Still want Indy IV?

NeejaHalycon

Now that it may finally happen, do you still want it?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• Oh Yeah! Now where did I put that fedora...
    • Heck No! It's been too long.

Frank Darabont says that he's finished the script for the fourth Indiana Jones. Granted, this doesn't mean a whole lot, but it's still the closest we've come to Indy IV.

Now, I'm sure many of us remember the classic Spock quote "Having is never so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting." I mean, will it really enrich the franchise, or can it only bring disappointment? All the principles are in completely different places than when the franchise first began:

1) Lucas seems to have lost his creativity.

2) Ford hasn't had a big hit in years.

3) Williams' work has taken a different route.

Finally:

4) Spielberg is much more mature and may have lost the fun tone that first distinguished the movies.

It could be that Indy IV is exactly what Lucas and Ford need, but Williams and Spielberg are probably happy with where they are.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it can be good. And I do expect a nice job from Williams. Williams has absolutely grown since his last Indy score, maybe not in the way some people wanted to, but he has. I just would love to hear a post-JP/post-TPM/post-HP written Indy score.

Believe it or not, I have very little interest in this project. Indiana Jones belongs to the 1980's. I love the movies and I'm satisfied with the three that we have.

Neil - who knows that Indiana Jones IV will be the first Indy film not to be released in 70mm :)

Well that's your opinion.

After License To Kill they stopped did not release a Bond film for 6 whole years. (longer then ever)

For me it's pretty much the same deal with Indiana Jones.

If Raiders just happens to have been made in 79, or TLC in 90 would you still feel the series belonged in the 80's, it's so artificial.

Besides, if Indy 4 turns out to be bad it won't chance the fact that Raiders is still one of the best films ever made.

Just look at the Superman films.

Never did, except, of course, for the soundtrack. I'm not a fan of the series. But the first one was cool. Raiders rulez! I'm a good boy.

----------------

Alex Cremers

After License To Kill they stopped did not release a Bond film for 6 whole years. (longer then ever)

That wasn't because of creative issues. It had everything to do with a lawsuit and is therefore a poor comparison.

For all intents and purposes, Last Crusade was the end of the series. All of the key members involved said as much, many times. This now seems like a mid-life crisis project, maybe trying to re-capture their youth. I don't have high hopes for it and I'd like the filmmakers to stay true to the spirit of Last Crusade (remember that awesome final shot?) and not continue with the series.

Neil

I bet it's going to rock.

I keep imagining this movie's going to be some dull thing where Indy's too old to run around and he just works with his brains and not his fists. But the more I look at the gags/trademarks all three have in them...I think Indy IV's going to save the summer from Ep III.

For one thing, you know the movie's going to start out with the Paramount logo fading into some sort of mountain that's part of the opening teaser. Secondly, you know the theme's going to be there (and probably a lot more than in LC, because it will have been 16 years since it's been in a new score by Williams for a Spielberg movie. (Not to mention I think Williams will be more thorough on this score, due to that fact, unlike what Spielberg said in the LC liners.) Thirdly, may be safe to say there's going to be a reference to Raiders somewhere, since ToD had the "Basket Game" spoof and LC had the picture of the Ark in the catecombs (not to mention Sallah and Brody were back). I'm not sure what kind of shape he's in, but Pat Roach just might show up in the thing, too.

I think Spielberg, Lucas, Ford, and Williams are all going to be excited to get back to Indiana Jones that it's going to be magic. It's been a while since Spielberg's directed Indy, it's been a while since Lucas wrote Indy, it's been a while since Ford's been Indy (Young Indy was a while ago, too), and it's been a while since JW's composed for Indy (but not necessarily conducted). I, myself, expect to be amazed/inspired by the Indiana Jones series again. The main guys who made Indy good in the first place are still in the game, and the new guy they've got working with them isn't half-bad, either. In fact, he's really good. There was a good combo to begin with, but adding Frank Darabont's the icing on the cake. Surely between Frank, Steven, George, and Frank 2, somebody should be able to figure out how to make this into a great movie and know what not to do to keep it from turning to crap. Heck...look at how long they've been working on it with even Darabont. They aren't throwing this together at the last minute. To me, this indicates much thought is being put into it.

But the person I really think it comes down to is Spielberg. His direction in the first three left you with the same feeling all his other movies do: WOW. And he's still doing that. I thought parts of Minority Report were fun action. If he's still capable of doing that as of two years ago, then I have faith that he can do it in Indy IV.

I think either we get a great movie or something to forget. Indy has such potential, and I think it's great that they are making a new movie.

Surely between Frank, Steven, George, and Frank 2, somebody should be able to figure out how to make this into a great movie and know what not to do to keep it from turning to crap.  Heck...look at how long they've been working on it with even Darabont.  They aren't throwing this together at the last minute.  To me, this indicates much thought is being put into it.  

The fact that they've taken this long to to get going concerns me.

Screw it, I say YES.

I concur completely with with the Lord said, this ain't gonna be a Lethal Weapon 4 kinda thing, they're being careful about this, it seems, which to me speaks volumes.

Bring on INDY IV! I can't wait. The trailer, seeing it for the first time, will be a religious experience for me. Here's hoping the score's top notch.

I don't think I'll watch the trailer before I saw the movie - I try to do this as much as I can. It's much more fun to watch a movie (esp. if you looked forward to it) of which you don't know anything than to watch one while you know half the story line already.

