Is Luke & Leia overlooked?

Pelzter

I don't exacly know why I think this... it just seems that when score enthusiasts talk about star wars, it's always the main title, og Vader's Theme, or maybe Across the Stars - but it never seems to be the gorgeus, delicate Luke & Leia...

--Pelzter, who thinks ROTJ is the best SW score.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke & Leia is beautiful. It really is. But there's a lot of other great stuff from the OT, so I can imagine it might be overlooked. I don't think it's used as often in the score itself as the Main Title or Vader's Theme either. But it's a really beautiful, sweeping theme.

- Marc

I love this theme. It may not be as popular as other themes, but it's as good as just about any of the other major themes and it's probably the best thing to come out of Return of the Jedi.

Neil

It a great theme, nice harmony. :) Overlooked? I dunno, how is any part of star wars overlooked. Perhaps it's not as famious as some of the other themes. ;)

I always thought it was kinda bland, but lately, I've been listening to Jedi a lot and it's pretty damn nice. Great piece of music. Very underused, though, BARELY used in the movie, really.

When Jedi came out, this was my favorite new theme. I remember playing that track, uh...."band" (LP terminology :)) a lot. I remember "interpreting" the theme as describing the Skywalker heritage, how Luke's relationship to Leia had matured with the knowledge of their relationship, and how the two were essentially having to fight their father, a former Jedi. I also found it to be very much like an adagio, reflective version of Luke's theme (aka the Star Wars theme).

All the new themes in Jedi are underused and only appear as underscore for dialogue scenes,not big musical moments,well except the Emperor's theme

K.M.

This may very well be my favourite John Williams theme, so it certainly isn't overlooked in my eyes! :) It's achingly beautiful, tender, considerate, heartfelt and more than a little bit tragic. Since it doesn't feature too often in the actual film, whenever I listen to it I always think of that parting scene between Luke and Leia in the Ewok village at night (itself beautifully scored too). I've always loved this scene and consider it one of the five or so 'emotional bedrock' scenes of the entire original trilogy.

So for me "Luke and Leia" is not just about a sibling relationship but as Eplicon says, the 'Skywalker heritage', especially the quieter, more emotional and more intimate side to it. There are other themes that evoke Jedi heroism, the power of the Force and the corruption of a once proud knight. But no other theme captures the upsetting domestic circumstances of Luke and Leia's birth and upbringing like this one - their separation, the absence of a father and the distance of a fey mother - "very beautiful ... gentle and kind - but sad."

CYPHER

I honestly cannot even here it in my head. I guess it must not be too memorable.

Guess I will have to give it a listen

Joe, chuckling thanks to Alans comment, wondering if Leia ever asked Luke, is that your light saber, or are you just happy to see me. :)

Back in 83, that was the one cue on the LP that got the most play. I found it to be a very tender theme for a brother and sister.

The lack of recognition may be due to the fact it's from the weakest film of the original trilogy.

It's a heartbreaking theme that speaks of thwarted incestuousness.

HEH HEH HEH! LOL

Yeah tragically Luke loses his lady. OH well ........ maybe he can get some other kind of scandalous sexual escapades going on.

Like maybe hooking up with some "jail bait" perhaps? 8O

Overlooked by who?

Because the L&L theme is completely underused in ROTJ, yet it has been recorded by Williams several times and released on BPO albums. So it doesn't seem that Williams has overlooked L&L despite its minimal role in the ROTJ score.

But then there is the "Han and Leia" theme which is used to great effect in ESB and loved by many Williams/Star Wars fans yet Williams has never recorded it outside of the films. For some reason, Williams has all but forgotten H&L. He even said in an interview when Ep2 came out how "Across The Stars" is the saga's first big love theme, or something to that effect. How could he forget "Han Solo and The Princess"?!

And I said nothing from Star Wars can really be said to be overlooked. :D

Thats what I mean, nothing from the Star Wars scores is overlooked here by us Williams fans. But lesser known themes like L&L are undeservedly overlooked by Williams and orchestras around the world.

I'll say it again,I like the cue "Brother and Sister" much much better than the concert version of Luke and Leia.It's one of the highlights of the score

K.M.

It's a heartbreaking theme that speaks of thwarted incestuousness.  

HEH HEH HEH!

Great. My fairly serious attempt to set a mournful tone, as befits this fine piece of music, is thoroughly and immediately undermined by some crass and inappropriate attempt at humour.

;)

I can dig it LOL.

CYPHER