Schindler's Pissed: Universal Botches The New DVD!

Lurker

The following screen grabs are all from the John Williams filmography on the new Schindler's List DVD. Please note that Williams is credited on 19 films that he did not score.

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz001_120.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz002.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz003.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz004.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz005.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz006.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz007.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz008.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz009.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz010.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz011.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz012.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz013.jpg

This was brought to my attention by a post found here.

This list was pulled entirely from the Williams bio at the IMDB and we all know the reliability of that site. The 1987 version of Superman that Williams is credited on, for instance, is a completely pirated version of the movie. You can read all about that film here.

Isn't there anyone who works with Spielberg on these DVD projects that has a list of all the music Williams has done? If not, who in their right mind relies on the IMDB? JWFan.net is far more reliable than that, and should have been used to at least fact check this disc. But really, do Steven's people have to rely on the internet to get information about their own films?

I'm so furious about the lack of respect shown to Williams and to the other composers on this very important DVD release, it isn't funny. This is Schindler's List, one of the most important films ever made. How could something like this happen? Spielberg and all involved should be ashamed of themselves.

Neil

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is shocking and disgraceful. I wonder how long it will take to be brought to the attention of those responsible, and Spielberg and Williams.

Ray Barnsbury

While also filled with righteous indignation, I can't help noticing that some of these are really a hoot. Nutty Professor II- The Klumps, Rugrats and There?s Nothing Out There?

Perhaps a better description of the empty-headed list compilers would be- ?there?s nothing in there.?

Considering how bad the supplements are for a movie that was so desired on DVD (not to mention the bad packaging), it's a wonder Spielberg gave his OK for this. Someone didn't do his/her homework when it came to Williams's credit, and initially when I saw the info on the DVD, I thought that maybe his music had been used for source pieces or something that I hadn't been aware about. Also thumbs down for making this a DVD-18. People (including yours truly) have been having various problems playing the disc properly.

Maybe some day there'll be a real special edition of the movie. Although the picture/sound is fine, I consider it nothing more than a bare bones release. At the same time, this is just one of those films that is best left to speak for itself.

initially when I saw the info on the DVD, I thought that maybe his music had been used for source pieces or something that I hadn't been aware about.

In many of the films he is credited for on this DVD, his music was used. Maybe not as a source cue, but maybe for effect. For instance Airplane! starts off with the Jaws theme. Does that negate all of the music Elmer Bernstein wrote on that film? Of course not, but according to that list, Williams wrote that score. You know what Williams did on Airplane!? He collected a check, that's what he did!

And to add insult to injury, Williams' first Oscar win (Fiddler on the Roof) isn't even on this list.

Neil

what's a DVD-18?

A double-sided dual layer disc. Each side holds 9 GB's of info, so a two sided disc is obviously 18 GB's. ;)

Neil - who still doesn't know what Fei taugh mo neuih is.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122318/

Gee, I didn't think of that, since I already mentioned the IMDB in my first post. It's The Witch with Flying Head but, if it did indeed come out in 1977, how does it have music from Poledouris' score to Conan the Barbarian in it?

Neil

Did it have to happen full to "Schindler's List"? I agree with Neil; it's not funny! :sigh:

Only thank God SL isn't my all-time favorite movie and that I hadn't been waiting for it to come out since '98.....

:cry:

WOW! That is very surprising especially since this is:

1) A Speilberg DVD and Steven usually has his people ensure everything is correct especailly for his pal Johnny.

2) Such a major Speilberg film. If they were gonna screw up it seems hard to believe they would do it for a film as important as this one.

WOW, what an answer:

Thank you for contacting us. Please call (+46) 8 629 .. ... ..

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Video

Code=FI

They want me to make an expensive phone call because they made a mistake? :S

EDIT: would some of you guys also try your luck and write to Universal? Someone from the U.S. , they might have a better support there...

The mistake is certainly embarrassing and disrespectful, but anyone who would not buy the DVD because of a stupid "filmography" really might want to examine their priorities or be a bit more honest.

I would be willing to venture that the majority of people here and in the DVD buying public don't even bother with looking through the filmographies. The film, on this disc especially, is the important thing. What Universal did is totally unprofessional and inexcusable, but I can't believe how up in arms people are getting compared to other stupidity they've pulled on Spielberg releases.

I agree with Steven, yes it is disrespectful but it won't prevent me from buying the DVD.

I'm sure if you checked other DVDs you might find some of the same errors in the filmography section as well.

I'm more pissed about the Jaws DVD lacking the full Documentary that is found on the Laserdisc and the new sound mix replacing the original.

what's a DVD-18?

A double-sided dual layer disc. Each side holds 9 GB's of info, so a two sided disc is obviously 18 GB's. :sigh:

Shouldn't a dual-sided dual-layered disc be a DVD-19? As far as I know, the number is the rounded off total amount of disc space it can hold. In this case, it would be 18.8, which is closer to 19.

How do you spell losers? That's right: U-N-I-V-E-R-S-A-L.

- Marc, :sigh:

Universal has always been the worse for releasing discs with mistakes. The first that comes to mind was the original DTS DVD release of Jurassic Park (the first film made with a DTS mix) in which the LFE had been mixed down so much that there was practicly to bass in the movie. Universal re-pressed the disc with a corrected audio track but didn't recall it in the stores, meaning that you would have to buy the defective one and then send it to Universal for a replacement.

Also, their Back to the Future trilogy set apparently had some scenes where the widescreen video transfer was cropped from an already cropped pan & scan edition. Universal had started offering a replacement but later changed their mind.

The mistake is certainly embarrassing and disrespectful, but anyone who would not buy the DVD because of a stupid "filmography" really might want to examine their priorities or be a bit more honest.

I would be willing to venture that the majority of people here and in the DVD buying public don't even bother with looking through the filmographies. The film, on this disc especially, is the important thing. What Universal did is totally unprofessional and inexcusable, but I can't believe how up in arms people are getting compared to other stupidity they've pulled on Spielberg releases.

The wisdom of Steven Awalt strikes again.

This won't hold me off in any way. I'm not bying this film, simply because I don't feel it's one to watch over and over again. But it is flippin' retarded that Universal would screw up something as silly as a filmography. The Nutty Professor? Geez!

- Marc

:sigh: Jerry Goldsmith - The Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Shouldn't a dual-sided dual-layered disc be a DVD-19? As far as I know, the number is the rounded off total amount of disc space it can hold. In this case, it would be 18.8, which is closer to 19.

I did not write the DVD spec, but you can read about the discs here.

Neil

This is indeed pathetic but it wouldn't stop me from buying the DVD. I never look at those things anyway.

Justin -Who wasn't planning on buying the DVD anyway. :sigh:

wow, I've got alot of John Williams CD's to catch up on, how did I miss those?

and dammit, here we were acting as if he didn't do anything in 2003.

Can't wait to hear Herr Lehmann!!!

WOW, what an answer:

Thank you for contacting us. Please call (+46) 8 629 .. ... ..

A Stockholm office? Why?

Maybe just an invented number *g*

Oh, do you want to call them? I mean you´re also in Stockholm, i think this would be a lot cheaper wouldn´t it?

Maybe just an invented number *g*

Oh, do you want to call them? I mean you´re also in Stockholm, i think this would be a lot cheaper wouldn´t it?

It'd probably only be worth a local call, I guess...

HEHEHE, maybe in a future DVD release we will see in Williams' filmography his numerous works playing classical guitar and stuff LOL

HEHEHE, maybe in a future DVD release we will see in Williams' filmography his numerous works playing classical guitar and stuff LOL

and his recent brush with the law, and his subsequent penalty.

Maybe this list was put together by James Lipton.

i'm completely shocked. i really can't believe that that kind of rubbish gets on DVDs. There are many other good sources out there. It's disgraceful actually. Makes me want to write to them. I will still buy the dvd, but not be happy with the mistakes. . .

for shame.

Umm, how could this happen. Where on earth did the list maker come up with some of these films?

I just got it today and I came here after I saw the same thing.

Still, you guys seem to be overracting, aren't you? Not buying the disc because of this minor error? What the?!

Granted, most of those have useage of a pre-existing Williams theme in them, but then some of them on that list I've never seen or heard of before so I have no idea what's up with those.

I'm more upset that they left out his non-film scores more than including ones that he didn't compose original music to.

"The list... is a false one...

The list... is a mistake...."

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :)

-Chris

Is it (+46)8-629 53 70?

No, it´s (+46) 8 629 68 94. Will you call them? would be interesting at least *g*

lol, sure :) what am I going to say?

A couple of guys I know on a messageboard noticed the Mr. Williams's credits are all wrong... Please remove the following pictures... something like that?

Say that there is a lot of commotion going on in the forums about the carelessness that can be found in the list of works by John Williams and ask where they got their missinformation.

----------------

Alex Cremers

No one's perfect. Even the great filmmusic guru Tony Thomas has had his share of listing wrong credits. Well, I'm not sure if he was responsible for the actual discography lists in Film Score: The Art and Craft of Movie Music, but since he is listed as the sole author...

One of the movies credited to Williams, for instance, was Emma's War for 1986. But it seems there is an obscure Australian composer whose name is also John Williams, or at least that's what I remember reading years ago.

I understand all of your heartache on this subject, and yes Univeral should be held responsible. Universal is now owned by NBC and GE, so you might want to contact them for they are the parent company. www.nbc.com www.ge.com

Yes... yes... Flood the bastards! Flood 'em! Send them viruses! Threatening e-mails! Let them buuuurnn!!!

- Marc, who feels being annoyed about this mistake for five minutes is enough. :roll:

One of the movies credited to Williams, for instance, was Emma's War for 1986. But it seems there is an obscure Australian composer whose name is also John Williams, or at least that's what I remember reading years ago.

IMDB lists about 3 john williams composers actually.

IMDB lists about 3 john williams composers actually.

So you think that we should be happy that they at least chose the right one?! :pukeface:

I tried calling earlier today but couldn't get to them. I try Monday/Tuesday again... When I get time.