JW's best use of the triangle?

JoeinAR

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this was meant to be a serious question, but let's pretend it was. To hear a triangle clearly you would really need more than a one-way speaker, but once you're home with it, you'll understand how important instrument it is. At least no less than xylophone, I'd say. Dvorak, for instance, had been utilizing triangles extensively in his works. I'm not sure where Williams used it to a greater extent, I'd guess it would have had to be in JAWS, but it can symbolize so so much more than one would dare say. Like when the tension rises, triangle speeds up on clanging and you know it's not gonna be a sweeping love romance to come onscreen. Ideal to be used in marches, too, though one might think this little instrument must be overborne by other huger instruments, but for its high tone, it's not. As opposed to tension-symbolizing ability, it can also be used for loosening fast-paced segments of pieces towards their ends or in between bridges of large movements.

Just a thought of an amateur, though.

Roman.-)

Or to make the strings of woodwind phrases more clear.

Sometimes the triangle can be confused with the chimes (that instrument that looks like a marimba or vibraphone, only metal instead of wood). Well, at least when I didn't know anything about music, I thought it was the triangle.

triangle, we used to all play that at school when I was like say 6. Heh.

A whole school of triangle players . . . it's enough to send cold chills down my spine. :sigh:

It's quite simple, actually. Just notate which size triangle you want, how big a beater the player should use, and then put notes in the score (on one line, of course, and then write triangle above it.) :-)

Just kidding.

Best use of the triangle - I don't know if it's the best, but what comes to mind is Smee's Plan from Hook. But I don't have it with me so I can't check to make sure it's there! I think there's a cute little hit towards the end.

First track from LOTR: ROTK, it's only one chime from the triangle

but that's all it needs :D

And if Williams had written that your post would have been relevant.

Neil

First track from LOTR: ROTK, it's only one chime from the triangle

but that's all it needs ;)

And if Williams had written that your post would have been relevant.

Neil

It was about Williams. Q couldn't have answered it. Q is only here to find out who this John Williams is that has influenced Michael Giacchino.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The last chord in "For Gillian" has a triangle hit in it. I think Williams is the only film composer who writes brilliantly for percussion although he uses it sparsely. It is always there to serve the music while most other composers go for maximum impact without having to sweat and use percussion more as an sound effect for cheap thrills.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The last chord in "For Gillian" has a triangle hit in it. I think Williams is the only film composer who writes brilliantly for percussion although he uses it sparsely. It is always there to serve the music while most other composers go for maximum impact without having to sweat and use percussion more as an sound effect for cheap thrills.

I think so too. With the exception of celeste, bells, and other "jingly" things - chimes, triangles, sleigh bells, etc., he doesn't write a whole lot of percussion. Bells and celeste are everywhere! Harry Potter, the Olympic themes, Star Wars, the Cowboys - his other favorite percussion instrument is the snare drum, I think. But other than that he doesn't really go nuts on percussion - he lets the orchestra carry the melodies and uses the percussion for effect. (Namely snare drum for military or pompous sorts of things!) Which is brilliant!

I prefer North's way of finding as many uses for it as possible, Williams uses it in the established ways, North finds all the new ways, often plays the main theme of the score on a timpani.

For Gillian  :) (twice in the beginning, once in the end, if i'm not wrong)

It written so well that one doesn't even notice it's there.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I was listening to For New York this morning and got about halfway through it before I remembered this thread and realized the triangle was playing almost nonstop throughout the whole piece. Not just a beat here and there, but some really great rhythms.

As to Williams's other percussion, there's some great stuff. The first minute and half of "The Pheasant Hunt" from Empire of the Sun is written exclusively for percussion instruments. And don't forget the excellent percussion effects from "In the Idol's Temple" from Raiders.

Anthony, :mrgreen: "The Pheasant Hunt"