I don't mind teaser trailers of course.

4)  Spielberg is much more mature and may have lost the fun tone that first distinguished the movies.

I thought Catch Me If You Can was quite fun and lively...

Some of you act as if this isn't going to happen, yet the film is on the release schedule for next year, and the film is scheduled to start filming this summer.

Its not like it "might" happen.

I hope that Neil will be pleasantly surprised and enjoys it, but I know his faith in blockbuster style films is severely damaged, as is my own. I hope that the creators of this film will pay attention to what made the first two films critical successes, and avoid the mistakes that made the critic lash out at LC.

Indiana Jones is neat, he's basically an americanised australian outback man such as this guy.

This guys prefers a south african hat, however indy's hat was actually brought from an aussie tourist shop by the production designer!

BushTuckerMan.him.jpg

or this guy

chips%20rafferty%20in%20the%20overlanders.jpg

Indiana Jones is based in part on a real person named Wendell Jones, an archeologist. I met him once. He claims to know the true location of the Ark, and met with Spielberg and Kasdan and told them overr 3 days his life story.

I guess that's a lot like that time I met Jeff Skywalker and he told me that George Lucas, Bill Huyck, and Gloria Katz came to him, asking him to talk about his time in Tatouin, Tunisia, so they could go film there. He told about fighting stormtroopers during the war, too, and seeing Nazi officers that wore drab, gray, and tan uniforms, with tall black, polished boots.

I concur completely with with the Lord said, this ain't gonna be a Lethal Weapon 4 kinda thing, they're being careful about this, it seems, which to me speaks volumes.

I think Lethal Weapon 4 was a great film, hilarious and ecxiting, the funniest of the series.

i'm not too interested in the 4th volume. i'd like to have a listen to the score but as neil said, indy is just etched in my mind in the 80's. i really do think it's been too long

I think Lethal Weapon 4 was a great film, hilarious and ecxiting, the funniest of the series.

I've never seen 3, but I think the first two are either extremely dated or always sucked. Boring, uninvolving and I lost a lot of respect for Donner, for letting those absolutely terrible South African accents into a real movie.

I guess that's a lot like that time I met Jeff Skywalker and he told me that George Lucas, Bill Huyck, and Gloria Katz came to him, asking him to talk about his time in Tatouin, Tunisia, so they could go film there.  He told about fighting stormtroopers during the war, too, and seeing Nazi officers that wore drab, gray, and tan uniforms, with tall black, polished boots.

Very funny. But this guy is real. He always wears a hat, but it's a safari hat, not a fedora. He says he found the ark but "They" won't let him reveal it's location. He has a picture of himself and Spielberg on his piano.

Thirdly, may be safe to say there's going to be a reference to Raiders somewhere, since ToD had the "Basket Game" spoof and LC had the picture of the Ark in the catecombs (not to mention Sallah and Brody were back).  I'm not sure what kind of shape he's in, but Pat Roach just might show up in the thing, too.

Spielberg has already said many times that the "It's not the milleage, honey, it's the years" joke will be there.

I guess that's a lot like that time I met Jeff Skywalker and he told me that George Lucas, Bill Huyck, and Gloria Katz came to him, asking him to talk about his time in Tatouin, Tunisia, so they could go film there.  He told about fighting stormtroopers during the war, too, and seeing Nazi officers that wore drab, gray, and tan uniforms, with tall black, polished boots.

Very funny. But this guy is real. He always wears a hat, but it's a safari hat, not a fedora. He says he found the ark but "They" won't let him reveal it's location. He has a picture of himself and Spielberg on his piano.

Too bad he isn't mentioned once on the DVD set, and this is the very first time I've heard of him, depsite my years of fandom and it seems to contradict some of the stories told about the creation of the character. Any proof of this?

Neil

He is only a very limited inspiration for the character. And I have absolutely no proof of this that I can show you, but for my part- his stories, look, and picture with Spielberg was enough to convince me.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved LW4, I love all four of them, but it was obviously VERY hastily done. Gibson's even said that the script wasn't done when they were shooting it.

After LW4, it really makes you wonder what happened to Donner on Timeline. (I haven't seen it yet, but if I've heard people saying this is bad for Donner--and they're people who like Donner mostly like me--then I can safely assume it's bad).

Dan--who's eternally grateful he went to see Master and Commander with his friends last night instead of Timeline or You Got Served

Too bad he isn't mentioned once on the DVD set, and this is the very first time I've heard of him, depsite my years of fandom and it seems to contradict some of the stories told about the creation of the character. Any proof of this?

Neil

I always thought Indiana Jones came from the mind of George Lucas. He told Spielberg about it on the beach in Hawaii as Star Wars opened. The original name for the character was Indiana Smith, but Spielberg didn't like it, so it was changed to Jones.

But hey, I've never met the guy so who knows?

Well yeah, but the dude's getting old and who knows if he's going to be making many more movies--let alone good ones. Timeline was his first flick in 5 years. I'm a little concerned here...

I don't think he was ever such a great director. I think his only total success was Goonies, and that was very influenced by Spielberg. He almost had it with Ladyhawke, but he had one of the worst scores ever to counter the effect of the movie.

Although, come to think of it- I love Maverick. Hillarious, with a great score,