Going to the movies today...what should I see??

Johnnyecks

Here are my rules:

It has to be a matinee since today is Fri. and every idiot see's films later on in the day and disrupts it for those who paid to see the film and not a) talk on the cell phone, B) kick the chair of the person in front of you, c) talk during the film, d) constantly get up and leave and come back in, and the most recent e) bring their, and apparantly the rest of the neighboorhoods children under 3...cause...ya know, they'll all understand whats going on and be quiet throughout..........

Here are my choices:

Peter Pan at 1:45 (Really looking forward to this movie....)

Return of the King at 2:00pm (in a THX theater, Oscar hopefull, music's great, and I looked forward to it as well....BUT...it's SO LONG!)

or

Big Fish at 1:10 (Can never turn down a Burton/Elfman movie. Especially one that is being praised as his best and most heart warming!)

Ok, so there you have it.

I know most will prob. say Return.... and I would just jump to go see that, but I also have off of work on Wed. and could see it then with it NOT being so close to the weekend. Plus, I don't know if I can sit through a 3 1/2 movie...especially since I thought Two Towers was incredibly slow, and un-eventfull (for me, mind you.). I found that one incredibly laboring and taxing.

So, with that being said....what do you all think?

It's 11:32am here, I'll be leaving somewhere around 12:10 to get to the only THX authorized theater around me.

Looking forward to your responses.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you didn't see "Peter Pan." No matter what time you see it, you'll always be bombarded with 3-year-olds who lose interest and start screaming to go home.

Yeah, see "The Return of the King" for all the reasons you said. I felt the same way about "The Two Towers," but this one is better.

But see "Big Fish" soon as well. I hope to see it this weekend, and want to see if this really is Burton's best (I finally read a negative review, and it makes me wonder if this is just all smoke and mirrors).

Jeff -- really busy this weekend

i'm seeing return of the king again (no. 3) today. but if i had to chose from your choices. . .Big Fish. But I want to see Paycheck too.

I saaw paycheck, was pretty good, saw ROTK 2wice, was GOD...

wanna see big fish just cuz... peter pan... no comment

See Peter Pan. It's better than ROTK, and a truly charming and enchanting film. I haven't seen Big Fish, so I can't comment on it, but it looks very good.

Ray Barnsbury- recent Pan-atic

I'm definitely with Neil on LT. From the previews, it looked like some lame, Looney Tunes rehash, but it wasn't. It was made by Joe Dante--who usually doesn't get the best reviews, but makes a fine movie nonetheless. I don't think I've ever seen a lame movie of his. I've seen all of them except for Matinee and enjoyed all of them. Now, you can't really go into them expecting them to change your life, but they are a good break from life.

Big Fish, definitely. In my opinion, the best flick of 2003.

Really? It's that good huh? And all this time I was searching for a movie to top Gigli.

J/K

Hey go see Big Fish though. It looks like a must see, and besides, (my choice to direct the 5th Harry Potter book) Tim Burton directed it and Elfman scored it.

And can you believe Elfman's score got 4 stars at filmtracks. So do pick that up as well.

Go Elfman!

I just downloaded Big Fish, a small 400MB Xvid, I figured why not I liked the trailer when I saw ROTK at the cinema. I have high hopes.

blech

Ren, did you actually see Looney Tunes or are you pulling a "Rouge_Leader".

Neil - who thought it was a very good movie

If pulling a "Rogue_Leader" means not wasting 8 dollars and 90 minutes of your life watching pure cinematic dreck than I will take that as a compliment. ;);)

Had to get you back Neil!

blech

Ren, did you actually see Looney Tunes or are you pulling a "Rouge_Leader".

Neil - who thought it was a very good movie

If pulling a "Rogue_Leader" means not wasting 8 dollars and 90 minutes of your life watching pure cinematic dreck than I will take that as a compliment. ;);)

Had to get you back Neil!

Pulling a "Rogue_Leader" means commenting on something you haven't seen.

Neil

saw ROTK 2wice, was GOD...

Please no religious discussion.

Neil

sorry... my bad

I can have a comment on something I haven't seen.. . . it's different. I said Blech. . .I don't really like that stuff. I haven't seen it though. . .Rogue sometimes comments hole heartedly about why things aren't good without seeing them. . .there is a difference. My opinion of the trailer was blech. . . .

Wow! I had no idea that my requests for comments would've led to such a spirited conversation! I have to come clean, after much deliberation and thought on the matter I was about to see ROTK and save PP and Big Fish for this coming Wed, when I got tied up at work and was no longer able to go. I could've gone to see a later show, but my sincere disgust, and hatred, to attending a film on a weekend afternoon or night took over and I decided it was best to prob. wait until Wed. That way I can assure the saftey of the annoying teeny-bopper, cell talker, infant bringing, seat-kicking, film going public.

Thanks for your comments though. I will let ya know what I think of the films on Wed!!!!

That way I can assure the saftey of the annoying teeny-bopper, cell talker, infant bringing, seat-kicking, film going public.

Remember that those people are the ones who make your dear film makers rich.

That way I can assure the saftey of the annoying teeny-bopper, cell talker, infant bringing, seat-kicking, film going public.

Remember that those people are the ones who make your dear film makers rich.

<sigh>... I know.......

I know.....

There are some movies that MUST be seen with a big audience. Mostly modern summer blockbusters, that might not stand-up when "watched" in a quiet theater. You need a couple hundred folks laughing and cheering to really enjoy it.

I don't think you need to the epics with an audience. Third, Fourth and Fifth time I saw RoTK I was practicaly alone, and made me appreciate the movie even more, without the assholes clapping and cheering at "I'm no man!".

I think the comedies or heart watrming movies should be seen with an audience. I saw Love Actualy and Intolerable Cruelty twice each, and both were far better the first time, with a full house.

Also the artsy movies should be seen with an audience, since they are generaly a more emotional experience. I saw Dogville and Lost in Translation with a full crowd and it just felt like a more complete experience. Even just talking on the way out of the theater with someone you've never met before feels good, because you've just shared in the agony of Dogville (Story-wise, not the movie, which very good)or the agony of Irrevirsible (Movie-wise and story-wise. Along with Life of David Gale, the most deplorable movie of the year. It's not bad, just morally lacking).

I agree with Truffaut that one of the best images you'll ever see is to look back at a full crowd of people caught in a movie, with the light reflecting on their face. I loved the shot in Catch me if you can, when he's watching Goldfinger and the camera pushes in past the star gazed audience.

I can have a comment on something I haven't seen.. . . it's different.  I said Blech. . .I don't really like that stuff.  I haven't seen it though. . .Rogue sometimes comments hole heartedly about why things aren't good without seeing them. . .there is a difference.  My opinion of the trailer was blech. . . .

I dont comment on them that strongly. I just state what the general consensus of a movie is among the critics.

You know whats surprising? I actually went back to check the review status for this film. It surprisingly scored much higher than I had remembered.

I was expecting like 8% or less, but according to rottentomatoes.com the film actually ultimately pulled 57%. Thats not enough for a "fresh" rating, but its close. Looks like Neil actually may have been correct. Maybe the film isn't so terrible. The reviews seem to more indicate a mediocre film. I know that eill make Neil feel much better! :lurk:

OK seriously Neil I guess I was wrong calling the film crap. To me it just looked incredibly goofy.