Who would you want to replace JW on "HP And Goblet Of F

hips

Who would you want to replace JW on "HP and Goblet Of Fire"?  

16 members have voted

1. 1.

• James Horner
    • Eric Serra
    • Danny Elfman
    • Christopher Young
    • Edmund Shermur
    • Mark Mothersbaugh

Mike Newell, as you know, will direct the next Harry Potter movie, "Goblet Of Fire". But I doubt he will use a big name composer like John Williams (Newell did not on his last film, "Mona Lisa Smile".

So, before I put this poll to you, I'd like to give you my thoughts. The one person who I would want to replace JW would be...

...Eric Serra. A more modern synth/orchestral score on the lines of Serra's score for "Goldeneye" and "Fifth Element", but using JW's already established themes.

OK, let's hear your opinion.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blasphemy.I shall not vote on this poll.

KM.

That's Dr. Henry Jones Sr. talking.

Mike Newell will use John Williams, whether he wants to or not, just like Alfonso Cuaron had to use him. As Joe says, the directors are more or less "hired guns" who don't have totalitarian authority over the films. Williams, along with countless other aspects established in the first two films, is part of the franchise.

That said, if Williams was unable to score the film, I would really like to hear what James Newton Howard could do. I think he'd be perfect for it. His score for Peter Pan is in a very similar style to the HP scores, and it's fantastic.

Ray Barnsbury

Mike Newell will use John Williams, whether he wants to or not, just like Alfonso Cuaron had to use him.  As Joe says, the directors are more or less "hired guns" who don't have totalitarian authority over the films.  Williams, along with countless other aspects established in the first two films, is part of the franchise.

That said, if Williams was unable to score the film, I would really like to hear what James Newton Howard could do.  I think he'd be perfect for it.  His score for Peter Pan is in a very similar style to the HP scores, and it's fantastic.

Ray Barnsbury

We've discussed this already, and I can't agree more.

Patrick Doyle, who has worked with both Newell and Cuaron, is a big name composer. If Williams is unable to do it for whatever reason, Doyle would do a respectable job. He can do grand orchestral music.

Horner: He would be too cliched -- nothing new other than paraphrasing himself and others. :mrgreen:

Elfman: He can do fantasy, but he's enjoying using his sound library too much with the scores he writes, and it wouldn't fit in the HP films.

Young: Haven't warmed up to his style.

Serra: After Goldeneye, I felt he shouldn't have been allowed to score another movie ever again.

Edward Shermur: Haven't heard enough of his material to get a good enough impression.

Mark Mothersbaugh hasn't done much to impress me...yet.

Well if all that's been written and said is true Warner Bros will probably do everything in their power to get Williams to return for the 4th film. Newell will have no say on who the composer is.

If Williams doesn't return I'm willing to bet they'll get William Ross to adapt Williams' themes.

:mrgreen:

I didn't like any of those choices. To me it's simple. Either Christophe Beck, or Christopher Tyng.

Shermur? Elfman? You're kidding me right? Elfman may have dazzled us with Edward Scissor Hands and Big Fish, but come on.....

Horner and Young are just completely wrong; why not just use Mark Snow and Graeme Revell while you are at it.

My God, are you joking? Serra?! The score is a joke! It's a disease that only Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough and yes, even Die Another Day can cure! Please, tell me it's a joke!

Not only would Newell have very little choice in the matter, but you seem to think he will automatically fire Williams just because he didn't use a big-named composer in Mona Lisa Smile. Maybe because it wasn't a blockbuster that was guaranteed to have exposure in the world of music? Ah, the frustration of it all!!

But if Williams wasn't able to score GoF, my first choice would be Christophe Beck. Listen to his score for the episode of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, "Hush". I think it was his work, I know he worked on the show for an extended period of time. It's a very Elfman-like score, but it works extremely well. The downside is that he is much less recognised than the other choices, and as Horner was first choice for PS I wouldn't be surprised if he was asked again.

If Williams doesn't return I'm willing to bet they'll get William Ross to adapt Williams' themes.

I sense "adapting" and thus mutating with existing material wouldn't work by any means in new films. If they did once so, they would have to continue that habit with all remaining HP movies, which I'm sure would scare off a huge number of audiences. I mean, if Williams won't be able to score new installments past the fourth, I require a serious consideration on whom to hire to do it, which should be just one composer to tackle the rest of the films. Still, I can't imagine replacing Williams on Harry Potter scoring assignments. For me, it would be like replacing J. K. Rowling for the books she's yet to write. Perhaps George Lucas should replace her and tackle the rest himself.

