3rd JWFan Composition Contest "Harry Potter"

MSM

The description of the third JWFan competition contest will be:

"Write a theme for any Harry Potter related character, already having appeared in one the movies or just inspired by the books. Your choice of style and orchestration is up to you, as long as the theme fits the character. You may take Williams' music as inspiration but your theme must be original."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here we go, time to kick off the third JWFan Composition contest. Your task is as follows:

"Write a theme for any Harry Potter related character, already having appeared in one the movies or just inspired by the books. Your choice of style and orchestration is up to you, as long as the theme fits the character. You may take William?s music as inspiration but your theme must be original."

The deadline for submission will be the 27th of February, this gives everyone plenty of time to do any required research for some not familiar with the books.

Scores may be submitted as mp3?s, midi or Sibelius files. I will then apply my samples via Gigastudio to the midi and Sibelius files and convert them to mp3?s. This process may take a further two weeks to complete before all the scores are posted to the JW website.

Send your scores to: Chris@Landeron.freeserve.co.uk

Anyway good luck to everyone, lets make it a good one. :)

Ok here we go, time to kick off the third JWFan Composition contest. Your task is as follows:

"Write a theme for any Harry Potter related character, already having appeared in one the movies or just inspired by the books. Your choice of style and orchestration is up to you, as long as the theme fits the character. You may take William?s music as inspiration but your theme must be original."

The deadline for submission will be the 27th of February, this gives everyone plenty of time to do any required research for some not familiar with the books.

Scores may be submitted as mp3?s, midi or Sibelius files. I will then apply my samples via Gigastudio to the midi and Sibelius files and convert them to mp3?s. This process may take a further two weeks to complete before all the scores are posted to the JW website.

Send your scores to: Chris@Landeron.freeserve.co.uk

Anyway good luck to everyone, lets make it a good one. :)

Great, thanks Forge!

Curses! I have writer's block! And this is the sole competition I should have the most inspiration for.

What do you use to make MIDI files sound nicer? Do you have soundfonts and samples and record it as a WAV file?

Curses! I have writer's block! And this is the sole competition I should have the most inspiration for.

What do you use to make MIDI files sound nicer? Do you have soundfonts and samples and record it as a WAV file?

Send your midi file to Forge, who will record it with samples (as he will do with all satndard midi submissions)

I´m really thrilled to hear your works! After all that contest is harder than the first two i guess...everyone in here knows the Harry Potter music very well and knows what sounds like it and what doesn´t...but im sure you´ll do a great job!

My standard set up is Sibelius linked to Gigastudio sampler. Not an ideal setup, but it works for me! All my instrument samples are from the Advanced Orchestra Range. I know Advanced Orchestra is getting long in the tooth now. Does anyone recommend any good sample libraries I could get?

I've composed more of a "suite" of themes that could work for several characters in the new Azkaban film. What's the best way to get the mp3 file in for submission? It's around 5 meg...

Thanks,

Jason

I've composed more of a "suite" of themes that could work for several characters in the new Azkaban film. What's the best way to get the mp3 file in for submission? It's around 5 meg...

Thanks,

Jason

It seems quite a few people can't make it before the deadline. Maybe we could move the deadline? Forge, what do you think?

That?s fine by me. So far I know of only one person who will submit their score before the 27th. So it wouldn?t be much of a competition.

Would a further extension of a week be sufficient or do people require longer?

The deadline has been moved to the 27th of March

Bloody hell a whole month, Ok fine I?ll go along with that, gives everyone bags of time to come up with their individual master pieces. But lets make this the final deadline.

The final deadline for the Harry Potter score competition is now the 27th of March

:mrgreen: Bolero by Ravel

The deadline has been moved to the 27th of March

Bloody hell a whole month, Ok fine I?ll go along with that, gives everyone bags of time to come up with their individual master pieces. But lets make this the final deadline.

The final deadline for the Harry Potter score competition is now the 27th of March

:mrgreen: Bolero by Ravel

Thanks!

Wow!!, Thx.. i will play....  

What does the winner win??  

Well the winner wins a Luxury holiday in the Maldives, where he/she will enjoy the golden beaches and enjoy all the amenities the islands have to offer.

The catch is the winner has to arrange and pay for the entire holiday!

• 3 weeks later...

I´m Sorry i have to leave...

i´m actualy rebulding my house and i have to unbuild my Home-studio....

But i will post my track when it was ended.. promaise you!!

Sorry :cry: :cry: :cry:

D.M

Would it be that surprising after the lackluster reactions to the last competition? Personally I don't have much time right now, plus the Harry Potter thing doesn't really inspire me, but the lack of interest in the last competition made me look for othe places to present my music.

Probably the present subject is more interesting for listeners.

Musicpete, what places do you use to present your music?

I've only had two entries so far. But they sound excellent. I think the quality of the music gets better with each new competition.

Keep sending them in! :)

Would it be that surprising after the lackluster reactions to the last competition? Personally I don't have much time right now, plus the Harry Potter thing doesn't really inspire me, but the lack of interest in the last competition made me look for othe places to present my music.

Hey musicpete, you did a corker last time around, its a shame you're not going to join in this one.

@Forge: Thanks for the nice words! Maybe next time there'll be a contest subject that inspires me more. Plus I have to score a tiny amateur movie and that takes most of my free time right now.

@MSM: Since I'm playing around with GPO lately I concentrate on the forums of www.northernsounds.com (especially the Garritan forum). Tons of nice people over there (exactely like in this place) but more of them comment on posted music.

btw: What the heck is a "corker"? I really know many english words but this one is new to me... :mrgreen:

What the heck is a "corker"?

Corker = "very good!"

It was definately one of my favourites from the last competition. I like music with a good strong theme.