The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it appears at the end of the opening and closing credits for Generations.

But you're correct about VI, the only two cues from Undiscovered Country that use it are "Clear All Moorings" and "Finale-Sign Off".

Then again, Eidelman's main titles aren't so much "main theme marches" as those that came before, but more like atmospheric set pieces. He put the fanfare where it belongs, before the music for the Enterprise and/or her crew. :cool: Also, Eidelman slightly changed the rhythm of the fanfare. I always liked his version.

I love Eidleman's main title for VI, it's not so much a main title piece as an overture. It's the best part of the score IMO.

To me the Courage fanfare always sounds best with Goldsmith's orchestrations (and probably helped by the fact that Courage was his top orchestrator). And I like how McCarthy uses it in Generations, it's more of a theme within the score.

I love Eidleman's main title for VI, it's not so much a main title piece as an overture. It's the best part of the score IMO.

I used to love it, but then I heard Holst's The Planets and realized that Eidelman had basically just emulated "Mars"; after that, I lost some of my taste for it. It still makes for a good credit sequence, though.

There's really only the rhythm from Mars in it. You could argue that Williams took more from Holst for the Death Star destruction.

Nonono, the overture is the piece that plays during the end credits. :cool:

I used to love it, but then I heard Holst's The Planets and realized that Eidelman had basically just emulated "Mars"; after that, I lost some of my taste for it. It still makes for a good credit sequence, though.

Eidelman had no choice, Nicholas Meyer wanted to adapt The Planets for the score but it would have cost too much so he found a composer who was willing to try something different and stick as close to the temp track instead of the usual Star Trek fare.

Eidelman had no choice, Nicholas Meyer wanted to adapt The Planets for the score but it would have cost too much so he found a composer who was willing to try something different and stick as close to the temp track instead of the usual Star Trek fare.

Sometimes what appears to be Holst is not at times. I think Mark is spot on about Meyer's insistence on using this piece for Star Trek VI, but there are some cases where it sounds as though the composer employed it and did not. When I interviewed Gabriel Yared for his TROY score, I was sure that the first track was partly inspired by Mars, The Bringer of War. Yared revealed that he'd never heard the piece until after he scored TROY. His use of the rhythmic ostinato was actually inspired by Ravel's Bolero. He actually played me the part on piano (I have the interview somewhere on minidisc....). I could definitely hear the translation of that piece to how he used it in Troy.

that is amazing because there as one cue in Yared's troy that sounded heavily on Mars, much like Zimmer Gladiator.

Anyway...which composer hasnt heard Mars on his entire life? ;)

Its like when Roque Baños said he has never heard a Hermann score, after being told he wrote Hermannesque scores.

Its possible but sounds unlikely at first.

Sometimes what appears to be Holst is not at times. I think Mark is spot on about Meyer's insistence on using this piece for Star Trek VI, but there are some cases where it sounds as though the composer employed it and did not.

Plus it's mentioned by Nicholas Meyer in the CD's liner notes.

After the 'fiasco' of the clones wars score. i can only say this:

I dont know how the industry works, but It never hurts to ask.

Please Erik, if it could be done (and if, as you told in the past, Giacchino would be interested in doing a SW score), try to suggest Giacchino if he could ask his agent to offer him to these kind of SW sequel projects.

I suppose that LucasArts thinks that Giacchino may not be interested in doing a derivative-franchise score (being the famous composer he now is) and only offer him original projects (Secret Weapons, Fracture...)

I also suppose that in recent years Michael's 'price' (caché?) is higher but then, for projects like the Clone Wars there could be the money for it, and anyway he is still doing videogames from titme to time (one of them being from LucasArts)

If Chris Tilton are you interested in this, i also encourage you to offer yourself ROTFLMAO

Or maybe - just maybe - not everyone has heard or appreciates Giacchino's work in the industry. Not only that, but they may prefer someone else's composition style to his, especially for their own vision.

Not everyone thinks the way you do Luke, the way you're talking suggests you assume for some reason they deliberately decided not to go with someone like MG just to spite you.

I'm not saying that...

But i find it stange that Giacchino has been hired twice by Lucasarts, and not for Franchise scores.

Specially when The force unleashed and the New Indiana Jones game will surely have an orchestral williamesque score. Its not like TCW where they may have wanted (dont ask me why) direction with the music. Still, im sure that if williams had said ' I want to score this' they would have let him and done it in the classic way.

I just want Giaccgino to try a Williams sequel. The best Williams sequel. ;)

But why hire someone who has their own unique style which they have now established with their film and television works to emulate Williams' sound? Sure, Giacchino channeled the Maestro brilliantly for Medal of Honor, but that was a long time ago when he was beginning to develop his own voice.

Then who's to say Giacchino would want to do it anyway? He has enormous respect for JW, probably enough so to not want to attempt to compare himself by adding a Star Wars score to his resume.

I'm just trying to say that you may love the idea of a Giacchino Star Wars/Indiana Jones score, but it's not very realistic, and - in my opinion - Giacchino could accept far better offers which are more suited to his style and imagination.

Maybe he's busy or maybe he wasn't interested.

That being said I'd rather see him devote his talents to something more worthwhile than Lucas's continued quest of driving Star Wars into the ground.

But why hire someone who has their own unique style which they have now established with their film and television works to emulate Williams' sound? Sure, Giacchino channeled the Maestro brilliantly for Medal of Honor, but that was a long time ago when he was beginning to develop his own voice.

