The Simpsons Season 4 DVD Announced (UPDATE: Cover Art Added

Mr. Breathmask

Just read this on The Simpsons Archive.

Season 4 DVD Set Announced

Courtesy of Fox Home Entertainment - March 12, 2004

On June 15, 2004, "The Simpsons: The Complete Fourth Season" debuts from Fox Home Entertainment. Following the record-breaking Season One, Two and Three DVD releases, selling over five million DVDs to-date, "The Complete Fourth Season" features all 22 episodes from the fourth season (1992-1993) from the longest-running comedy series in primetime. Featuring exclusive bonus material including commentary on each episode, an introduction by Matt Groening, a voiceover featurette with James L. Brooks, an Animation Showcase multi-angle feature, animatics, commercials, deleted scenes and more, the four-disc collection arrives at a suggested retail of$49.98 US / $69.98 Canada.

All episodes are compiled on four discs (full frame, aspect ratio 1.33:1). Each episode (R1) is presented with English 5.1 Surround, Spanish Dolby Surround, French Dolby Surround Sound and Spanish subtitles. Total running time is 506 minutes.

Based on a Fox Home press release as posted by TV Shows on DVD  

So... June 15. Neat. I'm hoping we'll get an R2 release date soon, and that this one won't be exposed each month. Bring on The Simpsons!

- Marc, wants this. ;)

EDIT: Scroll down to see the cover art.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't have more than the first season. :)

Marian - who has season #1 of Simpsons, Futurama and DS9, needs more from each series, and has no money.

;) The Hunt for Red October (Basil Poledouris)

Excellent.  I've been waiting for "Marge vs. the Monorail" on DVD since Season One came out.

Neil

Another older bit from SNPP.com:

February 16, 2004  

According to an unconfirmed Internet rumor, after his show in Canada, Conan O'Brien had said he'll be doing season 4 commentaries.

"Hey are you doing the Simpsons Season 4 commentaries?"  

"Yeah, we recorded it last week."  

"Monorail?"  

"Yeah, Monorail!"

;)

- Marc, who will hopefully be able to add another season of Futurama to his collection by the end of the month.

I'm so glad they're getting to the best episodes. The Monorail Episode has to be one of the cleverest episodes ever written, and compare it with the newest episodes. I'm disappointed in the new series (the last five series' actually); the writing is unoriginal and the episodes are just plain wierd. I'll be picking this one up for sure (though in Australia, Channel 10 repeat roughly 5 and a half hours of The Simpsons from various seasons. I'm not exactly sick of it, but these sorts of episodes (like "Marge vs. Monorail") no longer become ritual viewings.

The Simpsons are old and outdated now, i'm so glad Fox will be making new Episodes of Family Guy.

The Simpsons are old and outdated now

You are wrong. They are not.

I can't wait for it! I wish they'd have a more normal release schedule- I mean, August then December than June?

I can't wait for the commentaries again, especialy now that Conan is taking part. I just wish they'd have more special features, like an entire recording session or something like that, maybe an interview with Clausen. I still haven't found the 'audio outtakes' hidden on season 3.

I have nothing against the Simpsons i love the show, but it seems at time to be repetitive and unoriginal. The jokes aren't that funny anymore.

I think they have killed the inside jokes that used to be funny.Doing so makes the early episodes seem less funny retroactively when watching them now.For example it used to be hilarious to see Mr Burns forget Homer's name all the time but it got lame after all that time.Same with the mysterious characters that made cameos,like Bumblebee Man,or Cletus..they got overexposed at some ponit making them less funny.A lot jokes in the early seasons are also directly related to the pop culture of the early 90's making them somewhat dated now.Finally,i've seen the repeats on TV so many times and know the episodes by heart so I find the overall funiness has worn out.

So I got the first 3 seasons but i may stop collecting them

K.M.

I still disagree. They may not be as consistantly hillarious as seasons 4-8, but a good Simpsons episode is still better than everything else.

Better than last year for sure. This year there were some real gems.

Morlock- who in wo hours will have seen every Simpsons in existance!

It's not the first time I have noticed periodical dips in the funiness of the show before but it bounces back after a while.2001 to 2003 were the least funny seasons IMO.They have to tone down the Homer dumbass antics a bit,which they appear to have done.

K.M.

While not so hilarious, I remember liking the first season too, but what was it with Homer's voice? That voice was not so funny, a bit lame even. Talk about inconsistency. The Homer voice really constantly upgraded itself throughout the show, while all the other voices seems the same now as they were then.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Dan Castellanetta (sp?) talked about that once in an interview. Homer started out as kind of a Walter Matthau impression. But doing the voice like that was hard to sustain, so it slipped a bit more into the back of his throat. It got a bit higher and less nasal, and it sounded a lot dopier. And it's easier for him to do.

- Marc, who loves all performances by the main cast.

I used to not like the simpsons but now I do!! I think the jokes are hilarious and it is a show to just sit down and watch and let your brain go!

kaspharm

it is a show to just sit down and watch and let your brain go!

