1. 1.

• Planting the Charges-The Towering Inferno
    • The Last Battle-Star Wars
    • The Helicopter Rescue-Superman
    • The Truck Chase-Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Adventures on Earth-E.T.
    • The Forest Battle -Return of the Jedi
    • Underground Heroics-Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Jonathan Begins to Draw/The Landing(Amazing Stories-The Mission)
    • Indy's First Adventure-Last Crusade
    • The Ultimate War-Hook
    • Journey to the Island-Jurassic Park
    • The Quiddich Match-Harry Potter
    • Man Against Beast(Sea Attack #1)-Jaws

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Controversial perhaps, but I would have to go with Forest Battle. Some of the most colorful JW orchestration ever.

This is a surprisingly interesting poll question . . .

I voted for the Star Wars option, although "Man Against Beast" from Jaws would come a close second.

CYPHER

Well,in some scores,JW has the opportunity to score a long scene,set piece,or action sequence with the "showpiece" of the score... i thought people would get it...

Like The Enterprise for Star Trek TMP

or

ReBirth for Poltergeist...

K.M.

I voted for 'Adventures on Earth.' Some of the finest 15 minutes of film music ever composed. But I'm shocked at the omission of Far and Away's 'The Land Race.' It really should be there.

Ray Barnsbury

Ultimate War from Hook knocks my socks of every time. The orhestration and the thematic brilliance and sheer fun and energy Williams infuses the near 20-minute cue is amazing. Iwas sorely disappointed that the complete cue never made it to the soundtrack album but I guess that would have taken far too much space. Journey to the Island comes close second as it is the piece of music that got me interested in the film music at the first place(I am as you all know of the "Jurassic Park generation" of JW fan compared to "Star Wars generation") and is still rousing after all these years.

Oh my,The Asteroid Field from ESB didn't show up after I edited my poll.

and yeah,The Land Race is one of those cues too,I thought about it then forgot to type it.

K.M.

This list is nice but rather arbitrary.

From those mentioned I would choose Journey to the Island. T-rex Rescue is even nicer I think.

I dont know how long the polls are allowed to be.

I ask because we're missing many other wonderfully promiment cues from films such as Jaws,Close Encounters,Schindler's List, HP, etc (to name but a few).

Well,i had certain "criterias" to pick out these cues,they have to be miniature epics by themselves,score an elaborately orchestrated sequence in the film,be longer than 5-6 minutes...ect...it doesn't mean they are my favourite cues of the score,or the best individual score moment.And I couldn't put "Battle of Hoth" for example because it's more of a Suite of cues.

For example nothing but Man Against Beast in Jaws fits in that poll,even if some other parts of the scores are more intense.

Also,Gillian's Escape is another one I guess I should have put in.

K.M.

I think the "Star Wars" films have more than one centerpiece cue, and Superman as well. Heck, even AI has more than one ("The Reunion" and "Mecha World").

But I picked "Adventures on Earth." The best blend of sight and sound in the movies.

I'd say Indy's First Adventure is more an Overture than a center piece. Belly of the Steal Beast would be my pick as the center piece to TLC. As for the choices above, I went with The Last Battle from Star Wars.

Adventures on Earth is the maybe the most dramatically impressive cue (and I don't mean just of the choices listed) in terms of showcasing the power of music in a film and the incredible skill of Williams.

The original, JW conducted Amazing Stories cue would be another top choice for me. I love that one.

- Adam

I like all the choices except Hook and LC. neither is as good as the other choices.

I'd like to know why "The Banquet" and "The Never-Feast" weren't included for the best center piece cues? :thumbup:

I can't believe nobody's suggested "Rescue from Cloud City". Sure, it's two parts combined, but even those separate parts do well on their own. Especially "Hyperspace".

I like all the choices except Hook and LC.  neither is as good as the other choices.

You are wrong.

This has been a Post by Mr. Zero Credibility

I went for Adventure on Earth. It's a great piece even if it is completely ripped of Hanson's "Romantic". I like what Hanson did, and I like what Johnny did. If Asteroid Field had been there I would have picked that though.

Speaking of "borrowing" music from other pieces, check out Gorgon by Christopher Rouse. One it's an awesome piece! And two, in the 3rd section he borrows the ending from Johnny's Forest Battle. Gorgon was composed in 1984, a year after Jedi came out. Coincidence? I think not.

I voted for The Landing from Amazing stories.I listened to that cue for so long recorded off a VHS tape with sound effects,I was thrilled when Varese re-recorded the score...but that cue is played too slow and not forcefully enough,i want Williams original recording in a good sounding c.d. release!

K.M.

I agree very much KM. That is an amazing cue which doesn't quite hold up with the Varase release. Its too slow, at times, as you say and the orchestra seems a little out of balance - a common problem with non JW-conducted music. I'd also like to see these episodes on DVD since the music is all the more impressive when heard with the episode.

- Adam

YOU DIDN'T INLUDE THE BEST OF ALL!!!

The Battle of Hoth from ESB.

I couldn't put "Battle of Hoth" for example because it's more of a Suite of cues.

Neil

I don't see why The Battle of Hoth can't be included just because it is comprised of four separate cues. They form one continuous sequence. Journey to the Island from Jurassic Park is three cues.

The Quidditch Match and Indy's First Adventure also consist of several shorter cues.

(I would have edited my message above, but the board was being quirky).

Wouldn't "The Banquet", from Hook, qualify too? At least the concert version in the Boston Pops CD? I consider that a centerpiece at least.

The Quidditch Match and Indy's First Adventure also consist of several shorter cues.

(I would have edited my message above, but the board was being quirky).

I know what you mean,the cues might have been recorded in "portions",but the focus is on the same action sequence the whole time.Battle of Hoth scores several different scenes all over the place with different characters so it's not as specific.

The choice for Adventure on Earth should actually be The Bycycle Chase.

K.M.

Can't make an informed decision here; only heard four of five of these. However, The Forest Battle is an incredible cue.

The best cue up there is The Truck Chase or as I know it, Desert Chase. :music:

Justin

Why? Did somebody remove "Helicopter Rescue", from Superman - That Movie?