Favorite Harry Potter Theme

Ray Barnsbury

Favorite Harry Potter Theme  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Hedwig's Theme
    • Nimbus 2000 (2nd half of Prologue, Mr. Longbottom Flies)
    • Harry's Theme (Harry's Wondrous World)
    • Family Theme (Leaving Hogwarts)
    • Quidditch Fanfare
    • Hogwarts Forever!
    • Sorcerer's Stone Motif
    • Voldemort's Theme/You-Know-Who Theme
    • Fawkes the Phoenix
    • The Chamber of Secrets
    • Gilderoy Lockhart
    • Dobby the House Elf
    • Other

With the release of John's score for PoA not too far on the horizon, I thought it would be interesting to see how the popularity of his exisiting HP themes stands as they are now, before any new additions. I included all major themes, and some minor motifs. I left out some that had to do only with specific scenes, were questionable as themes altogether, or just not as developed or important (The Flying Car, Forbidden Forest, Spiders, Moaning Myrtle, Christmas, etc). But if your favorite is left off, by all means check "Other" and let us know!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Fawkes. I think it's the most moving and beautiful of all the HP themes. Close runners up are Hedwig's Theme, the Family Theme, Nimbus 2000, and Dobby.

Ray Barnsbury

Fawkes the Phoenix by far. I love this not only because of it's musical merits but because it realy embodies, Dumbledore, Fawkes, Harry and the mystical spirit that is the Harry Potter series.

I voted for the 'Family Theme'. it adds some serious emotional stuff to the movie, especially when Harry is looking into the mirror and sees his parents. it makes you feel what Harry must be feeling, and i doubt that we would be able to experience that without that theme.

Fawkes theme is also an amazing piece. It really describes the majestic creature that Fawkes is. Dobby's theme is very playful and fits to the character it portrays.

Hedwig's Theme. There's lots of great stuff in the Potter scores, but I don't know any other piece that so brilliantly captures the spirit of the stories, and the source material, like Hedwig's Theme. Williams at his best.

- Marc

I voted for the 'Family Theme'. it adds some serious emotional stuff to the movie, especially when Harry is looking into the mirror and sees his parents. it makes you feel what Harry must be feeling, and i doubt that we would be able to experience that without that theme.

There, Erin said it. The best theme from the saga, and therefore one of John Williams' best themes.

Coming second are Hedwig's Theme, of course, and The Chamber of Secrets. Nimbus 2000 is also good.

For me it was a tossup between 'Chamber of Secrets' and 'Fawkes'. 'CoS' ranks among the top with some of Williams' all time villain themes. But I went with Fawkes, its just too beautiful and wondrous for me not to vote for. I've said it before, but I think I like this piece more than Yoda's Theme. I love how it is used in 'Dueling the Basilisk'.

But doesn't Hedwig's theme include Nimbus 2000?Unless we're only talking about the lovely part played on celeste,. which would be the first part of "Hedwig's Theme" on CD.

Jeff -- who voted for "Nimbus 2000," the most fun theme of the series

I have loved Fawkes's Theme from the the moment I first heard it. It's a theme that has continued to get better with each listen.

Anthony

Hedwigs theme for me, but I love COS and Fawkes, and Dobby, and Diagon Alley, etc, etc.

But doesn't Hedwig's theme include Nimbus 2000?Unless we're only talking about the lovely part played on celeste,. which would be the first part of "Hedwig's Theme" on CD.  

Yes, that's what I meant. Each option is a theme rather than a piece, though some are named after their concert arrangements.

Ray Barnsbury

As much as I love every theme and note of music in the Potter music world, I voted for Hedwig's Theme. I wish I could have voted for them all, but Hedwig started it all for me. When I heard that celeste tinkling in the trailer and transforming into booming brass I knew I had to learn more about this "John Williams". I'd heard of him before, and indeed, his music (especially "Welcome to Jurassic Park" and "The Imperial March"; both of which I listened to regularly) but I knew I had to get this soundtrack. The way that Hedwig's Theme was woven into the score so much was magic, and while I hear people calling it overexposed I disagree. Yes, sometimes themes are overexposed in movies, but many more are criminally underused ("The Chamber of Secrets" anyone?). Hedwig's Theme had the perfect balance of usage, and I thank Williams for that. "Harry's Wondrous World" caught the wonder of the movie, but nothing held the magic of the books than "Hedwig's Theme". Williams based it on the book, without seeing any movie material, I heard.

Harry's Wondrous World and The Quidditch Match are both very splendid pieces. I'm sure I'll appreciate the music even more when I get around to seeing these movies....someday. 8O

Hedwig's Theme is Harry Potter.

But Fawkes the Phoenix is a close second...it represents perfectly the change in tone of the Potter series that begins in The Chamber of Secrets. A more mature theme.

