Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

I loathed reading the chapters with Grawp in it.  ugh.....  It was annoying and got old quickly.  It'll be more annoying to endure on the big screen....

Me too,those chapters were a pain to read.

K.M.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm annoyed but altogether not surprised that he has been confirmed in the film. Sure, he might be important in the last battle, but that's two movies away. Other than that he's a hopeless waste of screen-time, and I can't wait to hate him.

Though I love OotP as a whole (so many shining moments!), there were several parts which seemed extraneous and even tedious to read. Cleaning 12 Grimmauld Place (:)), Hagrid's [laborious and uninteresting] tale, and the frustrating encounters with Grawp (really Hagrid, did you need another reason for people to hate you?) were all just seemingly unnecessary filler. Although it's a longer novel, creating a shortened screenplay should be much easier for OotP than it was for GoF.

Ray Barnsbury

*cough* And the ridiculous climax in the Department of Mysteries! *cough*

It's no secret that I have lots of problems with OotP. It's still a great book, but I can't help thinking the editor was too scared to cut anything.

I love the climax of the book, from the heart-pounding chase through the Department of Mysteries, to Dumbledore and Voldemort's spine-tingling duel. What exactly, out of genuine curiosity, do you feel was wrong with it?

Ray Barnsbury

Well,that's where they found the Slytherin locket isn't it?  

That, and they established some interesting family ties, but it took a while to go anywhere.

OotP is my favorite Potter novel....by far.  

It might be mine...I can never decide between that and PoA, and sometimes GoF.

Ray Barnsbury - whose least favorite, after still just one reading, is undoubtedly HBP

Well,that's where they found the Slytherin locket isn't it?  

That, and they established some interesting family ties, but it took a while to go anywhere.

It was enjoyable though. More so the second time I read it, when I really liked the book. The Grawp stuff is very tedious indeed, but I doubt JKR would go through all for nothing; I expect he'll have an important (though proably minor) part in the final book.

Ray Barnsbury - whose least favorite, after still just one reading, is undoubtedly HBP

HBP is at least among my favourites. OOTP is nice, but in the bottom three.

Marian - who has to get his HBP back from the friend who borrowed it.

:P Flesh+Blood (Basil Poledouris)

I love the climax of the book, from the heart-pounding chase through the Department of Mysteries, to Dumbledore and Voldemort's spine-tingling duel.  What exactly, out of genuine curiosity, do you feel was wrong with it?

Ray Barnsbury

Well I found the age-old idea of "suspension of disbelief" popping up more than usual in those chapters - obviously not the magical elements, but some of the other parts I had trouble swallowing. For starters, where on earth is the security in the Department of Mysteries? I know on that particular night they could have been dead/disabled/whatever by Death Eaters, but on other occasions we hear about the Department of Mysteries, it's been infiltrated by nothing more than an Invisibility Cloak. Secondly, and the most annoying, is the utter ineptitude of 12 (I repeat, 12) adult Death Eaters, trained beyond seven years at Hogwarts to kill/maim/whatever. They are repeatedly foiled by 6 scrawny, untrained witches and wizards. There's only so many times a killing curse can be interrupted by a lightning-fast Disarming spell before I scratch my head. And then, when Dolhov has a perfect chance of killing one of the little brats, what does he do? He uses a dancing curse on Neville. Right.

It's not until the arrival of the Order that I actually enjoy that scene, and not until the Voldemort/Dumbledore duel that I love it. But the prior two chapters are quite frustrating. I sound a bit harsh here, and despite all of this I still like the book a lot, but coupled with the redundant (or at least agonisingly drawn-out) storylines and events it's far from my favourite.

But H-BP is excellent.

I love the climax of the book, from the heart-pounding chase through the Department of Mysteries, to Dumbledore and Voldemort's spine-tingling duel.  What exactly, out of genuine curiosity, do you feel was wrong with it?

