Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

your opinion is in the minority,

Get me statistics. If one's opinion is in the minority, it doesn't mean it's wrong.

I thought it was terrific, but if you think AOTC, and Sith were better written, then  :roll:

Yes, they were. Rowling somehow managed to become a worse writer than George Lucas. HAP was Ed Wood territory.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again your opinion, its the best selling fiction book of 2005, its been on most of the 10 best list of 2005, so its both a popular and a critical success. On the otherhand George Lucas' films have been popular, to an extent, but not a critical success when its writing is mentioned.

its the best selling fiction book of 2005

With Harry Potter, that's inevitable.

its been on most of the 10 best list of 2005, so its both a popular and a critical success

I'd like to read the book they read because I think got a bad fanfic. Either that or standards have been considerably lowered.

there is nothing on that score even close to the granduer of Fawkes the Phoenix.

The track Fawkes the Phoenix is not used in the film at all, so i'm discounting it.

This is true.

I am also a victim of the Morlock-disease (what are the odds, huh?). GoF is excellent in the film, better in the film than CoS. CoS, however, is a much better album and much better music.

The score to GoF, in fact, is probably the best thing about that rather poor excuse for a movie.

OOTP is not bad, it's just a severly badly edited book. Half the book just goes on and on and never really goes anywhere. As movies go, from all the 6 books, I think OOTP will be the hardest to translate into a good movie.

Ok, this is gonna be completely random but:

I was watching Dinosaurs just now (that old 90's tv show with the Sinclair family and Baby "Not the mama!")

Well, I'm on the episode where the grandmother is reading a story to Baby about a dinosaur who's soul trades places with a tree when he gets hit by lightning.

Well, as the dinosaur learns what its like to be a tree, he finds out one one of his branches is a next. The mother looks JUST like Faux the Pheonix.

Now, to make things WEIRDER still, when her babies are born, the music that plays is almost the EXACT SAME THING from the track "Christmas at Hogwarts" form Sorcerers Stone.

It started playting and I sang along with it and then stopped and went "what?"

Just kinda like...a whoa... if you all want I can get a pic and recording so you can hear... it's odd :-p

your opinion is in the minority,

Get me statistics. If one's opinion is in the minority, it doesn't mean it's wrong.

I thought it was terrific, but if you think AOTC, and Sith were better written, then  :roll:

Yes, they were. Rowling somehow managed to become a worse writer than George Lucas. HAP was Ed Wood territory.

Oh god is this what i sounded like when i ranted about POA? If so by the graces of god take my deepest apology, i express it to all of you who have to listen anything remotely like this crap. Please forgive me.

But Drax's has more credibility...IMO.  PoA is a better film than HBP is a book.

Let's not go nuts. PoA was a great HP film, but it was still a HP film. They'll always be flawed.

Pete - Whe reckons HB-P was a better book than OotP was, and they both beat the PoA film.

Oh god is this what i sounded like when i ranted about POA? If so by the graces of god take my deepest apology, i express it to all of you who have to listen anything remotely like this crap. Please forgive me.

Shinzon... I am a mirror for you too.

HBP is brilliant from start to finish, and much better than OOTP (which, contrary to what many people say, is still very good).

Marian - who stands by that.

Even that chapter in the cave near the end?

Morlock- who hates the spirit of that chapter

I loved that, pure suspense. From that point on, I was on the edge of my seat, only POA matches that.

Marian - who was never that excited when reading OOTP.

:music: Starship Troopers (Basil Poledouris)

HBP is brilliant from start to finish, and much better than OOTP (which, contrary to what many people say, is still very good).

wasnt that the point where it actually begun to turn good?

wasnt that the point where it actually begun to turn good?

No ending could save it from a lot of the egregious crap that came before it.

Tim

It won't happen

Duh!

Anyway, I have to say that I also think HBP is the "worst" book of the series. It's still entertaining, and towards the end I felt good tension, but the overall story is wholly uninteresting.

I mean, Harry gets assistance from a potions book that belonged to the "Half-Blood Prince" ... so what? If it wasn't for the book title, this story thread could have really gotten on my nerves; plus Hermione's serious doubts and worries about the book, based on nothing.

Apart from that storyline, there's just nothing there in HBP that could keep your interest up.

Of course there are the private lessons with Dumbledore, in which we learn alot about Voldemort's past, but strangely enough, I don't find that engaging at all.

HBP is tighter than OOTP in my opinion, but both books 5 and 6 lack the clear cut sense of direction and editing of the first 4, which is odd considering she took much longer to write them. Perhaps Rowling writes perfectly edited books as first drafts in a year, then takes two extra years to add waffle and padding. That seems to be how it's been so far. Having said that, I love all the books waffle included!

I don't think it's fair to compare OotP's waffle to HBP's waffle.

In OotP, all the storylines had some serious backgrounds and mysteries that you think could be important. The stuff about Harry getting visions and feeling inexplicable aggressions towards Dumbledore, the "weapon" Voldemort wants, the Ministry in Hogwarts, the pain Harry felt in his mark when Umbridge touched him ... all of that is heavy material with serious backgrounds that has connections to Voldemort and that also FEELS important. Plus, most of it gets resolved at the end.

