Jerry Goldsmith will not be conducting next week.

From the Barbican website.

http://www.barbican.org.uk/generic/details...eName=classical

PLEASE NOTE THAT JERRY GOLDSMITH IS UNFORTUNATELY NO LONGER ABLE TO CONDUCT THIS CONCERT. THE CONCERT WILL NOW BE CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSE.

A short message will be read from Jerry Goldsmith during the Concert.

This is the second time this has happened to me, and it was a major reason I did not go last year, when he was also reported of having health problems.

This just sucks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to the Barbican box office earlier today, and they confirmed this. Jerry Goldsmith is very ill and unable to travel to London. He's very disappointed not to be able to conduct the LSO, but he will send a message to the audience (although the Barbican were not sure how).

Very disappointing news to wake up to. Get well soon Jerry!

This is a terrible shame, like many other fellow enthusiasts I was really looking forward to this. Ah well, too late to cancel my flights now! Let's hope Dirk does Jerry's tempos justice!?

-Tim ;)

I just got a call from someone from the Barbican telling me that Jerry Goldsmith is ill and being replaced by somebody else.

It's pretty decent of them that they are contacting people who have bought tickets to let them know about this.

Even people who do not live in England.

I'm sorry for those who are going, but I'm happy that my plans had to be cancelled. I saved money on the plane tickets, made a profit on selling the tickets, and had a fantastic time at my brother's wedding events (which are still going on this week).

I wouldn't have paid all those hundreds of dollars for a concert not even conducted by the composer.

That sucks! The most important thing now is that Mr. Goldsmith gets better.

Yes, i do feel for Jerry, and it's certainly important that he gets better. But it also does'nt mean that those who are let down by this, have to brush our feelings aside and ignore the fallout (which those who were not attending anyway, have been quick to preach). I was quick enough to get refunds for my ticket, hotel booking, bus tickets etc, after waking up to this news on the internet this morning (they never phoned me). By going to the concert, i was going to be taking two days unpaid leave off work. So it would of been quite an extravagant payout altogether in total. Now i consider myself very lucky that i saw Jerry at the Barbican last year.

I'm sure it will still be a good night. Afterall, it's the LSO performing Jerry's music live, and i'm sure Dirk will do well. But i know myself. After watching Jerry conduct last year, i knew that I would not feel so happy on the night knowing that something very essential to the orchestra, isn't present to conduct his own music. Namely, Mr Goldsmith. Plus, i was hoping for this to be a joint landmark celebration with Jerry, as i'm turning 30, three days after the event itself. I cannot deny that dissapointment.

So rather than go with a heavy heart. I arranged refunds. Considering the rumours a few weeks ago, where Dirk claimed at a concert,that he was going to conduct on the 17th due to Jerry's ill health. I suspect 'somebody' has known about this very real possibility for some time. The Barbican denied this rumour when i phoned them the other week. So either they were keeping quiet to prevent mass cancellations, or they were simply in the dark just as much as everyone else. I suspect it was Jerry himself who was hoping to deny the seriousness of his illness, as he desperately wanted to be there. It is indeed courageous and shows resilience for Jerry to keep fighting to make the night. I admire that for sure. But at the same time, i cannot help but wonder if it may have been better if he had cancelled the event much earlier on, or perhaps delayed the concert till later in the year if the situation was so uncertain?. That way, many people would have had much more choice in the matter. I can now use the money saved, for something else in the future, rather than go grudgingly. Jerry really must be in a bad way, for him not to be able to attend something he wants to. It's a bad "Omen" indeed, and it still does concerns me for sure. icon_neutral.gif

Btw, i was going to be sitting next to Stefan (J62) in Seat (J63) smile.gif

I definatly agree with Melange here, i think we have been taken for a ride by the people who are organizing this concert.

I'll go to this concert, and i'm sure i'll have a nice time, but this will be the last time i will book for a Goldsmith concert abroad, since he has proven unreliable in keeping his commitments, and I'm not rich enough to take a gamble that Jerry might be well enough to possible conduct a concert this year.

I'm expecting Jerry to live plenty of more productive years still.

I dunno,it sounds serious for him to be incapacitated.Probably not the just the Flu.Lets hope he recovers.

K.M.

I was quick enough to get refunds for my ticket, hotel booking, bus tickets etc, after waking up to this news on the internet this morning.

