Video documetaries and film music concerts on DVD and VHS

E-Wan

I'd like to see some documentaries or videorecording of film music concerts on DVD or VHS (PAL only). I'm especially interested in everything connected with John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Ennio Morricone and Bernard Herrmann.

Does anybody here have such DVDs or VHS recordings in very good quality? Or have you friend who has it?

I'm going to trade something in return or pay for it.

Please let me know!

E-Wan

e-wan@cswu.cz

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An RC2 DVD of a Morricone concert was recently released in Europe, entitled Ennio Morricone - Arena Concerto. It's very good mostly, though I'm not too happy with the sound, it's way too surround-y. I don't know if that's the mix or just the Arena acoustics though.

Marian - who wants to see more releases like this.

:| The Final Conflict (Jerry Goldsmith)

Hello,

on my video archiv:

Tangelwood 2002 / 2003 conducted by Williams ( 2x~45min )

Classickonzert ( 15min music from williams ) not conducted by Williams

Williams plays music from AI ( 5min )

Andreas ( Admin )

I have a video of John Williams writing and then conducting some scenes of The Empire Strikes Back. It runs for about an hour.

I also have a German concert featuring some Williams music, like Star Wars, Theme from Schindler's List, Hymn to the Fallen and Dry Your Tears, Afrika. That's about half an hour.

Finally, I have the Seven For Luck video. Williams chats with Rita Dove, explains his approach to each poem and then we see him conducting at the gala with lead soprano Cythia Hyman. Don't remember how long that is.

-Ross, who owes each video possession to Miguel Andrade.

I have a video of John Williams writing and then conducting some scenes of The Empire Strikes Back. It runs for about an hour.

Ah yes, that's very nice. I only have a low-quality VCD of it, but the overall sound of the music still seems better than on the SE CDs.

I also have a German concert featuring some Williams music, like Star Wars, Theme from Schindler's List, Hymn to the Fallen and Dry Your Tears, Afrika. That's about half an hour.

I saw that on TV. Not really the best performances (not bad, but not very good either as far as I remember), but it still send chills down my spine.

Marian - :P

Have you got it on DVD or VHS? I've got this documentary only as a very low-quality Video-CD from Miquel. It's so wonderful that I want it in better quality playable in full screen resolution :)

I have a Williams concert not conducted by Williams, what will you offer?

Is it that German MDR concert from Miquel or is it something else?

Classickonzert ( 15min music from williams ) not conducted by Williams  

Williams plays music from AI ( 5min )

Is it on DVD, VHS or AVI, MPEG,...etc? Thanks for info.

An RC2 DVD of a Morricone concert was recently released in Europe, entitled Ennio Morricone - Arena Concerto. It's very good mostly, though I'm not too happy with the sound, it's way too surround-y. I don't know if that's the mix or just the Arena acoustics though.

Yes. I know that. I have ordered this DVD two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it :?

E-Wan - who loves documentaries and film music concerts :P

Andreas ( Admin )

Tanglewood, or evening at pops?

Would you be interested in a trade?

BTW I have following videos (omitting bonuses from ofic. film DVD releases):

Video-CDs (thanks to Miquel): Angela's Ashes documentary from CNN, German MDR concert (mentioned above), Oscar Medley, The Unfinished Journey, The Empire Strikes Back BBC documentary, Seven for Luck  (both mentioned above)

VHS: Film Music Masters: Jerry Goldsmith - legendary 70+ minutes documentary about Jerry Goldsmith; it contains video from recording session of The River Wild, interviews with Jerry Goldsmith, Carol and Joel Goldsmith, Arthur Morton, Paul Verhoeven, Franklin J. Shaffner, ..etc, shots of famous 'blaster beam' in action, ...

It is probably the best film music composer's documentary I have ever seen.

Same question to you- would you be interested in some sort of trade?

VHS: Film Music Masters: Jerry Goldsmith - legendary 70+ minutes documentary about Jerry Goldsmith; it contains video from recording session of The River Wild, interviews with Jerry Goldsmith, Carol and Joel Goldsmith, Arthur Morton, Paul Verhoeven, Franklin J. Shaffner, ..etc, shots of famous 'blaster beam' in action, ...

It is probably the best film music composer's documentary I have ever seen.

I have that. Unfortunately, my VHS copy is damaged, the picture is totally unrecognizeable. The audio is fine though, so the whole thing is still very good. But it's a real pain to not be able to see all this (blaster beam?? :mrgreen:)

Marian - who just watched STTMP.

Ah yes, that's very nice. I only have a low-quality VCD of it, but the overall sound of the music still seems better than on the SE CDs.

Are you mad? :mrgreen:

Is it that German MDR concert from Miquel or is it something else?

Probably, though I did not get it from him.

• 3 weeks later...