John Williams Evening at Pops

Donnelly24

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys should get wireless mics to communicate. ;)

"The package is moving! Go go go!"

Justin

:D

On a different note - how do you actually address John Williams? Sir? Maestro? I have no idea what I'm going to say when I blubber to ask for his autograph and photo.

how do you actually address John Williams? Sir? Maestro? I have no idea what I'm going to say when I blubber to ask for his autograph and photo.

"John Williams, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your daughter... 's wedding... on the day of your daughter's wedding. And I hope their first child be a masculine child. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty."

Neil

how do you actually address John Williams? Sir? Maestro? I have no idea what I'm going to say when I blubber to ask for his autograph and photo.

"John Williams, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your daughter... 's wedding... on the day of your daughter's wedding. And I hope their first child be a masculine child. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty."

Neil

:D

Yes, but the question stands.

I would say Mr. Williams.  It's formal but not too weird, like yelling "Maestro, come back!!!"

Ray Barnsbury

Yeah, that is probably the safest course.

For the encore, I was thinking about shouting "For God's sake, Buckbeak's Flight!"

Oh, I managed to get a ticket for tonight. So I have to figure out which CD cover I want to bring. Do you think it's too inappropriate to get his autograph before the concert and then also after the concert?

LOL. i think bringing multiple things to sign is ok. just don't jinx it for the rest of us.

by the way. is this the biggest jwfan meeting?????

For the encore, I was thinking about shouting "For God's sake, Buckbeak's Flight!"  

If I hear it now, I'll know it's you . . . unless we did all communicate with wireless mics during the concert and coordinated a mass 'yell-out.' LOL

Ray Barnsbury

If I hear it now, I'll know it's you . . . unless we did all communicate with wireless mics during the concert and coordinated a mass 'yell-out.' LOL

Ray Barnsbury

That would be cool.

Last year I told him: "Mr. Williams I came all the way from Montreal to see you. It's such an honor to meet someone who will be remembered historically as another Beethoven". He was flattered and said "Thank you. That's very kind." and he signed my Star Wars CD.

Last year I told him: "Mr. Williams I came all the way from Montreal to see you. It's such an honor to meet someone who will be remembered historically as another Beethoven". He was flattered and said "Thank you. That's very kind." and he signed my Star Wars CD.

Now I'm debating between having him sign the CDs or the CD covers.... advice?

Covers of course.  Getting the discs signed could potentially damage them.

Neil

You're probably right. I've used Sharpies on CDR's though, and it's fine. But I suppose CD covers are easier to display.

If you get CDs signed, you obviously don't want to play it again, and secondly, you might be lucky enough to get his fingerprints on it. What a deal, eh?

I want to have the discs themselves of Schindler's List (the one included with the DVD set with actual artwork on the CD) and E.T. 20th.

I had bought both of these CDs before the DVDs and ended up with duplicates. Therefore, I can keep them without damaging them or having to play them. For American Journey I want to have the cover signed next to the eagle.

Covers of course.  Getting the discs signed could potentially damage them.

Neil

How,I always write stuff on cdr's and it doesn't seem to damage them.

K.M.Who's RotK c.d. is signed on the disk and the cover

Just got back from tonight's. Just have to say it was amazing, music was just fantastic. He signed A.I. and HPSS for me, and I have really clear photos of us shaking hands. Will post a more detailed update soon.

WOW!!! Congratulations, I'm so thrilled you were able to do that. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the concert and the meeting. Can you post the pictures too?

Ray Barnsbury

It just occured to me that the digital camera requires a cable that I don't have; hence, photos will not be up until Saturday.

Let me summarize this experience by first saying that the program I posted before is relatively accurate, but omits a few pieces in the Hermann and Mancini tributes. It's not worth poring over right now to figure out which ones weren't listed.

I was also correct in my descriptions of where Williams can be found before and after the concert. I waited outside on the sidewalk starting around 7:00, and he arrived in his Lincoln around 7:30. The car pulls right up to the entrance (there is a maroon covering over the door) and his driver will open his door, and then carry in his suit. There were four guys already waiting with Star Wars posters and stuff. Williams was incredibly nice and signed all the autographs we asked for. I was able to get both A.I. and HPSS signed in gold (I used a metallic Sharpie, but there seemed to be problems to get the ink to show up right at the beginning of the signature).

However, I recommend waiting until the end of the concert to get autographs and photo ops. I did this as well, and waited outside the stage entrance for about twenty minutes with John Takis and his friend. Employees kept telling us that Williams would come out, and were very nice about it. When he did come out, I had rehearsed what I was going to say about fifty times in the minutes leading up to his arrival. He was very polite about it and thanked me (What I said will remain just for me.) John Takis was awesome and used my camera to take photos of me shaking hands with Williams, who was really nice and let him take multiple shots especially after my flash didn't work the first time. Aside from me, Takis, and his friend, there were only a few other people waiting by the door. Be warned because I expect this number to be a lot larger Friday and Saturday. If you guys actually want to converse and get photographs with Williams, this is the time to do it, since he's not in a rush to go anywhere.

