Star Wars DVD's to include new footage

JoeinAR

Our eyes are laid out on a horizontal line ,at least for the non-monsters among us,so it makes sense Widescreen is more natural to look at.

K.M.

I would agree with that, if I knew if that was true. Because I've heard somewhere that most of those widescreen formats aren't really much aligned to our eyes, perhaps almost just as little as fullscreen is. I read about the true format for our eyes somewhere but can't remember, if I remember this correctly at all. So, to me it's not really much of an advantage...yet.

Also, the price you have to pay for this is to me very high, sometimes double the price of a regular screen. Just so you get a slightly more 'natural' look? For most of such high prices you can get a fantastic quality regular screen, with better sound, more clarity, and a much bigger screen. For the same price perhaps you get widescreen for free with black bars, because the fullscreen would be big enough to show a widescreen movie at a decent size.

This is mainly just perception of course, but still, this is, as of yet, one of the reasons I can't see the big advantage in widescreen.

I'd rather wait for the next ®evolution. HD screens or something. Or at least screens that have much higher resolutions, clearer, more true color, more clarity, less flickering, less energy, that sort of thing might be more dramatic and important...to me anyway.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a .

This is mainly just perception of course, but still, this is, as of yet, one of the reasons I can't see the big advantage in widescreen.

Actually I like "Anamorphic widescreen",like the Indy trilogy set,because the black bars aren't too annoying.In true widescreeen(16:9 or something like that),the image is too small on a regular TV.

K.M.

Actually I like "Anamorphic widescreen",like the Indy trilogy set,because the black bars aren't too annoying.In true widescreeen(16:9 or something like that),the image is too small on a regular TV.

Mark, if you have a widescreen 16x9 TV then yes, the bars on an anamorphic disc are smaller or even non-existent. You are also getting the highest resolution off of the disc.

However, if you are watching a 16x9 disc on a standard television and are seeing smaller bars, than you have your DVD player set up incorrectly and you are watching a scrunched image, and everyone will be tall and skinny.

Neil

yeah,your right.If I put a widescreen movie on my PC and don't select"keep aspect ratio"(which will play the movie fully wide like the cinema),then it goes in a hybrid mode that has the movie taller and all the people somewhat longer and thinner...I just thought it was a compromise mode for non-16:9 TV screens.Anyways thanks,I guess I didn't know.

K.M.

because your Dvd player might have options, mine does.

Look at your owners manual

Platinum is worth more than gold. Widescreen is worth more than fullscreen. George knows it too.

BTW, I like the black bars. Isn't that always the case with the 'letterboxed' DVDs? Anyway, it looks nice. It has the feel and look of a framed photograph with a window mat (passepartout) instead of just only the photo. I know the image is smaller but it's way more aesthetic. The cinematography always looks better somehow, even with films you thought were nothing special.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Buying Fullscreen by mistake is the worst.

Good, enhanced over the 1997 SE's would be good, but still.... releasing the originals with them would be best. Damn that stubborn old coot, Lucass!

-Chris, Who thought that Simpsons parody on the Star Wars prequels was all too funny... :(

a much bigger screen. For the same price perhaps you get widescreen for free with black bars

Yes, but the prices are going down.

widescreen and full screen are the same prices on dvd, it wasn't that way on tape.

K.M.

True, but what I was trying to say is that if you buy a much more expensive widescreen, overall you will get a decent width yes, but not so much true for height. So, by buying a 'normal' size but still much more costly widescreen, you actually end up with a smaller picture, because the size from bottom to top is still comparitively (?) small, in comparison to a regular screen. In other words, you will have to buy a much bigger widescreen, about 80 the least but preferably 90, to get the decent height you had before with a regular screen. And as such, have a decent size portrait of people projected on the screen. If you do not, you end up looking at tiny heads on the screen. Hope I made myself clear here, English is not my native language. :)

And so, once again, you are spending huge amount of money, for a big widescreen to get a comparitive size to a 'regular' fullscreen. Because you don't want to get smaller in general size do you? If you watch a regular fullscreen tvshow on your widescreen with black vertical bars at the sides, you want it to be just as big as on a regular screen. Or else you've just traded one thing for another, but at higher costs. That will force you to buy widescreen 'two levels' up. If you know what I mean.

And by cutting your losses for buying such an expensive screen, you will undoubtedly spend less on quality. To me anyway, the result is to buy a more expensive regular screen and get it all, including the quality. With the same money you can buy a larger screen than you would have for a widescreen television wich will compensate for a smaller widescreen projection.

Phew.

Well, that's my opinion anyway...for now.

Platinum is worth more than gold. Widescreen is worth more than fullscreen. George knows it too.

----------------

Alex Cremers

On the long run, gold could potentionally be worth more than platinum. Fullscreen more than widescreen.

Who is buying fullscreen for DVD? Not many people my guess. So which will be more scarce? Fullscreen gold then. And so for collectors this will be worth more.

George knows that too. :)

a much bigger screen. For the same price perhaps you get widescreen for free with black bars

Yes, but the prices are going down.

