Congrats Howard Shore...

Johnnyecks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with the muted excitment? unlike what generally happens the best man won! (Although te Big Fish song was better IMO).

This was a very promising Golden Globes. RoTK won three things it deserved, almost shutting out Cold Mountain, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Bill Murray, Charleze Theron all deserved to win (even though the second choices in all the categories would also be good choices). Big change from last year, and very promising for the oscars.

He absolutely deserved it. I have heard all the others best scores, except that "Girl with the Pearl Earring" or whatever it's called, and while "Big Fish" was my other choice, "ROTK" hands down deserved best score.

I can't remember all the nominees for best song but it was;

Sting for Cold Mountain (I think)

Pearl Jam for Big Fish

Bono for .... um ..... something

and I can't remember the other one.

As for the Globes, I didn't watch the rest of them after the score award but what I had seen it was.... ok. The speeches (some of them) were pretty funny. The guy's speach for "The Office" when he won best actor in a comedy, was great. "Wrap Up.. ok... bye" and walks off. That was funny.

Other than that, it's 8 in the morning and I can't think of anything else.

I think this year's Globes is a rare case of an Award show that actually got it right. Maybe the Academy will learn a lesson from this and not shower Cold Mountain with nominations, because it really wasn't that good of a movie at all. My Top 3 Picks last year were Lord of the Rings, Lost in Translation, and Mystic River, and they were the top winners last night, so I'm incredibly shocked. And Bill Murray's acceptance speech was one of the best I've ever seen. Absolutely hilarious. In the category for best director, I would have been pleased with Jackson, Copolla or Eastwood since they were equally deserving. That's my thoughts. Oscar nod come out tomorrow, they should be interesting.

Ted

I've read somewhere that the Globes are fake...

The Golden Globes are awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. A collection of movie journalists from non-American papers and magazines, one would think. But it's nothing like that; there are foreign reporters at the HFPA (mostly from obscure magazines and websites), but the most of the 90 members are Americans, moviefans who take advantage of their function to come near by stars. Their judgement rarely depends on the quality of the movie, but of the attention (dinners, presents) that the studios spend. 'They are the vultures of the movie industry,' says the (serious) moviecritic John Powers. 'But somehow, one find their judgement very important.' But how did they get their power? It seems that Hollywood enjoys the game. The studios who want a price on the poster, the actors... Everybody knows that the Globes be of little importance, but the industry of awards must keep existing. 'Hollywood has become famous for the way she makes things up and afterwards believes in her own lies, the Globes are the climax of that.

;)

Well, I think the awards were not very fair. ROTk better than Mystic River?What's thw world coming to...

They are both great movies as far as I'm concerned. Mystic River perhaps would have been higher on my list if it weren't for the ending as well as a few plot holes.

Ted

Mystic River should have won Clint Eastwood a best director award. But again, this is ll a big joke.

The best movie of the three Rings movies is the one in the middle and that's the one they overlooked at most award ceremonies(if not all) last year

I don't think RoTK was the best movie of the year, I personally liked Master & Commander, Mystic River and The Last Samurai more, but the three movies as a whole deserve recognition.

I guess they had to give the LOTR fanboys one major victory.  

Seriously though ...... who cares? These award shows mean very little to me anymore.

Yes, I agree with you that last part you said.

But look, the third one you mught think it's the better one because it resolves (albeit very poorly) what happened in the previous movies. The middle episode was the better one, it's the one with more dramatic content. Of course, unlike so many movies that are sequels, these movies are one, only separated. They cannot be one without the other, but for me the one that holds stronger as a movie is The Two Towers

BTW I also think ROTK winning makes more sense this year since it opened against a INCREDIBLY weak field.

I mean what was its major competition? Mystic River and Cold Moutain? Hardly noteworthy classics. Both were very good, but neither was that great.

Congratulations and thanks to Howard Shore for this fabulous score.

Well I guess Stefan has a point he does deserve his accolades for the LOTR scores as a whole. ROTK was very good too.

I also think ROTK's score won for the same reason as the Best Picture award: Weak Field!

What other noteworthy scores were there? I cannot really think of any.

Kind of won by default, but ..... victory is still victory. :)

I don't think Thomas Newman was the right composer for Finding Nemo. His music is perfect for about 75% of the movie, but I don't think he's good at writing dramatic/suspeneful music. There are times when I think the score to Finding Nemo is sooooo bad, and its mostly during the more dramatic, sometimes action-suspense oriented scenes.

Ted

The theatrical version of TTT is easily the least good of the three movies, by far. It gains immensely in the EE though, I can't decide whether it's better than FOTR or not. But I expect ROTK:EE will be the best.

For winning the Golden Globe on best score

Deservedly. :)

and (partially) best song.

Mostly. He did all the music, though he shares the award with Fran Walsh who did the lyrics.

Marian - happy. :fouetaa:

Congrats, PJ and Mr Shore :sigh:

IMO the score won deservedly, but the movie didn't.

As I said before I think it was the weakest of the three, but I have high hopes for the EE.

I would rank them:

TTT EE I was surprised to see what a huge improvement it was

FOTR (EE) I like the theatrical version just as much

TTT

ROTK

As for the scores, I really can't decide, they're all great. :P

The song also won very well deserved.

As for the movie, I'm still happy that at least one LOTR movie revieves an award,.:)

S.B.

holy shit i missed that! i wanted to see her for ever. peter made the comment back on FOTR EE that she was like the unspoken person that didn't want to be on camera blah blah blah. i just figured she wouldn't be there. that is amazing and i friggin missed it. i hate having to go to bed early.

You could probably do a search and find Fran's picture Ren if you were determined enough

Congrats Howard, you've done it again

Lost in Translation -- not sure whether to cheer or to shrug. Although it was my favorite film of the year (Finding Nemo a close second), I'm not sure whether it's worthy of all the critical acclaim showered upon it. I found the semi-love story touching but, for the most part, the comedic elements were repetitive and surprisingly conventional.