John Williams Evening at Pops

Donnelly24

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a thought, in 48 hours it will probably all be over.

Ray Barnsbury

But you will have memories, photographs, and autographs to show for it.

from left to right - and let's put the pic in the offical thread..

Ren, Trumpeteer, Foxfan, Ricardo??, Neil, John Takis, Ray B., Diskobolus (i do remember how to say it!!!)

Sorry, sorry! Stupid me. The last post was foxfan's when I started posting - I had a printer crisis here at work and got dragged away. Then when I finally posted Ren had already listed the names. Sorry! But I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't recognize everybody already.

I loved reading everyone's stories - it sounds like it was wonderful! What a great time!

SeekUYoda - jealous and wishing July 18 would hurry up and get here.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I met up with you guys. If you looked up to the FAR end of the right balcony you might have seen me, I had a REALLY bright red shirt on and was w/ about 45 other high school kids. I couldn't even break away for 5 minutes.

Hey, nice picture! It?s Ricardo, from Chicago. Just got back from Boston a few hours ago. This was the 6th and 7th time seeing John Williams live in concert but it was my first trip to Boston. I had seen John conduct the Chicago Symphony in the previous times.

The two concerts I attended were great! (May 21, 22) I thought John Williams made some excellent choice selections from both Hermann?s and Mancini?s catalogs. I also enjoyed seeing Brian Stokes Mitchell who was fantastic in the Broadway musical ?Ragtime?.

It was really nice meeting up with the group! You guys made the pilgrimage much, much more enjoyable!

I?m gonna try to see the Grand Rapids Symphony on July 22nd. Last year, I saw the Racine (WI) Symphony Orchestra do a Williams concert last year and I must say that it turned out to be a fantastic show!

Thanks for welcoming me (on this board and in Boston)!

I actually attended all three 2003 Chicago concerts and enjoyed them all. The 2nd and 3rd concerts featured the same program and leaned more toward the classical side of Williams with his horn concerto and other concert pieces. The 1st concert however was an all out pops concert. For the 1st concert, as you entered the concert hall, they had people dressed up in authentic Star Wars costumes (Darth Vader, Storm Troopers, etc.) That was really cool to see! People were allowed to take pictures with the characters. Too bad I didn?t bring a camera! All three concerts strictly featured the music of John Williams (no other composers).

At the first concert, John actually did the Superman march. This was a big thrill for me as that is probably my favorite Williams piece and we all know how he rarely performs it. I could go on and on about the concerts but there have already been reviews posted on this site. Of course, should there be questions, I will be glad to answer them.

As for the horn concerto, I really can?t say too much, as I?m not that big on serious classical music. And this piece is a serious piece. True, it is lyrical, but it is also modernistic and atmospheric. For me, it was pleasant but it?s the film music side of Williams that I want to hear most. There was a good article on the horn concerto featured in FilmScoreMonthly.

Because the 2nd and 3rd concerts were more on the classical side and featured the premier of John?s horn concerto, they actually had pre-concert discussions. I attended one of these discussions. John discussed the horn concerto and answered questions regarding the art of film composing. We are all familiar with the cerebral way that John talks during interviews but I found it really neat to see John live in person talk so intelligently.

One last thing about my attendance of the concerts: Orchestra Hall, where the concerts took place, has seats to the side and in back of the orchestra. For the 1st and 3rd concert, I sat on the main floor, but for the 2nd concert, I sat behind the orchestra, allowing me to see John face-to-face conduct the orchestra.

Ricardo

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I met up with you guys.  If you looked up to the FAR end of the right balcony you might have seen me, I had a REALLY bright red shirt on and was w/ about 45 other high school kids.  I couldn't even break away for 5 minutes.

You might have seen me outside before the concert begging for a ticket to get in.

It reminds me of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, all these iconic faces, superimposed to seem like they're all in the same place. :mrgreen::wave:

Here is one of the pictures from May 22.

may22_1.jpg

I don't believe that. Ai's picture a couple of months ago looked more realistic.

:mrgreen:

What?

I missed that photo! It's awesome!!

Jeff -- honored to be included in Ray's party

PS -- I was one of the people Focfan peddled to get a ticket. I didn't remember it until the next day.

I missed that photo! It's awesome!!

Jeff -- honored to be included in Ray's party

PS -- I was one of the people Focfan peddled to get a ticket. I didn't remember it until the next day.

That guy apparently knows how to sweet talk really well. He had a messy sign that made me think of hobos trying to get you to drive them from Boston to Austin. Except he got a free ORCH ticket.

Well, damn.

Ray Barnsbury-who apparently looks 40 in that old pic (???)

Yep. You can see why we were confused before we met you.

That guy apparently knows how to sweet talk really well.  

Did I mention I'm also a salesman for Best Buy?

He had a messy sign that made me think of hobos trying to get you to drive them from Boston to Austin. Except he got a free ORCH ticket.  

I'll try to take and post a digital picture of that sign (if my dad didn't throw it out).

D'OH!!!

I just got home to learn that my dad BURNED by "need one ticket for tonight" sign! :cry:

D'OH!!!

I just got home to learn that my dad BURNED by "need one ticket for tonight" sign! :cry:

He must have really hated that sign.

Neil