Has JW seen the final version of AOTC yet?

Greggeth

JW was recently quoted that he hadn't seen the final version of AOTC, and that he hoped to go to his local cineplex and see it....

anyone know if JW has seen the "real" version yet?

I'm sure it's not as bad as when Alex North saw 2001 - A Space Odyssey for the first time. He had written and recorded music for that film, and went to the premiere expecting to hear his music. Instead, Kubrick replaced the entire score with classical music.

Neil

I thought North only composed half an hour before being told not to finish?

At any rate, isn't the Varese re-recording only half an hour?

He was told that the rest of the movie wouldn't need score as it was just going to be sound effects and breathing. The age old wish is that North would have scored the Stargate sequence. Even though I think the classical music in 2001 has a deeper smbolic meaning in context with the film (and I think it works better), I too would have loved to hear what he would have come up with for it.

NP: Schindler's List

isn't the Varese re-recording only half an hour?

And apparently, becasue of a clerical error, the "Entr'acte" music isn't for 2001 at all, but was music written by North for a television mini series, though I can't confirm that.

Neil

After seeing 2001, North probably thought his score would have worked to excite the slllllloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

and dulllllllllllllllllllllllllllll kubrick film.

Joe, who has seen 2001 quite alot, but never has figured out why it is a classic. Hell I even had a college course where for 3 weeks we discussed and digested the film. I got an A but mine was the "minority report".

That had to be aweful to sit through that. I would have walked out.  

But, it was one of his favourite films.

I thought North only composed half an hour before being told not to finish?

40 minutes, in 2 weeks as well, he worked so hard that he was hospitalised from illness that he received from the pressures.

Even though I think the classical music in 2001 has a deeper smbolic meaning in context with the film (and I think it works better),

I disagree, the North score is designed to resemible the symbolic parts of the temp track so that has score can be just as symbolic.

And apparently, becasue of a clerical error, the "Entr'acte" music isn't for 2001 at all, but was music written by North for a television mini series, though I can't confirm that.

True, I have a copy of it, it's called Africa, a very good score too.

JW was recently quoted that he hadn't seen the final version of AOTC, and that he hoped to go to his local cineplex and see it....

Ford Thaxton however said the re-editing was done by by Williams own editor, Ken Wannberg, that means that Williams was probably fully aware of what was happening and means that Lucas had the decency to let Williams editor do the editing, which is almost like letting Williams do it himself. However, Thaxton isn't the most reliable source.

Morn - An Alex North fan

After seeing 2001, North probably thought his score would have worked to excite the slllllloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

and dulllllllllllllllllllllllllllll kubrick film.    

Joe, who has seen 2001 quite alot, but never has figured out why it is a classic.  Hell I even had a college course where for 3 weeks we discussed and digested the film.  I got an A but mine was the "minority report".

Hilarious, Joe. Hillllllllllaaaaaaaaaarrrrrious!

Dan - happy Joe is not a film critic..... :lookaround:

:) "Main Theme" from The Prince Of Tides (Howard)

Even though I think the classical music in 2001 has a deeper smbolic meaning in context with the film (and I think it works better)' date=' [/quote']

I disagree, the North score is designed to resemible the symbolic parts of the temp track so that has score can be just as symbolic.

Morn - An Alex North fan

You're missing the point. North's score is great music too and it works in the film. I'm not saying otherwise. The temp score has a more non-musical meaning though. The fact that Thus Spake Zarathustra itself was used IS part of the symbolic meaning. Thus Spake Zarathustra was a piece of music written for a work by Nietzsche of the same name. In it, Nietzche writes about man achieving the next level of evolution and becoming something more. That's basically what the entire movie 2001 is about. You can't get the same thing out of North's score (and it has nothing to do with the actual music).

2001 is one of my favorite movies btw.

I was gonna make a post like this.

Will anyone actually know when Williams sees it? I know he said he'll see it someday soon when the crowds have died down.

Man.......I would LOVE yet HATE to be there for that.

Poor guy.....