Then who's to say Giacchino would want to do it anyway? He has enormous respect for JW, probably enough so to not want to attempt to compare himself by adding a Star Wars score to his resume.

I'm just trying to say that you may love the idea of a Giacchino Star Wars/Indiana Jones score, but it's not very realistic, and - in my opinion - Giacchino could accept far better offers which are more suited to his style and imagination.

I think i remember Erik Woods saying Giacchino would like to score a Star Wars or Indiana Jones videogame. Of course he may not be interested NOW.

Anyway he is doing Star Trek. And did Mission Impossible III.

He certainly adapted MI:3 to suit his own style. The string writing in that score screams Giacchino. If he was to do the same with a Star Wars/Jones score, you'd be faced with the same problem.

Also it's reported at this stage that the only established material from Star Trek he's using is the Courage fanfare.

(...)

Also it's reported at this stage that the only established material from Star Trek he's using is the Couraga fanfare.

Not bad. I don't know most of the ST scores except the first two, but both Jerry and James came up with their own main themes and utilized their own styles to illustrate the adventures of Enterprise crew, and no one complains. I think Giacchino is able to do an outstanding score without having to make reference to the previous material. I hope, at least. :)

He certainly adapted MI:3 to suit his own style. The string writing in that score screams Giacchino. If he was to do the same with a Star Wars/Jones score, you'd be faced with the same problem.

Also it's reported at this stage that the only established material from Star Trek he's using is the Couraga fanfare.

Look, and Kiner basically just used the Star Wars Main theme.

I rather would have had a Giacchino style, full orchestral star Wars score than the actual kiner score.

Okay, that makes sense. We all know (well, most of us) that Giacchino would create something interesting and fun to listen to. it's just the way you were wording your posts - it seemed as if you wanted Giacchino because he could emulate Williams' style better, and I disagreed. At any rate, I would still buy and probably like a Gia score to SW or Indy. I just think he may as well do something else though.

(...)

Not bad. I don't know most of the ST scores except the first two, but both Jerry and James came up with their own main themes and utilized their own styles to illustrate the adventures of Enterprise crew, and no one complains. I think Giacchino is able to do an outstanding score without having to make reference to the previous material. I hope, at least. :)

That could finally at last elevate him to the A league. Mind you, I don't think he's bad at all. He just doesn't seem to have many opportunities to show that. I have high expectations.

Karol

Every composer who has worked on the movie series has managed to make it their own. I expect no less from Giacchino.

Never being a big fan of the series (My brothers and sisters loved it, I was forced to watch it), I can't say I recognized any style. But upon watching the film a year or two ago, I felt that the scoring added very little to the film.

It's not big on themes, but the action/suspense music reminds me a bit of Rosenman. It's one of the "least" Trek scores, but it's still a servicable one, and quite good for what it is. And together with Rosenman's, the most "different" of the lot.

Dennis McCarthy is the musical voice of TV Star Trek, from TNG all the way through the end of Enterprise. And I think he did a very nice job for Generations, I would have liked him to do more TNG films if they hadn't gotten Jerry back.

Dennis McCarthy is the musical voice of TV Star Trek, from TNG all the way through the end of Enterprise. And I think he did a very nice job for Generations, I would have liked him to do more TNG films if they hadn't gotten Jerry back.

I love his score for Generations. Personally, I think it's the best of all the Next Generation movie scores.

As for "Lucasarts games", I believe that "Mark Griskey" should compose the music. He did a very nice job channeling the "Star Wars vibe" for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, and I have high expectations for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (which should be an excellent game).

After the initial WOW factor that the orchestral score gave to my KOTORII opinion, I dont find the score much more than a decent effort. Force unleashed sounds more promising.

Nevertheless Giacchino creates beter tunes and his name is almost a given for an OST to be released.

I prefer Soule's KOTOR to Griskey's sequel also. Henry is the one I know that prefers Griskey's score.

Giacchino doing a Star Wars game would be nice, but he's getting to do something I always wished Williams had gotten to do: a Star Trek score. So I'm happy.

I prefer Soule's KOTOR to Griskey's sequel also. Henry is the one I know that prefers Griskey's score.

You got me wrong there, :lol:

I frefer Griskey's too.

I think Jeremy Soule is way overrated and his music is not that good.

Well, you just need to clean your ears out then. ;)

Both are good, but to me Soule's is more dynamic (which is a product of the differences in the stories) and has much better themes.

Totally changing gears, I have to say that "The Incredits" is easily one of the best end credits suites of the decade so far, and definitely one of my pieces of film music from the last eight years. It's terrific. And I have to say, the more I hear of Giacchino's music, the more I want to get.

I did like "End Creditouilles," but I did like "The Incredits" more. It felt more thematically connected to the rest of the score.

Luke, I didn't notice any real cut and paste type stuff. It sounded mostly if not all original to me.

In general, I liked Ratatouille far less than The Incredibles. Worked well, I liked Remy's theme. But I don't care for the big romantic theme, the one from the song.

I loved it, but then I go for that kind of stuff.

I do too, which is why I was surprised how little there was on the album that I particularly liked.

Some parts of the incredits for me sound like cut and paste job a la Prisoner of Azkaban.

Whaaaa???????? :lol:

You are completely wrong.