Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note though, that there's an orchestra playing at the Yule Ball too. You can see it in the second trailer behind Hagrid and Madame Maxine. I don't think we'll get all rock during that scene. Yay!

Imagine: fade in as the students dance. They are frowning, trying to match the complicated rhythm of the orchestra. The music is distant, classical, and unengaging. After a dry minute or two, the music ceases. The students sigh and mill about a little. There is a moment of tense silence. Suddenly, the timpanis disappear in a puff of smoke and a fully modern drumset appears in their place. The band jams and the students dance like there's no tomorrow. Everybody is having fun; the audience cheers; and I stab myself in the throat with a pencil.

I just thought... Now that Fawkes is definitely in the film, does that mean...

FAWKES' THEME?!?!?!

Please say it's so! As much as I'm looking foward to seeing what Doyle does that's orginal I will be happy if one statement of that theme is in the film (and would be even happier if it appears in the Priori Incantatem scene, but am willing to give Doyle a little credit)

Don't tease me - that would be fantastic!

Ray Barnsbury - who would love to hear one of his favorite themes revisited

Me too but only by Williams.

Speaking of Fawkes. I saw a picture of him and Harry from GoF... And Fawkes is still very animatronic. And very stiff looking. Oh course, most figures in pictures don't exactly move... But Fawkes looks exactly the same. So I have a feeling it'll be just as bad as he was in CoS.

:mrgreen:

I thought the songs would at least have to do with magic.

I guess Cocker wants to be able to put them on his real album too. Anything for more mulah. . . . :|

~Sturgis, starting to wonder if the kids really will do what Cerrabore said

:|:mrgreen:

That's just...so horrible and unmagical. At least the LotR songs were related with the movie and even used its themes, but this...

If this is what record companies have to do to sell scores these days, I fear for the world (because that can't possibly be in the movie....can it?)

I've heard cool rock songs before. This isn't one of them. Some of my favorite songs are rock... I don't like this, though. Yuck.

I don't like to use curse words often but there is no other way to describe it. The song is complete bullshit. It's acctually turned me off from the film. Even if it's not in the movie or end credits the very fact that they would waste their time and money to pay this man is unforgivable. It's utterly horid. If the song is in the film then I will probably not be seeing this a second time.

Justin

Now it lets you hear the whole song instead of just part of it.

It also says it has the first track called The Story Continues on it. I haven't listened to it yet cause i'm not sure if I want to hear it before the movie.

It's.........GOOD! I like it! It's definately not what we are used to for Harry Potter...but it almost sounds like Danny Elfman got to do it. Let's face it...that dark sort of Bernard Herrmann sound fits for the newer stories.

THe song on the other hand...yeah....... banghead

It's.........GOOD!  I like it!  It's definately not what we are used to for Harry Potter...but it almost sounds like Danny Elfman got to do it.  Let's face it...that dark sort of Bernard Herrmann sound fits for the newer stories.  

THe song on the other hand...yeah....... banghead

That's almost an insult to Elfman. No way would he compose something as generic and boring as this track. Sounds like Doyle is pulling a Dennis McCarthy on us.

Gak! That song is really awful!

The Story Continues sounds a little bit like Cliff Edelman to me. Yawn. It certainly gets better when the familiar theme makes a showing.

The song is not so bad, it's simply one of the worse things I have ever heard.

AS to Doyle's track, there's some interesting stuff in there, and I don't want to sound picky, but doens't Hedwig's theme sound a little, odd? It's the same notes, but with that orchestration, it kinda looses its feel. Maybe it's just me.

I find it strange that the musicians or the producers of this movie decided to go with rock. I on the other hand to seperate the magical world from the muggle world would want the Sisters' sound to be anything but muggle. Perhaps a blend of all types of muggle music into one, jazz, rock, hip hop etc. It's a shame that they rooted the band in rock ,a swing and a miss at a great opportunity to make innovative music. I still can't picutre the kids of hogwarts jamming out to rock. Doesn't fit for me.

The score is another swing and a miss. It sounds like crap, it might as well have been a strident voice on a loud speaker shouting, "DON'T BUY THIS SOUNDTRACK" it would have had the same effect.

The Story Continues sounds a little bit like Cliff Edelman to me.  Yawn.

A bit like the Main title to Star Trek 6.

k.M.

Exactly.

OH come on! You honestly think that that music is boring? I think it sets a great tone for the film! Why do you think it's boring? And I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that's an insult to Elfman. I love his stuff, but come on. Hexachord hexachord hexachord....

By comparison, listen to Williams opening piece for Harry Potter POA...not too much more "exciting" is it? At least not to me. I'm not fooled by the bells and whistles of 32nd notes...

Just listened to those clips. That cue is...eh, it's okay. Not bad; not great. I'm not sure I like that usage of the theme.

And the song...honestly, at first I thought you people were just ripping on it because it's a rock song. But then I listened to it, and...

