The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

My only fear is that sooner or later Pixar will have a bad film, it happens to everyone eventually.

I hope that Nemo doesn't do what the Lion King did for Disney. I feel that Disney peaked with that particular film, which was Disney's highest animated film, and ever since their animated films have suffered doing less and less.

Although I did enjoy Mulan and felt that The Emperor's New Groove was pretty damn funny, but the humor may have been above Disney's targeted audience.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Barry was comfirmed as the composer and if memory serves me correctly he even wrote a main theme for The Incredibles. I think Barry is ill and that's why he was replaced. Again, if memory serves me correctly, Giacchino's name came up as the replacement composer because he was going to score the video game version of the film using some of Barry's material.... I have to confirm that with Michael. Now, I'm not entirely sure if Giacchinio is going to be using Barry's theme or not but trust me... this score is going to be one of the best of the year.

-Erik- Who loved Monsters Inc. (One of the best Pixar films, IMHO) and hated A Bug's Life.

Hmmm...how sure are you about Barry being ill?

Have not heard anything about it.

Not entirely 100% sure but I have heard those "rumours" from a couple of sources.

-Erik-

I saw Monsters Inc. this weekend.

I thought it was very good, what's your beef with it?

The main thing is that every single joke is totaly predictable, and those jokes are mostly just not funny.

And I hate that they put in the little girl. Why do they have to mess up a good idea by putting humans into it? why does every story need a human element to? That's what messed up Dinosaur, which could've been a great, visionary movie, instead had a fantastic begining and the rest is just like a few kids looking for the treasure, they just happened to look like dinosaurs.

I found Crystal's voice acting to sound very forced at times, they wasted Steve Buscemi, and they totaly, totaly wasted Frank Oz.

Was browsing through random videogame soundtracks, came across Liberi Fatali by Nobuo Uematsu for FFVII, probably one of the more famous songs of the series along with One Winged Angel, Liberi Fatali deserves to be heard by from everyone

I wanted to see MONSTERS Inc., not Monsters plus paifully cute girl Inc.

And you think Steve Buscemi and Frank Oz were used well? Buscemi had maybe one good moment in the whole movie, Oz had none.

-Erik- Who loved Monsters Inc. (One of the best Pixar films, IMHO) and hated A Bug's Life.

A Bug's Life is a variant of The Three Amigos.

And there's even a connection- The Three Amigos was co-written by Randy Newman, and he scored A Bug's Life.

Morlock- who loved A Bug's Life

I wanted to see MONSTERS Inc., not Monsters plus paifully cute girl Inc.

So you had a certain idea about how a film called MONSTERS INC. was gonna have to be.

And cause the film did not agree with your pre-concieved notion you think it's bad?

That's about the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

And you think Steve Buscemi and Frank Oz were used well? Buscemi had maybe one good moment in the whole movie, Oz had none.

Buscemi was fine, he was not overused, and not underused.

Heck, if that's a reason to hate the film, then you should hate The Big Lebowski even more.

So you had a certain idea about how a film called MONSTERS INC. was gonna have to be.

And cause the film did not agree with your pre-concieved notion you think it's bad?

That's about the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

I've seen enough films about little girls. I wanted to see one about monsters. And I don't allow my pre-concieved notions to affect my long term opinion of anything, which is why I see most movies 2-3 times at least. I've seen Monsters Inc. 3 times, and didn't find it funny any of those times.

Buscemi was fine, he was not overused, and not underused.

Heck, if that's a reason to hate the film, then you should hate The Big Lebowski even more.

I was talking in screen time, which is no judge of how an actor is used. He was perfect in Big Lebowski, had great lines, and was the basis for even more great lines.

In the end, the whole thing just didn't work for me.

I've been wondering which film will ultimately make more money this summer:

Shrek 2 or The Incredibles?

Shrek 2 will dominate the summer and come September will have made millions more than The Incredibles.

Simply because The Incredibles will not be released until November.

Neil

But who's to say what's good?

The overall consensus, I think. Films that are widely regarded as being very good. Good films that over time earned their good reputations. I discovered that I, in almost every instance, agree with their star quotation.

----------------

Alex cremers

I've been wondering which film will ultimately make more money this summer:

Shrek 2 or The Incredibles?

Shrek 2 will dominate the summer and come September will have made millions more than The Incredibles.

Simply because The Incredibles will not be released until November.

Neil

Oh? I thought it was being released this summer.

I guess they decided to push it back so it would not have to directly compete with Shrek 2.

Makes sense.

Well OK eventually we will see who walks away with more money.

Well about Giachinno... Joe, i dont think he is the next Williams, but i think that when Williams is not among us anymore (hopes that is very far from now :P ), Giachinno will the be the composer i will be looking foward to.

And anyway, if there is a Williams clone wanna be, I wouldn't hesitate pointing Giachinno. SWON is a score that though it is not based in any Williams work (like others that have used JP, Indy, Superman, SW...) he has gotten a Williams sound to it, or at least in the main theme since i have not heard the rest of the score. I think noone has done it as closely as him. He may be still lightyears far from Williams, but he is closer than others, and anyway, we do not want a 'Williams' that is not Williams, but if the guy has his style, well that will be wonderful music to hear.

And there's even a connection- The Three Amigos was co-written by Randy Newman, and he scored A Bug's Life.

Ohh dear I hope he never writes anything else. ;)

Anyway, I think that Finding Nemo was the best film last year and animation makes great movies. But I think that live action can have more breathing room for the music...

Ohh dear I hope he never writes anything else. ;)

Anyway, I think that Finding Nemo was the best film last year and animation makes great movies. But I think that live action can have more breathing room for the music...

That's because Pixar's pace of telling stories and flooding you with information is really super fast. In fact, it's the only problem I have with Pixar. It has nothing to do with the fact that they're animation films. Animation CAN make music breathe.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yes true.... I'm not sure that that problem is exclusive to pixar.

Yes true.... I'm not sure that that problem is exclusive to pixar.

Most certainly not! Like everyone else Pixar just goes with the flow. Fast-paced storytelling is THE thing to do, or so it seems. This and using TV-like close-ups the whole damn time is very, very hot.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Hopefully if Giacchino makes a good impression with this score (which I am sure he will) Pixar will bring him back for their next film.

I need informaton. Quick i just say only one copy of it on a store.

is the pressed CD score in MOH AA deluxe edition the complete score with all the music from the previous PSX games? I think those were very good and i dont want to miss anything from them.

Plus, is the music in the game folder complete and unedited? I dont want to pay 45$ if i can spend just 19$

I need informaton. Quick i just say only one copy of it on a store.

is the pressed CD score in MOH AA deluxe edition the complete score with all the music from the previous PSX games? I think those were very good and i dont want to miss anything from them.

Plus, is the music in the game folder complete and unedited? I dont want to pay 45$ if i can spend just 19$

Which score are you reffering to?

What is it called?

I'd buy it and then sell it on Ebay. You could get loads of cash Luke. That's what I'd do. :D

Justin

Just to let you guys know... there is no LEGIT release of MOH:AA available. If you do see a CD containing music from AA then it is a bootleg. Again, I repeat, there was NEVER a legit MOH:AA score album released.

-Erik-