Trevor Jones

NeejaHalycon

What are people's general feelings on Trevor Jones? I just got the Thirteen Days score, which I have been meaning to do for a while. So far, it's most excellent. His work on The Last of the Mohicans seems well regarded, and I've seen one amateur review that said his score for Merlin was better than LOTR. (Of course, the reviewer did call it James Newton Howard's LOTR.)

Still, anyone hear have any strong opinions of his work?

I can't say I really know his work- but I've probably heard most of his famous themes. I personally think that his themes aren't all that strong, but the actual scores are great, if not too often listenable. From Hell is great, but I can never listen to that for too long.

My favorite theme of his is (unsurprisingly) Promentary from Last of The Mohicans.

What famous themes? The only one I know of is "O Fortuna" from Excalibur and he didn't even write that. He just used it.

I'm not really impressed by Trevor Jones. Of course, I'm not a big Howard Shore fan, either.

Dan--who still can't believe the epic scores for LotR turned out so bland.

Dan--who still can't believe the epic scores for LotR turned out so bland.

WHAAAT!??! Those scores, with the exception (IMO), of Two Towers, were awesome!

I've heard Jones' Gulliver's Travels and didn't think it was too great.  That's primarily what I based my opinion off of.

I heard it and thought it was quite good. Although that was seven years ago or so :wave: LotM is good anyway.

Trevor Jones, a fine composer with a great talent for writing themes. Merlin, The Mighty, From Hell, Cleopatra, The Dark Crystal, Thirteen Days the list of memorable themes goes on and on. Lord, I find that Gulliver's Travels is one of his most dissonant scores, there are many a fine cue on the album and the theme is find indeed but if you are looking for a good representation of what T. Jones can do, you must get Merlin or Cleopatra. I've heard many good things about his score to LXG, although I don't have it yet. Oh, and how can I forget his GREAT theme for Dinotopia?

Justin -Major Jones fan. :wave:

Arachnaphobia is a great score, what a theme! And a lovely romantic score that's really worth checking out is 'For Roseanna' (Roseanna's Grave), performed with brilliance by the LSO. The cd should be still available, on the RCA Victor label.

-Tim

Trevor Jones Cleopatra I'm afraid is seriously laughable compared to an older score on that topic....

Jones is a decent composer.....

• 8 years later...

Last night i was in a concert of film music with Trevor Jones himself conducting, here in Greece.

First time I've been in a film music concert.

It was great!! And Jones seemed a really nice man (he made a kind of speech at the end)

They played Cliffhanger, Merlin Suite, Aegis, Notting Hill, Last of Mohicans Suite, Chaos, Arachnophobia, Last place on Earth Suite, Dominic and Eugene, The Mighty, Crisscross, The Dark Crystal Suite.

One of the most touching moments was the Mighty with a boy solo and choir, and of course you got goosebumps in Last of Mohicans too.

Right now, I'm leaving in a few minutes for a workshop he's holding..

i just wish he has transcribed for orchestra a suite from Labyrinth too. I think it is more popular than some other unknown stuff..

Trevor Jones? I hold him up on a pedestal similar to John Williams... The reason for this is that he is constantly reinventing himself based on what is asked of him. He has his own voice in film music unlike any other. He has a style that is well-steeped in dramatic instinct, but his spin is entirely fresh and signature. I can say the same for someone like Thomas Newman. People like these push the envelope of what a film score can be. John Williams will always be at the forefront because he is the quintessential musical storyteller, but the sounds that Trevor Jones and Thomas Newman experiment with are really strokes of genius. They push our conceptions of what is possible, and therefore must be commended for their artistry.

The Dark Crystal is as good a film score as anything that John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith have ever done, but for different reasons. I don't find it to be as good at musical storytelling by any means. However, in the spirit of musically capturing a world, it is in some ways leaps and bounds beyond what the other two could imagine. Trevor Jones' music is otherworldly, and that makes him necessary I those contexts.

Trevor Jones? I hold him up on a pedestal similar to John Williams... The reason for this is that he is constantly reinventing himself based on what is asked of him.

He should run for President!

Holy thread bump, Batman!

Well, my two cents, I haven't listened to a lot of Trevor, but I do like Merlin a lot.

The Dark Crystal is one of the signature fantasy scores of the 80s, and that was a decade steeped in rich fantasy scores. I own many of his other scores, but this is the one I enjoy the most.

• 2 months later...

Ladies and gentlemen, he's back! After many years of small projects and being preoccupied with his teaching, he is back to what will probably be some big scale scoring.

http://filmmusicrepo...th-mini-series/

Labyrinth is set against the backdrop of the Crusades and the Cathar massacres and tells two connected stories of a young woman living in Carcassonne in 1209 and a modern-day archaeologist who makes a startling discovery in a cave in the South of France.

