The Academy Award for Best Score should go to ...

diskobolus

The Academy Award for Best Score should go to ...  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Danny Elfman - Big Fish
    • Gabriel Yared - Cold Mountain
    • Thomas Newman - Finding Nemo
    • James Horner - House of Sand and Fog
    • Howard Shore - Return of the King

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how much someone loves a particular score, I still don't think he can decide what deserves the award if he hasn't listened to the other nominees. Myself, I want to say Thomas Newman for Finding Nemo, but I haven't heard the Elfman, Horner, and Yared scores at all.

From what I've read, I predict that I'd like Big Fish the best. But I've only heard Shore's and Newman's so far, so I can't really make a valid decision.

Ray Barnsbury

As much as I love all the scores (except for Cold Mountain, haven't heard it yet and not normally a Yared fan), my vote must go towards ROTK.

Newman's score for "Finding Nemo" is wonderful and a joy to listen to, Horner's "House..." is a deeply emotional listen, and Elfman's 'Big Fish" is his most mature score to date, but ROTK (along with the other 2 films) is quite an accomplishment. Besides for the Star Wars saga, film music just doesn't get this big and remain thematic anymore. In the same way that Star Wars isn't Star Wars without Williams music, Shore's music for LOTR cannot be replaced.

This just isn't film music, this is musical experience!

Now...bring on the expanded releases!

Jamesyboy - who was glad Shore won the Golden Globes.

From what I've read, I predict that I'd like Big Fish the best.

Depends on how much you're fond of string writing in "Sommersby" and playfulness of "Sleepy Hollow". "Big Fish" swims somewhere in between the two. Elfman masters strings well in this score, it's a pleasant listen overall, and quite an achievement for the composer. I can't, though, imagine it to win. It does not have the Oscar caliber. I think the Academy has been propense to award RotK long before the nominees were announced. Honestly, these past three years were all about Howard Shore and whom else to nominate to make it a little bit more gripping although the winner has never been more obvious.

Now, give all the imaginable awards to Shore and please let's move on for Shore's sake.......!!!!!!!!!!!!! :|

I've only seen Finding Nemo once, and I've only heard RotK outside of the film, so I'm not going to vote. I do hope Shore gets it, though. Because I'm kinda biased when it comes to LotR. :P

- Marc

As long as it's not King

Even if it's the best option up there?

Yes, because the list for some reason shuns heavier hits that those four desperate aspirants. Where's "Secondhand Lions", did they hear it? Or "Gods and Generals" and Horner's "The Missing"...? I'm quite pushed to the corner. I could find a few scores deserving the Oscar not an inch less than RotK, but since they're not being given the nod, I can't but agree that RotK deserves to win. But what does it have to beat...? It's like Schwarzenegger in the ring with Danny DeVito ready to clash.

The composer had an enormous amount of time to refine every single theme of the LOTR to the best thinkable result, all coupled-up it gives more than four years to introduce the long-awaited conclusion to the saga to the public, but honestly, does the score resemble anything that has been pullulating for four full years?

Danny Elfman for his Big Fish

:P

At the risk of being pushy, since I have not heard the score or seen the movie, this is what I would like to see winning. We all know the Academy doesn't award the works themselves but the politics and history behind them. It's a factor in Elfman's favor.

As long as it's not King

Even if it's the best option up there?

Yes, because the list for some reason shuns heavier hits that those four desperate aspirants. Where's "Secondhand Lions", did they hear it?

OMG, Secondhand Lions what the f**k is wrong with this people in the Academy, Jebus Cries! A bunch of pimple faced nerds I bet. *sigh*

Big Fish, although I felt that the Matrix Revolutions should have at least been nominated and still seriously feel like Davis deserved an oscar for Neodammerung.

So that's the biggest travisty of the year.

But as for now, I want Elfman to get this soooo badly. I'm a little tired of Shore's hype and all the jabbering about LOTR. So many other movies deserved a nomination, and we cruely unnoticed. I mean honestly, this trilogy is one of the few movies Shore's delivered on, so what's the deal? :?

Although we may not all agree that Revolutions was the best score of the year, we can conclude that it was far superior to the likes of Finding Nemo, and even that infernal House of sand and Fog.

So get it right next time Academy!

I felt that the Matrix Revolutions should have at least been nominated and still seriously feel like Davis deserved an oscar for Neodammerung.

I think Reloaded should have been nominated. I prefer Mona Lisa Overdrive to Neodämmerung.

I'm a little tired of Shore's hype and all the jabbering about LOTR. So many other movies deserved a nomination, and we cruely unnoticed.

Reminds me of the general reaction to the usual John Williams nomination. :mrgreen:

I mean honestly, this trilogy is one of the few movies Shore's delivered on, so what's the deal? :?

The deal is that 1) the LOTR scores are excellent and 2) Shore has done plenty of other very good scores.

Marian - who should probably get more of them.

Cold Mountain!!! LOL I haven't seen Big Fish or House of Sand and Fog yet but of the other three I felt this score, especially the love theme, worked best in the film. Of course, it won't win. They'll probably give it to Elfman or Newman because both have done great work in the past but have never won the Oscar.