However, after a long portion of new music, it is wonderful to hear good ol' Harry's Theme, or the Family Theme. And at the very end, Hedwig's Theme. In fact, I think a crucial music component of the seventh film, if the series lasts that long, is that Hedwig's Theme must play at the very end of the credits. Not Nimbus 2000, but Hedwig's Theme on the celesta. Quietly. Then it fades away...the end.

And Voldemort's Theme is spine-tinglingly evil. Oh, they're all good, save for a few mediocrities (Gilderoy Lockhart, Moaning Myrtle).

Also, what is the Sorceror's Stone motif?

Nice to see a new poster! The Stone motif is an ominous three-note motif heard various places throughout both scores (some, including myself would argue that it's misused in CoS since it clearly represents the stone in PS/SS). You can hear it in The Gringott's Vault, The Moving Stairs, and The Face of Voldemort in the first score. Enjoy posting here!

Ray Barnsbury

However, it could still keep a certain common meaning in COS; it might refer to "stuff related to Voldemort". Perhaps POA will shed some light on this.

Marian - who hopes Williams will be back for GOF with some serious Voldemort theme action.

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

Nice to see a new poster! The Stone motif is an ominous three-note motif heard various places throughout both scores (some, including myself would argue that it's misused in CoS since it clearly represents the stone in PS/SS).

That theme was what I had in mind when I mentioned "Voldemort's Theme." Misused in Chamber of Secrets? Yes...but it is a very fitting theme for Voldemort. More so than his "official" theme, IMO. Well. It's a nice evil theme. Awesome rendition in "Meeting Tom Riddle"!

However, it could still keep a certain common meaning in COS; it might refer to "stuff related to Voldemort". Perhaps POA will shed some light on this.  

Marian - who hopes Williams will be back for GOF with some serious Voldemort theme action.

Okay, here's an idea...keep most of the film completely devoid of it...worry people, make them fear that the theme is no more. THEN, when Professor Trelawney makes her prophecy, reintroduce it at last (in similar fashion to its statement in "Diagon Alley"). Flirt with the theme a little for the rest of the movie, but no grand statements...sort of a foreshadowing effect. Bring it back in full force for Goblet of Fire!

I think every peace of music for the movies is beautiful. I've said this before, when listening to Fawkes the Phoenix, The Chamber of Secrets, Gilderoy Lockhart, Dobby's theme, Hedwig's Theme, Quidditch Fanfare, Family Theme, Leaving Hogwarts, Harry's wonderous world it's almost as if William's scored the books and not the movies. Because it represents the spirit of the books so well.

Harry's Theme.Every time it's quoted it's a highlight of the score,and the cue Harry's Wondrous World is the best track of all the HP tracks,and one of Williams best ever IMO.

K.M.

Harry's Theme.Every time it's quoted it's a highlight of the score,and the cue Harry's Wondrous World is the best track of all the HP tracks,and one of Williams best ever IMO.

K.M.

Yes. I often compare it to the Star Wars main titles theme.

Cerrabore - where in MA?

Okay, here's an idea...keep most of the film completely devoid of it...worry people, make them fear that the theme is no more. THEN, when Professor Trelawney makes her prophecy, reintroduce it at last (in similar fashion to its statement in "Diagon Alley"). Flirt with the theme a little for the rest of the movie, but no grand statements...sort of a foreshadowing effect. Bring it back in full force for Goblet of Fire!

Good ideas. I've also been hoping for a sinister rendition of the You Know Who motif for Trelawney's prediction. I hope Williams delivers!

Ray Barnsbury

I chose Hogwarts Forever!, though Wonderous World and Dobby were very close. Come to think of it all were very close! I just love these soundtracks so very much. They are the reason I started to listen to Williams in the first place. But the reason I chose Hogwarts Forever! is that this theme really gives me the feeling of being at Hogwarts. And that's the place where I would love to be 8O

For me Hedwig's theme is the one that epitomizes the world Harry Potter. It instantly grabbed my attention from the moment I first watched the trailer. Initially, I wasn?t exactly sure of what I was hearing or seeing because I had managed to completely disregard the Potter phenomenon at that point. It?s safe to say I enjoyed that trailer far more than the film to which it was attached.

There really hasn?t been a theme or motif from the series that I haven?t enjoyed, but I?d place CoS and Fawkes in a tie for second place. For some reason I seem to enjoy the waltzes the most. I wonder how many of the new themes for PoA will be waltzes.

That doesn't fit how I perceive the function of the themes. The three-note motif, as far as I can see, now represents menace related to Voldemort which is not consciously connected to Voldemort yet - the Stone in PS, and the Chamber of Secrets in COS. In POA, it would probably fit Scabbers.

Then there's the other two themes, which I believe people are still mixing up: The You-Know-Who-Theme (heard when people talk about You-Know-Who), and the Voldemort theme, mostly heard when we see Voldemort in action. In The Face of Voldemort, the You-Know-Who theme nicely morphs into the Voldemort theme, representing the on-screen action.

