The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't get a break, can I- I work on improving my spelling, only to screw up in another way. It could have been worse, I suppose. I could have said "It was fantastic in the context of the mvoie mvoie"

I haven't forgotten about this thread, I just haven't anything new to say about him

Well I do have something but I can't post about it yet

And do the gods answer?

I find that question....offensive.

Neil - who knows only mere mortals have any use for telephones and that deities show up on tortillas in Mexico

From the new Film Score Monthly.

I always wondered if that is a detriment to me or something that will actually help me, because I love writing in all different styles and genres and having it sound totally different from a project that I did before.

The article also goes on to say, "...adding that the lack of an overtly recognizable sound to some isn't always seen as an asset."

...but it's the only way that keeps it interesting to me, and I really know no other way.

Neil

Yeah, well at least he's a nice hack who doesn't seem to be lying through his teath, unlike Horner.

What does H.A.C.K stand for, by the way? Hopelessly Apologetic Crap Kicker?

Hey, I was just watching an Alias episode, "The Getaway." It begins with a scene in a theater, where an old movie's soundtrack is used as source music. There's a fight, and the music transitions into soundtrack. My question is, does anyone know if Giacchino did work on this sequence? Or was the music entirely from the movie? (The credits don't mention the movie, and I haven't been able to find out what it was. It starts with a guy going into a detective's office and saying "I'd like to report a murder.")

From the new Film Score Monthly.
I always wondered if that is a detriment to me or something that will actually help me, because I love writing in all different styles and genres and having it sound totally different from a project that I did before.

The article also goes on to say, "...adding that the lack of an overtly recognizable sound to some isn't always seen as an asset."

...but it's the only way that keeps it interesting to me, and I really know no other way.

Neil

Sounds like the apologetic reponse of an H.A.C.K to me...  

Like Horners statement that there are only so many notes so some themes are bound to sound the same.

Eh? But he was saying he likes having a varied assortment of scores under his belt, not apologising for them sounding the same.

Sure, he's drawn influences from other composers in his work: Williams in Medal Of Honor (though with original themes, just similar orchestrations, right?), Barry in The Incredibles (though entirely intentional and with respect and humour), but what about Alias? Emulating Arnold's James Bond scores? I think Alias to varied to make such comparisons. And Call Of Duty? I'd argue that's an intelligent and highly original maturation of his Medal Of Honor scores.

Sorry Stef, I don't get what you're trying to say.

As for Giacchino's comment about "one's own style not necessarily being an asset", I think that's the sign of a man who knows the business and knows what people think of certain composers. The fact that he feels variation is the only way to keep his music interesting to him shows he has a passion for it too. Okay, Williams adapted his style endlessly for nearly 25 years, but if Giacchino feels change in each score is the only (and he said only, not best) way to keep it interesting for him, then so be it. He's an artist as well as a composer hired to score films and games.

Sorry Stef, I don't get what you're trying to say.

It's Steef, not Stef.

Stefancos is also fine.

As for not getting me, my opinion is well represented in this thread, I do not feel the need to state it yet again.

• 2 weeks later...
I just ordered Medal of Honor for less then a 10th of the price QMM payed for it on eBay.

I just ordered both scores for less than a fourth of the price QuestionMarkMan spent for just the first.

By the way, if you order both scores, you get a reduction apparently! Way to go Buysoundtrax! I mean, I just bought two scores (shipping excluded) for just a little more than the price of one CD here in Belgium.

That is also the main reason why I ordered it, btw.

LOL

It was a main motivation here too.

LOL

Max-Crazily considering buying them again for the autographs

LOL

Just got Mercenaries in the mail (along with an extra copy of the cd booklet autographed by Tilton and Giacchino which I didnt know I'd get)

The stuff so far is great! I really like the sound the Northwest Sinfonia is able to put out, very nice.

I'll edit later with finished impressions after I'm done

Max

Edit: Ok, overall it's a great soundtrack, very much in the vein of the MOH scores.

My fav tracks are the Main Theme, For the Motherland, Hidden Valley Bunker(the choral stuff halfway is fantastic), Relentless Pursuit, Explosion Scherzo, Thermal Event, Countdown and World's Best Carpool Lane

This has one of the weirdest hidden tracks I've ever heard.......

Max-Highly reccomends Mercenaries

and YES FOLKS!

After a month of being away thi thread still lived on without me. Proving once and for all this board loves Giacchinno. Whether they admit it or not. :mrgreen:

J.J. Abrams is now set to direct The Good Sailor, a movie about the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and a how a boy helps one of the survivors deal with the tragedy. Looks like we'll be getting another (maybe the last?) WWII-esque score from Giacchino.

J.J. Abrams is now set to direct The Good Sailor, a movie about the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and a how a boy helps one of the survivors deal with the tragedy.  Looks like we'll be getting another (maybe the last?) WWII-esque score from Giacchino.

Is Robert Shaw going to be in it?

Neil

• 2 weeks later...