Band of Brothers sound familiar?

Donnelly24

I was watching the mini series the other day on DVD, and when they had the opening credits I thought to myself "Doesn't this theme sound familiar?!" Then I realized that it reminded me WAY to much of John Williams "Hymn to the Fallen" from the Saving Private Ryan score. I thought Williams was by far better and contained much more emotion in the music. Does anyone else agree about the comparison?

Nah. Not really.

I mean...they have a somewhat similar tone, in that every World War II show/movie has the same kinda tone, even Medal of Honor, musically, but yeah...don't really think they're that close to each other.

They are similar, and they're trying to capture the same emotions, but both are great, put in context. And although I think that Hymn to the Fallen is better, and one of the best pieces of music ever composed for a film, BoB theme has it's own resonance, and works extremely well if you've watched and liked the show.

I'm sorry, they do not sound at all like each other, like Kamen sounds nother like Williams.

And frankly as a whole i much prefer the Band Of Brothers CD.

Stefancos- who played that about 10 times in the week after Kamen's death. :mrgreen:

One of the things I like about BoB over SPR is the way Kamen doesn't repeat the same music over and over again like Williams with SPR.

The various pieces are more unique in BoB.

I wholeheartedly agree. Except for Hymn for The Fallen there's not much to enjoy on SPR. Maybe Williams wasn't much inspired by the movie. Maybe he needs more of Spielberg's extravaganza to sink his teeth in.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I don't think the movie needed that kind of score. I think keeping the mood there was all that was needed. Anything more would've been too obtrusive(sp?). I remember coming back from the theeater after watching the movie for the first time with my father, my grandfather and my two brothers, and us all being convinced that there was absolutely no music in the movie, and the movie being better for it.

And Hymn for the fallen is IMO an amazing achievement, making the whole venture (score wise) as worth while as Hook or Far and Away. I'm still blown away by it every time, and to think that it's just the same piece over and over again, but that just grounds it in (as opposed to some of Goldsmith's repetitious theme)

I wholeheartedly agree. Except for Hymn for The Fallen there's not much to enjoy on SPR. Maybe Williams wasn't much inspired by the movie. Maybe he needs more of Spielberg's extravaganza to sink his teeth in.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I don't see how he couldn't have been. That was one of Spielberg's best works.

Plus are you seriously going to tell me that the great score to the film Hook came from inspiration from a great film?

I DONT THINK SO!

I believe they used to use Hook in China to "de-program" dissedents. One viewing and even the most rebellious would swear to remain docile for life. :music:

I don't think inspiration has anything to do with it. I have never heard a single Williams, Goldsmith or Elfman score that did not fit their movie. I've always felt that SPR was more contemplative than anything else, and the score fit that perfectly.

And the score to Hook was fittingly colorful, irrelevant of the quality of the movie.

They are similar, and they're trying to capture the same emotions, but both are great, put in context. And although I think that Hymn to the Fallen is better, and one of the best pieces of music ever composed for a film, BoB theme has it's own resonance, and works extremely well if you've watched and liked the show.

What he said.

-Ross, who sees no need to put the same in different words.

When I first saw BoB and saw the opening credits, I was like "this doesn't sound like it remembers the war correctly

but

after watching it more I realized how much I liked it and sadly I did like it even more after Kamen himself died

I dont really see a similiarity at all between the two

I just loved the entire score, especially the two suites he made. I was watchin the dvds today, and the just the music in the menus were great. So sad that he died, i would've liked to hear some more of his music.

Nick- :| Band of Brothers Suite Two

• 16 years later...
On 1/1/2004 at 3:07 AM, AC1 said:

----------------

Alex Cremers

Boy Alex!

You be here, long time!😊

I always thought that the back part of Kamen’s Band of Brothers theme sounded a lot like the back part of Kamen’s Robin Hood theme.  Maybe just a chord progression he liked.  Love this score though.

Looks like most or all of the old hens in this original thread are gone now, but I’ll argue with them anyway - SPR is one of my favorite Williams scores, and as much as I love Band of Brothers, it doesn’t hold a candle to SPR.

edited to add: I Just relistebed to some and was wrong about this being the main theme, I was thinking about a secondary theme (which appears several times, including The Mission Begins)

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I always thought that the back part of Kamen’s Band of Brothers theme sounded a lot like the back part of Kamen’s Robin Hood theme.

Everything he did sounded a little like ROBIN HOOD. In fact, Kamen always sounded like himself.

• 1 year later...

Kamen sounds like Kamen. Unless it sounds like Don Davis or Chris Boardman but then it probably is under heavy duress and deadlines.

BoB is very similar to Robin Hood which, of course is a compromised Kamen by all accounts. But the following from Robin Hood is all Kamen, I am very confident.