I'm sure he's already seen it. After all, he lives near one of the best theatres in the world and it is a SW film. I'm sure he went with his grandchildren. And, come to think of it, he probably sat next to some booger-picking SW geek who started bouncing when he heard "The Imperial March" in the movie.

Dan - wondering if Johnny's ever come to the point of "hating" the SW Main Theme

:) "Changes" from The Others (Amenàbar)

You're missing the point. North's score is great music too and it works in the film. I'm not saying otherwise. The temp score has a more non-musical meaning though. The fact that Thus Spake Zarathustra itself was used IS part of the symbolic meaning. Thus Spake Zarathustra was a piece of music written for a work by Nietzsche of the same name. In it, Nietzche writes about man achieving the next level of evolution and becoming something more. That's basically what the entire movie 2001 is about. You can't get the same thing out of North's score (and it has nothing to do with the actual music).

Your missing my point :sleepy: North's main title theme is supposed to resemble Thus Spake Zarathustra, so it keeps it's symbolic meaning by refering to it in a similar way to how Williams does with the Superman main theme :)

So did North compose music for the first 40 minutes of the film, or did he compose 40 minutes of music, that would have been used in various parts of the film?

-Jason, who hasn't seen the movie in quite some time and is thinking he should rent it again.......

:mrgreen: "The Arena pt2" aka Going after Dooku

I've never seen that movie, nor heard North's score.

Dan - who wonders if Spartacus could've been Kubrick and North's collaboration highlight.

:) "One Kiss" from Pay It Forward (T. Newman)

I'm pretty sure he wrote music for the first half of the film, up until the intermission.

Neil

Neil,

Just out of total curiousity, what do you mean by intermission? Do you mean the end of the first reel or do you actually stop the film in the middle like in the old days?

Thanks!

What about the track Interior Orion? That probably refers to the end of the film, in the novel the Orion is the ship near jupiter if I remember.

Yes, I hear and see quite well, actually. I wouldn't say "perfect", but "quite well" is an adequate description.

Dan - whose Mother gasped in horror when she learned her son hadn't seen Casablanca nor Gone With The Wind and is a filmmaker

Wouldn't someone get a kick out of seeing Mr. Williams attending a SW screening at the same time? I think that would be fun to see him watching the movie. Of course, I'd have to go talk to him then. :)

~Harry

Dan - whose Mother gasped in horror when she learned her son hadn't seen Casablanca nor Gone With The Wind and is a filmmaker

:mrgreen: FOR SHAME! GO SEE THEM NOW!

I wouldn't watch the last half, because I'd be watching his reaction(s).

Dan - whose seen a movie with Johnny before

You're too mysterious here. Why don't you reveal your identity?

~Harry

(insert Lucas laughter here)

If I were Spielberg, wouldn't I be too busy to post here. You know, with scoring sessions with Johnny and editing sessions with Mike and lunch here and there with Tom and Tom.

I mean.......c'mon. What are the odds of that, guys?

Dan - fueling uncertainty

Pretty low :) But, you've almost finished miniority report haven't you? ;)

Well, who are you really, Oliver Stone? :)

Well,also remember Goldsmith got the shaft from Ridley Scott in Alien and Legend(and I will keep insisting that Legend incident changed Goldsmith's way of scoring films to this day.)

K.M.

• 20 years later...

I was just a child.

On 21/05/2002 at 6:07 AM, Director said:

Hilarious, Joe. Hillllllllllaaaaaaaaaarrrrrious!

Dan - happy Joe is not a film critic..... :lookaround:

:) "Main Theme" from The Prince Of Tides (Howard)

This was posted on the day of my 9th anniversary. Oh how I wish to go back to those days...

20 hours ago, Garrett said:

I think it's safe to say that he's seen the final version by now.

For his own mental sanity, I hope Williams forgot he saw this movie.

I was already old.  I am now just older.  I still wish Williams had been given the opportunity (and maybe he did and passed) to score the tracked-music scenes during the sessions for RoTs or such.