Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Neil,all those weird digital edits such as "speed ramp" belong in Britney music videos,not movies.They ruined the last James Bond .They are standard in a lot of TV shows like The Sheild.I just find them distracting and annoying.

K.M.Who had not noticed the one in the PoA trailer

HEY HEY HEY now. . .certain 'artsy' movies can handle it. i didn't really notice it in the trailer as being something that was part of the movie but come on. some movies can take it.

Is that Radcliffe guy and the other two going to return for the 4th Potter film?

The entire continuing cast will be returning. What happens after that is anyones guess. Filming on GOF begins in just a few months, April I believe.

I agree with Ren on the "speed ramp" effect; it all really depends on the film and provided the editor doesn't go overboard. It could be very effective in certain scenes in PoA, though not in that particular shot from the trailer.

If I'm not mistaken, a similar effect was used in one of the CoS trailers but didn't appear in the film.

Is that Radcliffe guy and the other two going to return for the 4th Potter film?

It would be a bad thing to recast the line up. No keep it this way if you like it or not

Mark

There's another effect I don't like ,a sort of a weird shaky or blurry unsteady camera effect that's used whenever Britney Spears is interviewed,what is that called?

After Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wins the Oscar for Best Picture next year, GOF will have even more hype.

After Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wins the Oscar for Best Picture next year, GOF will have even more hype.

Will that be after Cold Mountain wins this year?

Justin

No Justin, it will be after Lord of the Rings, the Return of the King wins this year.

I'm not sure what RoTK will be getting. Mystic River still has a lot of hype around it, and is getting stronger in the box office. RoTK has already maxed out on money and great reviews, has no where to go but down. I think it's far from a done deal.

Although it is certainly possible that RoTK will sweep the oscars with 7-8 wins, I think it's also possible that the competition will be too close in most categories and that the awards will go to a dark horse, like what happened with The Pianist last year. Also, in every category it is nominated in, it is either second best or if it is first, it has a very close second.

I don't think there are any sure bets this year, except for maybe Charleze Theron, and RoTK getting the visual effects oscar. Maybe M&C for sound and Last Samurai for production design, but those are based mostly on reviews, not on real buzz.

If you want my opinion, they don't belong anywhere near movies.  Maybe they are okay for music videos and advertisements.

Neil

Why is it you never mentioned a dislike of "speed ramp" shots when they were used in X2, Neil? Seriously, I'm not trying to be smart-ass, I'm just genuinley curious.

The effect is used, though slightly, in the opening scenes with Nightcrawler as well as in the Cerebro sequences. The first X-Men film featured a few shots using it as well, again in conjunction with Cerebro, and at least once during Wolverine's final fight with Sabretooth.

If you want my opinion, they don't belong anywhere near movies.  Maybe they are okay for music videos and advertisements.

Neil

Why is it you never mentioned a dislike of "speed ramp" shots when they were used in X2, Neil? Seriously, I'm not trying to be smart-ass, I'm just genuinley curious.

The effect is used, though slightly, in the opening scenes with Nightcrawler as well as in the Cerebro sequences. The first X-Men film featured a few shots using it as well, again in conjunction with Cerebro, and at least once during Wolverine's final fight with Sabretooth.

I don't recall the shots in the X-Men movies, but from your description of them, they sound like special effects sequences (especially anything involving the use of Cerebro). If that is the case then maybe it can work there.

I know I was seriously pissed when it was used in several non-effects sequences in Die Another Day, such as the establishing shot of Iceland and during the car chase on the ice later in the movie. In those "narrative" sequences, they stood out as flashy and pointless. Especially when a shot over the landscape was sped up. This is a Bond movie, they are supposed to induldge the audience in exotic locales, not fast forward through them!

Neil

Yes, it's especially annoying when you're watching the DVD at a party full of people who have never seen it, with a DVD player that stuffs up, causing it to speed ramp uncontrollably. There was a lot that was wrong with Die Another Day, this being one thing.

Oh, I laughed when I saw that. It was funny the first time but it got old quickly. Soon it became tedious. I'm glad it was a one-off thing, for the 40th Anniversary of the series. Brosnan mentions it in the DVD commentry, that guy has a great sense of humour.

It's worse then the CGI bullet in the gunbarrel sequence.

I'm not so sure. The gunbarrel is the signature of the Bond movies, and I still can't believe they felt the need to alter it, even just for one time. When I was building the movie, I saw the CG bullet (it only lasts 10 frames) and I thought of cutting it out, but I decided not to. It's not my place to censor movies, but man, what a horrible thing to do to a Bond movie.

Neil

I liked DAD far more than The World is Not Enough. TWINE took itself seriously as Bond movie. I think at least for the first half, DAD had a healthy sense of humor about itself.

The World Is Not Enough is probably the best modern Bond, with Tomorrow Never Dies as close second.

Untill DAD the Brosnan films were doing great.

DAD has a good first half, but it really goes down hill when the film gets to the Ice house.

