Best Films + Scores of 2003

CYPHER

Why hasn't anyone started this thread yet? It is taboo? Or too passe? Anyway such concerns can't stop me! :)

So in each of your very humble opinions, what were the 10 Best Films and 5 Best Original Film Scores of 2003? (I say 5 best film scores as many of you might be hard pressed to name 5 decent soundtrack releases of last year ROTFLMAO).

Now I understand that films are released at different times throughout the world, so as long as the movie received its first cinematic release in your country during 2003 it's eligible. The same goes for film scores - so long as the CD or the film it accompanies was released in your country last year. Also if the film was made in 2003 but not released in your country until 2004 (and you've seen it) then it counts too.

Personally I'll need to think on the matter a bit more so I'll get back to you all with my choices later. Have fun! ROTFLMAO

CYPHER

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not enough good films to make 10:

Return of the King

Lost in Translation

Peter Pan

The Last Samaurai

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Finding Nemo

Best Scores:

Return of the King

Last Samurai

Peter Pan

Finding Nemo

(golly gee... seems to be an intersection)

Not enough films? More like not enough good scores!

Best films (Not a strong assortment of films here but this was a lousy year!):

-Master and Commander: Far Side of the World

-Lost In Translation

-Seabiscuit

-Return of the King

-Cold Mountain

There are more I am not thinking of.

Best scores (hardly a major aggregation here, but ultimately this was a TERRIBLE year as far as film score releases go):

-Call of Duty

-Secret Weapons Over Normany (Mike Giacchino is THE composer of 2003)

-Return of the King (not that great but it makes it because it releases in such a weak field)

-Children of Dune (nice surprise from Brian Tyler)

-Last Samurai by Hans Zimmer

Best films

Return of the King

The Last Samaurai

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Big Fish

Best scores

Return of the King

Matrix Revolutions

Call of Duty

Best Films:

M&C:FSoTW

Last Samurai

RoTK

The Man from the train

Lost in Translation

Dogville

Holes

Best scores:

Matrix Revolutions

RoTK

X2

Children of Dune

Best Films:

1) Finding Nemo

2) The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

3) ...

I haven't really seen a lot of films that weren't the big blockbusters everyone was waiting for. Oh well. Just my two cents. :)

- Marc

best films of 2003,

1. darkness falls.

2. cabin fever

3. wrong turn.

4. 28 Days Later.

I decided to go with small films this year for my top choices.

28 Days Leter was very good, but I think it was too short. And the end didn't fit. But the idea was great, and it was very effective untill the last 15 minutes.

There were actually 3 movies that I really enjoyed going to:

The Return Of The King

Finding Nemo

Bruce Almighty

As for Scores

Return Of The King

The Robe (Varese CD Club)

Predator (Varese CD Club)

I could go on and on but a large majority of the scores I bought this year were from films released years ago.

best films of 2003,

1. darkness falls.

2. cabin fever

3. wrong turn.

4. 28 Days Later.

I decided to go with small films this year for my top choices.

So your choosing to be solitary and independent from the others here eh? Well good for you? :mrgreen:

However, Joe ......... DARKNESS FALLS!?!?!?! :?

Ummmm that movie is pulling 9% at rottentomatoes.com (only slightly better than Gigli). Also the few people I know who've seen it online and off pretty much all hated it. You must feel somewhat isolated being so positive on that movie especially since you put it at number 1!

Anyway, I am not attacking you. Just wondering what you enjoyed so much about the movie so many others missed.

Ummmm that movie is pulling 9% at rottentomatoes.com (only slightly better than Gigli). Also the few people I know who've seen it online and off pretty much all hated it. You must feel somewhat isolated being so positive on that movie especially since you put it at number 1!

No offense but you sure you didn't mix up one from your worst of the year list?  :mrgreen:

Hey Rogue, would it really kill you to ever watch a movie before criticizing it? Nobody gives a F**K what friends of yours think. If we did, we'd ask them to post here, which may not be such a bad idea, since it may take away from some (most?) of your recent negativity.

