The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is proclaiming him to be great. He has shown alot of promise and is, in my opinion, the best of the current crop of new composers.

The only people I see using the word great when talking about Giacchino are those who appear to be bitter about him actually having success or those who refuse to acknowledge his ability.

And this is coming from an old geezer.

I don't think anyone is proclaiming him to be great. He has shown alot of promise and is, in my opinion, the best of the current crop of new composers.

The only people I see using the word great when talking about Giacchino are those who appear to be bitter about him actually having success or those who refuse to acknowledge his ability.

And this is coming from an old geezer.

This is possibly the most perfect post in this thread. Right on, old man.

The Medal of Honor Vanguard soundtrack is up on iTunes and it seems to be just a compilation of Giacchino's previous work except for one new track 'Operation Husky'

I never really believed that he was actually scoring a new MoH but I guess this proves it.

I'm still amazed how a composer can be called brilliant, on the basis of a few animated scores, 2 TV shows and a handfull of computer games.

Do you not consider that, for those two TV shows alone, he's written over 100 hours of music? Entire careers can be based on that amount of music. But you're not talking about quantity...

However, under your criteria, I do call him great. His music has moved me on several occasions, touched my heart frequently, and, incidentally on the two TV shows you mentioned.

The Medal of Honor Vanguard soundtrack is up on iTunes and it seems to be just a compilation of Giacchino's previous work except for one new track 'Operation Husky'

I never really believed that he was actually scoring a new MoH but I guess this proves it.

Giacchino DIDN'T score Vanguard. The 2 NEW tracks on the Vanguard iTunes album is from MOH: Airborne which Michael wrote a completely new score for.

BTW, Stefan, Michael has written more than just a hand full of TV scores, 2 animated films and few video game scores. I have over 45 titles of his in my collection from a wide range of films, games, concert works and TV projects. Michael has a ton of experience behind him and just because you haven't heard a majority of his work DOESN'T mean that he not "brilliant" or really Goddamn good at what he does.

IMHO, I do think he is brilliant!

-Erik-

PS - Nice making of video from the Rat sessions.

http://bvim-qt.vitalstream.com/Ratatouille...t_Pod11_med.mov

I have over 45 titles of his in my collection from a wide range of films, games, concert works and TV projects.

Hey pal thanks for the Jealousy! :ph34r:

:P

I hope he can release MOH airborne in its complete form :) itunes is great in that aspect... you can put music without wating money on pressed CDs...

Giacchino DIDN'T score Vanguard. The 2 NEW tracks on the Vanguard iTunes album

2? I only see one on there.

and are you open to bartering for some of those Giacchino scores?

Giacchino DIDN'T score Vanguard. The 2 NEW tracks on the Vanguard iTunes album

2? I only see one on there.

Track 15 is labeled incorrectly. It's actually from Airborne... not Frontline.

and are you open to bartering for some of those Giacchino scores?

Michael will not allow this.

-Erik-

Just got Ratatouille and I'm really enjoying it, just some great listening music a la The Terminal

Very interesting video interview with Giacchino by popular online film critic David Poland. He talks about Lost, Ratatouille, his approach to scoring and various other things.

Poland also raved about Giacchino in his Ratatouille film review. Here's the bit:

Then there is the killer Michael Giacchino score, which is his most complex work to date, mixing up what seems like a half dozen major themes. While the score of The Incredibles (which should have won the Oscar that year) is all part of a whole, here Giacchino splashes together a wide array of ideas and musical references, not unlike Remy making a soup that will knock you out with one whiff. And like Bird, every time you think you are about to head over the cliff with something"too French" or "too cute," Giacchino brings you right back to something surprising and yet comfortable.

It took seeing the movie to notice it but there's another Medal of Honor reference (underground to be specific) in the Colette Shows Him Le Ropes at 2:28

I'm on the fence with Giacchino. He certainly has some talent but none of his music really does it for me. I am very familiar with all of his TV work, his short film stuff (at least some of it), all of his film music and have heard clips of this 'symphony' he composed. His music in film seems to fit nicely, however, the concert music I have heard of his has no advanced grasp of form. Concert music can reveal a composer's weaknesses in no time at all. Not to say that those composers who happen to write film music and are great at doing it can't be called great composers, but the Giacchino concert music I have heard is average at best. It's hard to judge a symphony without hearing the whole thing, but what I did hear was basic sonata form, which is ok, but it in no way pushed any envelope in the symphonic musical lexicon.

Each is entitled to his opinion, and there is certainly a lot of his music that I like, but this does not mean, at least for me, that it's great music. It's entirely possible to love a piece of music that truly sucks as a composition. The chase through San Francisco cue from 'The Rock' by Hans ZImmer is a good example. I love this track, but it's horrible music. I wish people more often could separate great music from music that you love.