Ray Barnsbury

Well I found the age-old idea of "suspension of disbelief" popping up more than usual in those chapters - obviously not the magical elements, but some of the other parts I had trouble swallowing. For starters, where on earth is the security in the Department of Mysteries? I know on that particular night they could have been dead/disabled/whatever by Death Eaters, but on other occasions we hear about the Department of Mysteries, it's been infiltrated by nothing more than an Invisibility Cloak. Secondly, and the most annoying, is the utter ineptitude of 12 (I repeat, 12) adult Death Eaters, trained beyond seven years at Hogwarts to kill/maim/whatever. They are repeatedly foiled by 6 scrawny, untrained witches and wizards. There's only so many times a killing curse can be interrupted by a lightning-fast Disarming spell before I scratch my head. And then, when Dolhov has a perfect chance of killing one of the little brats, what does he do? He uses a dancing curse on Neville. Right.

It's not until the arrival of the Order that I actually enjoy that scene, and not until the Voldemort/Dumbledore duel that I love it. But the prior two chapters are quite frustrating. I sound a bit harsh here, and despite all of this I still like the book a lot, but coupled with the redundant (or at least agonisingly drawn-out) storylines and events it's far from my favourite.

Suspension of disbelief, yeah. Those chapters confused me, but they scared the hell out of me and took HP to completely new dimensions. Rather surreal. They would have incredible potential for score. :shakehead:

Exactly true. The veil, and Luna's mysterious comments = :shakehead:

~Sturgis, who finds the last third or so of OotP to be f-in' amazing, and who's very glad to have this, our longest thread, back :|

Anyone else been hearing these reports that Gary Oldman might not be reprising his role of Sirus in the upcoming film? Apparently he asking for a lot of money (rumored), and the studio hasn't agreed to it. As of right now, even though filming has started, he has yet to sign on for OotP.

Tim

Considering the character has one of the most important scenes in the book, they can't and won't just skip him. I hope they don't re-cast.

Marian - who found the cameo in GOF pretty pointless (like so much else in that movie).

I didn't really care for Doyle's score to number 4...I hope if they can't get Maestro Williams back, they'll at least pick someone who can do the movies justice. Doyle's attempt was okay, but nothing I'd buy.

GOF is a fine score, a lot more cohesive and interesting then Chamber Of Secrets.

Stefan, your developing Morlock disease, you are losing credibility, the Patrick Doyle score is bland, very bland like a low salt diet.

there is nothing on that score even close to the granduer of Fawkes the Phoenix, or COS, or several other wonderful tracks on the COS soundtrack.

It's not bland, so much that it has a neutral tone to it. It's not overly joyous, or overly evil. It has this "cold" feel to it.

But it's cold like take-away pizza when you've been stuck in a traffic jam, as opposed to "chilling", which a "cold" film score should be. Doyle's score is adequate, but incredibly boring.

I am agree with JoeinAr doyles soundtracks is bland very boring!!John Williams had known find the magical universe of JK Rowling but Doyles Had make a tipical british sountracks!! very bad!! exusme for the term but it's a noob

The only thing I really like about GoF is the statements of Hedwig's theme. I don't get it: every time that theme shows up, the orchestration is suddenly interesting, and I love Doyle's new take on it. Why didn't he devote as much effort to his own themes?

I'm with Steef. I can't stand to watch CoS as it is, but when I hear tracked music jump in at the most inappropriate times I want to rip my hair out. GoF is presented in the movie as it was intended, and the music is mixed at a good level. Not so for CoS, which is chopped, tracked and barely audible. Also, as much as I love Fawkes' theme, it simply doesn't musically associate with the character of Fawkes for me. Where are the haunting, quavering passages that describe how Fawkes sings? It's too "grand" for Fawkes - perhaps better suited for Buckbeak (though his music is fine as it is). Many people listened to the track on reading the last few chapters of H-BP, but I simply couldn't do it. It would have ruined the mood for me. I love the piece, but it's not Fawkes.

Well, don't forget that phoenix song also causes feelings of warmth, comfort, happiness, etc to wash over the listener. Though it does become quite grand, the piece/theme surely achieves this. I don't find it inappropriate at all, and its uses in the film, which is the main place any connection between the screen and music matters, are perfectly fitting. So really, I see no problem with it.

Ray Barnsbury

The mood at the end of HAP was already ruined by Harry and Ginny's sickening break-up scene.  Horribly written romance, just horrible.  George Lucas could write better.

your opinion is in the minority, I thought it was terrific, but if you think AOTC, and Sith were better written, then :roll: