Minority Reports

Wickenstein

Who has picked this one up today? I for one sacrificed sleep to drive down and pick up the only copy in town at midnight! What does everybody think? I'm going to give this one a few more spins before attempting an analysis.

NP: Minority Report

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Best Buy on my lunch break today and they didn't have it!!!!!!!!

Went to Target, they didn't have it either!!

WTF!

-Jason

:) Elfman's POTA2001

You must have a GREAT store where you buy soundtracks if you were able to get a copy of Minority Report LAST NIGHT at midnight.

Where I'm at I could look every day this week and not find a copy. I could order one from AMAZON.com (which I did order Minority Report from) and I'd get it sooner than most of the places around here. When the soundtrack for ENTERPRISE came out last month (May 28) I went to both MediaPlay and BestBuy on my lunch hour and neither one had it. Best Buy finally had one out on the following Saturday. When the score CD for Spider-Man came out on June 4th I went through the same thing except even on Saturday I still couldn't find it here ? I had to get it Sunday when I went to visit a friend. The MediaPlay where he is only had one copy. I guess it'll be Thursday before my Minority Report CD comes in. I'm just plagued with idiot managers who won't get enough copies of the things I like. That's what I get for moving to North Carolina - where the soundtrack lover and sci-fi fan are few and far between.

Well, I'm back from lunch, and now up to track 12. Obviously, it will take me a while to digest this very complex score, but I have to say that so far I am really blown away by it. Picked up the Scorpion King (Debney) too, another new release today, and will get to it later. Needless to say, it will be a letdown from Minority Report, but I'm a Debney fan, and am crazy about Goldsmith's and Silvestri's Mummy scores.

Back to work...

Minority Report is one of the most abstract Williams scores since Close Encounters. It's also more Herrmanesque. Instrumentation is less elaborated than later SW, there is no big brass, since strings are used profusely, more than any other instrumental group. The music, although abstract, seems to be deeply tied to the action, and it's very effective. It will require more imagination and more attention to be able to be enjoyed alone.

There is a beautiful melody in Sean's Theme, very resemblant to Presumed Innocent. Those who only seek the action, just go to the "Anderton's great Escape". That's the only

The altered female voice in "Visions of Anne Lively" made me shudder when I heard it in my car.

Another favorite is "Spyders", with its frantic theme.

The optimistic last track reminds me again A.I. and Close Encounters. Overall, I like it, but it will take more time to unleash its secrets.

Darth Archer,

I had the same trouble finding the Minority Report CD this morning too. Walmart didn't have them, and a local store Crow's Nest, got only 1 copy(!) and they had to dig it out of a crate for me (it took them about 10 minutes to find it). While waiting, worrying that they didn't have it still, I noticed they had about 20 Scooby Doo songtracks out front for sale. It's a hard life for soundtrack fans... :cry:

Compact Disc World in Cherry Hill had one copy, and now it's mine all mine!!

I haven't had enough time to really analyze and form an opinion of the score. I'll just say that "Anderton's Great Escape" sounds like the score to a scene depicting a dinosaur running through the streets of Coruscant.

Neil

You must have a GREAT store where you buy soundtracks if you were able to get a copy of Minority Report LAST NIGHT at midnight.

I had to call around EVERYWHERE to find out who was going to have it. When I called Target and Walmart they both accidentally hung up on me. The only music store that was getting a copy was Sam Goody. They only had ONE. They just happened to mention they reopen at midnight on Tuesdays. Even though I had an exam today, I thought "what the hell...." I guess that shows how much of a Williams fan I am!

I kept having these horrible visions of some other crazed Williams fan grabbing it before me. That's what prompted me to get it at midnight. Yesterday was the only day where I was actually happy that I was the only big Williams fan around.

The store isn't that great though. They never got the Spiderman score CD so I had to order it online. I also had to pay 22 bucks and they kept hassling me to get a Club Card! They probably thought I was crazy!

As for the score, I've been through the disc twice and I can't make up my mind. I rarely love scores during the first listen. I have to actually know the music to appreciate it.

I really really like Sean's Theme when it's played during the first and last track. The female soloist is great whenever she appears. As soon as I heard Track 7, Eye-Dentiscan, I thought "March of the Villains" from Superman! I haven't hears Williams do any material like that in a while!

I was disappointed with the absense of electronics. As others have said, this score is really moody. I always thought this was going to be a Williams equivalent of Total Recall. Williams and Spielberg went a more traditional, yet still fresh, style. It's funny how in scores we expect him to be traditional while writing (AOTC and AI to an extent) we get a lot of experimentation (guitars, percussion, electronics, techno beats) and in scores we expect him to go all out in (MR) he writes more restrained.

Seeing the movie on Friday will probably cement my opinion. I don't want to say too much now because I want to be fair.

As soon as I heard Track 7, Eye-Dentiscan, I thought "March of the Villains" from Superman!

Yes I thought I heard that too! I was in my car at the time, and couldn't quite concentrate, but sure enough, it is very similar to "March of the Villains". :)

Neil

I always thought this was going to be a Williams equivalent of Total Recall. Williams and Spielberg went a more traditional, yet still fresh, style.

I think Williams would score the film total recall in the same way :)

Wal-Mart didn't have it. K-mart didn't have it. No store in my darn town had the f**king thing!!!!! :););)

Justin -Who wants to scream. ;)

As to my experience, I called Circuit City in the morning, and they said they had 1 copy, and I said, great!, please keep it for me, and I'll come and pick it up in a couple of hours. They said, they will, but if someone asks for it, then they have to sell it, because it's a new release, however, it will be unlikely someone will ask for it within 2 hours.

I went there, and she SOLD it!!! AAAHHHH!!!

The lady was apologetic, but it seemed only as a courtesy, rather than actually feeling bad about it.

So, I had to go to another Circuit City that's far away, and drove some 20 minutes of freeway to get there. But luckily they had it. So, I picked it up for $13.99.

I listened to it, and fell in love with it immediately. It's a good buy. But for those who are expecting Raiders, or Superman, don't go buy it, otherwise you'll be unhappy with it.

I thought it will be more like A.I., but I think it's more interesting.

Can't wait for Harry Potter 2 and Catch Me If You Can.

Just think, when and where has anybody released 7 CDs in a year. We are blessed!! INDEED!!!

1) American Journey

2) Cello Concerto

3) Treesong

4) Attack Of the Clones

5) Minority Report

6) Harry Potter 2

7) Catch Me If You Can

I think this is the richest year of Williams' output, ever!

I don't know what's with next year, but I am certainly looking forward to at least 2 scores from Williams.

Anybody knows what he has agreed to do?

Too bad he is not doing HULK. That would've been so good.

I picked up the Minority Report soundtrack just a couple hours ago at Tower Records, they had many copies. A friend said he went to Best Buy and walked away emptyhanded. As for the score:

I agree it's very abstract, as someone else described it. To tell the truth, I don't really like it that much, but that will hopefully change when I actually see the movie. None of the themes, in my opinion, were memorable and it just all sounded the same.

I also thought of Superman's "March of the Villains" when I heard Eye Dentiscan. So far I'm at track 10 on my first listen. Nothing has really struck me as being great, but it rarely does the first time (I was first disappointed in Harry Potter and now it's one of my favorites). Hearing it repeatedly and in the move will help me form a solid opinion. However, I do like the beauty of Sean's Theme and the action of Anderton's Great Escape.

Ray Barnsbury

I think what Morn said about this score in another thread is true: It's great but not a masterpiece. I agree that there aren't any real standout tracks upon the first listen, such as Chase Through Coruscant, The Arena, Quiditch Match, Reunion, the Blue Fairy, etc. Anderton's Escape, Visions of Anne Lively, and A New Beginning may turn out to be the highlights of this one.

I find A New Beginning is really bittersweet. Like AI, I feel really sad when listenning to it. It's also very beautiful. I assume it's the end credits music. What does everybody else think?

Well, I bought my copy of Minority Report, but I am keeping it in its packaging until I see the movie. It's going to be hard, but I bought Sum of all Fears and The Musketeer to hold me over to Friday. ;)

~Harry

I don't know what's with next year, but I am certainly looking forward to at least 2 scores from Williams.  

Anybody knows what he has agreed to do?

All the information that we have about his upcoming projects can be found on the main page ("New & Upcoming")

3) Treesong

That came out last year.

Neil

Actually it's from 2000 :)

My disc is copyrighted 2001 and according to Amazon, it was released on September 18, 2001.

Neil

Just out of a whim I went into my fav CD store(June 18) here on the east coast of Canada (where I live) as usual they saw me coming and asked what I was looking for today. Since I had been in the week before to get Spiderman score (the only one they ordered) and said "I know you won't have it, but is Minority Report in?" To my great surprise it was! I bought it on the spot! what's remarkable is that this is the only score other than the star wars ones (other composers included) that have ever been here on the release date!! It made my day

The score has taken a couple listens but as usual with anything JW does after 1997 it has grown on me! if gone are the days like E.T. Raiders and Superman where they hit you like a brick and you are in love with them forever So be it! I actually really enjoy learning to love JW's newest works. It makes me appreciate him and is craft even more!

Harry -- what do you think of The Sum Of All Fears and The Musketeer?

The score is great and it is exactly what I expected. There are some great cues that are unreleased but the CD is a great selection of the score. The promo will be selling for lots, I'm sure.

Director - who wonders if Johnny will get the nod for this one or for Catch Me If You Can. (or both)

:angry: "My Mother Begging" from Angela's Ashes

Director - who wonders if Johnny will get the nod for this one or for Catch Me If You Can. (or both)

Neither. He'll be recognized for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (if it's anywhere near as good as the original).

Neil

Harry -- what do you think of The Sum Of All Fears and The Musketeer?

I didn't like TSOAF, but I absolutely love The Musketeer! I can't get enough of it! David Arnold rose to the occasion to compose a wonderful action/loud score, just they way I like it. And that theme, wow!

~Harry, who likes Superman :angry:

Director - who wonders if Johnny will get the nod for this one or for Catch Me If You Can.  (or both)

I hope Starwars gets the nod this year. I realize that the heavy editting will probably ruin its chances, but what's on the album is gold! It deserves to at least win a grammy or something for how much of an excellent listenning experience it is.

Speaking of CMIYC, anybody have any guesses as to what we'll get from this one? Williams music for Leonardo Dicaprio?!?!? Well, at least Tom Hanks is in it and Spielberg's directing...

Can't you order it online?  Or is the shipping too high?

Yes of course, I can.

But my wife can get 20% of price reduction at the store where she works, so I am waiting for it in this store.

For the moment, I have not seen this CD in any store in France, but I usually have to wait a week.

Only Episode II were available at the correct date.

Only Episode II were available at the correct date.

In the Czech Republic, it all varies with each new score I buy by Williams. For instance, AotC was available on the very same day it spotted the light of a day worldwide, and so was the movie, on the other , alas, hand I agreed to endure a 3-month wait to get my copy of A.I., which I slowly dare considering to be the best Williams' non-fully-classical score.

Minority Report score's release date in my country is very likely going to follow the suit the title of the movie suggests so it can, considered for minorities that perhaps don't mind having to wait, become --at best-- a cool Christmas present for me. Sad but true. Well, ordering online from Amazon or elsewhere, I think my name should have sounded a bit differently to afford such luxury (Bill G. comes to mind).

I'm low on money as much as a JW fan can be. So I'm proud of having what seems like 60% of score/non-score material John's ever conjured (incl. my 3 copies of Schindler's List of which I also got the gold disc which is now the most treasured thing in my 2-room flat).

Y.L.-)

I dunno this soundtrack doesn't sound like its gonna be MY KIND OF THI"NG. I'll still buy it since its from my boy Johnny but its hardly what I wanted.

-Rogue Leader who longs for a return to the JW of 1983.

Here it is Thurday, June 20th, and if the UPS tracking info is accurate (despite it still saying that today is when it's scheduled to get to me, because I ordered it 2nd Day Air) it looks like I'll probably have to wait ONE MORE DAY for it to get here because Amazon.com took so long on Tuesday to get the darn thing shipped out. WHY DO THEY TORTURE ME SO???

I HATE Amazon.com. I've had so many problems with them. Just last week it took them a week and two days for the Spiderman score CD to get here.

For those of you who have and like the Minority Report score, what are your favorite tracks? So far mine are,

1. Minority Report

7. Eye Dentiscan

12. Visions of Anne Lively

16. A New Beginning

What are some other standout tracks to examine?

01 - Minority Report (cool track, it's like a summary of the main characters experience though the film, the film was released today in Australia, GREAT FILM!)

04 - Sean and Lara

09 - Sean's Theme

10 - Anderton's Great Escape

Minority Report

"Can You See?"

Pre-Crime to the Rescue

Everybody Runs!

Anderton's Great Escape

Visions of Anne Lively

Psychic Truth

A New Beginning

I've only been half-listening to it since I bought it (been on the computer doing stuff, while it's been playing). I think "Can You See?" has a LOT of brass from CE3K in it, from "Barry's Abduction" (or whatever its name is now). I think "Eye-Dentiscan" definitely has the pace of "March of the Villains" and quite possibly the feel if it's anything like the scene I saw on Oprah where his eyes are always getting scanned and all the wall-ads are shouting, "John Anderton! John Anderton! John Anderton!" Not only did I hear CE3K and Superman, but I thought I heard a few nods to Indy in "Anderton's Great Escape" too--once from Last Crusade and a few from Raiders. As far as THOSE sounds go, this seems like a nostalgic score for Johnny.

Still, there are some "inspired" sounds throughout the score. I hear AOTC's darker moments ("Tusken Camp and Homestead") pop up every now and then. A.I.'s there too, somewhat. But by no means will I call this a Horner. It's got a lot of inspiration from prior material, but it's still good.

Today I finally learned to completely appreciate and enjoy this score. I'm going to give it 5 out of 5! Up until now I wasn't that sure of its greatness. Things finally clicked with it though, so I'm happy. It's just like with all of Williams' recent albums where every single track has something great to offer.

Anderton's Great Escape, Everybody Runs! , Spyders, and Pre-Crime to the Rescue are just fantastic action tracks. I regret saying in my review that Minority Report didn't have the excitement AOTC does. All the brooding parts are magnificent, just as they are in Williams' Episode II score. What makes the score really special are the more tender parts. Spielberg was right, Sean's Theme really does find its way into your heart by the end.

After having seen the film twice, I'm appreciating the score more and more. I've always liked "A New Beginning", but now the action cues are starting to click with me, and I'm really enjoying them. Of course my loving the movie may sway my opinion a little. :)

Neil