Neil

Look Neil I am gonna be frank here buddy. I don't care how many times you keep saying it.

I can criticize what I want when I want whether I've seen it or not.

I really don't care at all if your policy is "You must see the movie before you judge it".

MY POLICY is the only one that matters to me and that states that if a film is given such ridiculous levels of criticism that DAMN NEAR everyone is flaming it, then something must be very wrong with that film.

Not to mention Neil, I'd suggest in the future you stop going off all half-cocked and analyze my posts a little better before youy reply to them.

If you actually READ what I wrote in the very post you quoted you would see I NEVER ONCE criticized Darkness Falls. I merely stated that the film HAD BEEN very heavily criticized by critics and audiences .......

and yes ...... there is a difference!

Stating the film had been poorly recieved is not scrutinizing a film its merely stating facts. I'd suggest you'd recognize the difference between the two.

Its not like I said "What Darkness Falls? THAT MOVIE IS PURE POOPOO!". Perhaps I had made similar comments about other films I had not seen in the past but personally it doesn't matter to me. As I stated above if a film looks like crap, smells like crap, and is being talked about like crap. I dont hestitate to classify it as such.

If your attitude is different well then good for you, but mine isn't going to change.

BTW I have seen countless people on here judging stuff before they've seen it. Even you on a few occasions. How many people have we seen on here blasting Episode III without having seen it? Now I don't have any problem with this seeing as how the last two turned out. Shoudl you?

As for my supposed "negativity". Only about 1/3 of what I post on here is negative. The rest is positive. For some reason people like to focus in on the negative more than the positive.

Anyway, look in all fairness I will admit I probably should have refrained from coming off sounding as critical of Joe with that last post. It wasn't meant to be, I was only joking.

The only reason I even bothered mentioning it is because I was surprised that Joe who sually exhibits such good taste surprised me by saying his number 1 film of 2003 was one so poorly spoken of by most people and I was curious as to why he enjoyed it. I merely chose my words poorly and for that I am sorry to Joe if I came off sounding condescending. It wasn't my intention to do so.

I'll edit the original post.

William, you know what I think about Rottentomatoes?

I think it is a stupid and rediculous site.

I love the score to Darkness Falls, and think its a terrific horror movie.

It has a great monster, and some terrific chills, and it does something most horror films don't do, it avoids being a pottie mouth film.

I decided to do a best horror movie list of 2003 instead of mainstream films. I really think Brian Tyler's score to Darkness Falls is outstanding, one of the 5 best of 2003.

William, you know what I think about Rottentomatoes?

I think it is a stupid and rediculous site.

I love the score to Darkness Falls, and think its a terrific horror movie.

It has a great monster, and some terrific chills, and it does something most horror films don't do, it avoids being a pottie mouth film.

I decided to do a best horror movie list of 2003 instead of mainstream films.  I really think Brian Tyler's score to Darkness Falls is outstanding, one of the 5 best of 2003.

Well I will admit that rottentomatoes.com isn't perfect, but its the best system I have for gauging the quality of movies. I mean you can also talk to people online and people you know but its harder to get a realiable overall point of view thatr way.

I mean with RT.com you just click on a movie and get a score. Definately a rudimentary system but in terms of being quick and easy and fairly realiable its still pretty good IMO. I will definately admit is not perfect though.

Anyway as for Darkness Falls I am seriously glad you enjoyed it. I am happy when people can find enjoyment in movies these days which is hard to do. Like I said I was just surprised when you put that movie as number 1 on you list even on one of less mainstream movies is all.

My Top Ten Film of the Year:

10. He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

9. The Last Samurai

8. Finding Nemo

7. American Splendor

6. 21 Grams

5. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

4. Big Fish

3. Mystic River

2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

1. Lost in Translation

Honorable Mention:

All the Real Girls, Better Luck Tomorrow, House of Sand and Fog, Kill Bill, Man on the Train, Matchstick Men, Open Range, Peter Pan, Russian Ark, Thirteen, and Whale Rider

Top Scores (in no particular order)

-Big Fish

-Return of the King

-Peter Pan

-Last Samurai

-The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions

Ted, who is glad to be finally posting again

Joe have you seen Master and Commander?  

