Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

Recently on IMDB I discovered the section of their Boards that is just for discussing Composers. Fun reading. LOL

I know we've laughed at the poor IMDB people before, but this was TOO funny:

In the thread "Your Top 3 Favorite Composers", one said his were:

"Definetly Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, and the guy who did Harry Potter." ROTFLMAO

Okaaayy...

Greta

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute... last I checked, the book GoF didn't have PG-13 material in it. So unless they've really nailed the horror of baby Voldemort, there must be some added gore, or whatever.

Well, there is depicted murder and torture of teenagers... Harry gets blood forcibly drawn... it's all in a graveyard...

not to mention, murder at the beginning, torture of muggles at the WQC, terrifying dragons, of which Harry draws the worst.

I hope they've got that first scene right, and the one at the graveyard...

I wonder when the new trailer is released...

Hmm, I've just got a good feeling about this film, it's gonna be good.

Well, there is depicted murder and torture of teenagers... Harry gets blood forcibly drawn... it's all in a graveyard...

So? Sounds like PG to me.

Maybe they expanded a little on the bit where Wormtail cuts his hand off to get this rating. :roll:

HA! Everyone at Leaky Cauldron is like "AWESOME MUSIC" and a comment or two of "FINALLY they ditched John Williams' orchestral music for someone whose music will actually BLEND into the magical world". I chuckled. Jajaja.

HA! Everyone at Leaky Cauldron is like "AWESOME MUSIC" and a comment or two of "FINALLY they ditched John Williams' orchestral music for someone whose music will actually BLEND into the magical world". I chuckled. Jajaja.

:micro:

That preview music is not Patrick Doyle. It is typical trailer music, probably by the same guys who did the last company's early trailer music.

That preview music is not Patrick Doyle.

I agree, Patrick Doyle is already recording the music score with the LSO at the moment.

The Death Eaters are my first complaint about this movie so far. One they are not supposed to look like that and two the KKK aren't something to be trivialized.

The Death Eaters are my first complaint about this movie so far. One they are not supposed to look like that and two the KKK aren't something to be trivialized.

You say it as a fact, while it isn't... In your opinion they shouldn't look like the KKK...

When I read GoF the first time, the KKK was the first thing that sprung into my head. There are many similarities between the DE and the KKK and I think that Rowling did that very intentional.

I think the DE look great! But... those 'hats'... Idk... they look HARD like a freakishly over-wraught mask from like a masked-ball or something. Or something from a wanna be horror movie from the 60s. Idk.

Not having seen the new images yet (I'll wait for the trailer, thank you), what's wrong with the Death Eaters looking like the KKK? It's not like they're so entirely different. And I don't see what's that got to do with trivialising anything. Rowling consciously takes up serious issues in these books, especially when it comes to all the halfblood stuff.

Marian - who also likes the reference to the Dark Wizard of Grendelwald in HPPS. ;)

My worst nightmare is that Doyle actually wins an oscar for his first Potter score,and just at that very moment the TV camera cuts to JW's reaction (in slow motion) losing (as usual) for whatever he's nominated for

wouldn't that be the ultimate kick in the ass.

Oh yeah,and before that happens a clip show earlier in the broadcast used "Hedwig's Theme" and "Buckbeaks Flight" extensively as background music.

K.M.

Not if the GoF score is better than ROTS. It has potential.

I don't like the new trailer. Though I suppose I should reserve judgement till I actually SEE the new trailer, intead of excerpts. I am also getting tired of telling silly fans that the music in the trailer ISN'T in the new film.

My worst nightmare is that Doyle actually wins an oscar for his first Potter score,and just at that very moment the TV camera cuts to JW's reaction (in slow motion) losing (as usual) for Revenge of the Sith.

You think Sith is actually going to be nominated? LOL

Not if the GoF score is better than ROTS. It has potential.

I don't see it as neutrally as you do.I changed my post to underline the tragedy of Williams losing the oscar for his 2 very oscar worthy Potter scores.

K.M.Who thought the sight of Williams clapping Howard Shore's victory in 02 with his conductor's baton in one hand was very sad.

I expect GOF to be the best Potter-film yet. At least the book is my favorite. The only thing I don't like from all the previews is the way the Great Hall looks during the ball. It looks like an ice-palace, when in the book it's being described as this warm, candlelight room. But that's just a minor quibble.

As far as the music is concerned, I wonder why they replaced JW. It wouldn't have been such a surprise to me if Cuaron (director of Potter 3) had done that, as his movie is so different from the first two. Seems to me that GOF won't be so different, except probably for its pace.

Nevertheless I'm sure Doyle will do a good job, with or without JW's themes. I like his score for Mary Shelley's Frankenstein a lot.

As far as the music is concerned, I wonder why they replaced JW.

There were reports that John pulled out to do Geisha.

Makes perfect sense.

John has toured Japan twice and raved about Kyoto

Having done 3 Potters, it certainly understandable that he would prefer a different musical challenge.

It was reported this week that YoYoMa just recordred his portion of the Geisha score, so it is clear that the two schedules clashed with each other.

I'm pretty sure given Williams stature and success of his scores (kids everywhere recognise Potter music) that no one at Warner would have actively sought his removal.

