John Williams Evening at Pops

Donnelly24

I thought Johnnyecks mentioned something about looking into a meeting, but nothing else was ever said.

He seemed very anry with the Aprils fools joke. Haven't heard from him since. :|

Neil

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Johnnyecks mentioned something about looking into a meeting, but nothing else was ever said.

He seemed very anry with the Aprils fools joke. Haven't heard from him since. :|

Neil

Well at the minimum I hope to chat with you guys at Symphony Hall. Unsure of how much time I will have available apart from that.

Exactly! The music is cool, and seeing Williams is really cool, but meeting people who so far are just text on a page is really f**king cool!

Neil

What Neil said! And hopefully we'll all be able to hang out at least a little bit. My schedule's free . . . LOL About johnnyecks, I certainly hope he didn't let that joke ruin the chances of getting a meeting together. None of us had anything to do with the prank!

Ray Barnsbury

He seemed very anry with the Aprils fools joke. Haven't heard from him since. :sleepy:

Neil

Hey guys...

I wasn't all **that** upset about the April fools joke, certainly not mad enough to stop working on getting us a private meeting. I've been incredibly busy with work a lot lately, and have had some personal problems recently that have taken up a lot of time as well.

About this meeting..........

I only told Ren and Neil about this because I didn't want to get a flood of pm's about how I was proceding, or with updates but I guess that since the cat's out of the bag, I'll post an update.

And it's not a good one.

I have spoken to the box office manager, the hall's manager, and have even gotten to leave messages on Williams' assistant's voicemail several times. No calls have been returned.

Now, if anyone remembers when I was able to set this up at his last Boston concert, I didn't get a call back until the day of the show so that may be a ray of shining hope but, as I explained on my messages to them, that I am a part of the world's biggest Williams fan club who would be attending the concerts in May and if it would be possible for us to get the chance to meet him personally, if only for a few moments. I explained that we have attendees who work in the music field (Ren...), in hopes that this would make us seem a little more less 'fanatic' of a mob of people.

No one has gotten back to me. I don't know if this is a good sign or not, like I said before last time she didn't call me until 3 hours before the show the last time.

Another snafu is that I will NOT be able to attend the show, and was forced to sell my tickets. The problem now, is that if I do get a phone call before the show, how am I to be able to conduct this meeting and set everything up.

I'm really frustrated here because I have been working on this for so long and trying many different angles of approach and nothing has came from it.

If it does happen, then that will be great and I would feel very happy for those in attendance, but if it dosen't I am very sorry. But I have tried everything I can. Unfortunately it now lies with them. The ball is in their court, so to speak.

I explained on my messages to them, that I am a part of the world's biggest Williams fan club who would be attending the concerts in May and if it would be possible for us to get the chance to meet him personally, if only for a few moments. I explained that we have attendees who work in the music field (Ren...), in hopes that this would make us seem a little more less 'fanatic' of a mob of people.

But I'm the moderator, dammit!!! I'm also a notary public for the state of New Jersey!!! What more credentials do they need? He should be asking to meet me!!!

Neil - :sleepy:

I explained on my messages to them, that I am a part of the world's biggest Williams fan club who would be attending the concerts in May and if it would be possible for us to get the chance to meet him personally, if only for a few moments. I explained that we have attendees who work in the music field (Ren...), in hopes that this would make us seem a little more less 'fanatic' of a mob of people.

But I'm the moderator, dammit!!! I'm also a notary public for the state of New Jersey!!! What more credentials do they need? He should be asking to meet me!!!

Neil - :sleepy:

I also mentioned that, and hopefull with your status as 'notary' I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed in!

LOL

But, rest assured, that I am keeping on top of this.

Why don't we try to schedule a meeting among the group in the meantime? If we dont'get the private meeting, at the very least I'd like to meet everyone before or after the show. Though after the show I'm going to be camped out waiting for a signature and a photograph.

Jeff -- who's bringing a JW newbie along

May I suggest that someone familiar with the area co-ordinate something? I have no idea where anything is in Boston.

Neil

Good idea, people unfamiliar with Boston would have no ideas of where to meet. And thanks for all your efforts, Johhny!

Ray Barnsbury

Reading some of the restaurant posts, there is a really great (albeit expensive) restuarant in the Elliot Hotel called "Clio" or something like that. My parents and I ate there after the Williams concert a few years back. Great food!

I am pleased to be the one to announce the programs for the John Williams concerts. Enjoy.

Obviously if you want to be pleasantly surprised, wait until you get to Symphony Hall to find out. Personally I find the programs rather disappointing compared to his 70th birthday concerts.

