The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

Sounds nice. But the beat still sounds very Zimmer-ish to me, especially with the accordion. Theme in there sound nice.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooops, i know this for over a week, i forgot to mention... :unsure:

Wnat a Zimmer-Giacchino comparison?

Well, i think giacchino is doing the Simpons' movie Videogame music :P

What an insult to Giacchino. ....;)

I forgot to mention that the upcoming videogame 'Fracture' by LucasArts will be scored by giacchino.

Fracture

Just a question for Erik Woods:

Does Giacchino have any interest in scoring an Indiana Jones or Star Wars videogame? Or does he prefer to stand appart?

What about the SW CGI clone wars or live action TV series?

I hope there's decent game material for him to work with and score. I'm certainly more interested in game-scores than games nowadays. This one might sound frantic given the nature of the game's combat, but the score could easily fail to cohere like CoD does. Who knows. I look forward to anything Giacchino is working on - he rarely stays in a comfort zone, and that's something you appreciate in any artist or composer.

Having heard The Lost World score of his, I find it quite immature (having regressed to it having first heard his recent output) and it does sound like it could be sequenced to just as high-quality sound nowadays, but that doesn't take away from his achievement. I can certainly hear it paving the way for scores like SWON (pretty much my favourite album of all time), rather than the Medal of Honor series.

Does Giacchino have any interest in scoring an Indiana Jones or Star Wars videogame? Or does he prefer to stand appart?

If some one were to ask him I'm sure he'd do it!

-Erik-

Hey Erik, just like to say I've only just realised it's you who produces the Cinematic Sound show I came across lately. Good work! I've particularly been enjoying the Gerdhart pieces. I take it Geocities doesn't accomodate a comprehensive archive of shows? I can't believe you've been doing it so long. Any chance of some eclectic composer-themed shows in future?

Hey Erik, just like to say I've only just realised it's you who produces the Cinematic Sound show I came across lately. Good work! I've particularly been enjoying the Gerdhart pieces. I take it Geocities doesn't accomodate a comprehensive archive of shows? I can't believe you've been doing it so long. Any chance of some eclectic composer-themed shows in future?

Well, Geocities only hosts the site. The rest... graphics and audio come from my "outside" account. I have all the space in the world but I've never achieved the programs. Actually, I've never even thought about relocating my entire site to Netfirms. Anyway, I just felt that once a new show is uploaded the other one just goes away. Actually, I've never really looked into the copyright issues that might come up achieving a program. At the moment there are four shows on the main page. 2 get rotated regularly (New releases and such) and 2 stay up for a while (best of shows). The best of shows are going to be coming down soon and it their place with be the Franz Waxman and Milkos Rozsa programs I'm currently working on. Those shows will stay up for a while.

As for eclectic composer themed shows... what do you have in mind?

-Erik-

If some one were to ask him I'm sure he'd do it!

-Erik-

That's great :)

What is not great is that Lucas or his minions have not asked him too :(

Awwww....

Philippe Sarde!

About a month ago I played two Sarde scores on my hidden gems show... QUEST FOR FIRE and THE BEAR.

-Erik-

There are many more great scores by him that could be featured.

Philippe Sarde!

About a month ago I played two Sarde scores on my hidden gems show... QUEST FOR FIRE and THE BEAR.

-Erik-

Very true. Can you suggest a few that you would like to hear. I don't have much, mind you, but you might suggest one that I DO have.

-Erik-

The only Sarde score I have on an original CD is Pirates. A wonderful score. :cool:

Marian - who for some reason ignore this thread so far and now isn't going to reading everything that's been posted so far.

Philippe Sarde!

-Erik-

Very true. Can you suggest a few that you would like to hear. I don't have much, mind you, but you might suggest one that I DO have.

-Erik-

Tess

The Tenant

Pirates

Lord of the Flies

These are great options.

Tracklist is up here

Mild spoilers

Le Festin -- Performed by Camille

Welcome to Gusteau's

This Is Me

Granny Get Your Gun

100 Rat Dash

Wall Rat

Cast of Cooks

A Real Gourmet Kitchen

Souped Up

Is it Soup Yet?

