John Williams Conducts --

Elmo Lewis

I recently acquired the Leonard Bernstein Conducts "West Side Story" VHS, which turned to be quite a joy to watch. For those who don't know what it is, it's a 100-minute video containing footage of Maestro Bernstein himself conducting the entire musical, with a dream cast (José Carreras, Kiri Te Kanawa and Tatiana Troyanos). Each session is treated separatedly, like chapters in a book, and consists essentially of two or three outtakes, Bernstein's words of wisdom to correct the musicians and singers, and the final recording of the song following (with especial stress on the conducting). Then somebody would just comment on the song or how great the musical is.

Now, re-read the above parragraph and change the name "Bernstein" with "Williams". What score pops to mind for being re-recorded free of any narrative constrictions and filming most of the sessions?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you do, because it's most worthy of trying to be improved. TESB, I wanted a hifi version performed as well as the original performance which nothing has matched.

As far as I understand, we're talking about re-recording not rescoring.

The only possible improvement I could see being done is in the recording. However, I feel the Special Edition Improved audio is good enough.

The SE sounds bad...the score is in dire need of either decent remastering or a good re-recording. The same goes for the other two scores.

Marian - who also wants a good re-recording of Conan the Barbarian.

I'm waiting for it in the mail!

Morlock- who today got a package with Total Recall Deluxe Edition, Aliens Extended Edition, Krull 2CD, Dracula, Matrix Revolutions, Speed and Mrs. Doubtfire. And of the one's he's listened too, he loves Krull and is rather unimpressed with Aliens.

Morlock2- who thinks that was too much third person

Krull is great. I think Aliens is a great horror score, but there's not a single track musical enough for me.

I was expecting more from Mrs. Doubtfire, but once you get over the fact that Shore isn't all that great at writing themes, it's a very nice listen. It sounds like a Randy Newman score, like The Paper and the wonderful Parenthood.

The SE sounds bad...the score is in dire need of either decent remastering or a good re-recording. The same goes for the other two scores.

I'm pretty sure i can hear more musical details in the movie on the VHS tape of the S.E.

K.M.

As long as Lucas doesn't replace Sir Alec Guiness with Ewan McGregor standing in in those scenes he made.

And the lightsabers turned into walkie-talkies :S

;) Williams Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra

Dan Higgins, sax

Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles

John Williams

The best stuff Shore has written is Ed Wood

Finally! I agree- I love that score. I only got it, together with the DVD a couple of months ago, and they're both instantly among my favorites. I've seen the movie 3 times plus once with commentary, and listened to the soundtrack coutless times. It's I think his most creative, sort of a loving tribute to the spirit of Ed Wood. Of course, I especialy love the last four tracks (excluding the music video thing).

It's listed on the case as the music video. And they actualy have the stupid and pointless video on the Region 2 DVD (The region 1 is only coming out in Febuary).