Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

And he didn't look 17 to me. He looked like 19-20.

Although it's easy to tweek a couple of years, I think often it doesn't work at all.

Michael J. Fox never convinced me for a second he was a high school student in BTF.

But still the mother of them all is from David Lean's classic Great Expectation, where John Mills at 38 played Pip who was supposed to be 20 going on 21. It takes a few minutes to get used to.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's Kate Winslets Husband and he is still wrong.  The rumor is already be proven wrong Morlock.

Kate is way to old to play an 18 year old.

I know he's Kate Winslet's husband and why do think he's wrong?

Fleur Delacour has been cast. Who it is, I do not know, but I do know that she has been in two films before GoF.

My agent put a girl forward for the role, she got as far as the 4th round but failed due to lack of experience.

Just saw the new trailer on Extra.It was tracked with music from Reunion of Friends but it looked and sounded great anywasys

K.M.

I wanted to see that but I had to go to B&N and missed it.

Yup, and she was even cast! After Kevin Smith hired Alan Rickman, they had a chat about the rest of a cast, and Rickman really loved the idea of god as a woman, and said that if there was one woman who was godlike- it was Emma Thompson, a great friend of his. So they called her up, and she said yes. But then she had to drop out because she was trying to have a baby.

Really? Hmmmm never knew that. Interesting story. Still makes no friggin sense why the hell they replaced Thompson with friggin Alanis Morisette.

BAD IDEA!

8O

That looked sweet. This film's going to rock!

Didn't like the bombast redition of Harry's theme at the end, though. Felt a bit over-pretentious.

- Marc, who will now watch this trailer again. :P

Yes, of course it was, I know that. But I didn't like its use in the trailer, mainly because I wasn't expecting that particular piece at all, I guess. I had expected to hear the sinister part of Fawkes the Phoenix or somthing from The Chamber of Secrets (the track).

- Marc, wondering what's up with that clock.

I am in complete agreement with Joe in his opinion that Columbus gets a bad rap.

What many people fail to remember is that these films wouldn?t even exist if it weren?t for producer David Heyman's and Warner Brothers' promises to Rowling that the films would remain faithful to the books. She?d have refused to sell the movie rights without such an agreement. Even if it's not a contractual obligation, she can still refuse to sell the rights to the remaining books. This agreement was in place before either Columbus or Cuaron were even hired. Minor aesthetic changes are all a director is going to be allowed on any of these films.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of directors, you'll always have fans that dislike, or downright hate, the films. You'll have the purists screaming bloody murder over the slightest changes made in one corner, and in the other, a revisionist faction bitching and moaning about how the films are too rigidly faithful to the novels.

Does anyone know if there's a Quicktime version of the second trailer, the one with the Williams music that people thought was synth at first? I want the good quality version though.

Ray Barnsbury

another thing everyone needs to remember is that Prisoner of Azkaban, is the most visual of the first 3 books. While all 5 books stay true to a formula, POA begins the change in tone of the remainder of the books.

This has to look different, even if Columbus had directed it because this isn't like PS/SS or COS, the film has been taken to a different level.

as for HPFAN's negativity, he's really being petty about it. We know there is a bus, but JKR didn't go into overwhelming detail about the bus. Also, something he ought to know, but convienently disregards is that any changes have to be approved by JKR. The shrunken head is JKR approved, as is the bell, and the dementors. I love the dementors because they don't look like the ringwraiths in LOTR, and the don't look like the spectre of death seen in Dicken's films, or cartoons.

And like some of you, the last scene of the trailer is phenomenal.

I am in complete agreement with Joe in his opinion that Columbus gets a bad rap.  

What many people fail to remember is that these films wouldn?t even exist if it weren?t for producer David Heyman's and Warner Brothers' promises to Rowling that the films would remain faithful to the books. She?d have refused to sell the movie rights without such an agreement. Even if it's not a contractual obligation, she can still refuse to sell the rights to the remaining books. This agreement was in place before either Columbus or Cuaron were even hired. Minor aesthetic changes are all a director is going to be allowed on any of these films.  

The fact of the matter is, regardless of directors, you'll always have fans that dislike, or downright hate, the films. You'll have the purists screaming bloody murder over the slightest changes made in one corner, and in the other, a revisionist faction bitching and moaning about how the films are too rigidly faithful to the novels.

But from the trailers, it seems that much more liberties were taken with PoA.

none of the liberties have been taken without JKR's express approval, she's been quoted on than several times.

Then I don't understand the differances between the first two movies and the third one (from the trailers). Maybe it's that Kloves and Columbus were not confident enough at the begining to change anything, but know after two successes they eased up a bit (that is not a negative comment BTW).

If you've not read the books then you might have missed a complete change in tone of the entire series starting with Prisoner of Azkaban. POA was the plum assignment of the first 3 films, why do you think Spielberg said this was the one he wanted to direct.

Then I don't understand the differances between the first two movies and the third one (from the trailers). Maybe it's that Kloves and Columbus were not confident enough at the begining to change anything, but know after two successes they eased up a bit (that is not a negative comment BTW).

You're probably right about that Morlock, and I'm sure Rowling has become more comfortable with allowing such changes as well.

Cuaron was able to benefit from not only that, but also had the advantages of a more experienced young cast and a longer time frame in which to make this film.

Oh my goodness, Is HPFan gonna freak at this, with GOF now filming, is this going to be

Draco's new hairstyle, I mean who approved this?

tom4.jpg

Its called puberty Ray, something a few of the guys herehaven't yet experienced

Its called puberty Ray, something a few of the guys herehaven't yet experienced

I know what it is, I've had acne problems myself, I was just commenting.

Ray Barnsbury

thank you for moment of discovery Stefan,

NOW BACK to POA.

Ray when the new album is finally anounced and we see the actual cover, are you planning to

change your avatar to that, just wondering.

if there are several different covers, they'll all be online for me to choose from for my avatar.

I hope they have a shrunken head cover!

Neil

From the jwfan.net Soundtrack Preview Page:

According to an article in The Chicago Tribune, director Alfonso Cuaron "wasn't at liberty to reimagine the film from the ground up, and even if he wanted to, Cuaron couldn't hire a new composer - he was obligated to use John Williams."

Although I´m quite happy about the fact that Williams seems to be seen as such an important factor for the success of Harry Potter by the people at WB, I think it´s quite interesting that Cuaron had such strict rules to follow.

Don´t you think that those rules could be bad to a director´s imagination? I mean, okay, he probably didn´t even think of using someone else than John Williams, but he might have had other rules like that...

Don´t you think that those rules could be bad to a director´s imagination? I mean, okay, he probably didn´t even think of using someone else than John Williams, but he might have had other rules like that...

"Art thrives on restrictions."

-Nicholas Meyer

Neil

he didn't have to take the job did he? He knew going in he was a one shot hired gun.

It just occured to me to ask this.

What if Something Wicked This Way Comes, isn't on the album.

Will you be dissappointed?

Yes, I will be disappointed. I'm expecting a full version of it. But if not, I won't be devastated. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it played over part of the end credits.

Ray Barnsbury

I hope it is in the movie, but it will have book purists killing themselves. I don't know whether it was Cuaron's decision or how much input Williams had on the choir (apart form the music) but I'm glad it's there. A lot of schools have choirs, and perhaps Rowling is planning on adding one in the future. We really don't get much in th way of music in the Potter books, except for probably Dumbledore's best quote "Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here.".

I have a feeling that Something Wicked this Way Comes might be the prologue track on the album, just like how the music from the teaser trailer for PS/SS was titled "Prologue" on the soundtrack (but was never actually used in the film).