All the best Bond films, though often stupendous, were believable in their own universe, but there were to many aspects of DAD that i just did not buy (the whole genetic alteration stuff, Graves stupid Bionic suit)

But like Connery and Moore, Brosnan survives this material with ease, so i have hopes for Bond 21.

I didn't like the villains of TWINE.

I loved TND, and it's my favorite modern one. A great mix of everything, but most importantly, one of the best Bond villains ever.

I didn't like the villains of TWINE.

Elektra King was great, the first lead villian in a Bond film, and a great performance by the breathtaking Sophie Marceau.

Robert Carlyle made an excellent Oddjob/Jaws like henchman.

It's a pity everybody seems to think that he was the lead villian. :)

I loved TND, and it's my favorite modern one. A great mix of everything, but most importantly, one of the best Bond villains ever.

Yeah, Eliot Carver was a great villian, wonderfull performance by Jonathan Pryce.

Eliot Carver was a great villian, wonderfull performance by Jonathan Pryce.

Physically he was never a threat to Bond, which is why I never cared for him. The best villains were those that could take Bond on in a fight. Carver was a little weasel and his henchman was dull too. I like TND but I really think despite the score, GoldenEye is the best of the Brosnan Bond's, followed closely by TWINE. DAD to me is a supreme dissapointment and it's down there with the worst of the series.

Neil

Sophie Marceau was perfect in the role of Elektra. King was probably the best villain in the Brosnan films, followed by Trevelyan, Carver and Graves. If Arnold had scored Goldeneye it would have been a flawless film. I'm looking foward to the next movie, and also the game Everything or Nothing. It has most of the voice actors of the regulars: Brosnan, Cleese, Dench and Richard Kiel as Jaws. He's a villain again, but I don't recall him talking much, save for one line ("To us" - Moonraker). The main villain is voiced by Willem Dafoe and Mya will perform the title song and star as Bond girl. And the score will be orchestral, but I can't recall the compser's name. I think he scored 24

Goldfinger and Blofeld (except for Telly Savales), undeniably the two best Bond villains, were never direct physical threats to Bond either, and From Russia With Love and Goldfinger are probably the best and most 'Bond' Bonds.

I don't like most of the ones where the villain is a physical threat. That's the point of the henchmen.

Goldeneye had a lot of good things about it, but I didn't like Alen Cummings or the S&M loving villain at all. Sean Been was great, as he often is (I still think he was the only one who did some above average, and even great acting in LoTR).

DAD didn't come a dissapointment, as I saw it two months after it came out, and already heard all the reviews. Besides, after TWINE, which I thought to be one of the most dull and least engaging Bond's ever, I didn't have high hopes. And, of course, there was Madona, and a song so horrificaly bad, that in a genre known for it's substandard song, the composer of the film publicly called it crap.

I felt that from the begining, Tamahori was poking fun at the Bond series, but in a Bond like spirit. Kinda like Diamonds are Forever, which at times works as a parody. I was cracking up when they began the sword fight- I've always loved how the series manages to come up with the most ridicules settings for the most contrived fights. The second half got worse and worse, and the end was terrible. I hated Halle Berry in the movie. But I don't think she's a very good actress usualy.

Didn't like Xenia?!?! She was one of the best parts. Honestly, Femmke Jansen (I think that's her name) deserved an award for that character! Who wouldn't like a violence-loving sex freak? And Mishkin, now that guy is awesome.

Didn't like Xenia?!?! She was one of the best parts. Honestly, Femmke Jansen (I think that's her name) deserved an award for that character! Who wouldn't like a violence-loving sex freak? And Mishkin, now that guy is awesome.

Her name is Famke Jansen and she's one of Hollywood's most attractive woman! Besides she's Dutch!

I don't think Jansenn is that attaractive or that good an actress. She might've been good in Goldeneye, but I just didn't like her there. I liked Mishkin, I wish he could've been used in more than one movie, like General Gogul (SP).

Goldfinger and Blofeld (except for Telly Savales), undeniably the two best Bond villains, were never direct physical threats to Bond either

Neither was Stromberg or even Drax. A villain doesn't have to be a physical threat to Bond, but the best ones are.

From Russia With Love and Goldfinger are probably the best and most 'Bond' Bonds.

Replace Goldfinger with On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

I don't like most of the ones where the villain is a physical threat. That's the point of the henchmen.

So you don't like Thunderball, For Your Eyes Only, Licence to Kill and On her Majesty's Secret Service?

Goldeneye had a lot of good things about it, but I didn't like Alen Cummings or the S&M loving villain at all.

Famke Jansen's Xenia Onatopp is one of the best things to come out of the Brosnan Bond films. She is such a fun villain. She steals the movie everytime she is on-screen and is so much more interesting than Izabella Scorpuco's character. I liked Xenia so much that I named my sisters cat that (she has golden eyes). :mrgreen:

Sean Been was great, as he often is

And he was a direct physical threat to Bond. :D

Neil