Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The song is utter crap it makes me nauseous this is being slapped onto a Harry Potter score. It's horrific.

For "The Story Continues", it's alright, it does sound like Elfman and a bit like Don Davis's Matrix stuff in terms of orchestration and rests, the worst part is the usage of Hedwig's Theme - simply because of its awkwardness. It was obviously put in out of necessity and wasn't well thought through. I think its rhythmic and harmonic bastardization is just all wrong. Why turn a chord from diminished to minor, for example? Williams got it right the first time.

I'm really digging the score cue - and I actually LIKE the Hedwig segment. It sounds a bit more "horrorish," which is perfect for Goblet.

As for the rock song... I'll take your word for it and not click the link.

I actually don't mind the arrangement of Hedwig's Theme. Did anyone really expect it to be exactly the same as what Williams did with it? I'm prepared for differences like this.

Ray Barnsbury

Can't believe this is my first post in here...

OK, enjoyed the Doyle track. He is just an amazing composer. With all the expecting of Memoirs, i really don't care all that much for this -- afterall I never was a Potter fan, and onyl watched the films because of good old Johnny -- but I guess one can say this about the variation on Hedwigs theme: Williams original version was a kind of children mistic lullaby, that was apropiated for little boys and girsl .The kids now acting are no longer young boys and are older, teenagers, and the mood changes with them. So I really don't see much of a problem with that.

Now the song of-what-his-name is just plain trash... I wasn't able to listen to it past 10 seconds.

Couldn't agree more with this. From the sound of this, the movie might open in some kind of mysterious scene, and so I think the treatment of Hedwig's theme could be entirely appropriate. And of course the movie and characters are growing up, so it's time for the music to as well, and I've been waiting to hear this theme not only in a big, sweeping arrangement like this, but also in minor.

I love this cue and personally have high hopes for this score :)

What's this "the music should grow up" thing? I don't mind alternate arrangments of a single theme at all (in fact; that's what makes most Williams scores so good), but what was wrong with the original arrangment of Hedwig's Theme? Like the Star Wars Main Title it immediatly let's you know: "This is a Harry Potter movie". I surely hope a more "classic" version is heard during the film's logo. And no; I don't find the original childish.

Nor do I especially, but this opening scene is clearly mysterious, or something's happening, and so the theme has been changed to sound similarly mysterious.. that's my theory anyway.

Who's to say he won't use it again in the normal way?

About Hedwig's theme being different because the characters have matured and so... but:

THE DARNED OWL HAS NOT CHANGED :)

hedwig.jpg

'Ho-HO, thank godness, i dont want a lousy hairdo!'

I dont mind at all the orchestrations as long as the theme/s are used...

Now the songs are another matter... But i have seen the trailer, and it seems there are only waltzlike shots. Maybe the rock songs are for the quidditch match or whatever contest there it is?

Oh and it seems the HP OSTs go shorter every year, with 3 songs there are surely less than 69 mins of score...

Hello everyone. I hadn't posted in a few days (not that anyone would notice :) )

The ferret scene is is on mugglenet, and this is the first time we can actually see and listen to Doyle's score. Humoristic cue. Not very much, but a bit. Going to dinner. I'll watch it again (and again and again) afterwards :flush:)

The ferret scene is is on mugglenet, and this is the first time we can actually see and listen to Doyle's score. Humoristic cue. Not very much, but a bit. Going to dinner. I'll watch it again (and again and again) afterwards :|)

It's sort of like The Snowball Fight music.

k.M.

"The Story Continues" is a great cue. The modern percussion at the beginning got me nervous, but it gave way to fantastic music. I did like the twisting of Hedwig's theme very much.

I've listened to the new track"The Story Continues", and think that it's pretty good. I'm glad Doyle decided to do his own thing, more or less. The variation on the main theme is decent, though it took an adjustment to the normal chord structure I was accustomed to. But I'm looking forward to more. I hope he was able to pull this off, as I'm sure he had to write a TON of music for the film...

Tim

I don't understand why people are praising the new cue simply because it's darker than the last three. As seen from PoA, the music was developing with the tone of the books very nicely and I have no doubt the trend would have continued in GoF had Williams scored it. The orchestration/harmonisation would have changed as well, Williams or not.

I'm starting to like the cue now, it's growing on me, but I like it for all of it, not just the "dark" version of Hedwig's Theme used. P.S. The melody has changed, very slightly. One note different, in fact.

I'm really liking the new takes on Hedwig's theme. The original, or even the permutations employed throughout Prisoner of Azkaban, sound shockingly juvenile in comparison. A bad thing? No, but Doyle's interpretation is a breath of very fresh air. Often, it seems, Williams would have the orchestra would silence itself so that the celesta could solo Hedwig's theme. In these GoF clips, the orchestra remains playing, giving a greater rhythmic feel to the theme. And those high violins are hauntingly beautiful.

Sorry to say the MV march and the six-note motif were not as interesting. But I'm still looking forward to the original aspect of the score, not just Hedwig's theme.

EDIT: About that other GoF clip, did nobody notice? Bart posted this link. Click on "Menu" to get some new GoF music.

The song still sucks.

The score cue is quite nice, it does sound a bit like Elfman, the MV drums scared me as well, but this should make for a good Main Titles sequence. And, as magical_me but apparently no one else noticed, Hedwig's Theme is changed a bit there.

I don't like the version on the website as much.

