Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

Yeah, decent trailer. But I've seen decent trailers for crap movies before. :thumbup:

That last bit got a snigger. And they way they've shot the scene with Dumbledore fighting the Inferi in the cave I keep expecting him to scream "You shall not pass!".

In related news, I've just finished reading Deathly Hallows again for the first time in about a year and a half, and enjoyed it more than ever before. Even the bits in the middle that I never used to care much for. It really is a perfect ending to one of the greatest literary adventures ever. Still, it's beyond me how they're going to split this thing into two movies.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last bit got a snigger. And they way they've shot the scene with Dumbledore fighting the Inferi in the cave I keep expecting him to scream "You shall not pass!".

Haha yeah. I swear they've made him look like Gandalf in that shot.

I liked the trailer, but the teaser was much better IMO (and not the 15 second one).

:)

Speaking of Dumbledore looking like someone, he really seems to look like the original Dumbledore in HBP.

In related news, I've just finished reading Deathly Hallows again for the first time in about a year and a half, and enjoyed it more than ever before. It really is a perfect ending to one of the greatest literary adventures ever.

:P

Still, it's beyond me how they're going to split this thing into two movies.

I think the first should end right after

Harry thinks up the plan to rob Gringotts, while he's waiting at Shell Cottage with the anticipation of a new plan. It would be in the right mood, I think, because even though some very sad and bleak events had occurred earlier, it still ends on the promise of hope (through the new plan).

The only problem would be that it wouldn't quite be cut half and half, but I think that a lot of the parts in the middle that some think to be "tedious" will be shortened down in the film, simply because they get their length from lots of descriptions and things that can be summed up in film in a couple of seconds.

I think the first should end right after

Harry thinks up the plan to rob Gringotts, while he's waiting at Shell Cottage with the anticipation of a new plan. It would be in the right mood, I think, because even though some very sad and bleak events had occurred earlier, it still ends on the promise of hope (through the new plan).

I don't think there's enough at that point for a whole second movie. I guess the best place might be right after they visit Luna's dad (I can't be bothered to look up his name for the spelling right now) and find out about the Deathly Hallows, then the second movie could start with them being captured and taken to Malfoy Manor.

It's still a rotten idea any way you slice it. Like you said, there's plenty that can be cut out to make a proper length, single movie.

If the movie is indeed in trouble, it doesn't show - brilliant trailer IMO.

And I agree, leaving out

Dumbledore's Funeral

is a bit dumb, but maybe they're trying to avoid a syrupy ending. End of CoS anyone? I can't watch that without cringing. I have to admit that the scene in the book seems somehow very extravagant - I'd actually welcome an emotional but less elaborate

mourning

scene. I want these movies to start taking themselves seriously so much.

Yes, well, there is a slight difference between the CoS and HBP ending: the latter is *in the book*, a crucial element of the story and a turning point for whole freaking Hogwarts.

We already had an emotional and less elaborate (one might also say rushed) mourning scene in Goblet Of Fire, and that didn't do it for me.

Ironically enough, why is it that so many complain that this or that little detail was missing in any given Potter film, but somehow, that major cut isn't considered so problematic?

Since David Yates (that's the one, right?) already announced that the film is going to be a teenie flick, I think your hopes of serious drama are in vein for the largest part.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's put together better than the Star Trek trailer. I have to admit that "But I am the Chosen One" bit makes me laugh. Seeing a short snippet of it in there, I'm curious to see how Alan Rickman is going to play the scene where

Snape kills Dumbledore

now that we know how that ends.

he'll play it as if no one knows. We are talking about Rickman, he is a most capable actor.

I really liked the new trailer. The comedy scenes were a bit akward when they were injected into the rest of it, but I'm sure they'll be quite funny when I'm actually watching the film. Can't wait!

