John Williams Evening at Pops

Donnelly24

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, thanks for arranging everything Neil.  I didn't expect to get complimentary accomodations.  What a nice guy!  

Ray Barnsbury :(

Everything is coplimentary until you get the bill. :)

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

I got more info on the concert. This is from a press release just released online today!

BOSTON POPS ANNOUNCES PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS FOR SECOND WEEK OF 2004 SEASON, MAY 18-23 AT SYMPHONY HALL

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: Monday, May 3, 2004

JOHN WILLIAMS RETURNS TO SYMPHONY HALL TO LEAD "FILM NIGHT" AND "HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD!" PROGRAMS MAY 18, 19, 21, 22; PRINCIPAL POPS GUEST CONDUCTOR BRUCE HANGEN LEADS TUFTS NIGHT MAY 20 AND "BRIGHT LIGHTS, BROADWAY!" COLLABORATION WITH THE BOSTON CONSERVATORY MAY 23

Boston Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams returns to Symphony Hall for the second week of the Boston Pops' 2004 season, leading the orchestra in special movie music programs saluting the work of legendary film composers Bernard Herrmann and Henry Mancini, with vocalists Brian Stokes Mitchell and Monica Mancini - the late composer's daughter - and BPO Concertmaster Tamara Smirnova as soloists, May 18, 19, 21, and 22. Principal Pops Guest Conductor Bruce Hangen leads the 2004 Tufts University Night on May 20 (sold out) and a "Bright Lights, Broadway!" celebration of the Great American Songbook, featuring the talented young students of The Boston Conservatory Musical Theater Division, on May 23.

The 2004 Boston Pops season marks John Williams' 25th year with the orchestra, having led his first concerts with the orchestra as a guest conductor in 1979. The Boston Pops' second week of the 2004 season includes four concerts led by Mr. Williams, including a "Hooray for Hollywood" program of favorites from his own movie score work and the work of film composers Bernard Herrmann and Henry Mancini, on May 18, 19, 21, and 22 (all concerts at 8 p.m.). The orchestra's tribute to Mr. Herrmann starts with music from his early years in Hollywood, including selections from his scores to Citizen Kane, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and The Devil and Daniel Webster, and runs through his celebrated collaborations with Alfred Hitchcock, including music from Psycho, Vertigo, and North By Northwest. Boston Pops Concertmaster Tamara Smirnova joins her Boston Pops colleagues as soloist for these programs, performing music from the scores to Laura, Scent of a Woman, Far and Away, Schindler's List, and Fiddler on the Roof. The program ends with a salute to the work of Henry Mancini, including music from Peter Gunn, The Pink Panther, The Thornbirds, and Victor Victoria. Broadway legend Brian Stokes Mitchell and vocalist Monica Mancini - the composer's daughter - will be featured soloists in the May 22 concert, joining Mr. Williams and the orchestra in Mancini classics from The Days of Wine and Roses, Darling Lili, The Molly McGuires, and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

On May 20 at 8 p.m., Boston Pops Principal Pops Guest Conductor Bruce Hangen leads the Boston Pops Orchestra in Tufts University Night at the Pops. Boston Pops Concertmaster Tamara Smirnova will be featured as soloist for this concert, which also includes three Tufts student a cappella groups - the Amalgamates, the Beelzebubs, and the Jackson Jills - performing the school's "Dear Alma Mater" and "Tuftonia's Day." This concert is sold out.

Bruce Hangen returns to the Boston Pops podium on May 23 at 3 p.m., leading a "Bright Lights! Broadway!" Sunday matinee program, featuring students from The Boston Conservatory Musical Theater Division. This program features the Boston Conservatory's talented young voices performing selections from the Great White Way with Mr. Hangen and the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra, including favorites from Gypsy, Kismet, and Candide. Other highlights include a new Doug Besterman arrangement of "There's No Business Like Show Business," Three Dance Episodes from Bernstein's On the Town, and the Polovetsian Dances from Borodin's Prince Igor. The Boston Conservatory Musical Theater Division is directed by Neil Donohoe, with vocal coaching by Beth Heinberg and choreography by Michelle Chassé.