That sounds like something that needs quite an epic score!

Last night i was in a concert of film music with Trevor Jones himself conducting, here in Greece.

First time I've been in a film music concert.

It was great!! And Jones seemed a really nice man (he made a kind of speech at the end)

They played Cliffhanger, Merlin Suite, Aegis, Notting Hill, Last of Mohicans Suite, Chaos, Arachnophobia, Last place on Earth Suite, Dominic and Eugene, The Mighty, Crisscross, The Dark Crystal Suite.

Jesus H. Christ, you made me turn green with envy! :P Cliffhanger is definitely one of my all-time favourite soundtracks, especially after Intrada's awesome 2 CD release, and I've always dreamed of hearing the main theme performed live! Hope somebody's uploading something to YouTube, I'm dying to hear this!

The Dark Crystal is one of the signature fantasy scores of the 80s, and that was a decade steeped in rich fantasy scores. I own many of his other scores, but this is the one I enjoy the most.

Agreed. I have the 2-disc "TDC", and it's beautiful. I would love to get my little mitts on a complete score for "Excalibur".

• 2 years later...

I like him, especially the 90s stuff.

But he's been "off the scene", more or less, for at least 15 years now. Strange. He seemed so good at adapting to various stylings (like the Zimmer-inspired G.I. JANE) that it seems weird that he's now bogged down in less-than-stellar TV etc.

Jones was a composer I was completely unfamiliar with until a few days ago, when I checked a video recording of his 2006 Soncinemad concert, and I really liked what I heard there (from each and every score featured there). Big fan of his music for Merlin! Dark Crystal also seems to be quite good, and so does Roseanna's Grave.

Will definitely have to check many of his scores.

You posted all those videos, it was so random that I assumed he died. I really like a select few Trevor Jones scores, but I can't get into all of them yet.

Weren't they going to make a sequel to dark Crystal a few years ago with Trevor Jones on board as well? Does anyone know whatever happened to that?

I love his early 80s work like THE DARK CRYSTAL, NATE AND HAYES and EXCALIBUR, and his more synth-based scores like ANGEL HEART, RUNAWAY TRAIN and SEA OF LOVE. On the other hand his more popular 'epic' scores like LAST OF THE MOHICANS and CLIFFHANGER leave me cold.

Jones was a composer I was completely unfamiliar with until a few days ago, when I checked a video recording of his 2006 Soncinemad concert, and I really liked what I heard there (from each and every score featured there). Big fan of his music for Merlin! Dark Crystal also seems to be quite good, and so does Roseanna's Grave.

Will definitely have to check many of his scores.

Dark Crystal is fantastic. Check out Dark City and Cleopatra. Those two are great.

The Dark Crystal is epic, one of the great 80s fantasy scores. And "My Noble Knight" from The Mighty is as moving a piece of music as I've ever heard. I was never much for Cliffhanger, but I think part of that had to do with the fact that the first several notes of the theme come straight from Last of the Mohicans (a score I never cared for as much as everyone else seems to).

Jones is a good composer who ventures into the great at times. It would be nice to see him back on the scene again.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Both the OST release and the Varese re-recording clearly indicate which composer did what.

You probably would not be asking this if you had bought the album legally instead of snatching a download somewhere.

Indeed.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Both the OST release and the Varese re-recording clearly indicate which composer did what.

You probably would not be asking this if you had bought the album legally instead of snatching a download somewhere.

I am talking about the complete version. That was never officially released, was it?

Legally there is only the OST, and then the Varese Re-Recording.

I thought the complete score boot was just a fan made mixture of the two?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I thought the complete score boot was just a fan made mixture of the two?

It is? I thought it was a rip from an isolated score-only track on the DVD or something?

Anyway, I am not exactly very familiar with this score at all; I'm just trying to clean up the tags on my MP3's.

There's nothing morally wrong with downloading music the licensors don't want to release commercially IMHO.

Ah, I didn't realize the DVD had an iso score.

If that's the case, for any music that wasn't on the OST or re-recording, I dunno if you'd be able to tell which composer did that cue unless you were very familiar with their different styles within that score.

Well, if the fan edit I've got is hardly worth it, then perhaps it is time to revert back to just the OST.

I'm not particularly fussed about that anyway. Is there anything worthwhile that is unreleased at all?

• 4 years later...

I listened to the European version of "Arachnophobia" this morning.

AHHHH!!! That's THE thing.

image.png
I have been duped when I purchased the American version of the CD, half of the album is made with silly 90's songs!

Hollywood Records... pffff