John Williams Evening at Pops

Donnelly24

Well it's official sports fan: Renovia and one of her wacky pals, "Ray" and I will be staying at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel. We went to Priceline and William Shatner was able to get us a pretty good deal to stay in Boston. We picked a 3-star hotel for $100 a night in the theater district and that's what came up. This is going to be fun!

Neil

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's official sports fan:  Renovia and one of her wacky pals,  "Ray" and I will be staying at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel.  We went to Priceline and William Shatner was able to get us a pretty good deal to stay in Boston.  We picked a 3-star hotel for $100 a night in the theater district and that's what came up.  This is going to be fun!

Neil

I know where that is. It's a really nice area.

Cool! I was afraid you were going to tell me it burnt down last night or that it's a roach motel and it burnt down last night.

Neil

Boston, here I come!!!!! Yes, the "Ray" from Neil's post above is me, and I'll be attending the May 21 and 22 concerts, as well as staying with Ren and Neil (we're all sharing a hotel room with a single bed for maximum savings). I'm so excited! Now if after all it took for me to be able to come, they don't play PoA . . . ;)

Ray Barnsbury ;)

Does anyone remember what the difference was between the 70th birthday concerts? I'm sitting here trying to convince myself the Friday and Saturday concerts will have different programs.

Does anyone remember what the difference was between the 70th birthday concerts? I'm sitting here trying to convince myself the Friday and Saturday concerts will have different programs.

Aren't they totally different? Friday night is "Hooray for Hollywood" while Saturday night is "Spring Pops with John Williams" and even has an extra soloist.

Neil

Ok, today i got in the mail the Boston Pops brochure for the spring season and they have a little description of each concert. For Hooray for Hollywood..."Hollywood movie scores have the power to transport you to another time adn place, and this concert is no exception. Pops Laureate Condcutor John Williams condcuts some of his latest film music as well as highlights from his renowned film scores." The brochure calls the saturday concert "Film Night" "Maestro John Williams and special guest Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell bring you an unforgettable Film Night at the Pops with tributes to Henry Mancini, Audrey Hepburn, and Bernard Hermann." So I am guessing, based on the who descriptions above, that friday and saturday will DEFENITLY have different programs.

He'll defenitly open and have his music in the encores...thats normally a guaruntee...but im REALLY looking forward to hearing Brian sing...he has an INCREDABLE voice and I'm glad that he is the guest. O yea, and Tamara is listed as a soloist so she'll probably do Schindlers List (my prediction). And Jeff, y u pissed?

So Friday is exclusively Williams music? Great! Too bad that's not the second night, for a better finish. Plus, I have a slightly better seat for the Saturday one.

Ray Barnsbury

Oh boy, if they play Schindler's List we'll get to hear the "dead composer" anecdote again! :roll:

Memo to John: You need new material!

Neil

Well what's tough for him is that he can't always play just his music...and when he does, he has to make sure its very popular stuff not non jwfanatics would recognize...so when it is an all-williams program or something similar to that, he has to do stuff the average pops fan would recognize, and not a bunch of stuff that they would never recognize, but we would. Whats tough about seeing him in Boston is that he isn't a guest conductor, so he doesn't get to really pick and chose what he wants to do so much.

Oh boy, if they play Schindler's List we'll get to hear the "dead composer" anecdote again!  

Memo to John: You need new material!  

Seriously! We'll probably get The Mission Theme as an encore, and hear that clever little joke about bringing the news to us since we'll miss the real thing. It was amusing the first time, Mr. Williams!

Ray Barnsbury

If he plays E.T., I'm sure we'll hear him say the words "E.T." and "liitle friend" or "little friends" at some point. Don't take this the wrong way John, we still love you, it's just your gags have whiskers on them. :mrgreen:

Neil

I'm just pissed because I will miss the JW showcase on Friday and hear JW conduct only a few of his best stuff on Saturday. Oh well. As long as I get to see him.

Jeff -- not as pissed as he was earlier

Just letting you all know that I, too, am going to the concert. I sort of know my way around Boston, so if you need any food ideas or anything, you can ask me. I know I'll be saying hi to Ren since we kind of already planned to do so, but I would love to see everybody else too!