Justin -Who thinks that's the best Stand-alone movie of the year.

No Justin, it has Russell Crowe, and I cannot stand to watch him.

Favorite movies:

Big Fish

The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions

Return of the King

Sinbad

The Hulk

Favortie Scores:

Big Fish

The Matrix Reloaded

The Matrix Revolutions

Return of the King

Sinbad

The Hulk

Favorite Cues:

The Matrix Reloaded Suite (Soundtrack)

Neodammerung

Finding Nemo, how dare I forget that! Set in Sydney too!

Anyway, I generally don't go by reviews, I think that reviews are often done by intelligent people (well.... and not) who tend to be bothered by very specific things that won't necessarily affect that many other people, I rather prefer opinions of people I know on forums or IRC. But jeeze, Rogue, you bash films before you see them all the time, maybe that's sometimes ok, like you have fears about your impression of what it's going to be.... but you seem to regard reviews and impressions the same as judging the film after seeing it.

So your choosing to be solitary and independent from the others here eh? Well good for you?  

However, Joe ......... DARKNESS FALLS!?!?!?!  

I concur.

Hey come on Joe. Why are you so judgmental on my pick, the Hulk, and yet you pick an ill-contrived movie such as Darkness Falls?

And in all honestly I had no intention of criticizing your pick, but if you?re honestly going to get on the Hulk, then, let me tell you why I liked it. To me, I thought that this thread was purely opinionated, and, seeing as there?s no real criterion, (except someone?s opinion) then why not leave it as such.

The reason I chose the Hulk is because of the approach they took with it. Ang Lee didn?t want a movie glorifying the Hulk?s feats- seeing as the Hulk?s never really put in the context of ?super hero.? Instead, here?s a guy who has to face his afflictions, and is, frankly, looked down upon on society, instead of receiving the praise most comic book characters get. To me, those are the major reasons I liked the film so much. I really felt sorry for him, and although, it didn?t follow the comic books to a tee, I did enjoy this version of it.

So Joe, let?s get rid of this aura of negativity. After all this thread is not a debate, it?s simply opinion and yes I do respect your opinion, but let?s leave it at that. :music::)

Movies:

1. Return of the King

2. The Two Towers Extended Edition

3. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

4. X-Men 2

5. The Hulk

6. Matrix Reloaded

7. Finding Nemo

I know a few of mine aren't popular, but i really don't care.

(3,5,6)

Scores:

1. Return of the King

2. X2

3. Hulk

4. LXG (League)

5. Matrix Reloaded

6. Matrix Revolutions

Joe have you seen Master and Commander?  

Justin -Who thinks that's the best Stand-alone movie of the year.

No Justin, it has Russell Crowe, and I cannot stand to watch him.

Dammit Joe that guy is one of my favorite actors! :music:

What do you have against him?? Just curious. You dont like his personality maybe? That seems to be the consensus complaint against him.

As for your dislike of The Hulk, I gotta agree the movie had some major flaws. Neil REALLY hated that movie. Can't say I blame him.

Although I gotta admit I loved Nick Nolte's performance in that movie. Over-the-top but in a good way.

I think Nick Nolte is good everywhere.

I don't know if Russel Crowe is one of my favorite actors, but not seeing the man's movies means missing out on some fantastic movies. L.A. Confidential, The Insider, M&C, all great movies with great performances by everyone. Even the overrated and inherently flawed Beautiful Mind sported a very good performance by him.

Russel Crowe, Joe is just jealous, he's a pretty actor with popularity. :) A top target to stone by the other men of the tribe. ;)

Actually he was born there, he lives down under. So yes he is big and makes people proud when he wins awards.

Yeah I know he lives on the Continent now, I just meant he was from NZ originally.

He could've been in the LOTR trilogy. What a missed opportunity.