Hooray for Hollywood:

Hermann tribute:

Gallop the Whip (Curier and Ives suite)

Springfield Mountain Ballad (The Devil and Daniel Webster)

The Death Hunt (On Dangerous Ground)

The Inquirer (Citizen Kane) :dance:

Mancini tribute:

Moon River

Penny Whistle Jig (Molly McGuires)

Strings on Fire

Theme (Pink Panther)

Meggie's Theme (Thornbirds)

Finale (Victor/Victoria)

---

Tango (Scent of a Woman)

Theme (Laura Raskin)

Theme (Far and Away)

Selections from Fiddler on the Roof

Theme (Schinder's List) :)

(soloist Tamara Smirnova)

Harry Potter Suite:

Fawkes the Phoenix bowdown:happybday:

Nimbus 2000

Harry's Wondrous World :ola:

------------------------------------

Spring Pops:

The program will have similar Hermann and Mancini works. Soloists will be Brian Stokes Mitchell and Monica Mancini. It appears a lot more Mancini is planned for these concerts. Evening at Pops is taping the Monday concert.

well, that program isn't the greatest but it will be cool to hear it and watch him conduct. i'm bringing a jw newbie along too. i'm not that familiar with boston and i don't want to be held responsible for a crummy restaurant LOL i will be camping out for a jw meeting too. Johnnyecks you should get mine or neil's cell number to call us if you can't be there.

Any idea on what Saturday night will be? And I'm sure we can expect some JW music for an encore...does Mission Theme sound right....

Johnnyecks you should get mine or neil's cell number to call us if you can't be there.

Ren,

I was going to see if that would be an easier (if not only) way to let someone know if I hear about it on that day. Either you or Neil can email it, if you wish... johnpt@optonline.net and no worries, I won't prank anyone! :happybday:

Fawkes, HWW, and Far and Away (is it the suite, or the violin piece?) are almost enough to redeem this concert, and I guess hearing music from other composers that I haven't heard before should be nice. Oh well, it'll be a great experience regardless, and meeting people will be fun. Thanks a lot for the info, disk!

Ray Barnsbury

Fawkes, HWW, and Far and Away (is it the suite, or the violin piece?) are almost enough to redeem this concert, and I guess hearing music from other composers that I haven't heard before should be nice.  Oh well, it'll be a great experience regardless, and meeting people will be fun.  Thanks a lot for the info, disk!

Ray Barnsbury

Unsure of Far and Away, but remember Tamara is soloing, so i would guess the violin piece. Hopefully Williams will encore from his own. Some kind of march, probably... for 70th he did Raiders, and Imperial played in the same concert, so maybe Superman.

May I suggest that someone familiar with the area co-ordinate something? I have no idea where anything is in Boston.  

I know where most things are in Boston,

unfortunately I won't be in Boston. Wish I was. I would like to meet

all of you girls and guys.

Superman would be great . . . . perhaps PoA??? :D  

Ray Barnsbury

As an encore? I doubt it. Last time, Across the Stars was on the program, and it was new.

Well, the program seems not so bad. I'm sort of glad he's going to do "On Dangerous Ground" from Hermann. That was the piece with the metal sheets banging and the horns going crazy, right?

I'm looking forward to Far and Away and Schindler, but I hope they won't just play the main theme. I want to hear "Rememberances" too. Plus I never heard "Fiddler on the Roof" so it will be a good experience to hear his first Oscar-winning music for the first time.

The Harry Potter suite listed is exactly the same one as last year. This will be good news for the friend I'm bringing who absolutely wanted to hear Harry Potter. I just wish he could add Hedwig's Theme at the end and do new POA and Terminal music as an encore.

As for the place for us to gather, most of us are going on the 21st, right?

. I just wish he could add Hedwig's Theme at the end and do new POA and Terminal music as an encore.

?

Maybe it's because are no concert versions in PoA. :D

K.M.

Well, the program seems not so bad. I'm sort of glad he's going to do "On Dangerous Ground" from Hermann. That was the piece with the metal sheets banging and the horns going crazy, right?

I'm looking forward to Far and Away and Schindler, but I hope they won't just play the main theme. I want to hear "Rememberances" too. Plus I never heard "Fiddler on the Roof" so it will be a good experience to hear his first Oscar-winning music for the first time.

The Harry Potter suite listed is exactly the same one as last year. This will be good news for the friend I'm bringing who absolutely wanted to hear Harry Potter. I just wish he could add Hedwig's Theme at the end and do new POA and Terminal music as an encore.

As for the place for us to gather, most of us are going on the 21st, right?

Unfortunately it will only be the main theme for Schindler's. And yes, we are praying for a POA encore, but at this point it seems unlikely, at least to me.

I got chills when I saw that "Harry's Wondrous World" and "Nimbus 2000" will be played. Two of my favorite JW tracks ever.

