Is the re-recorded Superman CD any good?

A24

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, but it's FUN. Here's another good 'alternative interpretation' CD that I like, and that is radical enough to catch my interest:

811H2pC+r-L._SL1500_.jpg

You'll get into any old crap won't you ;)

I couldn't stand this album. 

22 hours ago, Thor said:

811H2pC+r-L._SL1500_.jpg

I must try to listen to this. I can't for the life of me think what Morricone and Waters might have in common, but I'm prepared to find out.

On the subject of SUPERMAN; I've been listening to this, recently. I remember buying it, and almost creaming my jeans on hearing "clean" versions of THE HELICOPTER SEQUENCE and  PUSHING BOULDERS.

Then I got the Rhino.

Then I got The Blue Box.

Then I sprayed my living room.

I digress. This is a fine rerecording, played with vigour, and honesty. If the RSNO misses a beat and fluffs a line occasionally, then you can't blame them for trying; it's a complicated thing to play. The sound is "open" and upfront, the digital sound bringing-out the less obvious subtleties of the score, and Denney and co. always treat the material with respect.

If you can't afford The Blue Box, or you simply want a different "take" on a much-adored musical achievement, then look no further.

On 1/12/2018 at 6:49 PM, Philippe Roaché said:

The double LP probably had too much music anyway. "Lex Luthor's Lair" is pretty dispensable and there's nothing really in "Growing Up" you don't take from the rest of the album.

I agree that Lex Luthor's Lair is quite dispensable since the 14 track OST album already includes the concert version, March of the Villains. Growing Up is partially unique and quite good, and I would rather have that on the OST instead of Margot Kidder rapping Can You Read My Mind.

Another reason to own the complete score, besides the juicy alternates, are the great action cues not included on the OSTs.

• 3 years later...
On 1/11/2018 at 4:02 PM, bollemanneke said:

Listening to this now. Some tempo problems in the Superman march, but I'll take this one over the original version any time, just can't stand that terrible old sound, whether JW conducted it or not.

What about the 40th anniversary edition, which sounds marvellous?

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

I recently and finally bought it, I love this re-recording very much, much more than the original 2LP OST presentation of the score.

You prefer both the selection and the performance of the re-recording?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You prefer both the selection and the performance of the re-recording?

Yes and I forgive the tempi, anyway, only JW plays his music with the right tempi (maybe except Keith Lockhart)! Get over it!

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

:up:

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Yes and I forgive the tempi, anyway, only JW plays his music with the right tempi (maybe except Keith Lockhart)! Get over it!

My main issue with the re-recording is the orchestral balance.

47 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

My main issue with the re-recording is the orchestral balance.

Are you the One who will bring balance?

I love this re-recording. The brass is pretty good in most places. Thanks for the reminder need to crank  out these Varese recordings on my new amplifier.

Space has nothing to do with it, using a clamshell case for  2disc set is just... stupid, and a massive waste

On 7/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, Jay said:

Space has nothing to do with it, using a clamshell case for  2disc set is just... stupid, and a massive waste

On my shelves I replaced all of those cases, from the first ones I bought in the 80s (Hair, Star Wars, et cetera) to the last ones (I stopped buying CDs in 2017)... ;)

I think it's a creative cover, given that they no doubt didn't have access to (or coudn't afford) any film stills, posters or logos. Certainly more creative than the OST cover.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

posters

It uses the blank poster art, just puts zero effort into making it look not godawful. Like the Rhino. What's creative about taking that and slapping text over it?

I think so, yes. Love the allusions to religion (a light beaming down towards a cloudy world), as Superman is basically a god. Alternatively a jet-like stripe that lights up the sky, but where the object creating it is out of frame ("is it a plane? is it a bird?" etc.).

I'm not super thrilled with the font choice or placement (I'd have preferred less text, like the inlay card of the Decca/Solti/Berlin Phil release of Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra" -- about another Übermensch), but the cover art itself is fine when compared to the original, and when you think about their limitations.

Yes, Bob Peak was creative when he painted it back in '78. These guys weren't creative when they slapped solid text over a miscoloured partial scan of that.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're missing Amazing Stories and the disaster album with the Towering Inferno tracks.

I'm working on that.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:14 AM, Turbo said:

Attached the scan from Album Art Exchange.

Thanks! That's an improvement over what I had.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:13 AM, Thor said:

Because it alludes rather than shows. It's a thousand times more interesting than this:

R-1043882-1334111347.jpeg.jpg

I like this album cover, a lot.  Simple, yes, but still bold with that main title lettering on the solid black background.  When I was a kid I could hear the wooshes of the main title credits in my head as I blasted this record on my Dad's old record player.  I'd like this cover better if the small white lettering was gone.

13 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

Thanks! That's an improvement over what I had.

I like this album cover, a lot.  Simple, yes, but still bold with that main title lettering on the solid black background.  When I was a kid I could hear the wooshes of the main title credits in my head as I blasted this record on my Dad's old record player.  I'd like this cover better if the small white lettering was gone.

Then you should get the Japanese version which also includes the two missing tracks.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why would someone burn a CDR of it and print up scanned covers instead of just buying it?

I think you're overthinking this, didn't WW84 and stuff like that semi-controversially come out on CD-R?