My assessment of Giacchino's music as art is best summed up as music that sounds like a bad class composition exercise.

Medal of honor, i think.

Peterpandan, i m sorry but if giacchino writes bad composition exercises, i down want to think what the other composers (with the exceptions of the masters) do.

There's a new video up at IGN of the scoring session and soundtrack.net has a feature up as well

edit: video is actually at soundtrack.net so you might as well just go there

I wonder if Giacchino will score 1-18-08?

Well if they are going to stick to the whole hand held character POV thing there shouldn't be any score at all.

I'm at work, so I didn't have time to check out this video and see if it's the same as QuestionMarkMan posted. It was the Yahoo front page, and the headline only said "Medal of Honor Composer Speaks".

• 1 month later...

Just tried the game 'Ratatouille' and it features music by Giacchino.

Adititional music by Tim Simonec.

Hollywood studio Shymphony

the music is AIFF files but cant open them with quicktime...

• 2 weeks later...
Emmy award-winning musical composer Michael Giacchino will be appearing with cast member Terry O'Quinn on September 22 with the Honolulu Symphony Toyota Pops outdoors at the Waikiki Shell. Tickets range from $36 to $94, and various discounts (military, student, senior) are available.

Press release:

Experience the epic musical score of the hit ABC television series “Lost” as award-winning American composer Michael Giacchino brings this original music to Honolulu for its symphony orchestra world premiere by the Honolulu Symphony Toyota Pops and conductor Tim Simonec on Saturday, September 22 at 7:30 p.m. at the Waikiki Shell. Emmy-nominated “Lost” star Terry O’Quinn will join the Pops on stage to narrate passages as the music brings every gripping and passion-filled moment to life. Enthusiastic “Lost” fans are well acquainted with Mr. Giacchino’s breathtaking score and have been enjoying his captivating compositions for three seasons. The music of “Lost” captures not only the journeys, spectacular vistas and touching emotion, but also echoes the thrilling and dangerous saga of life on a mysterious island.

Awesome

Anybody has the lyrics of 'Each Night He Comes To Me', 'The Songless Nightingale'?

i get the general meaning and most of the words but i would like to understand all...

Erik, do you know if 'Le Festin' was recorded in English? or at least written?

Every version of Ratatouille is running with the original (French) recording of Le Festin so I doubt it was rerecorded.

Anybody has the lyrics of 'Each Night He Comes To Me', 'The Songless Nightingale'?

i get the general meaning and most of the words but i would like to understand all...

Hey Luke,

I posted the lyrics for 'The Songless Nightingale' in this topic back in march.... here they are again. I'll have to see if I can find Each Night he Comes to me.....

The Songless Nightinggale

Music by Michael Giacchino

Lyrics by Scott Langteau

Arrangment by Alki Steriopoulos

Vocal solo by Anders Marshall

Once there was a Nightingale,

with no voice at all to hail.

Other birds would laugh and sing,

while she cried behind her wing.

One sad day she flew away,

to the woods alone to stay.

Lost there was a little boy,

Seeing him home again would bring her joy!

Silently gliding she led from above the trees.

He followed her with ease.

To the forest edge.

There a hunter saw the bird,

Aimed his gun with nary a word.

Shot her down from out the sky!

And the boy began to cry.

He returned where he'd been found.

Laid his friend within the ground.

Since he made that noble choice,

he was blessed with a fine sining voice!

From within, came to him, the Nightingale's voice.

Hey Luke,

I posted the lyrics for 'The Songless Nightingale' in this topic back in march.... here they are again. I'll have to see if I can find Each Night he Comes to me.....

The Songless Nightinggale

Music by Michael Giacchino

Lyrics by Scott Langteau

Arrangment by Alki Steriopoulos

Vocal solo by Anders Marshall

Once there was a Nightingale,

with no voice at all to hail.

Other birds would laugh and sing,

while she cried behind her wing.

One sad day she flew away,

to the woods alone to stay.

Lost there was a little boy,

Seeing him home again would bring her joy!

Silently gliding she led from above the trees.

He followed her with ease.

To the forest edge.

There a hunter saw the bird,

Aimed his gun with nary a word.

Shot her down from out the sky!

And the boy began to cry.

He returned where he'd been found.

Laid his friend within the ground.

Since he made that noble choice,

he was blessed with a fine sining voice!

From within, came to him, the Nightingale's voice.

that was beautiful, thanks :)

But of course the bird could not sing. It was female! :)

The Belgian Navy Song

I'm in the Belgian Navy

Sailing the Seven Seas

I have stinky socks

To Keep away the fleas.

This was one of the funniest moments during the Mercenaries sessions.

BTW, the orchestra was recorded during the Secret Weapons Over Normandy sessions and the orchestra only version can be heard on disc 2 the SWON album.

-Erik-