• L.A. Confidential (1997)
    • Air Force One (1997)
    • Mulan (1998)
    • The Mummy (1999)
    • The Hollow Man (2000)
    • The Sum of All Fears (2002)
    • Timeline (2003)
    • any other Star Trek score
    • Peio, dumb, why didn't you include The Sand Pebbles (1966)?
    • oh, man, you forgot his best, A Patch of Blue (1965)
    • Nothing can beat his masterpiece Mr. Baseball (1992)
    • Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! (1993)
    • Peio, you have no idea of Goldsmith, the best is not in the list :(

A complete list would be endless, therefore i decided to include his most important works... or at least some of them....

Vote for the best! ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't decide. You can understand by trying to vote for Williams best score.

OK, don't vote, but tell us what your favorite scores are ;)

Mine are: Planet of the Apes, Patton, L.A. Confidential, Poltergeist, The Boys from Brazil and Congo.

Star Trek - The Motion Picture  

Neil

change the Neil to Joe.

close 2nd's are Twilight Zone, the Movie, Alien, Poltergeist,

hidden jems are Psycho 2, and Capricorn One.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm by no means a Goldsmith connoisseur (though just looking at those scores up there I'm starting to wish I owned a few more of his albums). So my not particularly well-versed selection of his best scores are:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Patton, Mulan, The Mummy and Outland (or maybe it's Capricorn One - I've heard both but can't remember which is which :oops: ).

CYPHER

Poltergeist.The long cue They Know What Scares You/Rebirth is surely a highlight of film score history.Plus is' a rare all orchestral score bu Goldsmith(unless there's synths I don't remember)

Close:Stae Trek TMP and The Final Conflict.

K.M.

The Mummy, I think is one of the bestest scores, for sure.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was my first soundtrack, and it's the score that should have won Golsmith's threeo Oscars he should have, the third one: Basic Instinct.

First Knight I love because, more importantly is great music, the other is that in this one Jerry did not use any other kind of sound that wasn't made by the traditional orchestra.

The Blue Max stands as one of the highlights in his illustrious career. Also, my personal fave is A Patch of Blue, simply put, glorious.

Other highlights;

Chinatown, The Wind and The Lion, Lionheart, Masada, The Final Conflict, Poltergiest, Psycho II, The Boys From Brazil, Patton and of course

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

In fact if that were the only score that Mr. Goldsmith had ever composed, I would still consider him one of the great composers of our time.

Here's my long list:

The Omen, Poltergeist, Damien: Omen II, Star Trek: TMP, Alien, Planet of the Apes, Outland, Mephisto Waltz, Coma, Great Train Robbery, Capricorn One, Chinatown, parts of Twilight Zone: The Movie. These are hands-down his best, for me (although I haven't heard every single thing he's done yet). I prefer his 1970s work the best ;)

Quoth the King of Marks

Poltergeist.The long cue They Know What Scares You/Rebirth is surely a highlight of film score history.Plus is' a rare all orchestral score bu Goldsmith(unless there's synths I don't remember)  

Spielberg got the best out of him. I voted for that one too. That cue still freaks people out. I saw it in a big Loews in Fenway and all the teens and college students were laughing nervously, like they always do when they see any effective filmmaking. Compared to Scream its like the Sistine Chapel.

Of the scores I've heard the full scores to I would say his top 5 are:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Patton

The Wind and The Lion

Mulan

Total Recall

Note I've not heard the full scores to many of his earlier scores.

Justin -Who needs to get more Goldsmith.

I can't believe that Goldsmith's best year (1985) is absent from the list (except for Legend, which is included, but wrongly listed as a 1986 score).

Jerry Goldsmith's scores in 1985 (one of the best years in film music history, BTW):

(Wonderful)- Rambo: First Blood Part II (Absolute Masterpiece)
    - Explorers (Brilliant!)
    - King Solomon's Mines (Fantastic!)
    - Legend (Excellent, but not as good as Rambo, Explorers or KSM)

Jerry Goldsmith's best score?

Are we talking about "Outside the movie" ? or "How it works within the film itself"?

I ask, because there is a huge difference.