Both trailers for HP6 have been really fricking awesome

I can't believe WB is making us wait till July to see it even though the film is in the can

I must have different expectations for this film. That trailer was the biggest load of rubbish I've ever seen. Fake looking sfx, comedy that didn't seem to work well and my god... what've they done to Hedwig's theme :o

Wouldn't be surprised if the rumours about the movie being delayed because it's bad are true.

(And yes I know I praised the last trailer. We're seeing a heck of a lot more of the movie this time)

Yes, the trailer is dark. Very dark. Did they even light this movie or is some git going insane with digital grading again? Frankly, I'm getting tired of it.

The movies have been getting darker literally and figuratively. I don't know how much further they can go with it, at this rate the last film will just be a blank title card.

It's not just dark, and it's not just Potter. I just have a serious problem with all the over the top grading that's being done to movies nowadays, it's really getting out of hand.

I agree John, grading has gone off the deep end. I used to be a technical director for a company that did visual effects for car commercials, and even then with highly-stylistic ads we were always adamant that as much of the real color was preserved on any real plates we had, and we adjusted the CGI to match that, rather than vice versa.

What really gets to me though is the excessive grading ON LOCATION shoots...

Part of it is the switch from film to digital mediums, which doesn't offer as a rich a color palette so there is more emphasis on post-processes to recolor the material, and then once the director sees the power...he gets trigger happy. There is very little subtlety involved these days.

But honestly when was the last time a beautiful sunrise was left alone? The Two Towers I think it was.

I am sure you are not alone, Herr Crichton. Being vision (and hearing)-impaired, these new film gradings are really grating (pun not intended but ultimately realized). I would take Janusz Kaminski's "bleeding colors" over this stuff almost anyday. I did not mind the "dark" look for "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban", though. It provided an excellent contrast to the first two films, in my opinion. Tim Burton is fine, as well.

No, it was not bad at all. As I said, the "dark" look of the film provided excellent contrast to the jaunty and vibrant look of the first two films. It said "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (okay, I certainly intended that one).

POA wasn't that bad. It still had solid colours, and decent shadow detail. GOF was where things started to get really bad. The DVD looks terrible.

GOF has sort of a green look to it. Actually, so does this new trailer.

POA wasn't that bad. It still had solid colours, and decent shadow detail. GOF was where things started to get really bad. The DVD looks terrible.

GOF has sort of a green look to it. Actually, so does this new trailer.

Yeah, I noticed that. I wonder if it's a tribute to the American book cover. The American cover for HBP has always been my favorite Potter cover illustration.

I noticed that a number of films have had that "green look". It gets annoying.

True. I hate the artsy look also. They should get back to the photography of the first two.

Amazingly good trailer, I must say.

The photography of the first two was what I thought made them look boring, uninspired, and generally not very magical. I was relieved whe Columbus left the series and it was allowed to grow up a little bit. This is of course just my opinion, but I consider Columbus one of the least visually/creatively imaginative directors working today.

That "honor" would go to "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", for me. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" is my favorite, so far. (I like the avatar, by the way, Joey.)

That was a gift from Blume.

The photography of the first two was what I thought made them look boring, uninspired, and generally not very magical. I was relieved whe Columbus left the series and it was allowed to grow up a little bit. This is of course just my opinion, but I consider Columbus one of the least visually/creatively imaginative directors working today.

At least he wasn't afraid of color.

At least he wasn't afraid of color.

That's a rather feeble argument. He was afraid to make something that stands on it's own, and something that enhances the book. He took a book and filmed it. I find it insulting when a director assumes that a book is so far above film in class, that anything less than literal and unimaginative adaptation would be fitting. Cuaron showed so much more respect for the characters and the world. His film had some real magic in it. Columbus tried to say 'look at the color! Pretty magical, eh?' and proceeded to yell out 'MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!' at every stage. Cuaron showed us real characters, and the relatability of it made the magic infintesmaly more magical. Columbus filmed a book. Cuaron made a film. Columbus cared about Rowling and WB. Cuaron cared about these characters. I find most of the criticisms of the third film mind-boggling, partiuclarly when compared to it's predecessors.