For the actual concert, it was pretty amazing. The Harry Potter stuff was incredible, as were all of Tamara's solos. A great surprise was the Tango, which I had no idea was

the tango. Schindler's was pretty good. He did two encores, which were not terribly unexpected. He did both two years ago. Don't highlight if you want the encore to remain, well, a surprise. They were <<the Raider's March and the E.T. Flying theme>>. Very nice to hear them, although I really was hoping for Buckbeak's theme.

All in all, this was the most personal experience of my life, it was unbelievable getting to speak with and meet Williams; although i will be there friday and saturday I don't think I'll attempt for more autographs, since tonight was so satisfying, but I really hope I'll have a chance to chat with everyone going.

John Takis: It was great meeting you and your friend (I forgot his name three times while we were waiting, and I've forgotten it again; i'm horrible with names) and many thanks for taking the photos.

Was "Stars and Stripes Forever" also performed as an encore after the two pieces you mentioned? It's always fun to hear with JW "conducting" the audience's clapping.

Also, do they usually play the same encores on every night of each program or do they change at every concert? Is he saving a BIG surprise encore for Friday?

P.S. In the "unlisted" tributes, was Psycho part of it? It was listed in the press release but not in the program. He still did play "On Dangerous Ground", right? I'm looking forward to that piece.

I can't wait until Friday!!!

Man, disk, I got chills reading your post . . . the good kind, of course. It's just so cool hearing about people's encounters with Williams. Congrats again, this will be an experience you will never forget, and in case you do, you have pictures. :music: I cannot wait for Friday!!! Although now I'm obsessively worrying about what to say should we be so fortunate as to meet him.

Ray Barnsbury

now I'm obsessively worrying about what to say should we be so fortunate as to meet him.

Just go with the flow.

Neil

Man, disk, I got chills reading your post . . . the good kind, of course.  It's just so cool hearing about people's encounters with Williams.  Congrats again, this will be an experience you will never forget, and in case you do, you have pictures. :mrgreen:  I cannot wait for Friday!!!  Although now I'm obsessively worrying about what to say should we be so fortunate as to meet him.

Ray Barnsbury

Yeah up to the second before we met, I was frantically trying to rehearse it, but when he came out it just fell apart.

I can say without a doubt that meeting Williams last night has not only instilled a new respect and awe of the man, but my love of his music has increased fifty-fold.

Just go with the flow.  

In that case it will be mindless stammering. :mrgreen:

Ray Barnsbury-who has already spoken to Williams coherently

I never spoke to him, but I caught a glimpse of him that no one else in the world did. That was the most treasured moment of my Tanglewood concert.

Sounds REALLY!!!!!!!!!!! cool...I can't wait for saturday when I go up...should be a GREAT experience...it'll be my third Williams concert but each time i've seen him it's been a different style program. Great summary disk...I dont think I'd be able to write about an experience like that...to me, words could NEVER equal that kind of experience.

now I'm obsessively worrying about what to say should we be so fortunate as to meet him.

Just go with the flow.

Neil

I know what I would say.

"Aaahhh...aaaawww...arggg...bwaaaghh...eeehhhh...."thump!( sound of Stefancos passing out and hitting the floor.)

I know what I would say.

"Aaahhh...aaaawww...arggg...bwaaaghh...eeehhhh...."thump!( sound of Stefancos passing out and hitting the floor.)

I have a fear of passing out, too.

I'll trade any JW autographed c.d. for a Return of the King autographed c.d..For anyone interested...

K.M.

... ROTFLMAO

The respect I have for John Williams is untouchable.

-Diskobolus, who 24 hours ago got his first John Williams autograph

I clarified my sentence...I guess you got it the other way around.I'm adressing big LotR fans who just happened to bring 2 c.d.'s at the Williams concert.I'm serious,I doubt I'll ever meet JW.

K.M.

I'll trade away my autographed Return of the King c.d. for any JW autographed c.d.For anyone interested...

K.M.

I already have the entire LOTR soundtrack trilogy box signed by Howard Shore. ROTFLMAO

Why don't you go to Boston to have your favorite JW CD signed yourself?

I might seriously consider it next year,before he's too old to do concerts.But even if you go,aren't the chances of actually getting his autograph rather slim?

K.M.

I got one last year. The other guy got one yesterday. Is there anyone who ever got turned down in Boston? I'm a bit afraid he won't sign stuff on Friday since he'll be so tired of being at a ceremony in NYC, flying back to Boston, rehearsing, and conducting a big concert.

I know one place he doesn't give any autographs is Tanglewood, since there are too many people.

-Gotta go to sleep. I have to wake up again in 3 hours to catch my bus to Boston. I hope there are some public internet terminals over there so I can keep in touch with this forum before the concert on Friday.