Wait, so is that the complete program for Friday night??? If so, it's extremely disappointing, from a Williams-music standpoint.

EDIT: Okay on second glance it seems like the parts it lists are the highlgihts involving Herrmann, Mancini, and the violinist. I would imagine there's more . . . any thoughts?

Ray Barnsbury

The Boston Pops' second week of the 2004 season includes four concerts led by Mr. Williams, including a "Hooray for Hollywood" program of favorites from his own movie score work and the work of film composers Bernard Herrmann and Henry Mancini, on May 18, 19, 21, and 22 (all concerts at 8 p.m.).

Could this be any more poorly worded? According to their own website and my ticket information the concerts I'm attending on the 21st and 22nd are 2 separate programs.

The 18th, 19th, and 21st are "Hooray for Hollywood" and the webpage has this to say, "Hollywood movie scores have the power to transport you to another time and place, and this concert will be no exception. Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams will conduct some of his latest film music as well as highlights from his renowned film scores" while the page for "Film Night at the Pops (the concert on the 22nd) says, "Maestro John Williams and special guest Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell bring you an unforgettable Film Night at the Pops with tributes to Henry Mancini, Audrey Hepburn, and Bernard Hermann."

Of course this wouldn't be the first time a press release concerning Williams ever got something wrong. Anyone remember the press release for the soundtrack to Minority Report?

Neil

Oh that's right, Friday is supposed to be all Williams . . . I'll trust that info, it's from their site. Where did this press release come from anyway?

Ray Barnsbury

I agree, the press release is very poorly written, but it was submitted by the Pops on their web site. Also, some tickets are still available for the May 22 concert. Last week I know the site said it was sold out, but I just bought a third ticket I needed in row E, section ORCH 8, seat 1. It's against the wall, but it's nice and close to the stage. So, if you need extra tickets there should be a few still available.

I have a contact at the BSO press office. I'll try to find out more specific info. I'm really looking forward to Schindler's List, if this is all true, but that's pretty much all....

I still can't find this press release anywhere on the BSO site. Where is it? And not to get prematurely angry, but I paid for tickets to an all-Williams concert Friday night . . . the other composers' music and singers were all supposedly on Saturday night, which should be good as well. I just hope it'll be that way, and that this press release is misguided information.

Ray Barnsbury-wavering on the edge of disappointment

It doesn't really matter to me, as long as I get to see Williams conduct a little bit of his own music Saturday night (I won't be there Friday).

I just got back from Boston, and luckily got to go on a free tour of Symphony Hall. Not really anything special that normal people wouldn't see, except we got to see the green room where the conductors hang out. The tour guide said not all conductors use the room; some prefer to hide out in the basement. He didn't know where Williams prepared for his concerts.

So we need to all arrange a place to meet to get autographs, pictures and whatnot from JW, as well as a group picture of all JWFan.net attendees. I leave it to Neil and/or Ren to get that done.

Jeff -- who got the chills when he stood on the Symphony Hall stage

When I met JW and got his autograph last year, I exited on the right from the hall (floor level) but instead of turning right towards the exit, I turned left where people line-up outside a door where JW comes out of. He was so nice to shake everyone's hand and sign our stuff. I hope he'll do the same this year. We should make some jwfan.net tags to wear with our screen name so we could recognize each other...

PS. I will be attending the concert on the 21st. I also expected the "Hooray" concerts to be Williams-only and was a bit disapointed by the press release. I was considering maybe getting some last minute tickets for the 22nd but from the info, it doesn't seem to be worth it. Why has JW become so fond of Hermann in the past year? If there's anything different about the 22nd, it will be less JW and more singing.

I'm glad they'll be playing Far and Away and Schindler's List but I would have liked stuff from Hook, SW, HP, 1941, as well as his Oscar arrangement. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a premiere of new HP and Terminal music as an encore. Plus, the Pops always play Stars and Stripes Forever in Boston.