Except for the information that Voldemort split up his soul there's nothing in HBP that feels even remotely important. And nothing is resolved either.

That's because books 6 and 7 are the one story, split in two over two years.

I think more important things are divulged in H-BP. Voldemort's past, for one, and the reasons why he is nigh-unstoppable (and how he could be destroyed) whereas all we found out in OotP was the reason Voldemort wanted to kill Harry. Because half a prophecy told him something pretty vague about something that might or might not happen. That actually says a lot about the character...

Who says I want to get to know something about a character? HBP contains alot about Voldemort's character, I give you that, but that can't pull a veil over the fact that nothing happens. OotP was greatly entertaining because alot of things happened that actually affected the storyline, whereas in HBP, all that guff about Voldemort's home doesn't help the storyline of book 6 at all. Sure, it might be important for book 7, but as a standalone book it's pretty worthless.

The "it's a story split up in two halfs" doesn't count either; the whole Potter series in one storyline split up into seven parts, and the other 5 work as standalone books pretty damn good.

Who says I want to get to know something about a character? HBP contains alot about Voldemort's character, I give you that, but that can't pull a veil over the fact that nothing happens. OotP was greatly entertaining because alot of things happened that actually affected the storyline, whereas in HBP, all that guff about Voldemort's home doesn't help the storyline of book 6 at all. Sure, it might be important for book 7, but as a standalone book it's pretty worthless.

The "it's a story split up in two halfs" doesn't count either; the whole Potter series in one storyline split up into seven parts, and the other 5 work as standalone books pretty damn good.

What are you talking about? Hogwarts was breached, people died (including the Order's most valuable member), Harry developed some more... The war has actually started. What happened in OotP? A crazy minister member takes over the school, and someone died due to Harry's ignorance. Oh, and some exams happened or something. Perhaps there isn't a major difference in events between OotP and HBP; both had some very important things come to pass. But I can't help thinking that the end of HBP will have far more repercussions and consequences than the end of OotP did/will.

But I can't help thinking that the end of HBP will have far more repercussions and consequences than the end of OotP did/will.

Anakin's marriage with Padme in AotC also has a great deal of consequences and repercussions, yet it is an incredibly poor film.

Who says I want to get to know something about a character?

Characters are what makes both OOTP and HBP good. Aside from that, what is OOTP except for a straightforward suspense piece with a somewhat over-the-top fight at the end and a revelation that's quite interesting, but nowhere as mindboggling as the climatic chapters of the earlier books? HBP, on the other hand, has even more great character stuff and yet manages to keep the suspense at a more constant level. Not to mention it has the most devastating finale yet.

Marian - ;)

:) The Mummy (Jerry Goldsmith)

The characters weren't even themselves in HAP. It would have made sense if Rowling wrote in a scene of the kids smoking Dumbledore's secret pot stash, but all we got was a load of bizarre out-of-characterness. How embarassing.

Suspense? Where do you get suspense from? Did you squeeze suspense out of the ridiculous Half-Blood Prince storyline? Or the plodding "let me reveal another tidbit about Voldemort's past before I include another cliffhanger to make sure you'll look forward to the next private lesson" parts?

There are about two chapters that are suspenseful, and they include the climax of the book.

Suspense? Where do you get suspense from? Did you squeeze suspense out of the ridiculous Half-Blood Prince storyline? Or the plodding "let me reveal another tidbit about Voldemort's past before I include another cliffhanger to make sure you'll look forward to the next private lesson" parts?

There are about two chapters that are suspenseful, and they include the climax of the book.

And much of that "suspense" focused more on super!Ginny's Bat Boogey Hex being used on the Death Eaters. I swear, you hear about her doing that hex so damn much, you'd think that's the only spell she knows.

you negative guys need to get out of my thread. Go start your own Harry Potter sucks thread, and see how big it gets

A little off the current topic, and it may have been asked before, but:

why hasn't anyone ripped the end credits from the Prisoner of Azkaban DVD?

If we're talking ridiculous plotlines I can't believe you would consider H-BP before OotP...

I think a story that revolves around a "mysterious" potions book that helps Harry at his lessons, Voldemort's childhood problems and endless references to love potions is considerably more ridiculous than a story about a good counterpart of the Death Eaters, the mental connection between Harry and Voldemort and a prophecy about their fate.

you negative guys need to get out of my thread. Go start your own Harry Potter sucks thread, and see how big it gets

1) last time I looked, this thread was for anything related to Harry Potter, and criticising a book falls into this category

2) since when is someone a negative guy when he says that a book is flawed and worse than another one?

3) if negative opinions weren't allowed, we could kiss democracy goodbye right away

4) no need to open a Harry Potter sucks thread simply because I don't think Harry Potter sucks; I think that a good part of HBP sucks

5) the quality of a thread is not defined by its length

5) if you've got nothing constructive to add other than your one-line wisecracks, maybe *you* should probably get out of *our* discussion.