Final musical moments of AOTC

Greggeth

Anyone have any ideas as to why the final moments of AOTC credits were changed from what JW had composed and included on the CD?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The music for the end credits of The Empire Strikes Back wasn't long enough, so the Imperial March was lengthened. There, no new track was tracked in, instead the existing music was lengthened.

~Harry

Because "George Lucas has his head up his a$$."

A direct quote from Joseph Williams speaking of the fact that Lucas didn't like what his dad originaly wrote for the celebration scene in The Phantom Menace...in that case...Joe wrote something new...sequenced it and went to London to record it. John wrote some of the horn stuff on top of what Joe wrote. It's my guess that Joe wrote the source "futuristic blues" cue in the 50's diner scene in AOTC.

Although Williams is always very cordial, I KNOW that he will be very upset at the butchering of his score for AOTC. He'll never say anything about it though. It's really too bad for us as well...I'm sure his original scoring for it was much more fluid, crafty and correct. I myself was REALLY surprised by the amount of edits and substitutions that were in extremely poor taste.

-Eric

My friend that went with me to AOTC didn't want to sit thought the end credits so I didn't get to hear the film version. :music:

Justin -Who thinks this is a great excuse to go see it again! :music:

My friend that went with me to AOTC didn't want to sit thought the end credits so I didn't get to hear the film version.

Obviously your friend is not a music lover.

Neil - who always sits through the end credits to hear the music

If Lucas has done that than his an... um, better not say.

Hector - who also sits through the end credits unless the idiots from the local theater don't play them (many times they just shut the projector)

As a projectionist, I don't think it's the law. I've never heard that. That being said, we put cues on the film to turn off the projector after the credits have run. I put it on about 4 feet before the end of the film (in the blue section telling you the rating).

Neil

I liked the way the music ended in the movie, it is different but I still enjoyed it and would like to have a copy.

The ending of AOTC is the best part of the whole movie. Nothing can compete with The Imperial March over an army of Clonetroopers.

Incidentally, the oddest thing about the 6-part series, when watched by future generations will be the strange disappearance of The Imperial March in Episode IV!

(that, and a strange-looking fellow playing The Emperor in Episode V)

Incidentally, the oddest thing about the 6-part series, when watched by future generations will be the strange disappearance of The Imperial March in Episode IV!

Maybe future generations should only watch Star Wars then and stay away from the rest.

Neil

My friend that went with me to AOTC didn't want to sit thought the end credits so I didn't get to hear the film version. :(  

Justin -Who thinks this is a great excuse to go see it again! :)

Same here. It sucks when your ride threatens to leave without you. :evil:

Next time, I'll stay...

-Chris

I was waiting for them to shut the projector off at my theater when I saw AOTC.  Luckily, they didn't. :)

~Harry

That happened to me when I saw A.I.. The cleaning lady must have thought that I was a loon. It was nearly 1am, the thetre was closing, the mall was closed and I was trying to listen to the whole end credits. They stopped them because they probably didn't see me waiting in the doorway near a rear speaker.

Because "George Lucas has his head up his a$$."

A direct quote from Joseph Williams speaking of the fact that Lucas didn't like what his dad originaly wrote for the celebration scene in The Phantom Menace...in that case...Joe wrote something new...sequenced it and went to London to record it.  John wrote some of the horn stuff on top of what Joe wrote.  It's my guess that Joe wrote the source "futuristic blues" cue in the 50's diner scene in AOTC.

Although Williams is always very cordial, I KNOW that he will be very upset at the butchering of his score for AOTC.  He'll never say anything about it though.  It's really too bad for us as well...I'm sure his original scoring for it was much more fluid, crafty and correct.  I myself was REALLY surprised by the amount of edits and substitutions that were in extremely poor taste.

-Eric

Agreed. George should stop meddling with the scores. Doesn't he know that ALL of these movies would have sucked if not for the scores? I don't even see Empire or Jedi even being made without Williams' epic, timeless scores. And if they were made, I probably wouldn't have liked them as much as I do.

In reviewing the story of Attack Of The Clones in my mind, I can only think of the superior angles and ideas... magic... that Speilberg could have added to this already awesome film if he had directed this one. And he would have doubtlessly kept Williams score intact (The Lost World being the only case where he has butchered John's music).

What is Lucas' problem? He creates these great stories, and self-sabotages them with average directing, poor editing and a total disregard for the most important ingredient in the saga... the music itself.