Like I've said many times, it isn't the "Williams Show" its the "Boston Pops Show." They make everything for the orchestra...there arn't really any guesting conductors so they do have special things normally. Williams is a regular conductor of the orchestra so if the concerts he did were always his music, the locals/regulars wouldn't go anymore. I know of plenty of people in New England who are sick of All-Williams concerts who go to see the orchestra. The world doesn't revolve around Williams in Boston anymore, (though I still kinda wish it did).

But it's undeniable that they lied about the programs. This, as Neil posted, was the description of the 21's concert, which remained at the site until yesterday: "Hollywood movie scores have the power to transport you to another time and place, and this concert will be no exception. Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams will conduct some of his latest film music as well as highlights from his renowned film scores."

Now the site says: "Hollywood movie scores have the power to transport you to another time and place, and this concert will be no exception. Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams will conduct some of his latest film music as well as highlights from his renowned film scores, along with special tributes to composers Bernard Herrmann and Henry Mancini."

The fact that they alter the program two weeks prior to the concert to include other composers' music, which means less time for Williams music, when most people have already bought and received their tickets is just bullshit, and I'm definitely going to let them know.

Ray Barnsbury

They never set a program!!! They dont release program scheduales a head of time. They theme their concerts and then play around with what John and the orchestra would like to try. Also, they dont know who they have for guests yet. Some people are just never satisfied....

Did you read my post? They don't announce program details, but they clearly outlined what would be played when, which they are now changing. Perhaps you don't care what is played by your beloved Pops, but I paid to attend a concert featuring the Pops, Williams, and Williams music. Why should I be satisifed with this change of events?

Ray Barnsbury

no, i'm a little bummed too. i thought the programs were going to be different. i mean, i'm bringing a friend that has no clue about this stuff and she is going to be made to sit through two of the same concerts!?!?! not cool.

we really need to make a list of where we'll meet and what time and if we need to wear something like a pin. . .

Which nights are you going to? Friday and Saturday are two different programs. One is Hooray for Hollywood and the other is Film Night @ Pops.

i'm going to fri and sat. isn't that what neil and ray are going to? hasn't everyone been saying the dates are all the same? i'm confused, , ,i need to not be blonde.

i'm going to fri and sat. isn't that what neil and ray are going to?  hasn't everyone been saying the dates are all the same?  i'm confused, , ,i need to not be blonde.

I thought we had concluded that the Friday and Saturday programs are different, and this press release implies they are the same.

For Friday Night....Hollywood movie scores have the power to transport you to another time and place, and this concert will be no exception. Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams will conduct some of his latest film music as well as highlights from his renowned film scores, along with special tributes to composers Bernard Herrmann and Henry Mancini.

For Saturday Night....Maestro John Williams and special guest Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell bring you an unforgettable Film Night at the Pops with tributes to Henry Mancini, Audrey Hepburn, and Bernard Herrmann.

i read all that, but everyone including the release was saying the concerts were the same. i just don't know if i need to believe the release.

Well one night Tamara is the being featured on violin and the next night Brain Stokes Mitchel the special guest, so I'm gonna say they are different programs.

Make up your mind...call and ask for a refund, or shut up and enjoy the concert!

Oh, I'll enjoy the concert regardless. I'm just a little irked. And I agree with Ren, we should start getting organized for meeting and stuff. This'll be cool!

Ray Barnsbury

As far as I can tell, the differences are extremely minor. I think this is how it goes:

Hooray for Hollywood: Hermann, Williams, Mancini

Film Night: Hermann (same), Mancini (same), singing

Now I'm glad I didn't get May 22nd tickets. May 21st should be enough.

I'm in the same situation that someone on this board mentioned. I'm going with a friend who's never been to an orchestral concert before. An all-Williams program would have been more suitable for a first experience.

-Fox fan... who's still keeping his fingers crossed for more Williams music as encores!

Well one night Tamara is the being featured on violin and the next night Brain Stokes Mitchel the special guest, so I'm gonna say they are different programs.