I'm glad we're not getting a 100% JW concert. It'll be nice to get to know some of Herrmann's music, and Mancini's as well. And to hear Brian Stokes Mitchell, who has an incredible voice.

Plus, just to be in the same building as John Williams will be exciting.

Jeff

I got chills when I saw that "Harry's Wondrous World" and "Nimbus 2000" will be played. Two of my favorite JW tracks ever.

I'm glad we're not getting a 100% JW concert. It'll be nice to get to know some of Herrmann's music, and Mancini's as well. And to hear Brian Stokes Mitchell, who has an incredible voice.

Plus, just to be in the same building as John Williams will be exciting.

Jeff

Ah, Finally someone agrees 100% with me!

What if anything will people be bringing to be autographed? If I had one I would bring a Williams photograph, so at this point I'm considering the program, or HPSS or A.I. CD covers.

Finale (Victor/Victoria)  

this alone will be worth the price of the ticket.

What if anything will people be bringing to be autographed? If I had one I would bring a Williams photograph, so at this point I'm considering the program, or HPSS or A.I. CD covers.

I'm bringing my CD-R of PoA to be signed ;) No, I'll be bringing several CD covers, not sure which ones yet. I have Greatest Hits (what was I thinking?!) and E.T 20th Anniversary signed so far, so maybe more of his Oscar scores? Harry Potter? Far and Away, a personal favorite? We'll see I guess.

Ray Barnsbury

I'll be bringing the soundtrack discs of E.T. 20th and Schindler's List from the Collector sets to get signed. I have both CDs twice so I can prevent the signed ones from being used.

I'm thinking of maybe getting American Journey signed, just to show that he's more than just a film composer, as uninformed people tend to call him.

Interesting info about the concerts on the main page.

Ray Barnsbury

Nice, we get film clips this time.

Lets hope...they were talking about the Evening at Pops concert which will be on Monday evening. They are entitled the same program, but lets hope that they are the exact same thing.

I don't care for film clips at concerts. They usually distract from hearing hte music live, which is why I go to concerts.

Neil

I don't care for film clips at concerts.  They usually distract from hearing hte music live, which is why I go to concerts.

Neil

What John did last year for his Evening at Pops show was VERY cool. He did that step by step process of composing and fitting it to film clips. That was a really cool way to use film clips with an orchestra. But what they do at Tanglewood is have like parts of a movie going and the orchestra plays along...I wouldn't really like that as much as using a film clip as a tool or part of the performance...

What John did last year for his Evening at Pops show was VERY cool.  He did that step by step process of composing and fitting it to film clips.   That was a really cool way to use film clips with an orchestra.

Yes, I saw that in Washington. It was cool. It was only in the middle of E.T. later that evening did I realize I was focusing more on the visuals and not the music.

Neil

The music-to-film demonstration is interesting for the technical aspect of the scoring process. Since not everyone has the luxury of being in the recording stage with Williams, this is probably as close as one will get. I liked how he explained the "spotting" process and what musical approach he would use. The two examples he seems to use the most is the opening of Indy III and the end of E.T. This sort of thing is more enjoyable than hearing a medley of themes to stills from the movies. (I guess not everyone is familiar with the music that the movie comes from and vice versa.)

Reading this thread kinda makes me wish that I was going to these concerts since it seems like it's going to be one of the bigger (biggest?) gatherings from everyone here. Hindsight might be 20/20, but the expense is too great. The travel and lodging expense that is. :) I'll have to be content seeing him next year in DC. He's scheduled to do another Q&A session after the first night's show (4/28/2005) along with Gil Shaham.

Sorry you won't be there, Eplicon.

So, where's the place to line up to meet the Man? Being new to Boston Symphony Hall I don't want to miss the fun. Is it outside his dressing room? Outside the exit? Next to his car? Outside his hotel room? I can be anywhere.

Jeff -- becoming a stalker

Sorry you won't be there, Eplicon.

So, where's the place to line up to meet the Man? Being new to Boston Symphony Hall I don't want to miss the fun. Is it outside his dressing room? Outside the exit? Next to his car? Outside his hotel room? I can be anywhere.

Jeff -- becoming a stalker

This info is probably important for everyone going. I've seen Williams appear in two locations:

The first is outside Symphony Hall prior to the concert, at the performer's entrance which is located on the right side of the building with respect to the entrance. It's basically on the corner of the street. This is also where I've seen him dropped off and picked up.

The second is inside, at the entrance to what I think is the green room. Regardless of whether you've been to this hall before, you'll realize there are two wings on either side of the hall. The side to be is again the right side, as far forward as possible, that is, the wing that is to the right of the stage from the audience's point of view. If he appears after the concert, this is the spot.

I will likely be at both these locations before and after the concerts. Hope to see you there!