Disk..... great report on the concert! I wish I could've been there!! I hate to make this short, but I am on my way out the door and on my way to M.A! But, not to see Williams. <sigh>. We're celebrating my aunts 89th birthday and will be in Sturbridge during the concerts, which is why I had to sell my tickets and not go myself. I'm really disapointed because I'm sure the concerts are going to be great.

The reason I'm posting, however, is to report some news to everyone who is going to Boston. Mostly bad news. Since you've read my posts recently, and read what Neil wrote about me possibly getting you guys in for a private meeting. Well I hadn't gotten any word. Since I am about to leave, I figured I would try again and... well... basically, I was told that he was not going to have any private meetings. BUT... he WILL come out after to show to sign autographs and take pictures. They didn't give me a reason why he won't, but at least it is confirmed that he will come out to sign.

Sorry to report this. I really wished I was able to get you in for a private meet and greet.

Regardless, have a great time and enjoy the concert. You're gonna love it. I wish I was able to be there with all of you, there are a lot of people I would love to meet in person!

Take care, and have fun.

Thanks for trying, Johnny. That's more than we could have asked for.

And we have confirmation that he's going to sign autographs!! In the immortal words of Jake Lloyd: YIPEEEEEEE!

Jeff -- still deciding on what to wear Saturday night

he WILL come out after to show to sign autographs and take pictures. They didn't give me a reason why he won't, but at least it is confirmed that he will come out to sign.  

I can't believe we have confirmation of this, that's awesome. Many thanks, Johhny!!! One question, I would think that cameras are not allowed in for concerts, but everyone always talks about taking pics with Williams afterwards, so . . . ???

Ray Barnsbury

he WILL come out after to show to sign autographs and take pictures. They didn't give me a reason why he won't, but at least it is confirmed that he will come out to sign.  

I can't believe we have confirmation of this, that's awesome. Many thanks, Johhny!!! One question, I would think that cameras are not allowed in for concerts, but everyone always talks about taking pics with Williams afterwards, so . . . ???

Ray Barnsbury

Flash photography during the concert is bad. However, when you're meeting Williams you can take as many photos as you want.

So by the lack of public coordination here, I assume we will simply meet ad hoc tomorrow?

I got one last year. The other guy got one yesterday. Is there anyone who ever got turned down in Boston? I'm a bit afraid he won't sign stuff on Friday since he'll be so tired of being at a ceremony in NYC, flying back to Boston, rehearsing, and conducting a big concert.  

I know one place he doesn't give any autographs is Tanglewood, since there are too many people.

No, he does at Tanglewood - that's where I met him for the first time and got him to autograph an original ANH LP cover.

Okay so we're allowed to bring cameras to the concert, good. And we should definitely meet before the concert, before we stake out Williams' entrance. Also, are we all going to convene after the concert to go get autographs and pics, or is everyone just going to rush to where he'll be, kind of an every-man (and Ren)-for himself?

Ray Barnsbury

Okay so we're allowed to bring cameras to the concert, good.  And we should definitely meet before the concert, before we stake out Williams' entrance.  Also, are we all going to convene after the concert to go get autographs and pics, or is everyone just going to rush to where he'll be, kind of an every-man (and Ren)-for himself?

Ray Barnsbury

I plan to get a couple more autographs beforehand, but will not hold up the queue afterwards except be there when Neil arranges to have the group photo of us with Williams.

I'd like to think we'd all be together chatting and having a good time and meeting Williams and getting pictures. Diskobolus, since you're so familiar with the place tell us where and when you want us to meet you. Keep in mind for many of us, this will be our first time to Symphony Hall.

Neil

I'd like to think we'd all be together chatting and having a good time and meeting Williams and getting pictures.  Diskobolus, since you're so familiar with the place tell us where and when you want us to meet you.  Keep in mind for many of us, this will be our first time to Symphony Hall.

Neil

Are you aiming for before the concert or after? After the concert we all most definitely will be going to the green room entrance that is at the rear of the wing to the right of the stage. The entrance is up a few steps so you'll know it when you see it. This is a great place to meet afterwards since the crowd is mostly thin and this is where Williams will appear. I will be there as soon as I can after the concert.

Prior to the concert will probably be more difficult to meet up, since some of us are getting there at different times. I'm showing up with friends who have never heard of this message board, and I don't want to abandon them. However, my plan is to be at the arrivals entrance on the corner before 7:20, as Williams arrived around 7:25 last time. If you guys will be there I won't have any trouble recognizing you. Remember also that at most Williams will sign a few autographs before entering the building, so the best time for photos and talking is after the concert. Hopefully we can do our group photos then as well.

One of my recent posts has some extra details about these locations and how to recognize them.

Well, it is less than 24 hours that some of the most known members of the board will actually be meeting face to face. A real live JWFan chat. I cant wait to meet all of you and I feel lucky to be a part of this get-together. I always feel left out when other people get to meet each other.

See you soon with pictures!