Are we talking about "Outside the movie" ? or "How it works within the film itself"?

A compendium of both factors or whatever. It's your decission. What's more important for you? :)

Didn't we just have this type of thread a couple of weeks ago?

Morlock- who likes Goldsmith alot more now that he's seen the film masters doc, which is the best film music doc ever IMO.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0341354/

That's the imdb page. It has very little info, though.

It's a documentry about Jerry Goldsmith, about 70 minutes long, where he and his collaborators/ family members talk about him and his scores. It was recorded mostly during the recording sessions of The River Wild, and includes some insight into the technical aspects of film music composition. It even has footage of his accepting his oscar. He talks about The Omen, Basic Instinct, a few of his Schaffner films, a bunch about The River Wild and about his love of electronics and percussionists

So in short, I can't accurately describe it. But if you like Goldsmith, or film music in general it's a great thing to have. (like the BBC Williams-ESB doc, which I also just got)

If you really want to work out a trade, PM or email me- jporath1@netvision.net.il

Good choices, Nick, thouh First Contact is a bit outclassed here.

Even if you really like First Contact, it's not a full Jerry Goldsmith score, and the Joel sections really stand out to me. I noticed this in the theater the first time I saw the film (first show, opening day), only later to find out Jerry didn't write the whole thing.

Neil

Even if you really like First Contact, it's not a full Jerry Goldsmith score, and the Joel sections really stand out to me.  I noticed this in the theater the first time I saw the film (first show, opening day), only later to find out Jerry didn't write the whole thing.

I think Joel's cues stand out as fine orchestral music. Infact all the cues I think are the best are by Joel. Except for like the theme and stuf. :thumbup:

Justin

What's Jerry and what's Joel on the FC cd? also- what are some of the favorite cues? I just got it, but I don't seem to find any of the good parts more than once (I never remember where they are).

What's Jerry and what's Joel on the FC cd? also- what are some of the favorite cues? I just got it, but I don't seem to find any of the good parts more than once (I never remember where they are).

The OST CD very clearly indicates who wrote what.

• 5 months later...

In the meantime, i have added several titles to my list: Damien, Outland, Lionheart, Masada, A Patch of Blue, 2 Days in the Valley, Night Crossing, The Ghost and the Darkness...

thanks for all this music, maestro

In the meantime, i have added several titles to my list: Damien, Outland, Lionheart, Masada, A Patch of Blue, 2 Days in the Valley, Night Crossing, The Ghost and the Darkness...

Of those I still need Outland, A Patch of Blue and 2 Days in the Valley.

Since one single favourite doesn't do Goldsmith justice, here's a list of what I guess are my favourites:

The Blue Max
    • The Omen
    • Damien - Omen II
    • The Final Conflict
    • The Great Train Robbery
    • Alien
    • Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek: Insurrection
    • Night Crossing
    • Legend
    • Poltergeist
    • Rambo: First Blood Part 2
    • Lionheart
    • Total Recall
    • Gremlins 2
    • First Knight
    • Fierce Creatures
    • Rudy
    • Fireworks
        But of course there are other ones which are great, but I can't list his entire discography in a favourites thread. :)
        Incidentally, what were Goldsmith's own favourites of his works? Total Recall, Powder and Islands in the Stream seem to be among them.
        Marian - :(
        :music: Rudy Suite (LSO & Jerry Goldsmith, 2001)

Damien Omen, Final Conflict, Star Trek TMP, Theme for The Edge.... I would rather vote favorite cues, since there are interesting things all over his works. The Omen trilogy really blow my mind, it's so energetic and organic and he does so many interesting things in strings and choir. I love the unique 'noises' and weird sounds and instruments he incorporates as signature for each score. It's a nice touch. In the documentary Morlock mentions they say it was an insiders joke among Goldsmiths musicians that if during rehearsals some worker made a noise outside the studio, Goldsmith would call him in and make the noise part of the score :music:

I don't know very well many full scores by Goldsmith, but from the ones I do know, I love Mulan, The Omen and Planet of the Apes (which is a very recent taste, since I used to hate that score). But my vote went for Mulan.