A New Deal

Remy Drives a Linguini

Colette Shows Him Le Ropes

Special Order

Kiss & Vinegar

Losing Control

Heist to See You

The Paper Chase

Remy's Revenge

Abandoning Ship

Dinner Rush

Anyone Can Cook

End Creditouilles

Ratatouille Main Theme

That's a long tracklist for a Giacchino score. Lots of shorter cues then... That possibly suggests more Mickey Mousing than what we're used to from him, though I'm only speculating here. It is animated though, and in a very different vein from "The Incredibles".

here's the times from sountrack.net

1. "Le Festin" - Camille 2:50

2. Welcome To Gusteau's 0:38

3. This Is Me 1:41

4. Granny Get Your Gun 2:01

5. 100 Rat Dash 1:47

6. Wall Rat 2:41

7. Cast Of Cooks 1:41

8. A Real Gourmet Kitchen 4:18

9. Souped Up 0:50

10. Is It Soup Yet? 1:16

11. A New Deal 1:56

12. Remy Drives a Linguini 2:26

13. Colette Shows Him Le Ropes 2:56

14. Special Order 1:58

15. Kiss & Vinegar 1:54

16. Losing Control 2:04

17. Heist To See You 1:45

18. The Paper Chase 1:44

19. Remy's Revenge 3:24

20. Abandoning Ship 2:55

21. Dinner Rush 5:00

22. Anyone Can Cook 3:13

23. End Creditouilles 9:16

24. Ratatouille Main Theme 2:09

Total Album Time: 62:23

Ok so Lost isn't bad...I liked the Season 1 album,but grew weary of those dissonant chords in the Season 2 one.

Medal of Honor has a good theme

I need to find Call of Duty to post my indispensable opinion upon this thread.

Alright,now I'm pretty well equipped Giacchino wise.Seems to be the least worse option as far as new composers go.

King Mark. He's been posting here for quite some time. You'd think for uber-moderator would know that.

Alright,now I'm pretty well equipped Giacchino wise.Seems to be the least worse option as far as new composers go.

Yes, he is quite good. Certainly harmoically more interesting than many others. It's also nice to hear his devlopment, from his terrific MoH scores, which are very Williams-esque, to a more unique style in Lost.

And, as usual, I disagree with the phrasing 'least worst'. He is a very interesting talent. There are several others that are very interesting.

Yes, he is quite good. Certainly harmoically more interesting than many others. It's also nice to hear his devlopment, from his terrific MoH scores, which are very Williams-esque, to a more unique style in Lost.

And, as usual, I disagree with the phrasing 'least worst'. He is a very interesting talent. There are several others that are very interesting.

Yes,I agree,he's quite good.I like his MOH and SWON scores better than Lost actually(I've not listened in detail yet,but it's very promising).I got a bit tired of the dissonant string cues in Lost,especially Season 2.Anyways,what I've heard is better than John Powell,John Ottman and the likes...

I'm still amazed how a composer can be called brilliant, on the basis of a few animated scores, 2 TV shows and a handfull of computer games.

The test I use to determine is a composer is great has nothing to do with nailbiting action music, stunning suspense or a deftness for comedy cues.

Can a composer move me, can he put just a little bit of water into my eyes, can he touch my heart?

Only then am I prepared to call a composer great.

So far nothing I've heard from Giapooppie suggest to me that he can stomp with the big dawgs like Williams, Goldsmith, Shore, Herrmann or Horner.

His writing is very interesting, and very listenable. Just listening to his MoH scores, I get the sense that this is someone who knows how to use an orchestra. He knows melody, he knows what to do with it, he has interesting and varied orchestration, making a 7 minute theme and repetition highly listenable. I haven't heard any particular work that is great (I am not a fan of MI:3. Elfman did it so much better.), but I think he has the technical skill to do write some great scores.

So far nothing I've heard from Giapooppie suggest to me that he can stomp with the big dawgs like Williams, Goldsmith, Shore, Herrmann or Horner.

no,of course not,but now were dealing with people starting PotC and Steve Jablonsky threads here.

It's not film music's fault that people here have yet to learn the real qualities of the Desplats, Marrianellis, Powells, Dannas (though hardly newcomers) and others.

And, BTW, the only similarity between Powell and Ottman is their age group and skin color. Fine- hair color, too. And that they both have been spotted writing terrific film scores (Not recently for Ottman...but Incognito is one terrific score, for on).

No, it does not. But it means that should he ever truely master composing music, he'll know how to put the notes together in the way that they serves them best.

Can a composer move me, can he put just a little bit of water into my eyes, can he touch my heart?

Check out the finale cues from Walkabout and Exodus, part 1 from Lost's first season.

Also, the entire score to Greatest Hits, a season 3 episode.