Whats your favorite and least fav. style of film.

JoeinAR

I'm very well aware that it's a remake of The Seven Samurai. But they are two different movies. One's an Eastern, the other's a Western. And as a western, Magnificent Seven doesn't stand up.

And Star Wars is still not a western. Western infulenced, of course. But not a western.

Many a movie analysts say it is, though. I can understand why. But, Morlock, you need to use your eyes differently and stop looking for horses in the real sense of the word.

Eastern is also very present, of course. The Western and the Eastern were influencing each other all the time.

And a Western generaly has cowboys or men of theat ilk, guns, hats, cabins, towns, sherifs, Banks and wide vistas. And they invariably happen in the Western United States, and almost always in the years 1850-1920.

Ahum, ahum. Are you for real?

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahum, ahum. Are you for real?

Is what I was refering to, and I wasn't pissed off at you, I was just expressing the same disbelief.

And I do still insist that a Western must happen in the Western U.S.A. Many may have identical structure, identical feel and etc. but they cannot be called western. Western influenced- for sure, but not Western.

My fav styles:

1) Science Fiction/Adventure: e.g. Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Independence Day

2) Fantasy/Adventure: e.g. Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, LotR, The Mummy

3) Drama/Adventure: Mask of Zorro, Count of Monte Cristo, Man in the Iron Mask

4) Epic/Historical/Adventure: Ben Hur, Gladiator

5) Action/Adventure: Face Off, Mission Impoosible 2, James Bond

6) Action/Comedy: Rush Hour

7) Romantic style comedy: The American President

Dislike: horror, R&B style movies.

my favorite kind of movies are any movies with (action/adventure/horror) and a John Williams score in them.

I can find movies I love and hate in every single genre I can think of except musicals... which I just can't get into at all.

Where does this leave Fiddler on the Roof?

Neil

I'm also not a big fan of most musicals, but I seem to like the best of them- Singin' In the Rain, My Fair Lady, West Side story and Moulin Rouge stick out. Fiddler on The Roof is ok, Sound of Music is worth it for Christopher Plummer, An American in Paris had a fantastic finale, but otherwise, not really. When I saw it at first I liked Evita, but now I can't get over how superior the recordings of the original broadway show were.

If I had to pick my least favorite musical, it would probably be Gigi.

I enjoy almost all types of movies with the exception of musicals.

Aside from Spielberg and Star Wars some of my other favorites include:

Japanese Sci-Fi from the 50', 60's & 70's especially Godzilla

I'm a sucker for a film that has a giant monster or dinosaurs, I love the sci-fi and monster films from the 50's & 60's. Ray Harryhausen is a god.

Animation and sport films are a hit and miss with me. Alot of films about sports tend to get way too cheesy.

I love westerns, especially John Wayne & Clint Eastwood. Tombstone, Silverado, Dances With Wolves and Unforgiven show that a good western can still be made.

The James Bond series is still a favorite of mine, Grand Epics like Ben Hur and The 10 Commandments are favorites as well.

A good comedy is hard to find although Airplane, The first 2 Naked Gun Films, Tootsie, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World, Porkey's, The Great Race, and the American Pie films are some of my favorites.

I enjoy alot of Alfred Hitchcock's movies.

Horror films are ok but they tend to get really boring and too predictable, plus studios don't know when to stop (Friday the 13th, Jaws, Alien, Nightmare on Elm Street......).

I also enjoy war films. Patton, Tora Tora Tora, Saving Private Ryan, Stalag 17, The Great Escape and Von Ryans Express are some of the ones I enjoy.

Favorites:

Japanese Animation, Animated, CG, Black and White, Documentaries, Action/Adventure, Drama, Psychological Thrillers.

I love the way Tim Burton Directs; his innocent/sadistic film style is always great.

The same goes for Spielburg, Hitchcock, Gibson...

Least Favorite:

Anything Michael Moore's put out... Horror films with no plot and weak cinematography (see Jeepers Creepers 2)

My favorite kind of movie are dramas! I love sitting down to a nice "Chick Flick"! Other than that I love a good comedy as well. My least favorite kind of movie are action and fighting movies..I hate hearing the sound of guns through the entire thing!

Kaspharm

My favorite kind of movie are dramas! I love sitting down to a nice "Chick Flick"!  

Kaspharm

I also would confess to being something of a sucker for a good romantic flick. Curious if you or Ren have ever seen ?Meet Joe Black.? A bit on the sentimental side, but I?ve always liked it a lot.

I watched Fried Green Tomatoes the other day for the umpteenth time.

I love it. Same with Steel Magnolia's.

Hmm, probably sci fi or drama for favourite. Sci Fi has the most posiblities. And dramas, well of the play type, like say death of a salesman, not cliched chick flicks. :?

Least, probably action, mindless explosions etc...... Although it can be quite good, it breeds awful scripts.

Also musicals, sometimes the songs are boring, and when they aren't, the plot is. Only musicials have been boring enough to make me stop watching.

About star wars being a western, what about Star Trek, Roddenbery originally marketed it as a wagon wheel into space. Which explains the shape of the enterprise.

Where does this leave Fiddler on the Roof?

Very good as far as musicals go. :)

About star wars being a western, what about Star Trek, Roddenbery originally marketed it as a wagon wheel into space. Which explains the shape of the enterprise.

Marshall Kirk and his deputies maintaining law and order in space, sure, I buy it. Why not, they even wear a sheriff's star.

Roddenbery originally marketed it as a wagon wheel into space. Which explains the shape of the enterprise

Star Trek was pitched as "Wagon Train to the Stars", not "Wagon Wheel". Wagon Train was a popular western at the time Roddenberry was pitching Trek. Gene L. Coon was also a producer on Wagon Train.

Neil

Oh yeah, i don't watch "pure" action or fight films either,like Steve Sagal,VanDamne...ect...

Not a big fan of the Matrix.Liked part 3 a bit more because it was more traditionnal sci-fi

K.M.

That sounds like a great movie nja I will have to rent it..I just went to the new Blockbuster today and rented POTC...I am excited to see it as everyone has been telling me it is excellent!

Kaspharm

I just went to the new Blockbuster today and rented POTC...I am excited to see it as everyone has been telling me it is excellent!

Everyone?

Neil

Yes everyone who has seen it!!!:)

I did see it and not on home video, but in the theater. I've flushed things better than that movie.

Neil

Yes everyone who has seen it!!!:lsvader:

I did see it and not on home video, but in the theater. I've flushed things better than that movie.

Neil

Well at least POTC didn't flood your bathroom . . . :)

Not a big fan of the Matrix.Liked part 3 a bit more because it was more traditionnal sci-fi

No it was not, it was more traditional for an action movie, the first movie was more traditionally sci fi like.