Congrats Howard Shore...

Johnnyecks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And New Zealand wins out against our Australian movie Master and Commander, grr! :sigh:

We actually New Zeland and Aussie movies funded by America. :)

Anyway neither was the best drama, Big Fish was, wasn't nominated!

I'm big fan of the LOTR books, really big fan. I've read the trilogy 6 times. But I think it's a little unberable the amount of praise these films are getting. It's overkill. As for the scores, I find them very weak and lacking, specially for a story of this nature.

M & C and Mystic River were so much better films than ROTk, IMHO. ESB is so much more worthy of this kind of recognition that the LOTR movies.

Romão, who thinks anyone that thinks the LOTR are in par with the SW scores must be tone deaf.

Someone else on this board said in another topic, "there have been no masterpeices this year." I would have to agree to that statement, but i thought RotK was the closest thing to a masterpeice. The cinematography was amazing, the emotions were strong, it was exciting, sean astin gave a performance worthy of an oscar nod, the acting from the entire cast was good (not all great but none were bad) and everything was wrapped up very nicely. It is the best of the trilogy IMO and deserves best pic from the academy.

I loved Mystic River, it was a very deep movie, but a movie with plot holes and bad ending does not deserve to win such awards apart from acting (Penn was exceptional). Master & Commander was great too, but it just didn't have that thing that made people say "WOW that was amazing!" Everyone i know says "yes, go see it, its a pretty good movie." Cold Mountain wasn't that good and did not deserve 8 Golden Globe nominations. Finding Nemo is one of my favourite movies of the year, i just dont think it will win anything apart from best animated feature, which is sad. LotR deserves best pic as well as a few other big oscars (best director ect.).

Now as for Howard Shore winning the Golden Globe, i think he did deserve it. RotK is the best LotR score in the films (not on the CD) IMO. It sent shivers down my spine countless times and i thought it had the most feeling in it compared to the other LotR scores. I'm happy for Shore. Plus there was nothing that much better or any better than it this year, so it won fair and square.

Now as for Howard Shore winning the Golden Globe, i think he did deserve it. RotK is the best LotR score in the films (not on the CD) IMO. It sent shivers down my spine countless times and i thought it had the most feeling in it compared to the other LotR scores. I'm happy for Shore. Plus there was nothing that much better or any better than it this year, so it won fair and square.

Yeah, but let's hope the academy will give Williams his necessary props next year, especially since he has two scores coming.

hitman20-Who wonders how Howard Shore is mentioned on almost every post & how Zimmer remains the most criticized composer?

(Poor, poor Zimmer. Let's hope your Arthur score is good!)

Someone else on this board said in another topic, "there have been no masterpeices this year." I would have to agree to that statement, but i thought RotK was the closest thing to a masterpeice. The cinematography was amazing, the emotions were strong, it was exciting, sean astin gave a performance worthy of an oscar nod, the acting from the entire cast was good (not all great but none were bad) and everything was wrapped up very nicely. It is the best of the trilogy IMO and deserves best pic from the academy.

Call me cynical (as I'm sure you will), but I think the emotions were just there to counterpoint the action, just as any action movie needs a love story. And I don't think any of the acting deserved a nod except for Serkis, and Been (in the first movie), and neither deserved to win.

As a movie, this is not that unique. As an achievment- it's the greatest ever, but never the less- it's a movie, and of the genre calle epic. Epics neither have nor need great acting. Just look at Star Wars.

I think people like Astin because they like Sam, whom Astin did a good job of recreating. I think Been and Serkis are the only ones who made their characters leep from the screen. Gandalf, Aragorn, Merry, Pippin, Faramir, Arwen, Thoden and just about everyone else- these neither require nor recieved great acting. Frodo I'm conflicted about- I think Wood was terrible in FoTR, borderline in TTT and absolutely great in RoTK.

I think one of the things a masterpiece must have is, like Howard Hawks said about something else- at least three great scenes and no bad ones. There are very, very few movies I can think of that fit that description- The Godfather, Amadeus, Schindler's List, Raiders of the Lost Ark, 12 Angry Men, Lawrence of Arabia, Patton and maybe a handfull of others.