Jerry Goldsmith

'Sirius'

Probably there was a similar topic on this before, but as I am quite new to film scores (my first soundtrack CD was HP&SS, since then I have about 20 of them,mainly JW), I was wondering...

What are the Jerry's , say best 10 scores, that are worth buying?

I only have The Mummy which I think is good but a little too repetitive.

And buying Star Trek: TMP is on my to-do-list.

Thanks,

S.B.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get a full range of Goldsmith I would recommend these titles:

1. Patton - Film Score Monthly release or Varese Re-recording

2. The Blue Max

3. The Omen

4. Night Crossing - Intrada

5. Total Recall - Varese Deluxe Edition

6. The Challenge - Prometheus

7. Alien

8. Planet of The Apes - Varese (yes I know most people would say it's a difficult listen but it's worth it)

9. Tora Tora Tora - Film Score Monthly release

10. The Sand Pebbles - Varese Cd Club release

11. The Final Conflict

12. Hoosiers

13. Basic Instinct

14. Rudy

15. The Illustrated Man

16. Star Trek The Motion Picture

I know it's more than 10 but these are some of my favorites.

2. The Blue Max

3. The Omen

7. Alien

8. Planet of The Apes - Varese (yes I know most people would say it's a difficult listen but it's worth it)  

10. The Sand Pebbles  - Varese Cd Club release

11. The Final Conflict

12. Hoosiers  

13. Basic Instinct

14. Rudy

15. The Illustrated Man

I've never heard 'Night Crossing' and 'The Challenge', otherwise I would agree with this list. I would throw in Poltergeist as well, I'm wondering if Mark left it off by mistake. It's my favorite Goldsmith CD and a perfect companion score to E.T.

Jeff

2. The Blue Max

3. The Omen

7. Alien

10. The Sand Pebbles  - Varese Cd Club release

11. The Final Conflict

12. Hoosiers  

13. Basic Instinct

14. Rudy

15. The Illustrated Man

I've never heard 'Night Crossing' and 'The Challenge', otherwise I would agree with this list. I would throw in Poltergeist as well, I'm wondering if Mark left it off by mistake. It's my favorite Goldsmith CD and a perfect companion score to E.T.

Jeff

D'oh...yes I forgot Poltergeist. By all means please add it to the list. You know I've got about 100 Goldsmith scores and add those to all of my other scores, well I can't remember what I have.

Night Crossing is a Disney produced film based on a true story about a group of East German citizens escaping over the wall in a hot air balloon. It has a powerful main theme and several lovely secondary themes. Intrada released two versions, one of them an expanded CD which is still available but getting harder to find.

THE CHALLENGE is a martial arts film (1982) directed by John Frankenheimer and starring Scott Glenn & Toshiro Mifune. Some of the action music sounds like it was used in The Mummy.

Thank's for the help, guys! :wave:

I only remember seeing Alien, Total Recall, Planet of the Apes, Rambo and Star Trek.

I never heard of Patton or Blue Max. It seems I'll have to sit down and watch quite a few of these older movies as well, if I can get my hands on them.;)

Could you write down a few words about these movies as well?

(Yes I know there's imdb but I' woul like your opinions.)

Looks like Mr. Williams's movies are much more well-known, at least to me.:)

S.B.

;) Sabrina (John Williams)

I just love the score and the film too...

I say you should check out Rambo: First Blood Part II. That's a wicked awesome score. It totally beefs up the quality of the movie. If anyone else besides Jerry had done it (realistically-speaking), then it wouldn't have been as good. Jerry's timing for which mood to hit is perfect. It's right up there with Total Recall and Air Force One for best action score (or only action score).

Planet of the Apes, Alien, Patton, Tora Tora Tora, Total Recall, Star Trek 1,5,8 are all essentials. :wave:

You forgot The Blue Max

;) Goldsmith The Blue Max Suite

London Symphony Orchestra

Jerry Goldsmith

"Jerry Goldsmith titles for the John Williams fan":

1-Poltergeist

2-The Final Conflict

3-Star Trek The Motion Picture

4-The Secret of Nihm

5-Twilight Zone,The Movie

6-Explorers

7-Legend

8-Supergirl

9-King Solomon's mines

10-Logan's Run

Planet of the Apes is not essential,unless you enjoy the noise of sticks hitting on salad bowls.Sure it's original,but hardly listenable music

K.M.

Me: "Supergirl? Supergirl?"

KM: "It's just a little bitty place."

Me: "Supergirl?"

KM: "Miss Tessmacher's got her own..."

KM: "Okay! Okay! I'll just wipe it off here..."

Me: "Supergirl?  Supergirl?"

KM: "It's just a little bitty place."

KM: "Miss Tessmacher's got her own..."

KM: "Okay!  Okay!  I'll just wipe it off here..."