True, and so my biggest reasons diminshes from its glory and power over time, but not yet. :)

Also, the prices of regular screens are going down as well, but maybe not as fast?

However, by that time, we will have better quality televisions. Hopefully. ROTFLMAO

Whats wrong with the BIG VI, V and VI?

I dont see anything wrong with them aesthetically.

The only problem I have with that is that they imply there is a SW Episode I, II and III in existance. Which there isn't. :P

The only Episodes I, II and III in my mind are A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

They should be listed as such.

STAR WARS

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

RETURN OF THE JEDI

Justin -Who's VHS SE version even has this supposed "ANH" listed as STAR WARS and only STAR WARS.

I have never seen the Star Wars films in widescreen (save for a few clips that have appeared in various places). This will be a very interesting experience!

I am all for improving the Trilogy, unless we get a bunch of Senate/Jedi Council/Padmé scenes. Reinserting cut scenes, maybe, but filming new ones, no. Except for replacing Clive Revill in The Empire Strikes Back with Ian McDiarmid (although that raises an ethics question; should they replace somebody who is not around to "okay" it?) In terms of special effects, the movies need work, there is no question; the Millennium Falcon in the Cloud City scene doesn't match the Millennium Falcon that lands on the north platform. Some errors in the originals were not corrected (e.g. black lines around the Rancor). And try to make Jabba a little...better. The CG Jabba in Episode I was okay.

Yeah ANH should really just be called SW. However, since SW is now really a series. A New Hope seems to be a neccesaity.

no its not. In my movie books it is still called Star Wars, it is the one, the true Star Wars, sorta like that Ark thing.

I have never seen the Star Wars films in widescreen (save for a few clips that have appeared in various places). This will be a very interesting experience!

Oh yes. The films definately improved in my eyes, when I saw them in widescreen for the first time.

- Marc

I am all for improving the Trilogy

:roll:

Two of the three films never needed to be touched in the first place. Why should the two superior films be altered to "fit in" with the three clearly inferior films? Why can't the bad films be eleveated to reach the same levels of excellence of Star Wars and Empire?

Neil

I didn't not say "altered to fit in with the Prequel Trilogy." Just an improvement of special effects, mostly (see the rest of the paragraph). The Imperial March would be nice in A New Hope as well.

The Imperial March would be nice in A New Hope as well.

Again, why try to shoehorn Star Wars to be like the others, when in fact it would be in the other films best interests to try and be more like Star Wars?

Neil

IMO the Imperial March is a more grand and evil theme for the Empire. But emphasis on "IMO." We'll just have to see what Lucas/Williams do with A New Hope.

I didn't not say "altered to fit in with the Prequel Trilogy." Just an improvement of special effects, mostly (see the rest of the paragraph). The Imperial March would be nice in A New Hope as well.

Star Wars already has an Imperial theme. Why does it need another?

Justin - Lobbing in his grenade and diving for cover. :P

****IDIOT ALERT****

****IDIOT ALERT****

THIS PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY

IMO the Imperial March is a more grand and evil theme for the Empire.

Unless you say IMHO and place it in several parts of the sentence, it doesn't pass around here...

...Anyway, it's interesting that you say it is "more grand and evil," as a number of people -- notably Jeff Bond of Film Score Monthly (and Cinescape) -- have commented that they feel the theme is too cartoonish.

what's funny is that even before there were any mention of Special Editions of the SW films,I was always saying to myself that some of the space battle effects in ANH and ESB should be re-done and the films re-released with improved effects.There is a big technological gap even between Star Wars and Return of the Jedi.

K.M.

What's funny is that even before there were any mention of "Special Editions" of the SW films, I was always saying to myself that the script of Return of the Jedi should be re-done and the films re-released with an improved finale. There is a big dramatic gap even between Star Wars/ and Return of the Jedi.

Neil

then why did you waste your time and ours posting?

I still feel ROTJ is a very good film. A CLEARLY FLAWED good film, but a good film still. I mean the movie has some nice action, some powerful scenes and overall an intense feel. Sure OK the movie has MANY problems. Not the least of which is are fine furry friends. I openly admit that the movie is kind of a let down after the emotionally charged ESB. However, its still a fairly good final film.

IMO ROTJ is like an EARLY warning sign of the FULL downfall of Lucas coming later with the SE's and of course the prequels.

I always thought about the many ways ROTJ could've been a truly spectacular final film. Darker in line with the 2nd film. with deeper plot lines like Luke REALLY struggling with the Dark Side and Vader making good on his pledge to betray the Emperor.

That still bothers me BTW. In ESB Vader mentions how he'd like to see him and Luke destroy the Emperor and claim all the power for himself. Yet in ROTJ he seems like a totaly slave to the Emperor. WTF is that? Make up your mind! Is the guy loyal or isn't he?

I always thought about the many ways ROTJ could've been a truly spectacular final film.