I disagree. I don't think it's mindless entertainment at all. It's so sharp and satirical that it challenges it's audience far more than the average sitcom.

Neil

I'm not sure if there's a word for the kind of humor used in The Simpsons. It is humor that's initially not so funny untill you've seen a couple of episodes and gotten to know the characters a bit more.

Is there anyone who can follow me?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Very true. IMO it is the biggest cult TV show ever. You can't just sit down once a season and laugh your ass off. You really need to know the characters.

Morlock- who is very proud of the fact that he's seen every single Simpsons in exsistance!

it is a show to just sit down and watch and let your brain go!

I disagree. I don't think it's mindless entertainment at all. It's so sharp and satirical that it challenges it's audience far more than the average sitcom.

Neil

I don't know about the last two seasons, but I think they used to do so. Most episodes since the season 11 opener have been literally embarrasing to watch for me. No, not most episodes: all episodes. Exception made by the hilariously whacky Kill the Aligator and Run.

I still don't have more than the first season.

It's probably the weakist, I really disliked how it tried to be both a hip comedy show and a brady bunch like drama, doesn't work.

The current season is very good, the most recent episode has the best simpsons opening title ever! And the UK episode is most certainly a classic and one of the funniest.

I hate it when they go on location. That means they're all out of good ideas. When Married with Children went on location it was a clear sign of decline.

I liked that Married with Children episode, the area of london for giving stupid speeches, harlious.

• 2 weeks later...
Embarrasing? Why?

Kaspharm

·Pointless storylines

·Dumbed-down characters

·Cheap, easy humor

·Comparison to show's prime

I disagree.

I LOVE the Simpsons. I love it so much I even have one of them tattooed on me. That being said, I'm still open to the opinions of those who don't like it (even though you are wrong) :mrgreen:

I agree that most of the best eps, the real classics, have already been done in earlier seasons, but even this season has had some pretty good gags in it. Including the opening that I think Morn was refering to (from the couch to the universe to homers brain and back to the couch?)

Even at it's lower points (those eps that maybe weren't quite up to pare) The Simpsons still is, was and always will be funnier,

more topical and better written than most of what is on TV.

Best - show - ever!!

-Becky

The Simpsons are great I'm working my way through syndication. I just watched the episode where Bart gets a credit card under Santa's Little Helper's name. Good episode. :)

"Homer: Well crying isn't going to help. Now, you can sit there feeling sorry for yourself or you can eat can after can of dog food until your tears smell enough like dog food until your dog comes back, or you can go out there and find your dog.

Bart: You're right.

[Gets up and leaves]

Homer: Rats. I almost had him eating dog food."

8O

Justin

Even at it's lower points (those eps that maybe weren't quite up to pare) The Simpsons still is, was and always will be funnier,

Nobody was raped by a panda in Family Guy.

I'm pleased to hear it.

I thought you were a fan of even the late Simpsons, Stefan. Anyway, I was referring to that particular episode in which Homer, in order to amuse Mr. Burns, is raped by a panda. I think it's used as an example, by old Simpsons fans all over, of how low the show has fallen.

Yeah, everybody knows Family Guy is pure class.

There is a very fine distinction between "class" and "dignity", Justin. Ironically, the panda episode was called Homer Looses his Dignity of sometihng like that. Very poignant, but also very late.

I LOVE the Simpsons.  I love it so much I even have one of them tattooed on me.  That being said, I'm still open to the opinions of those who don't like it (even though you are wrong)  :mrgreen:  

I agree that most of the best eps, the real classics, have already been done in earlier seasons, but even this season has had some pretty good gags in it.  Including the opening that I think Morn was refering to (from the couch to the universe to homers brain and back to the couch?)  

Best - show - ever!!

-Becky

:thumbup:

I thought you were a fan of even the late Simpsons, Stefan. Anyway, I was referring to that particular episode in which Homer, in order to amuse Mr. Burns, is raped by a panda. I think it's used as an example, by old Simpsons fans all over, of how low the show has fallen.

At least the show's writers seemed to recognize that, as is evidenced by Lisa's dialogue afterward...

At least the show's writers seemed to recognize that, as is evidenced by Lisa's dialogue afterward...

But if that were true, they would have fixed that in latter episodes. And they didn't, until last year... sort of.

I thought you were a fan of even the late Simpsons, Stefan.

I', a fan of the simpsons, but since no network in my country is interested in broadcasting i'm exposed to episodes on a very irregular basis.

Anyway, I was referring to that particular episode in which Homer, in order to amuse Mr. Burns, is raped by a panda. I think it's used as an example, by old Simpsons fans all over, of how low the show has fallen.

Ah, like "jumping the shark"?

Ah, like "jumping the shark"?

Not quite: When a show jumps the shark, it's just not good anymore. The Simpsons ceased to be good long before the panda rape. And they stayed in that level of lowness for too many seasons. Ah, how the mighty fall...