The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

In regards to the release of a LOST soundtrack, found this on the fuselage

I heard from Burky today. They have had an official meeting regarding the Giacchino score soundtrack for S1 Lost. It should be out within the next 6 months. Once I hear a more definitive time frame, I'll let y'all know

Woo

Max

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've picked up on some themes/motifs in Lost. One for Locke and his past/destiny, one for Claire and Charlie (given a brilliantly dark rendition after Ethan is killed), one for the raft (and possibly Sun & Jin), and one weird one (in the track Higher ground in the unofficial OST) that's been repeated in the most recent episode (s2e6). Still can't wait for the album!

locke48wt.jpg

I've never heard the Claire and Charlie motif, I love the two Locke motifs (badass vibes!) and the Higher Ground theme has been played 3 times so far and is awesome. Once in the second episode, then in the first Exodus episode and then on the latest one.

Max-Lovin that Locke sig

I figured that Peter Jackson would have tried to license some of Giacchino's LOST music for parts of KONG if he decided that James Newton Howard's score was going in the "wrong direction" and canned him with 5 minutes before the film opens.... :mrgreen:

FINALLY the possiblility of a Lost soundtrack.... someone really should look into getting that website of Giachinno's updated, Didn't Erik say something about possibly wanting to take it over for him ;) Anyway as a web designer I certainly understand how updating a website all the time can get a little draining.

I guess not every composer can have a JWfan.net :thumbup:

Brian99_1

Because Stefancos started the original here in General Discussion in 2003 and 25 pages later Neil had to start it up again when we had the problems with the board.... Now here we are November 2005 and it's still here. Kinda late to move it now??

Brian99_1

Why is this thread in the General Discussion area?  LotR thread is in "Other", so why isn't this?

Tim

The LOTR thread covers all facets of LOTR, including non-music related items. This thread only talks about music.

Neil

Why is this thread in the General Discussion area?  LotR thread is in "Other", so why isn't this?

Tim

The LOTR thread covers all facets of LOTR, including non-music related items. This thread only talks about music.

Neil

:angry:

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity I checked out the Family Stone website... not much info there and the movie looks like a renter at best but There is music playing and I don't know if it's pieces of Giacchino's score.....

I really hope this gets to a soundtrack release since we haven't had a Giacchino disc since last year.

http://www.thefamilystonemovie.com/

Brian99_1

Just out of curiosity I checked out the Family Stone website... not much info there and the movie looks like a renter at best but  There is music playing and I don't know if it's pieces of Giacchino's score.....  

I really hope this gets to a soundtrack release since we haven't had a Giacchino disc since last year.

http://www.thefamilystonemovie.com/

Brian99_1

I don't know about an actual CD release, but I do know that the score will be available through iTunes.

-Erik-

Hi Erik,

That's great news and if it had come from anyone but you I would have never believed it. (seeing that you know the man and this is the first I've ever seen of it)

All my friends here at work think I'm nuts looking forward to this movie, I just keep telling them it has nothing to do with the Visuals and all to do with the score.

I don't know what it's like in Hamilton but in this end of Canada Score fans are few and far between!

Hopfully this means it will be in the Canadian Itunes store then?

Thanks for the Heads up!

Brian99_1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about a cd Release but the score for The Family Stone is available on itunes.

Here

Although this seems to be only for the American Itunes store. Which leaves me out :cry:

Brian99_1 - one unhappy camper right now

ComingSoon.net reports that Disney and Pixar's The Incredibles received three Grammy nominations for the film's music. The categories include Best Score, Best Instrumental Composition and Best Instrumental Arrangement.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/incredib...ews.php?id=3682

Woo!

Max

Hi Luke,

It may not be coming from Erik but here's a reply from Dan Goldwasser (works for Sondtrack.net) on the FSM forums...

"I am sure MI3 will get a score release."

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...31601&forumID=1

He would have a good shot of knowing since he seems to get to go to all the scoring sessions.

Here's Hoping - For this and The Family Stone!

Jeremy

After seeing every episode of Alias at least once and with how Lost is doing I have no doubt this will be a movie that JJ Abrams makes sure is nothing but pure spy fun and probably enough twists to keep us in our seats the whole movie.

Jeremy

Yay! Sounds great!

Did i heard anvils? I think that is going to be Giacchino's trademark :sleepy:

Haha, I thought I was the only one who noticed them!

:( This is gonna be a great score!

Varèse Sarabande will release the soundtrack to The Family Stone.