Beck did most of season 2, all of seasons 3 and 4, about a hand full of season 5 including like the first 3 episodes (Thomas Wanker took over) and co-composed "Once More With Feeling..." from season 6 with the show's creator, Joss Weadon.

And he is a perfect choice.

That's right, I had to rewind the tape of Buffy I was watching in the credits because I saw "Wanker" and couldn't believe it. Ugh, poor fella. What a horrible name. Still, he's a great composer. The last few episodes of season 7 were the highlight of his scores.

:mrgreen: At least his name wasn't Randy...

And you made a error - Wanker did seasons 5 and 6.

Robert Duncan did all but 2 or 3 from season 3. Some composer by thge name of Douglas Romayne or something did the rest. Also a lot of uncredited work from the last couple seasons of Angel.

Go to duncanmusic.com and download the 7 cues from Buffy!!!!!

Wanker has been my holygrail so to say of composer I want to contact. I found out he used to work for GSA, but not anymore. And that he's co=composed with up and coming composer Harold Kloser a few times (13th Floor, Der Tunnel). Just recently I think I found him, at least, the e-mail he used when he was scoring for Buffy. No reply though. But ALSO no bounce back saying the e-mail no longer exists.

I would LOVE a CD or 2, or 3 of his work for Buffy.

I absolutely love Williams' scores to these films, but if I had a gun held to my head, I probably either say Danny Elfman or Jerry Goldsmith (although he's getting on in years). They'd be my preferred choices, but I highly doubt they'd want to live in Williams' shadow (especially Goldsmith).

Alan Silvestri or John Debney wouldn't be too bad either... hypothetically.

Elfman, or Doyle.

But folks, this is a very hypothetical discussion, let's all hope the matter won't ever seriously arise until film 7 is in theaters.

Mike Newell, as you know, will direct the next Harry Potter movie, "Goblet Of Fire".  But I doubt he will use a big name composer like John Williams (Newell did not on his last film, "Mona Lisa Smile".

So, before I put this poll to you, I'd like to give you my thoughts.  The one person who I would want to replace JW would be...

...Eric Serra.  A more modern synth/orchestral score on the lines of Serra's score for "Goldeneye" and "Fifth Element", but using JW's already established themes.

OK, let's hear your opinion.

I don't know any Edmund Shermur, but there is a film composer called Edward Shearmur. Do you mean him?

JW will have input into the selection of future HP composers, if any. The HP series will not deteriorate like other franchises that Williams kicked-off but subsequently left (Jaws, Superman). He may even contribute new themes for the major new characters in each installment and let the new composer write an "adaptation" score with the old and new JW material.

Jeff

Give James Newton Howard 2-3 months and he'll produce a Signs-caliber score. He is able to write with both majesty and terror. That identifies Books 4-7.

Mike Newell, as you know, will direct the next Harry Potter movie, "Goblet Of Fire". But I doubt he will use a big name composer like John Williams (Newell did not on his last film, "Mona Lisa Smile".  

what you think is unimportant.

what WB wants is, and they at least know the value of JW.

Of course! James Newton Howard would be the best choice.

Morlock- who thinks Eric Serra would be a terrible choice for just about everything

I have a feeling Williams will quit after PoA,and let other composers do further sequels.The only thing Williams stuck all the way through to date is Star Wars(because I guess it's very important to him,if he tolerates Lucas medlings) and Indy(because it's Spielberg).

K.M.

That said, if Williams was unable to score the film, I would really like to hear what James Newton Howard could do.  I think he'd be perfect for it.  His score for Peter Pan is in a very similar style to the HP scores, and it's fantastic.

All these words are true.

Bruce Broughton would be a nice choice. Anyone remember his Young Sherlock Holmes? A very underrated composer.

Goldsmith would be oh-so interesting. I'd love to hear what he'd come up with.

Definitely not Elfman. His genesis as a film composer has evolved into a more motivic style eschewing the wonderful thematic breadth he had in the early '90's like Edward Scissorhands.

Silvestri would also be an interesting choice too. I'm digging more and more of his stuff as he gets older.

James Newton Howard only if he does the opposite of Peter Pan. His themes of late seem really contrived.

Actually, Horner wouldn't be the worst choice. He can certainly do mock-Williams. Just listen to "We're Back" score. There are some really WIlliamsesque material.