Just letting you all know that I, too, am going to the concert.  I sort of know my way around Boston, so if you need any food ideas or anything, you can ask me.  I know I'll be saying hi to Ren since we kind of already planned to do so, but I would love to see everybody else too!

I've never seen you before. How do I know you're not a cyber stalker? I should call the FBI.

Just letting you all know that I, too, am going to the concert.  I sort of know my way around Boston, so if you need any food ideas or anything, you can ask me.  I know I'll be saying hi to Ren since we kind of already planned to do so, but I would love to see everybody else too!

See you there, Mr. Bad. ;)

Neil

Us Connecticutians aren't too bad, it's those Rhode Islanders you have to watch out for! It's like a wart on Mass's back or something! :-P Just kidding, I actually think Rhode Island is a beautiful state.

Is there anyone here with connections that could arrange a backstage meeting with John Williams in Boston for all the fans on this forum who will be in attendance? I think it would be a great idea to do this on the 21st since that is when most of us will be attending. It would give us an opportunity of a lifetime to chat with the greatest composer that has ever walked the earth, and for us to get pictures and get stuff signed as well.

Wooooooooooo, never mess w/ RI... us New Englanders gotta stick together! Foxfan, maybe in a few years, my clarinet teachers daughter will probably end up as a viola player in the BSO...I would like to know a way to meet the conduct...as anyone here met a performer or conductor @ symphony hall before (diskobolus would probably know...)

Did anyone get tickets to Tanglewood yet?

I'm not sure if I'll be able to ditch my job like last year (I'm always scheduled to work weekends during the summer). Plus the concerts I want to attend are spread out over a week.

I might pick up tickets to that My Fair Lady thing later...but Tanglewood drives me insane...i can NEVER decide what concerts to go to and it always seems like the ones i wanna go to are right near each other, and we wont stay over night because it is pretty close to home.....but if i do go, I'll just get some lawn seats and by them last minute

• 1 month later...
Any chance we will be seeing the goatee return?

Stefancos- who digged Neil's "Supreme Prince Of Darkness And evil" look. (no political comment)

I don't know. Up keep is a lot easier without it and it's easier to get on an airplane without it, too. Plus, no one in my family liked it on me. I kind of liked it though. We'll see.

Neil

WOOOOOHOOOOO, BOSTON!!!!  Everyone who's going should post pics of themselves so we know who to look for.  I recently posted mine in the member photo thread.

Ray Barnsbury

If you care to meet me, just look for a skinny asian guy who looks like he's an MIT student. That'll be me.

Here's a picture of my sister and me at yesterday's Phillies game.  I'm the one with the facial hair.

Neil

I've been meaning to ask you this, Neil. If you're a guy, why do you have a girl as your avatar?

Also, I went over to that "post your photo" thread but most photos aren't there (as if they've been deleted). Why is that?

WOOOOOHOOOOO, BOSTON!!!!  Everyone who's going should post pics of themselves so we know who to look for.  I recently posted mine in the member photo thread.

Ray Barnsbury

If you care to meet me, just look for a skinny asian guy who looks like he's an MIT student. That'll be me.

Would you happen to be William Hung (from American Idol) by any chance? Your description is a perfect match.

If you're a guy, why do you have a girl as your avatar?

If you're a person, why do you have a picture of a CD case as your avatar?

Neil

Would you happen to be William Hung (from American Idol) by any chance? Your description is a perfect match.

Damn, I hope not. I can't stand that kid.

Oh I see, so you don't want to meet anyone else, well that's FINE BY ME!!!!

Ray Barnsbury :)

Ray Barnsbury

Not so much. That description fits many at MIT, actually.

Damn, I hope not. I can't stand that kid.

Oh I see, so you don't want to meet anyone else, well that's FINE BY ME!!!!

Ray Barnsbury :(

Actually I'm looking forward to it a lot. :) I just don't have a picture of myself online.

Concerts immediately follow final exams, so it will be quite nice.