I'm pretty sure given Williams stature and success of his scores (kids everywhere recognise Potter music) that no one at Warner would have actively sought his removal.

Brings a tear to my eye that certain members of a new generation will know the true nature and meaning of a film score.

My worst nightmare is that Doyle actually wins an oscar for his first Potter score,and just at that very moment the TV camera cuts to JW's reaction (in slow motion) losing (as usual) for whatever he's nominated for

After Williams kicked Doyle out of Stepmom? Not really.

Marian - who doubts GOF will even be nominated.

Revenge of the Sith does not deserve to be nominated for any kind of award.

well maybe the too many special effects awards.

Wasn't Doyle let go after he was diagnosed with cancer?

That's the first time I've heard it told that way. And from what I've been reading for years, he did write a score for Stepmom, which was rejected and replaced when Williams came on board.

Marian - who obviously doesn't have first hand information.

:angry: Rosewood

There seem to be 2 stories about this, one is the cancer story, the other is that John Williams used his considerable influence to get Doyle's score booted so he could replace him and score this rather terrible flick.

RotS score is very worthy,especially the parts you CAN'T HEAR in the film

K.M

you have got to be kidding, well if its not in the movie then its not worth nominating, and if its in a stupid geek game then its not worth nominating.

in fact, its not worth nominating period.

RotS score is very worthy,especially the parts you CAN'T HEAR in the film

K.M

you have got to be kidding, well if its not in the movie then its not worth nominating, and if its in a stupid geek game then its not worth nominating.

in fact, its not worth nominating period.

no that's not what I mean.Like the scene where Padme and Obi Wan confronts Anakin on Mustafar.I only got to hear the music after Crusher removed some of the dialogue from the film bootleg audio,and that's terrific music,but in the film mix as it is you can't really hear it.I'm saying as I get to hear portions of the score that aren't on the stupid c.d.,my opinion of the RotS score has changed from meh(when we got the c.d.) to calling it a masterpiece.

And as you can seem to get it for the life of you,the music clips in the stupid video geek game is in the movie.

K.M.

Well, WotW isn't going to be nominated. But I'm sure Geisha and possibly the new Spielberg film. At this point who can really say, we haven't heard a note of Doyle's Potter score, and Williams has two more films to score before the year's out.

Tim

I'd love to see Williams mouthing WHAT DA F*CK! on TV when the Academy announces Patrick Doyle score for GOF as best score of the year.

Yes, especially when Doyle uses William's themes. That would really be sick.

Does anyone know more about the involvement of William Ross in the music of Potter 2? Did he write the whole score with William's new themes, or was he merely an arranger of some tracks with no real influence on the compositions?

This has been discussed in depth here.The conclusion is that Williams Ross didn't compose anything and his role on COS besides conducting(apparently) is rather obscure.The complete written score indicates that Williams composed all the cues,and my ears tell me that too.The main theory is that whatever William Ross did initially was rescored by John Williams later,evidenced by rushed cues such as the Quidditch music which is almost identical to the Coruscant chase of AotC,obviously a last moment thing.We also had an insider here that told us so.Ross credit as arranger was kept to avoid professionnal problems,whatever.

John Williams was initially supposed to write 40 minutes of music,as he said in interviews,but then it turns out the whole OST is entirely composed by him(OST credit is ALL music composed by John Williams).If he was supposed to only write the themes and a few action cues,then it doesn't explain the AotC Coruscant Chase transcription in the score for the Quiddich Match.Surely Williams wouldn't do that if he had an adaptor of his music to write the score,and surely Williams Ross wouldn't be allowed himself to life a cue from Attack of the Clones.So JW had to use this music at the last moment because he had no time to write something else and it "fit".The same with Lucius Malfoy's theme which is the AotC mystery motif.Again that's JW pressed for time and not William ross coincidentally writing a theme from AotC.

K.M.

This has been discussed in depth here.The conclusion is that Williams Ross didn't compose anything and his role on COS besides conducting(apparently) is rather obscure.The complete written score indicates that Williams composed all the cues,and my ears tell me that too.The main theory is that whatever William Ross did initially was rescored by John Williams later,evidenced by rushed cues such as the Quidditch music which is almost identical to the Coruscant chase of AotC,obviously a last moment thing.We also had an insider here that told us so.Ross credit as arranger was kept to avoid professionnal problems,whatever.  

John Williams was initially supposed to write 40 minutes of music,as he said in interviews,but then it turns out the whole OST is entirely composed by him(OST credit is ALL music composed by John Williams).If he was supposed to only write the themes and a few action cues,then it doesn't explain the AotC Coruscant Chase transcription in the score for the Quiddich Match.Surely Williams wouldn't do that if he had an adaptor of his music to write the score,and surely Williams Ross wouldn't be allowed himself to life a cue from Attack of the Clones.So JW had to use this music at the last moment because he had no time to write something else and it "fit".The same with Lucius Malfoy's theme which is the AotC mystery motif.Again that's JW pressed for time and not William ross coincidentally writing a theme from AotC.

K.M.

Tell that to folks at Mugglenet Forums who insist William Ross wrote the entire score.