And the Grammy goes to . . . . .

ST-321

Score Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," Howard Shore, composer.

Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: "A Mighty Wind," Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy and Michael McKean, songwriters, track from "A Mighty Wind."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad abou the score choice, but they're right on for the song! A Mighty Wind is easily the best song I've heard in a movie last year.

Writing, composing, directing, designing.

If you want my respect, at least in popular music, you'll have to at least write your own stuff. And once you do that, you have to be able to write good songs, so I have no respect for Madonna.

PLEASE. Singing IS a talent. Look at Maria Callas. Look at any famous Tenor or Soprano. . you are telling me that everyone can do that?

And about popular music. . sure many are dubbed. . .but wouldn't it be more prudent to say: "popular music artists today have less of a hand in their own music as great musicians did in other decades?" Instead you come out with "Singing is not a talent."

Come on. . .

I specificaly said that singing is not necessarily a talent. I meant it mostly towards contemporary popular music. Callas, Piaf, Pavarotti- that's a talent. I don't think what Beyonce and Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake and Britanny Spears and Christina Aguilira do is talent.

The way they're able to entertain 5, 10 or 100.000 people is most definitely a talent in my book. These people are very, very good in what they do. Maria Callas couldn't not do what Beyonce does and vice versa. Even if they don't write it, they help create it, which is a big accomplishment on its own. Just like Ford helped create Indiana Jones. It's most certainly called talent.

----------------

Alex Cremers

First of all, I think that except for a few exceptions a year, pop songs are totaly crap.

And Beyonce and Timberlake are certainly talented entertainers- I don't doubt that. Timberlake was very good on the grammys. But, about the music- I'll quote Hans Zimmer about Titanic (who quoted the L.A. Times about a Michael Bolton concert): "5 million people can be wrong".

It's a mystery to me why people like N'Sync and westlife and such, beyond the looks and the teenage girl dreams that he's singing to me, and me alone.

Beyonce HAS singing talent.

I disagree.

I didn't see her doing the SSB (I only caught like 5 minutes of the show). And I do think she is a great performer, but her singing is nothing special.

Morlock, it's not because you don't like it that it's not there. You even don't hear the difference in Beyonce and Aguilera! Just say it's just not your thing.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, her performance of the SSB was a rival to anything whitney houston has done. she's great and has singing talent. it's not her fault if some times the producers want crappy music out there.. and alex is right, i just think you don't like it because it isn't your 'thing'

Morlock, it's not because you don't like it that it's not there. You even don't hear the difference in Beyonce and Aguilera! Just say it's just not your thing.  

----------------

Alex Cremers

I do indeed hear the difference, and I think Beyonce is infinately better, but this goes back to that whole opinion discussion I've had several times before. See the Ridley Scott thread and HP storyline thread for further details. ;)

Morlock- who is signing off this topic :)

I personaly think Aguilera is a much better singer, her voice is way better. Her song Beautiful is terrific (not when she performed it last night, she butchered it then).

I personaly think Aguilera is a much better singer, her voice is way better. Her song Beautiful is terrific (not when she performed it last night, she butchered it then).

I personally feel that one is slutty, untalented anbd obnoxious. ;)

For the record:

Now that I've really thaught about it, I must apologise to Ms. Knowles- she is indeed a telented singer by my book. I made a mistake in putting her in the same group with Aguilira and Spears.

And for the record 2: I am not closed off to anything other than films scores, I have a wide range of music I love, and a large non-score CD collection (Mostly classic rock and heavy metal, but also a healthy share of other genres).

I HATE Christina's singing style. I admit she has a good voice and can really sing well, but it'd be nice if she let us hear that once in a while. I can't get past the constant wailing, growling, and abrupt octave changes. She sounds like a cat in heat most of the time.

Ray Barnsbury

I don't like so many things but does that automatically mean these things are made without talent? No, that means Maria Callas can't do Soul like Beyonce does. If fans of rap music say that Placido Domingo has no talent, is it because he has no talent or they just don't like it?

----------------

Alex Cremers

It's not my style but Aguilera's voice is impressive, but I feel she doesn't know what to do with it (and she never will, it's all in the head). The voice is most indisputably there but somehow she not really singing. I think it's quite painful to have to listen to the way she abuses it all the time.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Most songs from movies at Grammys do nothing for me. They always pick "pop" style crap.

Well ........ almost always.

A Mighty Wind is a great song.

Morlock- who loves all the Simpsons grammy jokes (especialy the disclaimer during The Mansion Family episode, which happened to guest star Britany Spears)

Howard Shore belongs with likes of Justin Timberlake and such...

Do you mean you want to see his nipple on television?

Neil

Jesus, no!

I meant to say the grammys were given due to popularity rather than quality.

I still feel Spears is a better singer than Aguilera. Neither is very impressive though.

It feels weird when you respect someone's opinion, and later they say something that goes the other way :)

Howard Shore belongs with likes of Justin Timberlake and such...

How dare you say that about such a talented composer!

Morn - Offended