And I don't think Williams' version of Hwdwig's theme was at all childish. It was very mystical and would still fit.

The score from the movie clip is good, too. The clip itself starts out good, then brings in some childish humor, but I like what Moody yells at Malfoy towards the end. It kind of foreshadows.

~Sturgis

There's a very, very extensive rundown of the film over at Mugglenet

It is contains EXTREME SPOILERS, though.

Doing a quick search, I can't find anything about the score and music in it, apart from an appearance of the School Song.

I definately want to see the film first, but then I'll read it.

Btw, is it just me, or does my sig say that GoF comes out on November 16th? :mrgreen:

~Sturgis, who nonetheless loves the picture

The score cue is quite nice, it does sound a bit like Elfman, the MV drums scared me as well, but this should make for a good Main Titles sequence. And, as magical_me but apparently no one else noticed, Hedwig's Theme is changed a bit there.

Plenty of people noticed. :mrgreen: It's an interesting change. Most notably, the sixth note has been sharped, but this is not the case with the music from the "Menu," so it seems to be a variation exclusive to "The Story Continues." It has also been shifted to a 4/4 rhythm instead of 3/4. Again, however, this is not true for the "Menu" music.

The score from the movie clip is good, too. The clip itself starts out good, then brings in some childish humor, but I like what Moody yells at Malfoy towards the end. It kind of foreshadows.

I found this one really boring. Hopefully it's temp music.

I completely agree with Cerrabore here. This twist of Hedwig's theme is excellent and very appropriate.

What's this "the music should grow up" thing? I don't mind alternate arrangments of a single theme at all (in fact; that's what makes most Williams scores so good), but what was wrong with the original arrangment of Hedwig's Theme? Like the Star Wars Main Title it immediatly let's you know: "This is a Harry Potter movie". I surely hope a more "classic" version is heard during the film's logo. And no; I don't find the original childish.

Come on, don't tell me that Williams gave Hedwig's theme a great deal of different arrangements! We have the celesta version, the horn version and the version in which it's combined with the Patronus music, that's all.

The comparison with the Star Wars main title is wholly inappropriate! A main theme should reflect the basic tone of the film and the characters, and Star Wars, including the people in it, didn't change much since 1977. All six films are packed with exciting adventures (at least that's what Lucasfilm wants to make us believe...) and so the title theme fits every SW film like a glove.

But in HP, the story changes, and so do the characters. From Philosopher's Stone to Order Of The Phoenix the story evolves from a very basic fairy tale- like plot to a multi- layered, very complex story. And the leading characters, at first a bunch of stereotype children, turn into individuals with individual issues and the problems of becoming an adult.

And since John Williams is so bloody brilliant in capturing the essence of a movie in a short musical fragment, Hedwig's theme, with all it's magic and innocence, perfectly describes the 11 year- old kids from film one, but definitely not the teenagers we're dealing with here; it wouldn't do the story any justice.

Williams' version was perfect for film one and two, but for my taste, the use of it in PoA was already somewhat problematic.

I completely agree with Cerrabore here. This twist of Hedwig's theme is excellent and very appropriate.  

Come on, don't tell me that Williams gave Hedwig's theme a great deal of different arrangements! We have the celesta version, the horn version and the version in which it's combined with the Patronus music, that's all.

The comparison with the Star Wars main title is wholly inappropriate! A main theme should reflect the basic tone of the film and the characters, and Star Wars, including the people in it, didn't change much since 1977. All six films are packed with exciting adventures (at least that's what Lucasfilm wants to make us believe...) and so the title theme fits every SW film like a glove.

But in HP, the story changes, and so do the characters. From Philosopher's Stone to Order Of The Phoenix the story evolves from a very basic fairy tale- like plot to a multi- layered, very complex story. And the leading characters, at first a bunch of stereotype children, turn into individuals with individual issues and the problems of becoming an adult.

And since John Williams is so bloody brilliant in capturing the essence of a movie in a short musical fragment, Hedwig's theme, with all it's magic and innocence, perfectly describes the 11 year- old kids from film one, but definitely not the teenagers we're dealing with here; it wouldn't do the story any justice.

Williams' version was perfect for film one and two, but for my taste, the use of it in PoA was already somewhat problematic.

Couldn't agree more with you. Although there is something intrinsically childish about the concept of magic and fantasy (and not in a bad sense of the word), the new variation perfectly captures that illusion, and the drama altogether. I can't wait for the rest of this score.

There's a very, very extensive rundown of the film over at Mugglenet

It is contains EXTREME SPOILERS, though.

That is very well detailed of writing there.. 8O

Damo - who thought he should not of read it...and waited to see the film first. :shakehead:

Okay let me rephrase it, am i the only who will not purchase the score?

EDIT: About that other GoF clip, did nobody notice? Bart posted this link. Click on "Menu" to get some new GoF music.

See now that sounds way better than that trash released earlier.

Well,I haven't purchased any non JW scores in a long time apart from Sky Captain.The use of Hedwig's theme doesn't mean I'm buying this one,at least from what I've heard of it.Plus I hope it sucks anyways

k.M.

Okay let me rephrase it, am i the only who will not purchase the score?

See now that sounds way better than that trash released earlier.

But you will still avoid this score :shakehead:

Question: When you're watching the movie, on the... rare occasion... that you're totally blown away by the score, will you still avoid it to stand by your earlier firm decision? Or won't it even come to this since you decided to hate it and so you will hate it?