JJ Abrams) - probably Giacchino

2015 (Jun 19) Inside Out (Pete Docter/Pixar) - ??????

2015 (Nov 25) Finding Dory (Andrew Stanton/Pixar) - probably Thomas Newman *Update 4/19: Thomas Newman confirmed

2015 (??? ??) Mission: Impossible 5 (Christopher McQuarrie) - probably either Giacchino or Joe Kraemer

2016 (??? ??) Día de los Muertos (Pixar) - ???????

???? (??? ??) 1906 (Brad Bird) - ??????

Am I missing anything?

Well with the confirmation that Thomas Newman is doing Finding Dory (source), I guess that frees up Giacchino to do Mission Impossible 5, if McQuarrie doesn't offer it to Joe Kraemer first.

This also means the Pixar movie he's working on must be Inside Out or Día de los Muertos

Probably Inside Out, I think the Día de los Muertos project is too early in pre-production to have a composer attached yet. But with animation - and Pixar - who knows?

Probably Inside Out, I think the Día de los Muertos project is too early in pre-production to have a composer attached yet. But with animation - and Pixar - who knows?

I would assume Inside Out just because it's Pete Docter, and after the success of Up, why wouldn't he go back to Giacchino?

Well, with Inside Out opening 3-4 weeks after Star Wars 7, it could be tough for one man to score both. Then again, since it's animation, it could be mostly written in 2014, then he goes off and writes/records Star Wars, then he comes back to tweak his Inside Out cues to the final cut and records it.

I think that's what happened with Cars 2

This also means the Pixar movie he's working on must be Inside Out or Día de los Muertos

I've become a bit weary of Giacchino's style lately(John Carter didn't seem quite fresh enough to keep me from getting bored), but I imagine Dia de los Muertos could make a wonderful Giacchino score. Although I know nothing about it besides the title (and the automatic Grim Fandango associations it carries for me).

Well, with Inside Out opening 3-4 weeks after Star Wars 7, it could be tough for one man to score both. Then again, since it's animation, it could be mostly written in 2014, then he goes off and writes/records Star Wars, then he comes back to tweak his Inside Out cues to the final cut and records it.

I think that's what happened with Cars 2

Exactly, it shouldn't be a problem because of that.

I've become a bit weary of Giacchino's style lately(John Carter didn't seem quite fresh enough to keep me from getting bored), but I imagine Dia de los Muertos could make a wonderful Giacchino score. Although I know nothing about it besides the title (and the automatic Grim Fandango associations it carries for me).

And that's not even the title. :P It's untitled, but about Día de los Muertos.

Agreed. Stylistically, Giacchino isn't quite holding up my interest these days. But if Dia de Los Muertos will deliver a kind of fun, quirky package like Ratatouille, I'll take it.

And Dia de Los Muertos means Day of the Dead. It's basically Mexican Halloween.

I wonder how it will be, like Brave somewhere in pre-Hispanic Mexico? Maybe with gods in it? Or some story in the modern day? WIll it be openly comedic? There's a lot of possibilities here!

I wonder how it will be, like Brave somewhere in pre-Hispanic Mexico? Maybe with gods in it? Or some story in the modern day? WIll it be openly comedic? There's a lot of possibilities here!

With the new Pixar, expect openly comedic (to an almost-shallow level) with no real or significant emotional depth.

you're starting to sound like depressed-chaac!

what happened to you, kaykay?

I didn't realize I came off like that...it's a disease I tell ya! Curse you Chaac!

Although you could say my life isn't at its best at the moment.

I'll make sure to include that in my suicide note. ;)

I didn't take that too far did I? If I did, I apologize.

Día de los Muertos could be a blend of comedy and soft horror. It would be something amusing.

Now I'm imagining a sort of quirky film like that, telling the story of someone in a village in Mexico during that day. Suddenly, supernatural stuff starts happening...

I didn't realize I came off like that...it's a disease I tell ya! Curse you Chaac!

Chaac is the god of rain, not the god of depression!

I didn't take that too far did I? If I did, I apologize.

lol you're so canadian :D cute.

You aboot to make fun of us Canadians eh?

Día de los Muertos could be a blend of comedy and soft horror. It would be something amusing.

Now I'm imagining a sort of quirky film like that, telling the story of someone in a village in Mexico during that day. Suddenly, supernatural stuff starts happening...

That was what Brave was sort of like, and that turned out super great didn't it?