THE FAMILY STONE

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Michael Giacchino

Claire Danes

Diane Keaton

Rachel McAdams

Dermot Mulroney

Craig T. Nelson

Sarah Jessica Parker

Luke Wilson

From the producer of Sideways comes a comedy with heart. The Family Stone is a story about an annual gathering of an unconventional New England family. Before the holiday are done, relationships will unravel while new ones are formed, secrets will be revealed and the Stone family will come together through its extraordinary capacity for love.

One of the best reviewed films of the year, The Family Stone is set to be the emotional center of the holiday film season.

“A film that is staggeringly accurate, sometimes painfully accurate, in capturing the dynamic of a smart, funny, tightly knit family unit.” — Richard Roeper – Ebert & Roeper

The lovely, heartfelt and spirited score for The Family Stone was composed by Michael Giacchino, one of the most exciting new names in film music. Giacchino’s expert scoring of the television shows Lost and Alias have earned him legions of fans. His very first film score (The Incredibles) was one of the most acclaimed scores of last year and introduced his music to a whole new audience.

20th Century Fox opens The Family Stone nationwide on December 16.

Catalog #: 302 066 712 2

Release Date: 01/31/06

The series Lost (the first season) is pure genius. It's about people who are forced to confront themselves, the island and ... the Others. No ape, no dinos. There is, however, something unknown, hidden and mysterious. But we are not let in on the secret. And this keeps our mind creative. This keeps the audience alert instead of "spoonfed". In the end, it's not the secret that is important. It's the questions! It's the seeking for answers. And during this process we learn more about the people who are stranded on the island. Brilliant! Spielberg should watch Lost and re-learn what he has lost.

Alex

I've been re-watching S1 of Lost on DVD the last week, and I've only got the last two parts of Exodus left. Here's some cues I'd like to have on the album (spoilers, highlight to read):

- Pilot part 1: main titles

- Pilot part 2: climbing the mountain

- Walkabout: Locke stands

- Hearts and Minds: Boone & Shannon flee the Monster

- Exodus, part 1: the raft departs

Also, I'd like some of the other themes presented, like the theme for Claire, and the mystery theme often used for the hatch. And the end credits of course.

- Marc

Yes, Alexcremers, season 1 was great. What do you think of season 2 though?

I haven't seen it yet. I really hope that they can maintain the same level from the previous season. But from the tone in your post, I take it they failed?

Well... there is certainly mystery, but it's become a lot less mystical. The direction they took with the hatch... pretty much ended all of mystical John Locke faith thing. We still aren't spoonfed, but season 2 has quite different more scientific mysteries than the more mystical theme of the first season. But they continue to do a good job of making the audience seek for answers.

I agree with Morn. The 2nd Season is more rooted in interpersonal exchanges between characters rather than the shows focussing and isolating the individual characters to give some backdrop to their past. I like Season 2 has served to counterpoint Season 1 in this regard though. And there's more revelations this season. But LOST is the kind of show that is more allegorical and I think that's its appeal to a wider demographic than say Abrams' ALIAS (which I loved until Season 3).

Giacchino to me at least represents a budding Williams, not necessarily in the same amazing technical sense but more because he's got a style that focuses on a traditional orchestral sound, even if he's using synths. There's something very organic about his music. It's not plastic or cheesy. I really hope Varese or whomever acquires the rights to put out LOST on CD since it's really got the most exquisite music I've heard for a television show. Even friends of mine who aren't into film scores have asked me if or when a LOST soundtrack is coming out because they love the music. This to me is the biggest sign that Giacchino is destined for John Williams greatness- to be able to attract listeners outside the normal film score fandom is something else!

NP- Incredits

Giacchino current works are much better than Williams early works were.... and if he developes as well as Williams did he could be a master.

Morn, I'm enclined to agree with you except that Williams was writing in a period that was very unique and quirky in the music style- that being light jazz for romantic comedies. I think film scoring has developed since and also the stylistic breadth a composer can use at his disposal. I think Giacchino is incredibly gifted and I have little doubts that he'll become one of the highest profile composers in Hollywood before long. In fact, I'm frustrated that The Incredibles didn't garner more attention to him. I suppose MI3 will but I wish we'd get to hear Giacchino's take on say, KING KONG, or X3, or whatever.

Giacchino current works are much better than Williams early works were.... and if he developes as well as Williams did he could be a master.

I do not agree. Williams' early works had the markings of greatness. Lost in Space, Essay for Strings, Fitzwilly... They all showed virtuosity and as harmonic ingenuity. When I compare those to Medal of Honor or Incredibles, I feel Williams had more distinction in his early years.