I can't wait to hear what Williams has to say about this. He must NOT be happy, but again he is probably too polite to openly say.

Eric, does Joseph admire his father's talents as much as we do? Sometimes you take things like that for granted if it's your dad.

Maybe future generations should only watch Star Wars then and stay away from the rest.

Neil

Neil is sounding more like Joe than Joe himself :biglaugh: !

The ending of AOTC is the best part of the whole movie. Nothing can compete with The Imperial March over an army of Clonetroopers.

(that, and a strange-looking fellow playing The Emperor in Episode V)

I don't like that as much. It doesn;t work for this reason... the Imperial March doesn't work as well there because Vader isn't yet in command of the army. And that march was written for Vader and his troops.

I would have preferred to hear what Williams had originally composed for that scene.

Chris, Who thinks that Lucas doesn't even know what these themes mean. :)

On the cd the last 30 seconds of the last track forshadow so many dark things. It is 30 seconds of pure genius.

Joe, who feels that John Williams is a great composer, but he is at his absolute be when it comes to finishing the film. His endtitles are the greatest of his great works. I must stop now since I have as many posts as the great Stefancos. I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart, and I don't want to pull a Harry.

Oh, c'mon Joe --- more of the reason to do it! :D

His "End Credits/Titles" are phenomenal. I just love the "End Credits" to Far And Away and this "Finale/End Credits" (for Episode II) is freakin' awesome. It's a shame they cut the brilliant ending, but they got an album to sell, ya know?

Did Joe Williams, in fact, write "Augie's..."? So he was the one that layered in the Emperor's Theme. Or maybe not.

So that's what Johnny asks of his children? Source music? What has Mark Williams done for him? I read something about Mark being the keyboardist on The Accidental Tourist but I'm not sure if that's true.

Any confirmations? Thoughts?

Dan - with an unquenchable thirst for the truth

:music: "Looking For Work" from Angela's Ashes

we all have the ending of the movie!!!!!!!1 they just badly edited in Across the Stars....... IDIOTS

On the cd the last 30 seconds of the last track forshadow so many dark things.  It is 30 seconds of pure genius.

Agreed, it's one of the most impressive bits of clever scoring I can think of. We basically get Anakin's whole story arc through all six movies in a couple of notes. First Anakin's theme from Ep.1, next Across the Stars (basically the main theme of Ep.2), then Vader's theme (which will probably become very prominent in Ep.3), then Across the Stars again and finally Vader's theme followed by a couple of notes on the harp - which is the last intrument to play the theme in ROTJ.

Marian - who thinks Williams is very clever.

I prefer something more illustrious:

Like "Brilliant"

Dan - who thinks "clever" does not do Johnny justice...

................but, then again, neither does "brilliant"

:( "Love Theme from Attack Of The Clones"

I'm going to see it again this weekend, and I'll make sure to sit through the credits. Seeing as thats a few days away, can someone explain, in detail, what changes were made?

Hello, "N". I think someone posted that in this thread somewhere. I'll reiterate, though.....

Right after the "Main Theme" segue, it cuts to the concert version of the "Love Theme" instead of continuing with the end credits medley. The "Anakin's fate" bit is, unfortunately left out, thanks to Ben Burtt (and/or Ken Wannberg) [and/or Ewok Lucas]

Dan - who considers Ben Burtt and enemy

:music: "Yoda and the Younglings" from Attack Of The Clones

I remember they shortened the credit music to Harry Potter. It ended after the first trumpet blast and didn't build up like in the trailer.

Justin

Really? I didn't notice that! OH, wait! From the trailer? Hmmm......maybe that's what I didn't notice.

Dan - who will research this next Tuesday when he gets Harry Potter on DVD

:music: "Departing Coruscant" from Attack Of The Clones

Thanks, Director. Sorry if I missed it in here, I just wanted to have a better idea of what you were talking about. I'll be sure to offer my opinion after I've heard it.

Really?  I didn't notice that!  OH, wait!  From the trailer?  Hmmm......maybe that's what I didn't notice.

The build up I'm talking about is also on the track on the CD "Hedwig's Theme" The first build up is where the music ends in the Film Version of the End Credits.

Justin

I liked the way the music ended in the movie, it is different but I still enjoyed it and would like to have a copy.

Didn't they replace then ending with that of The Love Theme (track 2), if so, then you already have it.

Stefancos- who hates those edits.

I really have to start watching end credits rather than figuring, bah, I have the cd anyway :)