And if they didn't award Williams for any of his Star Wars sequel scores, I find it reprehensible that Shore should take home another statue, especially considering that I'm yet to be convinced that the score for The Return of the King is not the weakest of the three.

CYPHER

Danny Elfman has been snubbed way too many times. If he doesn't get it this time, he probably never will.

And rightfully, Elfman's music is just every where and kinda random. :mrgreen: It does have a few great moments, but bah.

Hey listen, none of these scores are classics anyway, I just go with Shore, a strong score at least.

This scenario is the same as I felt last year, and I know what follows will upset a lot of people.

Last year, I was rooting for JW, but would have been happy if Bernstein, Newman or Glass won. Their scores were wonderfully composed.

I did not like "Frida's" score because I expected more from Goldenthal. Thus I was upset he won.

This year, I don't want Elfman to win, simply based on the fact that I do not remember anything about the score. And I paid attention.

"Cold Mountain" was different for Yared, and a fine achievement, though the songs in the score provided a template for him. "Nemo's" score had moments, and we all know Disney's history in the Score category. Horner did good emotional work in "Sand and Fog," especially in the final 40 minutes, including some of his known bits from past scores to boot. I admired the way his score was used. And Howard Shore -- well, you can't beat it this year.

So my vote goes to "Return of the King." Though I'd be fine -- and shocked -- if Newman, Horner or Yared win. If Elfman wins, I'd be pretty mad. He's done much more memorable work in the past that wasn't honored. Of course, I could say the same for Goldenthal, yet he won last year.

Jeff -- who thinks Williams should present the award

Menken also has more Oscars than Williams doesn't he (if you also include those won for Best Original Song)? In which case Horner already has two from Titanic...

CYPHER

And rightfully, Elfman's music is just every where and kinda random.  It does have a few great moments, but bah.  

Hey listen, none of these scores are classics anyway, I just go with Shore, a strong score at least.

Wrong. Elfman's music for Big Fish was just right. I love Shore's music for The Return of the King and all, but he all ready won for The Fellowship of the Ring. Elfman deserves to win this time (he's deserved it many times anyway).

but he all ready won for The Fellowship of the Ring.  Elfman deserves to win this time (he's deserved it many times anyway).

That REALLY should not have anything to do with it, since the Academy is voting for best score of the year.

Likewise the opinion by someone here that Shore should not get 2 Oscars for LOTR because Williams only got one for the SW trilogy does not make sense.

Often me make to much of a fuss about these things.

If Shore wins an Oscar for ROTK it does not mean his music for those films is automatically better then what Williams did for SW just cause Williams only has one.

It simply means enough of the academy voters thought that Howard Shore wrote the best score in 2001 and 2003.

It really does not mean ANYTHING more.

Exactly. I mean who's counting LOL It's like comparing apples to oranges. different years, different movies. . . .Howard deserves what ever comes to him.

It really does not mean ANYTHING more.

It's so much easier to live in Theory World, isn't it Stefancos?

Do you think that if Tom Hanks did not have any Oscars prior to Saving Private Ryan, Roberto Benigni still would have won his Oscar? Do you think that if Russell Crowe had not won the year before for Gladiator, he still would've lost his A Beautiful Mind award? Do you think that if Full Monty had not been nominated for Best Picture, it still would have won the Award for best score? Do you think that if Nicole Kidman had not lost her Best Actress award for her much-hyped performance Moulin Rouge, she would have won Best Actress for The Hours, where she had an essentially supporting role?

Do you really believe that the Academy thinks the scores it awards are the best of the year? Or do you admit that they are really regarded as part of a context?

Well, you are right offcourse that in the real world these things are definatly an influence.

But i was referring more to the specific area of film scores were this kinda politics perhaps play a smaller role then the socalled "important" catagories.

I seem to remember Alan Menken winning several times in a row, does that make him better then Williams, who has never won 2 oscars in 2 years?

That kinda thing.

Offcourse the fact that Menken won anything at all....

Stefancos- :music:

Horner with a big grin on his face.

"I have 2 now, how many did you have again?"  :music:

3, if you counted the fictitous "from Jerry" Oscar among those 2 :)

(Titanic score, Titanic song)

Menken should have won an oscar for "Hunback of Notre Dame", now that's a classic gothic score (if you skip the 1 or 2 comedy songs).

"Sanctuary", anyone? (Also known as 'Menken's Requiem' :music: )

Menken should have won an oscar for "Hunback of Notre Dame", now that's a classic gothic score (if you skip the 1 or 2 comedy songs).

"Sanctuary", anyone? (Also known as 'Menken's Requiem'  :music: )

My favorite Menken score by far. I love most of the songs, and Sanctuary is IMO the best score track Manken has ever written, and one of the best tracks I've ever heard.

And I thought you would get it.

Calling me a sociopath is not funny, you twit.

The pshychiatric report was inconclusive i tell you.

Nice reply, Steef. Anyway, just to prove that I meant no ill, I'll explain that "sociopath" was one of the adjectives Neil used to describe you in the "Twins" goof. What better source for a non-insult?