My main problem with ROTJ is not in the Ewoks, but Han Solo. If I could fix one thing about Jedi it would be Hans role. The Han/Leia plot goes almost no where. Here's what I would like to have seen... Luke breaks the news to Leia right away. Han and Leia have their argument while they are still with the Rebel Fleet before going to Endor. As a result of their argument, Han decides that he wants to lead the assault on the Death Star rather than be part of the strike team, because he's jealous of Luke and can't deal with his own feelings. Han, Chewie and Lando fly the Falcon together (like the good old days?) while Luke and Leia lead the strike team.

Luke goes off to face Vader and the Emperor while Leia becomes the sole leader of the Rebel forces on Endor, something her mother would have been proud of. Han (and company) destroy the Death Star but after several near brushes with death during the battle he realizes that he loves Leia and decides that if they both make it through the battle alive, he will tell her how he feels whether she loves Luke or not (remember he still doesn't know).

Cut to the end, everyone is reunited, the finale has much more emotional weight as Leia tells Han that Luke is her brother etc. and the two embrace. We get to see Han and Chewie be the best pilots in the galaxy and destroy the Death Star.

That still bothers me BTW. In ESB Vader mentions how he'd like to see him and Luke destroy the Emperor and claim all the power for himself. Yet in ROTJ he seems like a totaly slave to the Emperor. WTF is that? Make up your mind! Is the guy loyal or isn't he?

I always thought Vader was merely trying to manipulate Luke, tempting him with power but also appealing to Luke's "good side" by saying that Luke could "end this destructive conflict" if he gave in.

The Emperor clearly has something over Vader. Remember when Luke slipped by Vader and got to Endor, the Emperor commented that it was strange that Vader sensed and Luke and yet he himself could not. Vader is probably scared of the Emperor like everyone else.

your point is Han is the problem, but then you point out other problems.

The film as a whole is a problem, the acting by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher is abysmal. Their scene together where Luke tells Leia they are brother and sister is laughably bad. "Luke, run away, run away, as far as you can, I wish I could go with you." yuck. Vader's redemption, the fact that Luke isn't the one, but Vader himself, yuck.

****IDIOT ALERT****  

****IDIOT ALERT****  

Quote:  

THIS PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY TANG THE OFFICIAL DRINK OF THE APOLLO ASTRONAUTS

Oops, what I meant to say was, the Imperial March is a horrible, horrible piece of music, and it isn't disrupting at all to hear it in the first three movies and the last two but not right in the middle, and that the original versions of the film and the 1997 soundtrack are impossible to attain, so if it is added to A New Hope, we'll never hear the music as it was originally intended to be heard again.

Oops, what I meant to say was, the Imperial March is a horrible, horrible piece of music, and it isn't disrupting at all to hear it in the first three movies and the last two but not right in the middle, and that the original versions of the film and the 1997 soundtrack are impossible to attain, so if it is added to A New Hope, we'll never hear the music as it was originally intended to be heard again.

If all you care about is Star Wars and not the sequels and prequels, preserving the original film becomes very important. Lucas wants it to all be one series of films, but every change he makes to Star Wars only proves what a unique film it is and how far everything that came after it got away from that level of greatness.

Neil

I always thought about the many ways ROTJ could've been a truly spectacular final film.

I always thought Vader was merely trying to manipulate Luke, tempting him with power but also appealing to Luke's "good side" by saying that Luke could "end this destructive conflict" if he gave in.

The Emperor clearly has something over Vader. Remember when Luke slipped by Vader and got to Endor, the Emperor commented that it was strange that Vader sensed and Luke and yet he himself could not. Vader is probably scared of the Emperor like everyone else.

That's pretty much correct. The Sith order is very unstable; it's always full of double-crossing and back dealing. Why share the glory and power with someone else when you can have it all to yourself? Of course Vader would love nothing more than to rule the galaxy with Luke at his side. But what's he going to do, tell that to Luke's face in Palpatine's presence? He'd be fried to ashes before all is said and done. In fact, Palpatine used this psychology on Vader to Luke: "Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side!" Vader was quite afraid of the more powerful Emperor, and an easy pawn to deal with.

Even Dooku (a.k.a. Darth Tyrannus) pulled the same mind games on Obi-Wan. Get rid of the other guy and find a younger, stronger, more impressionable apprentice to be your partner in crime.

TheForce.net has posted news about who'll be appearing on the commentaries for each movie. I was surprised to see that Irvin Kershner and Lawrence Kasdan are participating.

Great news! I have been wondering for a long time whether or not Larry Kasdan would be giving a commentary. He's one of my favorite screenwriters and with the exception of last year's Dreamcatcher, I think he's a wonderful director. I can't wait to hear his thoughts on the Star Wars sequels.

Ted

Ben Burtt's commentary for Episodes I & II were quite bland. I really thought he was clapping himself too much on the back (Lucas was no better!), including the unnecessary part where he says about how great and how proud he was of a particular sound because he son had recorded it. I didn't care for the name-dropping bit. Burtt should go back to the sound department as he editing thus far has a lot left to be desired.

The last thing Star Wars needs is family getting involved. We have Lucas and son for the creation for Jar-Jar Binks, y'know.