Thus, if Williams stays true to this meaning of the themes, we wouldn't hear the You-Know-Who theme too often anymore, but your suggestion should work very well indeed with the Voldemort theme.

Marian - 8O

That doesn't fit how I perceive the function of the themes. The three-note motif, as far as I can see, now represents menace related to Voldemort which is not consciously connected to Voldemort yet - the Stone in PS, and the Chamber of Secrets in COS. In POA, it would probably fit Scabbers.  

Then there's the other two themes, which I believe people are still mixing up: The You-Know-Who-Theme (heard when people talk about You-Know-Who), and the Voldemort theme, mostly heard when we see Voldemort in action. In The Face of Voldemort, the You-Know-Who theme nicely morphs into the Voldemort theme, representing the on-screen action.  

Thus, if Williams stays true to this meaning of the themes, we wouldn't hear the You-Know-Who theme too often anymore, but your suggestion should work very well indeed with the Voldemort theme.  

I see what you mean regarding the 3-note motif. In fact, back when CoS was released, I tried to justify its use by using the same reasoning. I guess seeing PoA will let us know if it's truly a "things secretly related to Voldemort" motif (though I think using it for Scabbers throughout the film would be a huge giveaway), or just a recycling job due to the lack of time Williams had to spend on CoS. I do agree with you about the Voldemort/You-Know-Who themes; I included them together in the poll because they're similar both musically and in their meanings. I think we would hear the You-Know-Who motif in the future however, such as during Trelawney' prediction.

Ray Barnsbury

It's very hard to pick one, as I love almost all of them. For me, it comes down to Hedwig's theme -as it musically defines Harry Potter, and really perfectly fits in the world- and Fawkes' Theme, it's just so beautiful on it's own, Williams most recent genuinly classic theme.

I'd probably pick Fawkes, but I'm not sure.

(though I think using it for Scabbers throughout the film would be a huge giveaway)

True. He'd have to write a woodwind scherzo variation of it or something.

Marian - :mrgreen:

:thumbup: Spirited Away (Joe Hisaishi)

For some reason I seem to enjoy the waltzes the most. I wonder how many of the new themes for PoA will be waltzes.

These two and Hedwig's Theme sound like waltzes, but actually are in compound time (if that means anything) so technically are not waltzes.

I can't wait until the Yule Ball in GOF, where I know Williams (providing he's still on board) will compose some great music. I'm waiting to hear Hedwig's Theme as a waltz, that would be excellent. It has sort of been waltz-y before, in COS Harry leaves Dumbledore's office and catched up with Dobby and Luicius. Hedwig's Theme is playing slowly and it sounds really good.

I dunno, won't the Yule Ball be source music? Perhaps some kind of "wizard rock."

Cerrabore - where in MA?

Right on the Cape Cod Canal.

I dunno, won't the Yule Ball be source music? Perhaps some kind of "wizard rock."

It could still be Williams' themes; Hagrid played Hedwig's theme on a recorder in the first film.

Ray Barnsbury

It could still be Williams' themes; Hagrid played Hedwig's theme on a recorder in the first film.

Ray Barnsbury

There might be a chance they get a vocal artist to write a song based on Williams' music for the yule ball. that would be awesome.

:mrgreen: Hmmm, not sure about that. What kind of artist exactly? I'm assuming you don't mean a bubble-gum-pop-Britney-boy-band type song. I mean, Williams is a seasoned and talented songwriter himself; I don't know if "outside intervention" would be needed.

Ray Barnsbury

:mrgreen:  Hmmm, not sure about that.  What kind of artist exactly?  I'm assuming you don't mean a bubble-gum-pop-Britney-boy-band type song.  

Ray Barnsbury

Christ, no. I mean similar to what was done with LOTR.

(though I think using it for Scabbers throughout the film would be a huge giveaway)

True.

Nah.it would only be a givaway to JWFANS,the rest of the world would just get a faint subconcious hint.

K.M.

If ominous music plays whenever we see Scabbers, people will pick up on it. There was no hinting about it in the book, why should there be in the film?

Ray Barnsbury

Williams is a seasoned and talented somgwriter himself; I don't know if "outside intervention" would be needed.

He should work with his son Joseph again as well as Ernie Fosellius and Annie M. Arbogast. They all had a successful collaboration in the past when writing a source cue.

Neil

Christ, no. I mean similar to what was done with LOTR.

Except for the two Enya songs, they were all written by Shore and just performed by others. (Annie Lennox might have had a hand in writing the ROTK song, but I think at least most of it was Shore).

Marian - not a fan of Williams' songs.

My fav theme is the third theme heard in Hedwig's Theme and also in Mr. Longbottom Flies. That one really gives me the feeling of being able to fly. Is this the theme which is referred to as the Nimbus 2000 theme?