Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

I still don't understand why people are making a fuss. She was answering a question. She seemed to not make a big deal out of the whole thing - it's apparent it was all incidental and spur-of-the-moment.

To be honest, I sometimes wondered why Dumbledore was never attatched to any female in such a remarkable life, especially after what we learned in DH. Obviously it wasn't a massive issue, just a thought, and it's nice to hear the little things that don't matter in the books. The woman could sneeze and it'd be reported in most British tabloids - she doesn't need "publicity stunts" to keep herself known.

And it's also nice to have another positive gay role model in fiction.

Pete - who's also, funnily enough, one of those conservative Christians people have been telling me about.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, blushing is embarrasing. My face turns all red whenever I blush.

Yes, that's usually what happens. Since I've got nothing better to do, I might go do a meter count of how many times Rowling uses the word "blush" in all seven books. Her obsession with the colour red is like so irritating.

Yes, that's usually what happens. Since I've got nothing better to do, I might go do a meter count of how many times Rowling uses the word "blush" in all seven books. Her obsession with the colour red is like so irritating.

I wonder if Slytherins blush green? (and Ravenclaws blue, and Hufflepuffs yellow)

But actually, I'm re-reading OotP, and I found that many times with Cho, it says something like "He felt his face going red," instead of something like, "He felt himself blush."

And the majority of the blushes are pink, not red. I wish when I was either insulted or complimented, my ears turned pink. That would be awesome!

I wonder if Slytherins blush green? (and Ravenclaws blue, and Hufflepuffs yellow)

But actually, I'm re-reading OotP, and I found that many times with Cho, it says something like "He felt his face going red," instead of something like, "He felt himself blush."

And the majority of the blushes are pink, not red. I wish when I was either insulted or complimented, my ears turned pink. That would be awesome!

That hot chick's hair turned pink when she got pissed off. And there's so much blushing going on in these books, you'd think these characters were suffering self-inflicted third degree burns or spontaneous combustion. And they never blush in the movies, but that's not surprising because people never blush in movies, even when another character says to the supposedly blushing person "You're blushing!" I'm like "what are you, colour blind?"

It's actually interesting now understanding Dumbledore's motives. He was infatuated with Grindelwald. It explains a lot of his behaviour revealed in DH - people in love can do some mighty impressive and terrible things.

It certainly makes that behaviour easier to swallow after six books of him portrayed as perfect.

It certainly makes that behaviour easier to swallow after six books of him portrayed as perfect.

Man you left the door wide open with that comment, but I'm not gonna do it. I will RESIST!!!!!

Okay, then I'll be the first: does being gay make him imperfect?

Hehehe ... feels gooood!

I won't make a "swallow" joke, though, I'll leave that to Stefan.

I was referring to the use of the word swallow.

That being gay doesn't make one imperfect.

I never suggested such a thing. I'm talking about the anti-muggle views which tainted his image.

Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood you.

I agree. At first, I was kinda shocked, but now I'm glad, because it shows that everyone has their own weakness, and nobody is perfect.

In any case, I've always preferred to think of Dumbledore as pretty much asexual.

Ray Barnsbury

Me too. Same with Gandalf and Merlin and anybody else in that archetype - it's just not something that crosses my mind any of those kindly-wise-old-wizard-type characters. Weird.

I believe Indy4 was referring to Dumbledore's early views against muggles, not JKR's most recent revelation.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes, that's excactly what I was saying.

If you look at the last page, you'll notice that I was angry that somebody thought that Dumbledore's being gay made him imperfect (then I found out I misunderstood what the person was saying).

Oh, and according to imdb, HBP will be released November 21, 2008.

• 3 months later...

Well, now that it's been resurrected, did anyone see that JKR documentary that came out last month? It was really interesting, a great candid look at her as she finished the book and went through the year.

Good Lord, I had just about forgotten this thread existed.

its a wonderous thread that started 4 years ago

Well, now that it's been resurrected, did anyone see that JKR documentary that came out last month? It was really interesting, a great candid look at her as she finished the book and went through the year.

Was it shown in the US? I know it was made for ITV but I don't know if it made it over here.

BTW, there's already been rumors percolating about an 8th book. It won't be Harry-centric I'm sure as JKR has said, but I'd be shocked if she didn't revisit the Potter universe before much time passes.

Yeah, it is. Thanks, Alexcremers.

we must give him thanks for coining Potterdom

you have that wrong, Ross, I created the tread as a countdown tread to the Prisoner of Azkaban, I just renamed it when he got all pissy about it. He was sick of Harry Potter. It was the mods who decided all things HP should go here.

Was it shown in the US? I know it was made for ITV but I don't know if it made it over here.

BTW, there's already been rumors percolating about an 8th book. It won't be Harry-centric I'm sure as JKR has said, but I'd be shocked if she didn't revisit the Potter universe before much time passes.

It was on TV Catchup for a while, but now the site is only accessible to those in the UK. I was able to find a torrent of it, but I'm not sure if there are any still out there.