Tamara Smirnova is always featured in the Boston Pops. She's the concertmistress (not sure if that's a word). They probably list Ms. Smirnova because they don't know what else to list. It's like these ads for a regular TV set when they write "remote control" as a special feature.

They probably list Tamara because they don't know what else to list.

I love Tamara...she's an incredable violinist and I'd rather have her solo instead of a guest artist. But I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing Mitchel sing, almost as much as I am looking forward to seeing John conduct. I've seen an all-Williams program and that was very cool! He didn't have the all-star guest artist like he does this time and it'll be interesting to see if his personality is different for a concert that is going to be a Evening at Pops special. Those of you who are going to both friday and saturday night shows, you'll have to compare Williams on one night and Williams on another, I wonder if there is much of a difference...

If you can't enjoy the program, better not to go.

Amen to that my friend!

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out, but so far I'm not that impressed with the line-up at this point. I was expecting 2 completely different concerts, since the descriptions were so totally different. Now suddenly they are eerily similar. I may not have bought tickets for both nights and taken off 2 days from work and flown up and gotten a hotel if I knew the nights were going to be the same concert. So right now, I'm reserving judgment.

I guess getting drunk with Ren and Ray will have to happen now to make it less of a disapointment. :P

Neil

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out, but so far I'm not that impressed with the line-up at this point. I was expecting 2 completely different concerts, since the descriptions were so totally different. Now suddenly they are eerily similar. I may not have bought tickets for both nights and taken off 2 days from work and flown up and gotten a hotel if I knew the nights were going to be the same concert. So right now, I'm reserving judgment.  

Exactly.

I guess getting drunk with Ren and Ray will have to happen now to make it less of a disapointment.

beerchug :P

Ray Barnsbury

I live in Boston, and will be attending the Tuesday and Saturday night concerts. I'll be in touch with Neil about possibly getting together afterwards.

are there any cheap but decent places to eat around the symphony?  we could meet there.

What kinds of food might you go for?

The Prudential Center is right across the street from Symphony Hall. They have a Cheesecake Factory and also a place called "The Marche", which is basically gourmet international a la carte. Not cheap, but not outlandishly pricey. Quincy Market is a bit of a walk, but has about a bajillion places to eat.

I guess getting drunk with Ren and Ray will have to happen now to make it less of a disapointment.

beerchug

Well now I'm glad I didn't have enough money to go. ;)

Justin -Wondering if they'll bring flash cards with things like lol, brb and btw on them. Not to mention printing out emoticons. :|

Haha, we just may. Otherwise we won't be able to understand one another. By the way, wasn't dislobolus going to contact his insider friend about the concerts?

Ray Barnsbury

Haha, we just may.  Otherwise we won't be able to understand one another.  By the way, wasn't dislobolus going to contact his insider friend about the concerts?

Ray Barnsbury

The insider friend is just the press rep for the BSO. I will have a chance to do that later this week.

(I'm going to try to find out the programs).

are there any cheap but decent places to eat around the symphony?  we could meet there.

There is an italian restaurant called Maggiano's literally across the street from your hotel. They serve huge portions and it is pretty cheap if people like to share. As well, you may want to try out the North End, where there are a ridiculous number of good random restaurants.

If any of you are fans of the now cancelled show "Boston Public", you might want to go to Doyle's. It's where the teachers went to hang out after school in the show. Their menu is online and is real cheap. It just seems far from Symphony Hall though.

http://www.doylescafe.com

This year I want to try out a few restaurants in Boston. At least I'll be staying 2 1/2 days this year. Last year I arrived in the morning and left in the evening after the concert (the border lady found it suspicious that I would take a round trip bus ride to Boston and only stayed a few hours). I only ate a McMuffin in the morning at McD's and a hotdog at the food court at Prudential before the concert. I couldn't really say I got the taste of Boston yet.

On another note, did anyone design tags to wear at Symphony Hall to recognize each other? Also, I think I already talked about this but I'll ask it again: Does anyone have "connections" to arrange a private meeting with John Williams on May 21st for all us jwfan.net members? Did it ever happen before?

Less than 9 days left before May 21!