Ever notice the name of Miss Teschmacher's place? It's at the top of the map and called "Teschmacher Peaks", and the illustration is two large snow capped mountains. :music:

Neil

Ignore him, he has a few faulty and miswired neurons.

Me: "Oh yeah? Well you're a...you're a miswired moron..."

Morn: "Are you talking?"

Me: "Shut up, Richard!" :music:

Night Crossing is a Disney produced film based on a true story about a group of East German citizens escaping over the wall in a hot air balloon. It has a powerful main theme and several lovely secondary themes. Intrada released two versions, one of them an expanded CD which is still available but getting harder to find.

Intrada (who produced it) still have it in stock I think. It's one of his best scores. And the source for the non-Prokofiev stuff in Horner's Battle in the Mutara Nebula.

Marian - :P

:music: The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover (Michael Nyman)

What are the Jerry's , say best 10 scores, that are worth buying?

Since you're already planning on buying Star Trek - The Motion Picture (my favorite score by Goldsmith), I'll just recommend a few others, in no particular order.

Poltergeist

Total Recall

The Blue Max

The Secret of NIMH

Outland

Capricorn One

The Omen

Coma

Damien: Omen II

The Final Conflict

Supergirl

The Boys from Brazil

The Swarm

Legend

Star Trek: Nemesis

Air Force One

It's been my experience that you can hardly go wrong with any score by Goldsmith. He is very consistent with the quality of his music. That's probably why so many of us love his music so much.

Neil - who doesn't like the score to Logan's Run (and that's about it)

It's been my experience that you can hardly go wrong with any score by Goldsmith.  He is very consistent with the quality of his music.  That's probably why so many of us love his music so much.

It's been my experience than you can often go wrong with Goldsmith, and I personaly think the comparisons between him and Williams are ridicules. I think Williams is number one, Goldsmith is two and so on.

I love him- but I think he's overrated, and it really pisses me off how Filmtracks and FSM are so biased towards him.

Here are my random thoughts about his scores, and this is probably the most flame inducing post I've ever written.

Out of the ones I own, I think The Final Conflict and Air Force One (complete only, the original sucks) make for the best albums.

The Omen is great, but too much of the same thing.

Twighlight Zone is great.

I think Poltergeist, both movie and score, are terribly unoriginal.

I can understand how everyone loves Total Recall, but I find too in tune with the movie, which I think was wrong and didn't capture the spirit of Dick.

Nemesis has nothing interesting in it- I find it to be Goldsmith Hornering himself.

Papilon is very good.

Patton is classic, and rightefully so- IMO Goldsmith's best.

Supergirl I think is a tiny bit better than the sucky movie- I don't understand what everyone sees in the main theme.

First Blood has nothing interesting in it, but from what I've heard of it, Pt. 2 is great.

First Contact is great.

Planet of The Apes is great in the movie, but makes for a terrible listen on the CD.

Rudy is a very nice listen, but I don't think it's any different than the Randy Newman sports scores.

Gremlins is very fun, but I love even more all the great self parody he does in The New Batch.

Sum of All Fears is very good, one of the most 'Goldsmith' scoes in a while.

L.A. Confidential is a great score, with two absolutely fantastic tracks.

I can't stand First Knight, and I think the fanfare is one of the most flimsy and pathetic fanfares I've ever heard.

Agony and Ecstasy is very good.

Agony and Ecstasy is very good.

It's 90% Alex North though.... Yes, they both worked on it.

Planet of The Apes is great in the movie, but makes for a terrible listen on the CD.

Serial isn't for everyone. :D

Only things by North I have is the song "Unchained Melody" performed by the, umm Smothers Brothers is it?

LOL

j/k I have the score for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf conducted by Goldsmith

I have a far-too-limited Goldsmith collection considering how much I love his music but here's a list of the best.

In no particular order:

1. The Omen Trilogy (I consider those a single body. The Final Conflict is the best)

2. Legend

3. Total Recall

4. Runaway

5. Lionheart

6. Star Trek: Nemesis

7. Planet of the Apes

8. Patton

9. Star Trek: Insurrection

10. Poltergeist II

Yes but generally cheesey and inferior emotionally to the rest of the score that is North. :D

When I first heard that prologue piece it reminded me a lot of E.T..

I consider Final Conflict to be for Goldsmith what The Fury is for Williams. :P

Marian - who will soon hear the A&A prologue live in concert.

:P The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold; Morgan/Stromberg)

I just started listening to The Final Conflict a couple of weeks ago (I just got it), and was immediatley grabbed. The final track (The Final Conflict) is so great, has a genuine epic, religous feeling of cleansing, of evil being banished from the world. Too bad it served such a sub standard movie (and less then serious series). I personaly like the Main theme more than Ave Satani.

I have to say, I love that little clarinet solo in the middle of "The Enterprise" from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Very nice.

He must have liked it too, since it's one of the few things to be in both the original alternate version and the final piece heard in the film.

Neil