Eh, but why you still get to see a concert with Goldsmith's music. I mean, you'd likely pay to just stare at his face for 2 hours. :P

Anyway, did you say very ill? :) What does that mean?

Morn, you gotta be kidding me.

If you would have bought ticket for a Williams concert in Boston, saved money for a flight to the USA and a hotel, and a few days before the concert you were told that John Williams has been taken ill and the concert will be conducted by John Mauceri instead, would you just say "Oh well, it's still John Williams music".

John Mauceri is a very good conductor, with vast exoerience in conducting film music in concerts, but he's not the guy you wanted to see, the guy you saved money for.

The same applies here, Dirk Brosse is by all accounts a very good conductor with a large amount of experience in conducting film music, and i'm sure he'll do justice to Jerry Goldsmith's music.

But there is something about seeing someone who's work you admire, in the flesh, in front of you, conducting one of the greatest orchestra's in the world.

If you can't understand this then I pity you indeed.

As for the report of Goldsmith being very ill, it simply means that the reprts that he's in perfect health are completely false, and that he's been struggling with health problems for a few years now (i think he's cancelled more concerts that he actually attended).

Yeah, but I mean it's a very big deal to see such music performed live too, that I find it odd that you'd go to the trouble of cancelling.... Live music is the ultimate sound quality and I'm surprised that since you rightfully care so much to see Goldsmith in person that you don't care a lot to see his music live as well.

I care, but this trip will cost me a few hundred Euro's, for that money i would rather see Jerry Goldsmith then Dirk Brosse conducting this music.

But you don't understand that, since you have soooo much money, right?

Yeah, but I mean it's a very big deal to see such music performed live too

That is true Morn. But the way i decided to view this situation yesterday was - "If i'd heard last year that there was going to be a concert of Jerry Goldsmith's music, conducted by someone else, then would i still of taken 2 days unpaid leave off work, booked hotels, buses, and bought the concert ticket?" (and in total, that was a lot of money).

Considering i was lucky enough to attend the Barbican concert in London with Jerry actually conducting them last year, i decided that the answer to my question was honestly "No". As amazing as it is to hear his music live, you just cannot substitute the music being conducted under the personal ear and baton of the creator of that music, himself. I still understand why others are going still though. Some are viewing Tuesday's concert from a 'homage' perspective, and that is wonderful if you have the time and money to spare.

I fully support them and hope they give the Orchestra, Dirk, and Jerry, a celebratory cheer. Fact is, I dont really have the time and money to spare, now that the initial conductor has pulled out. For all i know, he may conduct later in the year or something and i could use the money saved, for that. We cannot know. If i'd not heard Jerry conduct last year at the Barbican, then i may have attended tuesday's concert nonetheless, because i would not have heard his music live before.

That is true Morn. But the way i decided to view this situation yesterday was - "If i'd heard last year that there was going to be a concert of Jerry Goldsmith's music, conducted by someone else, then would i still of taken 2 days unpaid leave off work, booked hotels, buses, and bought the concert ticket?" (and in total, that was a lot of money).

I agree with this 100%

Stefancos- who will use Melange's empty seat to put up his bagpack. :)

I just really hope that nothing of this sort will happen next february with the Williams concerts.

I hope not for all our sakes,he's recording Ep.3 at the same time

K.M.

This dosen't sound good to me at all. I hope he feels better! I know he's getting up there in age, and the inevitable isn't all that far off but.. are we ready to lose one of the 'big guys'?

I feel bad that you guys who are going to the concert won't get to see him. Hopefully he'll feel better, and tour again to make up for it. But, I'm just hoping he feels better for now. What comes after that, will come after that.

I just really hope that nothing of this sort will happen next february with the Williams concerts.

I hope not for all our sakes,he's recording Ep.3 at the same time

Maybe the concerts are the recording sessions. ;)

Justin

The same thing happened with Elmer Bernstein at the film music concert of the Film Festival of Gent three years ago. He wasn't sick though, he didn't dare to travel by plane because of 11/9, although that concert didn't take place in september...

Dirk Brossé conducted splendidly though. I'm sure he can pull it off - hopefully, for you guys - although his conducting of 'Concerning Hobbits' two years ago I found a bit slow altogether.