I've got it! Let's start chanting incantations and bring back Herrmann from the grave! Wouldn't that be an interesting choice. Or hell, while we're at it, let's get Sergei Prokofiev. Yeah yeah, that's the ticket!

:devil:

Goldsmith would be oh-so interesting.  I'd love to hear what he'd come up with.

He could re-hash his scores to Powder and Poltergeist 2,then throw in some Warlock, Legend and Magic.

K.M.

Elfman: He can do fantasy, but he's enjoying using his sound library too much with the scores he writes, and it wouldn't fit in the HP films.

Oh, of course he would work out fine. In fact some of his material from Sleepy Hollow, Red Dragon or Edward Scissorhands might have worked fine in HP. I guess the true test of whether or not he'd make the perfect replacement is when he does Willy Wonka. Or if we're talking adapting themes and motifs, give the job to Don Davis. He did a great job on JP3, and this will give him a chance to expand his scope. With Will Ross, you pretty much know what you getting, which may be a good or Bad thing. And since we're talking about replacements, if I were to also choose the next director, I'd choose Burton as the next choice. His directing style would work well with the Potter series, and give it the appropriate darkness that the film's have needed for sometime now.

• 2 weeks later...

Vince DiCola (for Transformers: The Movie & Rocky 4), Danny Elfman (mainly for Batman), James Horner (if only for Braveheart), John Barry (if only for The Black Hole), and Bill Conti (for the other Rocky scores) are my favorite composers following Williams as of this point, and probably in that order. Although I like a little here and there, from other composers, nothing enough to mention any.

• 2 weeks later...

Here would be my choice for Williams' replacement on HP & TGOF

1. John Adams

2. Philip Glass

3. Antonio Salieri

4. Hugo Hoffmeyer

5. Clint Eastwood

If none of the above choose not to participate in this adventure, Korngold could always come back to the arms of Warner Bros. again....all is forgiven dear Erich.

PS: Don't mention the war!

Hitch, who would love to direct a Harry Potter movie but would make it an R rated movie.

Harry is framed by Malfoy for a murder he hasn't even commited yet. Ron seduces Hermine in the Chamber of Secrets and the unused footage of Richard Harris in Gladiator will be cut and pasted onto Michael Gambon's frame as the twit Dumblebore...I mean Dumberdore

Philip Glass? Are you on crack?

And the mere mention of Salieri doesn't make you raise an eyebrow?

Neil

Nope. He's too far down the list, and dead.

And the mere mention of Salieri doesn't make you raise an eyebrow?

Neil

Hey guys :wave:

Salieri not only wrote brilliant music in Amadeus, not only did he outshine Jimmy Malone in The Name of the Rose, not only did he steal the whole Bonfire of the Vanities, he is in my opinion the fastest typist I've ever seen.

Viva Antonio.

If you're giving some away, then you can mail it to me at the usual address.

For the record, Philip Glass doesn't indorse the use of crack. Maybe his opera Einstein on the Beach is an exception to the norm.

Philip Glass for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The petition starts here people!

Hitch :wave: :spiny:

If you're giving some away, then you can mail it to me at the usual address.

Yes, but what a great movie it would make: "Cracked Glass"!

Neil

I wouldn't replace JW in a second, but if I were to do it, I would want James Newton Howard on the job (for all the reasons already offered).

Christopher Young would also be fantastic. I have been listening to his beautiful score for 'The Tower' and have long been a fan of his gothically-inspired work (Flowers in the Attic and Hellraiser II are superlative).

I wouldn't mind if Joel McNeely did it. He did a pretty good job IMHO on Shadows of the Empire.

~Karm- foolish? maybe.

I wouldn't replace JW in a second, but if I were to do it, I would want James Newton Howard on the job (for all the reasons already offered).  

Watch (or listen) Peter Pan.

:wave: I would never replace JW, but I'd love to hear an HP score by JNH in an alternate universe.

Ray Barnsbury

Why wouldn't Newell use JW??

You say hes never used a big name composer before, well yeah but hes also never directed a BIG BUDGET movie before either buddy.

Considering JW has been with the series for 3 movies now I see no reason why they wouldn't want him back especially since hes done such an awesome job so far.

HP Directors don't have a say in what composers score each HP film. If Williams leaves the franchise it will either be because he himself decides to leave or the producers decide to hire another (cheaper) composer. And as long as Columbus is involved in the productions, Williams will always have first crack at each HP film.