Williams' most heartbreaking cue?

Pelzter

The two cues which I in particular have trouble listening to, is The Death of Darth Vader and the gorgeous statement of the Force Theme when Luke burns Vader. Thougths on this?

--Pelzter.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AotC's finale? Come on, man.

I'd have to say it's a tossup between "ET is Alive" or "Saying Goodbye". I don't particularly like ET, but these scenes do make me tear up every now and then.

The film version of E.T. Is Dying and E.T. Is Alive. And probably some stuff from Schindler's List.

I was only too slow to type the exact same thing. Add some Empire of the Sun segments.

I like the sadness and touching quality of Sick Triceratops from Jurassic Park as well, but I really don't think it qualifies as William's most heartbreaking cue. It's nice, thoguh.

- Marc

The film version of E.T. Is Dying and E.T. Is Alive. And probably some stuff from Schindler's List.

I was only too slow to type the exact same thing. Add some Empire of the Sun segments.

But of course. I forgot Abandoned in the Woods, from A.I.

Of course "Saying Goodbye" from "ET." BUt there's another.

Just after Han is frozen in "Empire," the strings play a very sorrowful version of the love theme, with a shot of Leia looking sad. It's right when the Bespins drop the slab of carbonite and it makes that THUD! noise. Gets me choked up always.

Does "most tear-jerking cue" count too?

If so, I'd say that "Deadheading" does that. Actually, if I saw any of JW's epic movies in the theater (excluding HP and Jaws or JP), I'd cry. Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or Superman. There's just something about having your senses overwhelmed by something you grew up with and treasure that brings a tear to your eye. Exhilirating is what you call that.

Of course the finale from E.T., as well as 'E.T. is Dying' and 'E.T. is Alive,' as Marc said. I would have to add 'You Are the Pan' from Hook and 'The Reunion' from AI . If I'm in the right mood, these pieces can really cause me to well up.

Ray Barnsbury

Hmmm...

Carbonfreeze from Empire,The love theme when when Han is lowered into the carbonite.

E.T. is Dying(film version)

Goodbye(E.T.)The rising horn and string part

Monica's Theme/Stored Memories from A.I.

K.M.

i never get teary eyed. . .:)

I hear you cry when you do long division and have a remainder.

Neil - who cried when he first saw the opening titles to Superman - The Movie on the big screen on September 14, 2001.

Neil - who cried when he first saw the opening titles to Superman - The Movie on the big screen on September 14, 2001.

Noooo way.

Indeed. Even got choked up at a recent screening when Jonathan Kent died. Such beautiful imagery during the funeral.

Neil

The last form of entertainment which nearly brough be to tears was the Phantom of the Opera towards the end of the play. But the only thing Williams ever did which was completely depressing was Schindlers List. I have a really hard time watching it. It's such an incredable movie, but I really can't watch it out of enjoyment to often.

Rosewood look down-when the chorus cries "Please!" makes me sad.

Seven Years in Tibet

Born On the Fourth of July

Fawkes the Phoenix

what's that supposed to mean neil?

Watch the funeral scene from Superman. It's a beautiful scene. Anyone who has seen it should know what I'm talking about, with that beautiful pan of the countryside, with that wonderful music playing.

Neil

Watch the funeral scene from Superman. It's a beautiful scene. Anyone who has seen it should know what I'm talking about, with that beautiful pan of the countryside, with that wonderful music playing.

Neil

Watching that whole movie has become a heartbreaking experience for me nowadays. Cpnsidering what happened to its star. :cry:

Neil

Is the picture quality of the DVD transfer good enough to represent Superman's beautiful imagery?

I still don't have Supes on DVD. :oops:

----------------

Alex Cremers

Like Neil, I too got teary eyed when I saw Superman on the big screen last year. Simply a beautiful, emotional experience for me.

Anyway, I think Vader's Death is extremely heartbreaking, hearing that normally scary, ominous theme done in such a pitiful, sad, weak way, that's very affective.

Is the picture quality of the DVD transfer good enough to represent Superman's beautiful imagery?

Yes it is. It's looks stunning on DVD. Top notch picture transfer.

Too bad it has a ridiculous new 5.1 sound mix, that in most instances doesn't sound like the original film. It's also 8 minutes longer than the original cut.

Neil

I love the short thing in Minority Report, when they arrest Howard MArks and he says he wasn't gonna do anything, the music is really heartbreaking, and really the music identifies with him.

Does "heartbreaking" mean "sad"?

1) "How Can I Remember?" from Sabrina

2) Theme from Sabrina

3) "I Could Have Done More" from Schindler's List

4) Theme from Jurassic Park

5) Theme from Schindler's List

6) Theme from Angela's Ashes

7) "Change of Season" from Philosopher's Stone

8) "Look Down, Lord" from Rosewood

9) "Taking Pictures" from Stepmom

10) "Leaving Ingrid" from Seven Years in Tibet

Most heartbreaking cue ever done is Williams' arrangement of "Main Title" from The Color Purple from the Cinema Serenade album.

OK, I found one besides Arlington. On Schindler's List there's a recorder rendition of the Main Title Theme that is heartbreaking in the true sense of the word. Perhaps the only real heartbreaking cue in this thread.

----------------

Alex Cremers

OK, I found one besides Arlington. On Schindler's List there's a recorder rendition of the Main Title Theme that is heartbreaking in the true sense of the word. Perhaps the only real heartbreaking cue in this thread.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Maybe you have a tough heart.

Yes the Jonathan Kent funeral is indeed my first choice, a perfect representation of the audio/visual coupling. The elegiac trumpet solo as the camera pans, then we have the closing crescendo as the louma crane slowly rises to catch the full scope of the graveyard and church, I get teary-eyed just thinking about it!

The scene in Empire of the Sun where the Japanese air cadet flies his toy plane over to the camp by mistake, Williams employs a heart rending cello exemplifying the cadet's facial expression. Such beautiful scoring, and of course the salute prior to that scene just blows me away.

The single clarinet solo in ET as Elliot stands over the coffin stating "ET, I love you" is beautiful.

Williams opening titles from Born on the Fourth of July capture the emotion of the story in just 4 mins, sentimental yes but with delicate phrasing and poignant solos for oboe and trumpet so as not to be too melodramatic.

The reunion at the end of Sleepers always gets me, such a lovely theme on many different levels with bittersweet sentiment that he also employed to great effect in The Accidental Tourist.

Altough, I don't know the film very well, the Hester's Theme and Search for Robin cues from The Fury have some particularly heart-rending moments.

-Tim

Hmmm...

E.T. is Dying(film version)

Goodbye(E.T.)The rising horn and string part

Monica's Theme/Stored Memories from A.I.

K.M.

I'm with KM on the above three, but will add some more.

'Abandoned In The Woods' and epecially 'The Reunion' from 'A.I.', 'E.T. & Me' from the E.T. original album (I despise that it's not on the 1996 and 2002 releases), 'You Are The Pan' from Hook, the part when Toodles flies away in 'Hook', and lastly 'Immolation' and 'Aushwitz-Birkenau" from Schindler's List.

There are others, but I won't mention them because the others have nothing to do with the scenes they were filmed for (many times I haven't seen the movies yet), but rather how the music works on it's own and what I am imagining when I play them. Parts of 'Nixon', 'Jane Eyre', and 'Images' (having nothing to do with their usage in their movies) in particular have this effect on me in the theatre of my mind.

Trapped Lovers in the Towering Inferno, sadly you know those two will die horrific deaths.