It is truly awful. :mrgreen:

Listening to that utter trash, and reading the generally good reactions of its crappiness (in the Mugglenet forum) make me want to cry. And then hit someone. And then crawl into a hole, with my three brilliant Harry Potter CDs....

I agree with StrongBad...the score cue is quite good, and it does sound a bit like Elfman. I like it just fine, and I'm anxious to hear what the rest of the score is like.

Ray Barnsbury

The score cue's pretty nice. I'm still wondering what the entire score will be like. It'll probably take some getting used to, but I think it'll be pretty good.

The rock song is really, really bad. :|:mrgreen:

The cue is fine. Frankenstein anyone? I'm expecting the soundtrack will contain music of more interest than this cue. Hogwarts Hymn might be an amazing track. We will have to wait.

But this track foremost makes me miss John Williams.

Oh, and the "rock-song"... It makes be ashamed to admit that I actually like rock music. This song is so lame. I'm glad such a thing never appeared on the first three Potter soundtracks.

Eh, it's too much like Elfman. Disappointing, but I've still got hopes for the rest of it.

Elfman? This is pure Doyle, in his Dead Again/ Franknstein/ Needful Things zone. I think it sounds promising. Rich sounding. I'm afraid that that'll be the only use of Hedwig's theme, as the track appears to be the first track.

I'm thinking Potter Waltz could be a variation on Hedwig's Theme too.

And I almost hear the producers saying to Doyle: "Make sure you use John Williams Harry Potter's Theme a lot otherwise we'll ask James Newton Howard to replace you boy!"

Hmm, don't like the chords Doyle's got under "Hedwig's Theme", they're supposed to contrast but make the notes of Hedwig's Theme sound, out-of-place.

Loved the first 20 seconds of the cue. Really promising there. I loved Doyle's Frankenstein, it made me think of that score.

Not loving that 5 note thing he introduces in the solo oboe and then repeats later. Too...plain. :/

But I hope and think there will be some killer cues later in the score. :)

But it still doesnt' *feel* like Harry Potter to me, not aurally, though the film is itself is shaping up quite nicely.

And the rock song is too bad to listen to all of it, not necessary since in 10 seconds you've heard it all. What a feat, they managed to get through the whole chorus section using only ONE melody note.

Greta

Can't believe this is my first post in here...

OK, enjoyed the Doyle track. He is just an amazing composer. With all the expecting of Memoirs, i really don't care all that much for this -- afterall I never was a Potter fan, and onyl watched the films because of good old Johnny -- but I guess one can say this about the variation on Hedwigs theme: Williams original version was a kind of children mistic lullaby, that was apropiated for little boys and girsl .The kids now acting are no longer young boys and are older, teenagers, and the mood changes with them. So I really don't see much of a problem with that.

Now the song of-what-his-name is just plain trash... I wasn't able to listen to it past 10 seconds.

The more I listen to the song the more I can actually see it working during the Yule Ball sequence. Is it 'magical'? no. Lyrically does it have any context within what the characters are feeling emotionally in the sequence? Yes, I'd say so. It's a very basic song to be sure, but I do think it will work. If you’ve read up on the direction Newell is taking with the kids I think the style of the song is suitable in suiting such an evolution in their growth. Three songs might be overkill though. Hard to say at this point.

As for the score cue, I think it's good. It made me smile. It's a one and a half minute cue no one in their right mind can instantly base a complete judgement of the score on however. I'm a big, big Doyle fan. I think he's a superb composer and I think the opening cue is a hint of promising things with the rest of the score, but it's still the opening cue nevertheless. If one were to judge the entire Azkaban score on 'Lumos' alone it would be incredibly foolish.

.The kids now acting are no longer young boys and are older, teenagers, and the mood changes with them.

And that why i fear the music has rock songs now :)

They had to go cool, instead of orchestral.

I wonder, does the book have scenes where rock songs are needed?

I hope cerrabore's view is not the final thing.

Arent' these books about magic and/with medieval ties? :?

As I said, I don't want to sound picky, but it's not just the instrumentation on Hedwig's theme, it's the tempo. It just doens't sound right. I liked the track though, specially before Hedwig's theme is heard.

They had to go cool, instead of orchestral.

I wonder, does the book have scenes where rock songs are needed?

Why should it be what everyone comes to blatantly expect though? (re: the songs) I just can't berate the filmmakers for at least trying something different rather than having the songs of the Yule Ball being all predictably whimsical, nor can I write off this song in particular as one that serves no purpose other than to serve as some cynical studio ploy to add some trendy music into the film. So the song isn’t magical, well, neither is the most important aspect of the scene really. Again I'll defend the song's purpose in saying that lyrically it would appear to quite effectively cover the conflicting emotions all the kids are feeling at the ball with regards to theim finally trying to summon the courage to get close to a certain girl or boy they like and dance with them...

Is the entire Ball sequence songs? We don’t know. The two Waltz tracks on the album would perhaps suggest it is an extensive mix of Doyle and Jarvis Cocker material.