The man could've made an even more bad ass Aragorn! :)

Russel Crowe, Joe is just jealous, he's a pretty actor with popularity.  A top target to stone by the other men of the tribe.  

good one Morn, good one, made me laugh. If I had as much money as Crowe has I would get rid of that knot in the center of my forehead. ;):)

As for Darkness Falls, yes I love it. Guilty pleasure perhaps, but unlike Hulk, it never pretended to be something other than it was. Darkness Falls is just a scary movie, while the Hulk is an action film, disguised as a psychological look at the inner works of the mind. I did like the Hulk poodle though.

Movies:

Master and Commander

X2

The Hulk

LOTR: ROTK

Finding Nemo

Daredevil

Scores:

ROTK: ROTK

X2

Secret Weapons Over Normandy

Call of Duty

Matrix Revolutions

Voodoo Vince

Well seeing as though almost no one else has done it, I've decided to exclude from my list the non-2003 films that were nonetheless released here in 2003. That way my results are more easily and effectively compared with everyone elses. I'm reluctant to do so however because it means marginalising many films that almost certainly would've made my top 10 films of last year, including in alphabetical order:

Buffalo Soliders (2001), Catch Me If You Can (2002), Chicago (2002), Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002), Gangs of New York (2002), The Hours (2002), Personal Velocity (2002) and The Pianist (2002)

So that leaves my list of the Top 10 Films of 2003 looking something like:

1. Cold Mountain

2. Mystic River

3. Kill Bill: Volume 1

4. Peter Pan

5. Dreamcatcher

6. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

7. Lost in Translation

8. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

9. Finding Nemo

10. X2

As for the 5 best scores of 2003, I can really see why its been referred to as a lacklustre year. Similarly to above, if one excludes the 2002 film scores released in 2003 we miss out on such serious contenders as (in alphabetical order) Cabin Fever (Nathan Barr and Angelo Badalamenti), Catch Me if You Can (John Williams), The Hours (Philip Glass), One Hour Photo (Reinhold Heil and Johnny Klimek), and Solaris (Cliff Martinez).

That leaves the following as my pick for the Top 5 Film Scores of 2003:

1. Peter Pan (James Newton Howard)

2. Cold Mountain (Gabriel Yared)

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Howard Shore)

4. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Iva Davies, Christopher Gordon and Richard Tognetti)

5. Mystic River (Clint Eastwood)

CYPHER

PS - Welcome back Ted! :sigh: It seems like you've been gone for ages. What've you been up to?

My favorite movies this year:

1.) Peter Pan

2.) Holes

3.) X-2

4.) Bruce Almighty

5.) Finding Nemo

6.) Return of the King

7.) Pirates of the Caribbean

Favorite Scores:

1.) Peter Pan (James Newton Howard)

2.) Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Harry Gregson-Williams)

3.) X-2 (John Ottman)

Peter Pan is my favorite by far in both categories. I adore the film, score, and overall experience they combine to create.

Ray Barnsbury

Movies:

1.) Finding Nemo

No comments on this one. I was simply amazed.

2.) X2

Probably the best comics-adaptation I've seen.

3.) LOTR:ROTK

I consider myself as one of the few who think ROTK was the weakest of the three. Though this might change with the EE. But it's still a wonderful movie.

4.) Catch Me If You Can

(I saw it in February :sigh:)

5.) Master and Commander

I didn't want to see it because of Russell Crowe but I won tickets for it so I watched it and thought it was very good.

6.) Bruce Almighty

I havent seen Peter Pan, Big Fish or Last Samurai, these haven't come out here yet.

Scores

1.) LOTR:ROTK

Best of the three CD-s, but weakest of the three scores (all my favorite cues are on TTT CD which I think is the least listenable cd of the three).

My favorite cues are tracks 3,4,5,19 and these are my favorite scenes in the movie as well.

2.) X2

3.) Matrix Revolutions

Another addition to best scores- Once Upon A Time In Mexico. Rodriguez did a great job, especialy for his first solo score. A big fun Mexican influenced score.